Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

wouldnt bank on that! i was in town at 5.30pm last night and the place was packed!!!

ya the week thats in it i doubt there is gonna be much intelligent disscussion with all those drunken students around, plus i havent finished the book yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Should make it 'interesting'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I suppose all we can do is see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 garyal

Hi,

I just checked up on this to see if any progress was made and it looks like things are up and running big time. I've up to me whatsits in work over the last couple of weeks and forgot about it.

Anyway, I'm kinda glad I missed 'The Life of Pi' cause I couldn't warm to it :confused:when I read it. Tigers and Zebras on boats ain't my thing.

Am I to take it that book is done and dusted now after last nights meeting and has a decision been made on the next book and meeting date?

Pretty much, there may be a quick recap on the 4th as a few people hadn't quite finished the book.

Get started on The Time Travellers wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

I'm going to set up a facebook group for the club to hopefully attract some more members

• Advertisement

I had a great night last night. Great fun and behold...the bar wasn't full of Rag Week students. I was surprised actually.

That's would be great Matt. How does that work actuall? I'm sure I asked you last night about it.

I liked Life of Pi by the way but I really don't see why it got such acolades.

I had a great night last night. Great fun and behold...the bar wasn't full of Rag Week students. I was surprised actually.

That's would be great Matt. How does that work actuall? I'm sure I asked you last night about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dazbags

Hi Guys, glad last night was a success. I'm sorry I couldn't make it last night I have an exam tomorrow and it's taken more time to study for than I anticipated and so didn't get the book finished. Will start on Time Travellers wife. Looking forward to next time.
    The facebook group sounds like a good idea.

Facebook is a bit like bebo, you have a profile and link to friends and groups etc

Hi Everyone,

Just a reminder that the current book we are reading in BookClub is The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Neffenigger, in case any newcomers are unsure of what's going on. The book will be discussed at our next meeting @ Bar No.8, 7:30pm on the 4th March.

Happy Reading and hope to see you there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

T-Bag... pick me up that book today will ye!?

I've only read the prologue so far, I can feel the pressure building

T-Bag... pick me up that book today will ye!?

Hambo, I would pick up the book for you...but I'm extremely broke :(

If you like, you could "donate" or "Bertie" some money to me to act as BookClub moderator. I will reinvest this money into the club...and buy booze for me.

Sound good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

done.. I'll drop you over some *ahem* donations aprés work tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sec

Went to the 1st BookClub meeting. Really enjoyed it. Didn't make it to second but I'll be sure to get to the next one. reading The Time Traveller's Wife at the moment and I'm enjoying it a lot. The Erdinger in Bar No.8 is great :)

Hey Matt,

By the way, was it agreed that you would nominate the first member's book at our last meeting? I know that I suggested it seeing as it was your idea. Not sure if it was agreed upon though. Anyway, I don't see why not so I suppose at our next meeting you could choose. This way, everyone will have plenty of notice in order to procure the book. Maybe decide whos turn it will be after you to nominate the next book at the next meeting.

What do you all think?

I'll start looking for an interesting book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I'd love to go but I'm not very intellectual. I also would not be the best at making conversation at the moment.

Although I would love to learn abit and everything I just dunno!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

MattKid wrote: »
    I'll start looking for an interesting book

Remember, we'll consider your pick a window into your soul and pass judgment forever more based on what we think of it. No pressure tho ;)

I'd love to go but I'm not very intellectual. I also would not be the best at making conversation at the moment.

I wouldn't worry about the intellectual bit. By the end of the night we were telling crap jokes to each other!

• Advertisement

Ok You heard it hear first kids

The book to be discussed on April 1st is

The Motel Life by Willy Vlautin

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motel-Life-Willy-Vlautin/dp/0571228089/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204107723&sr=1-2

only 224 pages so it should be a breeze.

It would probably need to be ordered as he's not a popular author. He's the singer in the band Richmond Fontaine.

One of the reasons I had for getting this club up and running was that I felt I was becoming a bit thick (or maybe I just started to notice that I was already a bit thick) from lack of intellectual stimulation. I suppose the lack of mental stimulation is the main reason so many people are buying those Brain Training Nintendo DS things. BookClub is cheaper and you can drink at it :) and talk to new people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

One of the reasons I had for getting this club up and running was that I felt I was becoming a bit thick (or maybe I just started to notice that I was already a bit thick) from lack of intellectual stimulation. I suppose the lack of mental stimulation is the main reason so many people are buying those Brain Training Nintendo DS things. BookClub is cheaper and you can drink at it :) and talk to new people.

What was the average age group?

I'd ay about 27. That's a guess though seeing as I don't know most member's ages for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 garyal

This is probably a stupid question but whats the book du jour.
    I see two names floating. Are both in play to be read one after t'other?
    Oh and any sign of that Facebook group?

face book group is set up and has only me as a member

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10312701108

It shows the schedule for the book discussions too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

joined! :D

Hi Matt,

This sounds terrible but how do I sign up to the Facebook group?

I think it would be a good idea to take a few photos at the next BookClub meeting so that we can post them up on the club's Facebook page. You know, maybe a group photo of the members and avenue pic??

What do ye think?

• Advertisement

That should read...a venue pic:)

Advertisement