Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Abhainn wrote: »
    I've only been on my TACX 1680 4 times now but I reckon I have to reach 30.5kph to reach 200watts which would be similar to the above.
    Sounds about right
    Now i know what i am doing with creating my own GPS routes i am going to get some climbs downloaded so feel free to hit me with some suggestions. For now i think i will download the Shay Elliot & Slieve Mann climbs in Wicklow for some hill training next week.
    Does the turbo then change the gradient(brake) automatically for you to simulate the climb? Do you have a visual of it then on the computer/tv screen?

Just wondering how I could do manual simulations of climbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Aliya Wailing Bench

Sounds about right

Does the turbo then change the gradient(brake) automatically for you to simulate the climb? Do you have a visual of it then on the computer/tv screen?

Just wondering how I could do manual simulations of climbs?

Yes it simulates the climb automatically dependant on the gradient via the brake and it feels very accurate. I have it hooked up through the laptop to the TV and it really kills the boredom on the long sessions. It is probably the nearest you will get to simulating outdoor cycling as there are a number of real life videos you can ride along with making up your own routes.
    Not sure how you can manually simulate climbs on your model, does it have any resistance settings?

Sunday
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58887726
    I had planned a 2 hour LSR at Z2HR which turned out to be 1:51 due to a mis calculation on my route:rolleyes: Felt relaxed throughout and enjoyed it apart from dodging a silly cow in her car on the mobile paying no attention around the 5km mark, ending up with me having to jump/fall into a ditch. I covered off 21.1km with an average heart rate of 154. Only the last .5km felt tough which was uphill and underfoot conditions were dangerous.

Week 3 Summary
    29- 05 December|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|11|10:17|160.1km
    Swimming|2|1:50|4.6km
    Cycling|3|3:26|113km
    Running|4|3:47|42.5km
    Conditioning|1|0:45|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|1|0:30|Swim coaching

Totals so far
    15 Nov-05 Dec|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|34|27:37|427.4km
    Swimming|7|4:35|11.7km
    Cycling|9|9:35|299.6km
    Running|13|9:58|116.1km
    Conditioning|3|2:30|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|2|1:00|Swim coaching

Yes it simulates the climb automatically dependant on the gradient via the brake and it feels very accurate. I have it hooked up through the laptop to the TV and it really kills the boredom on the long sessions. It is probably the nearest you will get to simulating outdoor cycling as there are a number of real life videos you can ride along with making up your own routes.
    Not sure how you can manually simulate climbs on your model, does it have any resistance settings?

Cool thats one way to get through sessions. Mine has some slope settings too but other tan sticking it on a particular setting and doing a rep like a gym bike, I see no simulation application to it

Cool thats one way to get through sessions. Mine has some slope settings too but other tan sticking it on a particular setting and doing a rep like a gym bike, I see no simulation application to it

You know what to ask Santa for now:D

• Advertisement

Into recovery week after block 1 of base training,

Monday
    Rest day

Tuesday
    30 min Z1 Recovery Run
    5.9km in 30 minutes on the dreadmill conditions are improving again so hopefully this is the last run indoors.
    30 min swim coaching
    Fully focussed on front crawl for the half hour and it's starting to click. I have the bilateral breathing almost perfected the big issue i had i was not breathing out under the water and when coming up for a breath the inhale was too shallow and not filling the lungs enough. Body position is still not perfect with the hips being low but we will sort that out soon enough.
    No more b/stroke just got to get on with it my sessions doing f/crawl and stop fannying about.

Wednesday
    Lunchtime
    Received my wetsuit in the post so thought i would try it out in the pool all i can say is it feels like cheating. Bumped into two guys at the pool and got chatting, they completed France IM earlier in the year and are planning to do South Africa next. They asked me to join the session and i went along with it even though the guys are well ahead of me in terms of swimming ability. We have planned to meet up to do some more sessions over the next few weeks which is good, training in numbers helps to boost performance if you are with like minded people.
    We went out and done a 200 mtrs warm up followed by 6x100s a 200 straight followed by another 6x100 and 5x50 bursts with a 200 cool down at the end.
    Total distance covered 2.1km in 47 mins.....bloody wrecked after it but feel great as i can sense making real progress on the swim side of things.

Tonight will be a brick session, 30 min bike and straight into a 15 min run.

