Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

iregk wrote: »
    I'm assuming v2.1 will have MMS capabilities similar to What App messenger? That for me is the big function that its currently missing.

yes indeed agreed 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dawnymac

Hi Guys,

I've been using Viber for several months now and love it as it means I can keep in touch with family and friends all over the world. However, over the past week it has stopped working on 3G and only works in WIFI areas. I've uninstalled and reinstalled but nothing helps. I'm using an Iphone 3GS, though not sure what software version I'm using.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 viberuser

is there a way to save a viber conversation to .txt file?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

@dawnymac - please check this thread and you'll get the answer:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056398786
    :\

@viberuser - This option is not available yet but we're working on it for future releases. We'll keep you guys posted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 viberuser

any guess on a release date for that update?
    thanks for the quick reply

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

dawnymac wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've been using Viber for several months now and love it as it means I can keep in touch with family and friends all over the world. However, over the past week it has stopped working on 3G and only works in WIFI areas. I've uninstalled and reinstalled but nothing helps. I'm using an Iphone 3GS, though not sure what software version I'm using.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Cheers!

You're with Vodafone then?
    They are blocking viber now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Bens wrote: »

What? How can they block it?

Since when are they doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Any word Viber on the MMS functionality?

@viberuser - nope, unfortunately I can't give you anything specific now but I promise to keep you posted as soon as we have any news.

@iregk - MMS feature will be available on our next version that will be released over the next few weeks :)

Viber wrote: »
    @iregk - MMS feature will be available on our next version that will be released over the next few weeks :)

Superb. Now you're becoming an essential application :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Bens wrote: »

:eek:
    Is this true? Can you confirm this? I've been having trouble using viber recently, but I never thought it might be because VF were blocking it.

@viber, can you confirm this?

@TheQ47 - We think it's VF who needs to confirm this :)
    As stated before, we haven't been in contact with Vodafone concerning this issue, and we do not distinguish in our services between providers, regions, or countries. Viber is free to use and available for everyone as it has always been. There are no blocks on our side that would limit the use of Viber to a specific user, provider or country.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

As stated before, we haven't been in contact with Vodafone concerning this issue, and we do not distinguish in our services between providers, regions, or countries. Viber is free to use and available for everyone as it has always been. There are no blocks on our side that would limit the use of Viber to a specific user, provider or country.

Rang friend who is on vodafone last night + text (delivered) this morning both via viber, so doubt that they have blocked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Thanks, @viber. I contacted them myself, on thier forum. It appears that Pay As You Go customers may not be able to access VOIP services, it's in the contract. If you're on billpay they can send you an email with a new "access point" as the current one is "causing a disruption to these [VOIP] services". It won't cause any extra charges on your package plan, unless you're roaming, so switch back before going abroad.

If you're on billpay, and having difficulty getting access to viber on 3G, see this link: http://bit.ly/p69vZK for the same help I got.

I haven't tried it yet, but will let you know.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭guil

hada wrote: »
    Rang friend who is on vodafone last night + text (delivered) this morning both via viber, so doubt that they have blocked it!
    was he connected to wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Ok guys got a problem with Viber after phone restore.
    Each time I try to request the code to activate Viber no code gets sent to my phone. :(

viber.jpg

@Luckycharms_74 - Please try removing Viber, wait 24 hours and then try to setup Viber again (make sure you try both SMS and callback).

If this doesn't work, please contact our support team at: http://helpme.viber.com and provide them with the details of your issue.

Hi everyone,
    We are excited to announce that the long-anticipated Viber 2.1 has just been released to AppStore and Market!

Among the new features:
    - A whole new sound codec, offering higher voice quality, better support for Viber calls on 3G networks and interrupted internet connections.
    - Photo sharing inside Viber text messages. Not only is it possible to send photos via Viber, it is now also possible to easily share them, upload them to Facebook, etc.
    - Viber text messages are now location-aware, meaning you can share your current whereabouts with each and every Viber message that you send.
    - Viber now supports iOS5.
    - Viber now supports Landscape mode.
    - And many more new features and bug fixes.

Should you have any questions regarding this new version or about Viber in general, please do not hesitate to ask.
    the Viber Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Have you guys updated to new Viber?

Picture sending and location sharing has been added as well as other small tweaks, really sweet! I like that you can tap anywhere in messages now and hide the keyboard, "Free call" button is nice, "Delivered" notification under the text message is nice. Definitely noticed an audio improvement over 3G, it's smoother now, I like the new tab layout on the bottom, logical.

Overall a very nice update!

However, now onto suggestions for the future updates...

