Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Nexus one owners get Gingerbread OTA yet ?

• 06-12-2010 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

nuthin here yet :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Tried it a few minutes ago, no sign yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

According to latest twits;

i.e. an android dev on twitter

An update is a few weeks off. Someone jumped the gun reporting it was being released...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

December 16th seems to be a favourite date that's been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

It'd be great if it was released then.
    But since the Nexus S is the first phone to have it, I'd say an OTA update won't happen til after the Nexus S is launched.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but it'd make sense that the Nexus S has it first; creates a reason to upgrade for market innovators & early adopters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

anyone yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Nope, Nada, Zilch!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭long_b

Don't worry, there'll be lots of noise when it comes :):)

long_b wrote: »
    Don't worry, there'll be lots of noise when it comes :):)

Hear anything ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm really not that fussed anymore. The only thing that seems impressive is the improved copy/paste functionality. To be honest I'm more impressed with todays update for LauncherPro. Really liking the new homescreen transition effects.:D

• Advertisement

apparently theres another update first before gingerbread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Did a manual update to 2.2.2 & a few things stopped working - e.g. could set a pattern lock screen but it never enabled when I'd hit power button, long hold on power button would only give the option to power off (i.e. no airplane mode, etc..). Ended up going back into the recovery menu and wiping cache partition & data/factory reset. Every thing back to normal again but had to install/setup everything on phone again. A bit of a pita but I had been considering wiping it and starting afresh anyway as I had a few other small issues with it - occassionally forgot wifi keys after a reboot, occassionally uninstalled apps after a reboot all by itself. Will see now if those issues have gone away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

CM7 nightly is great on my N1.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

just got notified of and installed an update. Build number is still 2.2.2 though. oh well... was just about to post ad on ebay!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

That's a bugfix for the SMS incorrect recipient issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭long_b

In fairness, for Nexus One owners, the whole Gingerbread build up has been WAY too long and badly managed PR-wise IMHO.

OK I can see how Google wanted to build hype about the Nexus S but it's been lousy for us.

has to be in feb ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

Reason i have this phone is that i wanted the 'Pure' Android Experience and was led to believe that OS updates would come to this handset first or pretty close to Release.. the only reason i can see for the delay is Google are having Problems with the update.. bugs etc.. the lack of communication from Google in this matter is dreadfull their customer support is Sh!te... coming in a few weeks since November is just Ridiculous.. selling my Nexus one in next week or two but wont be getting the Nexus S the Nexus one when it came out had the WoW factor the Nexus S just simply is not that much of a leap forward.. Bad move Google choosing samsung as your Device Manufacturer..

Mobile Crunch reports that multiple sources, including Googlers on location at MWC in Barcelona, claim the 2.3 OTA is coming to our precious N1s by the week’s end or early next week at the latest.

I love how it's sounds so certain up until it says "or early next week at the latest". Which could easily turn into "next few weeks" again. Pretty much implies it'll be out whenever Google decide to get the finger out??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2028308/google-update-nexus-nexus-android-233-gingerbread

If you believe the inquirer:
    SMARTPHONE DEVELOPER Google has announced that it will be sending Nexus One and Nexus S owners Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread.
    Google had been promising Nexus One owners Android 2.3 Gingerbread for months but with every passing week it's been pushing back the update, so 'in a few weeks' has started to carry less weight. Now it seems both Nexus One and Nexus S users will be getting Android 2.3.3, with Google saying that it will release over-the-air updates over the coming weeks.
    For Nexus One owners the update will be the first taste of Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Last week popular third-party Android distribution Cyanogenmod released a beta that ran Android 2.3.1 on a number of handsets including the Nexus One. While Cyanogenmod 7 is still very much in beta, Google's decision to keep version parity between Nexus One and Nexus S users should mean that developers can continue to use either device for development work.
    Last week Google executive chairman Eric Schmidt revealed that the next version of Android for smartphones will be Android 2.4, codenamed Ice Cream, which Viewsonic claims its upcoming Viewpad 4 will be running when it tips up in April. For those who haven't got Android 2.3 yet, there is hope that device manufacturers might bump to Android 2.4, thus skipping Android 2.3 altogether.
    Google warned that the over-the-air update process might take weeks to complete. At least Nexus One and Nexus S owners have a timeline, while for the majority of Android users there is little to no information on when their device will be upgraded to Android 2.3. µ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Not going getting my hopes up. Seen too many similar stories so far

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Why are you all so excited? The only practical thing you will notice from 2.3 is a glow effect when you hit top/bottom of scrollbar. It has many under-the-hood things that allow developers to do stuff, but nothing for normal users.

It will take a few months for developers to use these new features and release new toys for you to play with, there is basically no advantage for you right now. You are NOT missing anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just got the Gingerbread OTA update message now, 43.6MB. Says it will upgrade to 2.3.3. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭ Bowen Harsh Redcoat

Eh no it hasn't? There is a glow effect on slider, that's all I have noticed.

Looks more slick than the 2.2.2 in my opinion.

Don't be vague, say exactly what is different. I can only see the small glowy effect, nothing else has changed. As stated before, the major features are new developer features, not something you will notice until people release apps that take advantage.

-Bar at top there your network, battery icons are black now, the icons are also changed, look similar to those on sense.
    -Notification drop down menu is no longer white
    -browser/phone icons are coloured on bottom beside menu icon
    -pressing power button shows screen switching off like old tv
    -keyboard looks to be completely re-done
    -menu's in general are darker, controls like radio buttons, tick boxes, progress spinners changed. looks more sharper.
    -battery usage shows graphs
    -copy and paste functionality is more user friendly

• Advertisement

Ok fair enough, but most of that is cosmetic stuff that custom roms offered before. It's not really any change to android's internals.

The keyboard anyone could install on 2.2.

I find the buttons on the pulldown menu pretty useless so far, I still use power widget on screen instead.

Advertisement