Wednesday PM
    Brick session planned for tonight. I was not in the mood for this session as i did not get started until after 10pm due to Santa shopping for the kids.:rolleyes:
    Bike: 30 mins
    Added some climbs into the session tonight but it was laboured throughout and did not feel great on the bike. 13.3km covered and stats below.
    Slopebricksession.jpg
    Run: 15 mins
    Quick transition off the bike, put 3 layers on along with a hi-vis jacket.
    This went slightly better 3.4km in 15:25 which equates to 4.32km pace. I checked the outside temperature when i got back in as it felt cold out there....-10 degrees brrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

After a few trys i managed to create the UKIM bike route on the Turbo, well the outleg and first lap of it. Felt good throughout although it was hard work to keep the heart rate in check on the 7km climb which must be Sheep Lane. The few kms after Sheep Lane seem perfect for recovery and getting the speed up so thats good to know.

The hard part of Sheep lane starts about 2km into the drag. Dont be fooled by the descent of Sheep Lane though, its not that long, is on a poor enough surface and ends with a 90 degree left hander (or it did last year due to road works) into a steep hill (wrong gear here equals thrown chain). Having done this race this year IMHO the course elevation doesn't show just how tough all the little drags on the laps are. Apart from 3 longish downhill sections the rest of the course is a mix of short sharp hills and long drags. It really takes a lot out of you (or it did to me anyways). I had done 180km in training on an undulating course is just over 6hrs; IMUK took me 7.24hrs. As soon as the weather gets better you need to get your ass up some hills:) (there is a slight chance I will be going back again in 2011, if so my bike training will consist mostly of hill repeats of Mount Leinster;)).

griffin100 wrote: »
    The hard part of Sheep lane starts about 2km into the drag. Dont be fooled by the descent of Sheep Lane though, its not that long, is on a poor enough surface and ends with a 90 degree left hander (or it did last year due to road works) into a steep hill (wrong gear here equals thrown chain). Having done this race this year IMHO the course elevation doesn't show just how tough all the little drags on the laps are. Apart from 3 longish downhill sections the rest of the course is a mix of short sharp hills and long drags. It really takes a lot out of you (or it did to me anyways). I had done 180km in training on an undulating course is just over 6hrs; IMUK took me 7.24hrs. As soon as the weather gets better you need to get your ass up some hills:) (there is a slight chance I will be going back again in 2011, if so my bike training will consist mostly of hill repeats of Mount Leinster;)).

Thanks for the heads up Griffin how did you find the swim/run around the route. Where did you stay?

Thursday
    Gym session - 1 hour lunchtime
    Gym was fairly quite today so no waiting around
    5 minute warm up on bike
    Leg Curl - 45x15x2
    Leg Extension - 45x15x2
    Leg Press - 100x15, 110x15
    Bench Press - 50x8, 55x8
    Hyperextension - 10kg weight/15x2
    Situps 30x3
    20 minute core work, really starting to focus on working the LPHC area
    10 minute stretch and cool down

Bike - 40 minute zone 2
    On the turbo again this evening, really cannnot wait to get out for a proper cycle once the weather changes. Decent enough effort tonight and i included a nice 5.8km 245mtr climb just to make it a bit more challenging.
    Distance: 19.74km
    Avg speed: 29.5kmph
    Cadence: 96
    Power: 221 watt
    Avg HR: 136
    z2wk4thurs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

Thanks for the heads up Griffin how did you find the swim/run around the route. Where did you stay?

The swim was in a murky lake full of duck crap and algae with zero visibility:D That said the water was lovely and warm and there was loads of room with a well marked out course. You are allowed to do a practise swim on the Friday and Saturday mornings which I'd reccomend.

The run is not too bad. If its the same route as 2010 then the first bit out of transition is uphill and offroad followed by a flat bit to the start of the 3 'lap' bit. There are 2-3 biggish hills into / out off Bolton but they're not too bad. Its probably hillier then Dublin but flatter than Conn. Biggest issue on run (and bike) is the complete absence of distance markers on the course and salty foods at the aid stations.

I stayed in the Holiday Inn in Bolton. Its only a 2 minute walk from the finish line. The big problem with IMUK is that everything is in a different location: T1 / T2 / Finish / Registration / Race Briefing. A car with a sat nav is a must. On the day there are buses from the Reebock stadium car park to the start and from the finish back to the stadium again. I didn't use the buses and instead got a taxi to the start (about £15), walked back to the hotel at the finish and then drove back to get my bike from T2 - you have to have your bike removed by midnight apparently.