- Images received get auto saved to library, not sure whether this is a good thing or bad, IMO would've preferred if they were not auto saved and there was an option instead to "Save to Library" in the "Send by Email", "Share on Facebook", etc... menu. But this might be done to save space on the server and keep pictures locally, I guess? Peer-to-Peer instead of the cloud.

- Also images seem to be sent in lower resolution and there is no pinch zooming images when you view them in Viber.

- Would've been nice if we could share not only our location but any location and address, much like with sending pictures... should be embedded into that menu. Maybe I want to send a person the location of the shop I was in yesterday.

- Video calls.

- Call recording.

- Cheap/competitive VoIP calls to mobiles/landlines service, with top ups, balance check, call history, etc... This would be great, forfone does it, I hope Viber will too cause, I'd love to use one application for all VoIP stuff.

- Audio notes in messages would be great, if a person is not picking up, send an audio clip like in WhatsApp.

- PC Application(and don't make it look like an iPhone like Tango did, it looks stupid! Use the native Windows UI).

Overall, you guys are doing an insanely great job! Thank you very much!

EDIT: Viber beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭brophs

I don't suppose anyone can tell me why all of my contacts (within Viber) appear twice in my contacts list? I'm using an iPhone 4, with the latest version of Viber and iOS 5, though it's been happening for a while now. And oddly when I have two contacts with the same first name, eg Mark Doyle and Mark Murphy, they always display like this

Mark Doyle
    Mark Murphy
    Mark Murphy
    Mark Doyle

• Advertisement

@CyberGhost - the great majority of the features you suggested are in fact already under development. The rest - I will certainly deliver to the company and we will look into adding them in the future :)

@brophs - This problem is usually caused by the fact that you have Google Account contacts synched with your phone, or any other external client whose contacts are synched. Viber creates double contacts because it can't "know" that those 2 contacts are identical. We are looking into a solution for this problem, but for now unfortunately we don't have much except apologize for the inconvenience :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭brophs

@CyberGhost - the great majority of the features you suggested are in fact already under development. The rest - I will certainly deliver to the company and we will look into adding them in the future :)

@brophs - This problem is usually caused by the fact that you have Google Account contacts synched with your phone, or any other external client whose contacts are synched. Viber creates double contacts because it can't "know" that those 2 contacts are identical. We are looking into a solution for this problem, but for now unfortunately we don't have much except apologize for the inconvenience :(

Cheers for the reply. I have an exchange email account that may be causing the problem, but none of the contacts come from that list. So I'm not clear on how the global address list on my exchange email account could be interfering with contacts that have nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Worked fine for the gf a while but then it wouldn't ring when someone called her using it.
    I tried to troubleshoot but couldn't get it to work all the time so just uninstalled.

biko wrote: »
    Worked fine for the gf a while but then it wouldn't ring when someone called her using it.
    I tried to troubleshoot but couldn't get it to work all the time so just uninstalled.

Could you please elaborate on the problem?
    Also - did your girlfriend try it on both 3G and WiFi? Did she make sure the other side did as well? Do both sides of the conversation have the latest Viber 2.1 installed?

Got it last night. Excellent update viber and the picture messaging works a charm. Only thing is both on mine and my wifes phone upgrading didn't work at all. It upgraded but kept crashing when you tried to run it. Had to delete it and re-install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Could you please elaborate on the problem?
    Also - did your girlfriend try it on both 3G and WiFi? Did she make sure the other side did as well? Do both sides of the conversation have the latest Viber 2.1 installed?
    This was the previous version, used on working wifi connections (we have one each in the house).
    After re-installing it worked once or twice but then it would not notice me ringing her.
    If she then rang me once I could ring her again after that once or twice.

I'll tell her about the new version, she might be inclined to try it again.
    Up until it stopped working we were happy enough with it, it's a great app.

As a note, she has a 3g (I'm 3gs) but it was working until last weekend, she's had it for 2 weeks or more.
    I understand if you guys say it's too old to be supported.

@biko - please have her install the new version and fill me in on the results.
    Basically, you are unfortunately right - we officially say that iPhone 3G is not fully supported (but it should certainly work and allow you to make calls).

Anyway - I'll wait for the news from you and we'll work from there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just installed Viber on Iphone 4, IOS 4. Its coming up with this error. It worked perfect on my old Iphone 3gs

vibererror.jpg

Any help will be much appreciated

Edit: I'm on the O2 network with unlimited data tarrif.

@Luckycharms_74 - we are looking into this issue and hope to find a solution soon. We ask for your patience.

• Advertisement

ok after a days use on ios5 its almost unusable. Constantly crashing and each time you reboot it wipes all your messages!

Advertisement