Hope this helps.

Friday
    Run - 45 minute
    Out at lunchtime for a decent run with plenty of hills and a small bit of cross country. A few of the kms were under 4.15 which is fast for me.
    Distance: 9.1km
    Time: 44.45
    Pace: 4.55km/7.54mile

Swim - 60 minutes
    Feeling a bit more confident about my f/crawl from my earlier session in the week and this session helped the confidence further, really feel that the technique is getting there. I am not going to follow the don fink swimming plan until i get the endurance up so plan on building up the distance on each set week on week.
    5x200@20 sec rest, 1x400@30 sec rest, 5x200@20 sec rest
    Distance: 2.4km
    Time: unsure forget to start stopwatch around 51/52 mins

Saturday
    Bike long ride- 90 minute zone 2
    Nothing like spending your Saturday evening on the turbo....not!! I normally like to get my long runs and bike done early at the weekends but given the fact i was at a XMAS party last night the usual am spin was out the window. Decent effort and worked up a good sweat.
    Distance: 58.9km
    Avg speed: 39.2kmph
    Cadence: 98
    Power: 220 watt
    Avg HR: 133
    satwk490mins.jpg

Sunday
    Run - 90 minute LSR
    Suffering with a touch of man flu:o so took it easy enough out there today. I found the last few km a bit of a struggle which was strange as the pace was easy.
    Distance: 17.2km
    Time: 92 mins
    Pace: 5.21km/8.37mile
    HR: 149

Week 4 Summary
    06 - 12 December|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|11|8:51|132km
    Swimming|2|1:39|4.5km
    Cycling|3|2:40|91.9km
    Running|4|3:02|35.6km
    Conditioning|1|1:00|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|1|0:30|Swim coaching

Totals so far
    15 Nov-12 Dec|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|45|36:29|559.4km
    Swimming|9|6:14|16.2km
    Cycling|9|12:15|391.5km
    Running|17|13:00|151.7km
    Conditioning|4|3:30|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|3|1:30|Swim coaching

Into block two of the build phase next week.

Awful start to the week, funeral, man flu and the busiest week of the year in work means this is going to be a very tough week without missing a session:(
    Monday
    Swim - Planned 60 minutes
    I had planned a 60 minute session which i binned half way through due to a combination of my head not being in it and generally just felling like ****. My stroke was terrible and i was generally just so so slow.
    6x200@20 sec rest
    Distance: 1.2km
    Time: 31 mins

Tuesday
    Run - 45 minute
    Out on Tuesday evening as i had a funeral to attend for most of the day. Felt good to get out and really enjoyed the run as it cleared the head. It was a planned recovery run but it was a slightly quicker pace than expected.
    Distance: 10.2km
    Time: 45.30
    Pace: 4.27km/7.10mile
    HR: 155

Wednesday
    I had planned to do the swim early morning or at lunchtime but not to be with work so changed it around to a full swim/bike/run brick session. I got home from work around 8pm just in time for kiddies bedtime, got the turbo setup and then my swim/cycle/run gear ready heading off for the gym at 9pm.
    Swim
    Swim was miles apart from the Monday session. I increased to sets of 250 and in fact completed 500 straight. I think this is the fastest i have gone so far for my f/c sessions so pretty happy with that. Had my cycle gear with me and the gym is around the corner so a quick enough transition of 15 minutes considering changing and driving back to the house.
    4x250@20 sec rest
    1x500@60 sec rest
    4x250@20 sec rest
    Distance: 2.5km
    Time: 55 mins
    Transition time: about 15 minutes
    Bike
    HR was fairly high but probably explained from the HR still being above 100 after the swim. Split the session into 5 minute flat/5 minute slight gradient x 3. A quick dry down and change of clothes in a 3 minute transition to run.
    Distance: 17.2km
    Avg speed: 34.1kmph
    Cadence: 98
    Power: 219 watt
    Avg HR: 148
    wk5thursbrick.jpg
    Run
    HR finally settled down even though my pace was quick enough
    Distance: 3.6km
    Time: 15.25
    Pace: 4.20km/6.58mile
    HR: 152

20 minute stretching after

I will sleep like a baby tonight!!

Tuesday
    Run - 45 minute
    Pace: 4.27km/7.10mile
    HR: 155

Wednesday
    got the turbo setup and then my swim/cycle/run gear ready heading off for the gym at 9pm.
    I will sleep like a baby tonight!!

I say you did, that was a tough workout last night so late. Your run paces for T runs are very good. Whats your LSR pace generally?

Thursday
    Due to time constraints again i combined my gym workout and bike session (hate gym bikes).
    Gym - 75 minutes
    5 minute warm up/stretches
    Leg Curl - 45x15, 50x15
    Leg Extension - 45x15, 50x15
    Leg Press - 110x15, 120x15
    Bench Press - 50x8, 55x8, 60x8
    Hyperextension - 10kg weight/15x2
    Situps 30x3
    30 minute core work, abs are killing me this morning...probably focussed on them too much last night.

Bike - 45 minutes Zone 1
    Could not face showering/changing and then going home to do the turbo so decided to do this in the gym.
    Distance: 27.4km
    Avg HR: 129

10 minute cool down and stretch followed by steam/sauna.

I say you did, that was a tough workout last night so late. Your run paces for T runs are very good. Whats your LSR pace generally?

LSR pace is generally around 4.50-5.20 km depending on how i feel. It normally works out around 40/50 secs per km slower on the LSR's.
    Yes that session was tough particularly after a long gruelling day in work, has to be done though!!

Friday
    Swim - Planned 60 minutes
    8x300@20 sec rest and 1x500
    Distance: 2.9km
    Time: 64 mins

Run - Planned 60 minutes
    Headed out before a Xmas party and it was brass monkeys out there even with 4 layers on!! I had a couple of close calls on the ice but thankfully stayed upright.
    Distance: 11.8km
    Time: 58:14
    Pace: 4.55km/7.54mile
    HR: 151

Saturday
    Run - Planned 105 minutes
    Woke up so hungover and did not get out until around 2.30pm for the run. I really struggled for the first few kms and the HR was unusually high for the effort but thankfully i ran the hangover off and continued with the run. Took in a few snow trails and got home just before it got dark. I was that tired after this and coupled with last nights boozy session i had to have a nap when i got home:)
    Distance: 19km
    Time: 1:41:11
    Pace: 5:19km/8.34mile
    HR: 157
    Summary

Sunday
    Bike - Planned 105 minutes
    Back to back Xmas parties is never a good idea let alone trying to get your BT sessions done. Loaded up the UKIM route again and wanted to beat the 2hr time i posted 2 weeks ago, ended up taking nearly 8 minutes off the last time.
    Distance: 64.4km
    Avg speed: 34.3kmph
    Cadence: 99
    Power: 223 watt
    Avg HR: 149
    wk5longride-1.jpg

****ty food selection and the boozy nights will be knocked on the head straight after Xmas.

Week 5 Summary
    13 - 19December|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|11|10:39|160.2km
    Swimming|3|2:30|6.6km
    Cycling|3|3:15|109km
    Running|4|3:39|44.6km
    Conditioning|1|1:15|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|0|0:00|Swim coaching

Totals so far
    15 Nov-19 Dec|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|56|47:09|719.6km
    Swimming|12|8:44|22.8km
    Cycling|12|15:30|500.5km
    Running|21|16:40|196.3km
    Conditioning|5|4:45|Strengthening Work - Gym

Given the week i had pretty chuffed to get all the sessions in. Legs very stiff this morning but swim planned for today.

Monday
    Swim - planned 60 minutes
    Planned a straight session of 2k but allowing myself a few lengths of b/s recovery in between as i would struggle with endurance to complete the full distance doing f/c. In the 80 lengths of the pool about 65-70 were done f/c and the rest b/s so extremely happy with that although technique was off coming towards the end of the 2k. If someone told me that i would swim 2k straight mostly f/c a few weeks ago i would have laughed at them so i am pleased with the progress i am making. Whilst the time is not great it's all about the endurance for now but i would like to get under the 40 minute mark for this distance. When i started training for IM the swim was the biggest concern, could i get around without drowning? Now i am asking myself how quick can i get around:)
    Distance: 2km
    Time: 1k split: 23:25, 2k split 22:49 (Went off too easy on first 1k), 46:14

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    Run - Planned recovery 60 minutes
    Initially planned an hour at lunchtime in the snow but set off late. This was slow and tough going which made a joke of the recovery aspect. Got some strange looks from pedrestians and even more from fellow colleagues when I came back to work looking like a snowman....effing cold out there.
    Distance: 8.1km
    Time: 44.04
    Pace: 5:43
    Avg hr: 153

No swim coaching tonight as place closed early. Whilst I have no issues running in the snow I near sent the missus new people carrier into the boyne river, scary **** I have to say

Wednesday
    Solid day put in,
    Swim - planned 60 mins
    Did not want to end up doing a full brick session like last week so up at 5am for a quick bowl of porridge and a nutrigrain bar and back to bed for an hour before i hit the pool at 6.30am. Brought the wetsuit with me for the early morning start and the fact i knew this session would be tough without it.
    300 warm up
    8x50 drills (going to start these up again to focus on technique)
    5x500 with 90 secs rest in between and i hit the following times
    9:42, 10:08, 9:45, 9:41, 9:49 - total time: 49:05
    200 cool down
    Really tough towards the end but swimming in the wetsuit makes it much easier and obviously helps with the times. Pretty sure this is my longest swim session to date.

Total distance: 3.4km
    Time: 79 mins

Brick Session - planned 45 min bike & 20 min run
    Put the kids to bed (in fact fell asleep in one of their beds) groggy when i got up but got straight to it
    Bike
    Intensity was probably too high for this for the base phase but just wanted to give it a good go. Pancake flat course and i done most of it in the big gear which dropped my cadence slightly whilst increasing my power. Still trying to find that middle ground between cadence/power ratio for IM bike. Tipped into Z3 a little bit but finished up in the upper limits of Z2.
    Distance: 29.1km
    Avg speed: 38.7kmph
    Cadence: 95
    Power: 232 watt
    Avg HR: 153
    Wk6wedbrick.jpg

Run
    Both pairs of running tights in the wash so out in me shorts:eek:. Much slower than last weeks t run given the conditions and the cold air was really taking my breath away.
    Distance: 4.6km
    Time: 22.25
    Pace: 4.49km/7.45mile
    HR: 147

Total time 67:25 and 33.7km covered, enjoying a nice glass of vino right now

Thursday

Bike - planned 60 min Z1 100rpm
    Opted to do this in the gym before some strength training as i was essentially spinning for an hour and it was going to be easy all the way. Kept the hr low throughout but by god it was a boring hour.
    Time: 60 minutes
    Distance: 32.4km
    HR: 122
    RPM: 109

Gym
    45 min session after the bike, decided to focus on arms/shoulders/chest rather than working the legs. No core done in this session although i will do a 20 min session later today.

Going out on a 1hr run in the next hour and may need to do my long bike later tonight which leaves my long run at 5/6am on stephens day morning. It would be so easy just to skip these sessions with the holidays:rolleyes:

Friday
    Run - Planned 60 minutes Z2
    Had been out the night before at another work night out and was feeling the worst of it and the increasingly slushy paths did not help. Slow enough and just hated being out as my form was all over the place but job done.
    Distance: 12.9km
    Time: 1:07:15
    Pace: 5:12/8:23
    Avg hr: 155

No swim today as the gym was closed on Xmas Eve so one session missed for the week.

Saturday
    I switched things around for Xmas day (3 hyperactive kids does that) took a rest day and pushed out the long sessions by a day.

Sunday
    Long Bike - planned 150 min Z1/Z2
    Up for a 6am start on the turbo, head and guts felt hazy/sickly from the turkey and beers, it was probably the toughest session to get myself going so far since i started IM training. Given the fact we had 12 people coming for dinner later in the day meant it was a now or never session. Loaded up the Milan San Remo route 80km which has about 4/5 decent climbs totalling around 900mtr of climbing. It was below par from previous long bikes but the long sessions really cannot be missed, probably 1:30 in Z1 and 1 hr in Z2
    Time: 152 minutes
    Distance: 80km
    Avg Speed: 31.4kmph
    HR: 129
    Power: 209
    Cadence: 97
    wk6long.jpg

Bloody 6 pounds put on in the last two weeks with all the nights out and turkey dinners, diet and no beers until after IM should sort it in the new year.

Monday
    Run - LSR planned 120 minutes Z2
    Felt very strong throughout this LSR and showing good improvements in the later kms. It helped that i had some forward momentum from the previous nights mushy peas:o. I need to start bringing a gel or bar out with me as i started to get some hunger pangs towards the end. This felt easy!!
    Distance: 24km
    Time: 2:05:19
    Pace: 5:13/8:24
    Avg hr: 155
    Summary: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60785262

Week 6 Summary
    20 - 27December|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|10|11:26|196.5km
    Swimming|2|2:05|5.4km
    Cycling|3|4:17|141.5km
    Running|4|4:19|49.6km
    Conditioning|1|0:45|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|0|0:00|Swim coaching

Totals so far
    15 Nov-27 Dec|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|66|58:35|916.1km
    Swimming|14|10:49|28.2km
    Cycling|18|19:47|642km
    Running|25|20:59|245.9km
    Conditioning|6|5:30|Strengthening Work - Gym

Only a swim session missed this week and a slight change on the long sessions but overall a good week.

Tuesday

Run - Fat Turkey Run - Howth
    I forgot i had signed up to run the Turkey Run with a friend so headed off with heavy legs from yesterdays LSR. I was not sure how to approach this, run as a recovery i go for a quick paced run. I decided i would try run close to 4.30km/7.15mile pace and see how i faired. Clicked by the first km in 4.33 with the legs feeling heavy but started to get into a rhythm and ran the 2nd km in 4.28 so was there or therabouts against planned pace. Just as i ran into Howth we were faced with the summit (the steep side) I trundled on up for about a km and had to take a 100 mtr walk due to a stitch/cramps and the legs feeling very very heavy. I ran the next km slightly quicker but lost about 4 minutes in total going up the summit.
    Quickly regrouped at the summit and churned out the rest of the race at planned pace although the hr remained in Z3 for all the race. I think i need to get some decent interval sessions in before the Waterford Half.
    Summary here
    Distance: 11.4km
    Time:54:43
    Avg pace: 4.47km
    Avg HR: 166

Wednesday
    No sessions yesterday as feeling like ****, Gastric bug and what appears to be man flu on top of that:o. Will see how i feel later as due to do a 1hr bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

mind yourself and dont go back to it until your 100%

wife diagnosed me with a mild case of man flu on Christmas Eve so went for a tempo run knowing deep down it was the wrong thing to do

got out of bed today for the first time in 3 days after coughing up most of a lung

Thursday
    Even though i was still not feeling great (albeit gastric bug gone) i decided on a brick session.

Bike: 60 minutes, Z1 maintain a cadence of 110
    Felt lousy throughout and was watching the timer for the hour which is something i rarely ever do.
    Time: 60 minutes
    Distance: 33.03km
    Cadence: Only managed 107
    Avg HR: 124

Run: 20 minutes, Z1
    A quick change of clothes and i was out the door, 10 minutes later i was back in the door. I was coughing/spluttering and turned back 5 minutes out from the house, felt really uncomfortable.
    Time:10:12
    Distance: 1.7km
    Pace: 5.57/9.34 (slowest i have ran in a long time)
    Avg HR: 139

Not a fan of doctors and taking antibiotics but i will wait to see how i feel tomorrow.
    mitresize5 wrote: »
    mind yourself and dont go back to it until your 100%

wife diagnosed me with a mild case of man flu on Christmas Eve so went for a tempo run knowing deep down it was the wrong thing to do

got out of bed today for the first time in 3 days after coughing up most of a lung
    This may have swayed me away from the session if i read it before jumping on the bike:o I hate missing sessions but probably achieved feck all anway from the session tonight.

• Advertisement

Friday
    Felt better today and just back from a sneaky 5k run with the Father before New Years festivities commence. My last training session of 2010!!
    Time: 26 minutes
    Distance: 4.97km
    Pace: 5:12km/8:22mile
    Avg HR: 133

Another year over and thankfully an enjoyable one. Looking back over 2010 i have a few positives/negatives,

Positives
    1. Dropping nearly 3 stone in weight since the start of the year.
    2. Running my first marathon in Cork under 4 hours
    3. Generally just feeling much healthier and fitter than i have done since i was 20.
    Negatives
    1. Missing out on my priority goal of sub 3.30 in DCM
    2. Not running enough 10k races

Looking forward to 2011 i have set myself the following goals.
    Race goals
    A priority race - IM UK which i hope to complete in under 12 hours
    B Priority race - London Marathon in which i hope to complete in under 3:30
    C Priority race - Half IronMan in Cookstown in which i hope to complete in under 5:30
    D Priority race - DCM (providing London goes well) a sub 3.25 marathon

Other goals,
    a sub 1.35 half marathon
    a sub 41 min 10k
    Hit over 1500kms running next year
    Hit over 6000kms cycling next year
    Hit over 200kms swim next year
    Get the BF % down to 7%

Happy New Year Sports Fans!!

Advertisement