Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hernia operation

• 26-01-2010 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Heading in a for a routine !! hernia operation next week. I am curious to know if any of ye have had this operation done and how long were you off the bike. The doc says six weeks before I can get back on the bike which means it will be well into March before I can get back on the bike. This is not ideal as I will have lost of miles by then compared to other years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I was back on the bike 3 hours later, but I couldn't pedal. In truth you'll need most of those 6 weeks. Pay special attention to the remedial work you'll be given, once it's safe to do so. No point in having the Op repeated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

You'll need the 6 weeks at least. I had a Gilmores Groin op (similar to a hernia but lower down) and the rehab was 10 weeks. These surgeons know what they're talking about. The rehab work is especially important - best to do it right first time round, take the 6 week break now and look forward to a summer/lifetime of cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

uberwolf wrote: »
    I was back on the bike 3 hours later, but I couldn't pedal. In truth you'll need most of those 6 weeks. Pay special attention to the remedial work you'll be given, once it's safe to do so. No point in having the Op repeated

What kind of remedial work were you given ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

What sort of hernia (e.g. inguinal)? Are you having keyhole or open surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Had my hernias repaired in 2006 laparoscopically. I took 2 weeks off work and cycled the week after that. My surgeon was happy for me to go with comfort and choose my own time. There are a few approaches to repair and you will have to be guided by your surgeon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm reluctant to advise you, I'm no surgeon. Go chat to a physio.

I had been doing the likes of superman, and similar to target the core muscles rather than the external 6 pack set

What sort of hernia (e.g. inguinal)? Are you having keyhole or open surgery?

Yeah, it is inguinal and it is keyhole surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

That's exactly what I had in October. It's a doddle. Hurts like hell for a day or so!

I was back on the trainer doing about an hour a day exactly 2 weeks after the surgery. A week after that I managed a 3 hour spin up the mountains and from then on I'd say I was 100%.

Good luck!

P.S. Do a good crap before the operation, it hurts like hell after it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

yeah, you having it done keyhole? i had an inguinal hernia fixed in open surgery (shouldice) some 20 years ago…looking back no prob whatsoever…and keyhole should be even less of an issue…it is routine stuff either way…so no reason to be overly nervous…relax and enjoy the days off…

yeah, you having it done keyhole? i had an inguinal hernia fixed in open surgery (shouldice) some 20 years ago…looking back no prob whatsoever…and keyhole should be even less of an issue…it is routine stuff either way…so no reason to be overly nervous…relax and enjoy the days off…

Thanks for that - bit nervous about but I am just anxious to get it over and done with, have had it for too long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭elchanco

Hi trek,

Im having a umbilical hernia OPEN operation (belly button) this week. Whats the recovery period like?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Advice for recovery from hernia surgery should come from your surgeon (ideally) or your GP. Don't try to rush things as you will only risk the repair failing.

6 weeks for an inguinal hernia id the minimum usually advice.
    Umbilical hernia's are less common and you really need to discuss with the surgeon and not here.

Sorry for being po faced but this is quite important...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

6 weeks is sound advice!

I've had one done before, the operation itself is fine but not something you want have to go through twice for the sake of a few weeks.

Just my 2cents!

elchanco wrote: »
    Hi trek,

Im having a umbilical hernia OPEN operation (belly button) this week. Whats the recovery period like?

Not sure on that but as mentioned already, consult with your surgeon/GP for expert advice. My surgeon told me not to attempt to cycle for 6 weeks to allow it enough time to heal and despite my reservations that is exactly what I did. It meant that I was way behind in terms of mileage this year but I was not prepared to risk aggravating it by ignoring the medical advice. I am now just over 5 weeks back on the bike and thankfully no problems at all.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Advice for recovery from hernia surgery should come from your surgeon (ideally) or your GP. Don't try to rush things as you will only risk the repair failing.

Umbilical hernia's are less common and you really need to discuss with the surgeon and not here.

+ 1

RobFowl wrote: »

I understand not to rush back or to take medical advice from a forum. I’m just interested in reading other people's experience on their recovery from hernia surgery. I will definitely consult my surgeon relating to my recovery period. Operation is arranged for Thursday.... just a bit nervous about it! A few sleepless nights ahead!

I understand not to rush back or to take medical advice from a forum. I’m just interested in reading other people's experience on their recovery from hernia surgery. I will definitely consult my surgeon relating to my recovery period. Operation is arranged for Thursday.... just a bit nervous about it! A few sleepless nights ahead!

I was nervous about it also but was not as bad as I feared. Definitely for the first couple of weeks post-op it was sore enough but I think the key to recovery was rest and feet up-worked for me. I certainly was tempted after week 4/5 to get back on the bike as I was feeling a lot better but I decided for the sake of another week or so I would wait. No bother with it since thankfully

I was nervous about it also but was not as bad as I feared. Definitely for the first couple of weeks post-op it was sore enough but I think the key to recovery was rest and feet up-worked for me. I certainly was tempted after week 4/5 to get back on the bike as I was feeling a lot better but I decided for the sake of another week or so I would wait. No bother with it since thankfully

Cheers for the advice.. im usually very active so it will be frustrating not being able to exercise..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

Hi trek,

I had One those Peri-umbilical(belly button) hernias repaired about 2 years ago. I was back on my bike in 3 days, low gears just spinning along.
    It was healing really nicely too, cycling was no problem.:)

Then about ten days after the opperation, I decided to go surfing.
    I tore the wound open,:eek: got s staff infection, and had to go in antibiotics for a week:(

The biggest problem, is recovering from the general anaesthetic.
    They didn't want leave me go home, after the opp.

Eventually, a drop dead georgeous registrar arrived,:D and noting my shaven musclar legs. She asked "are you an athelete?" :cool:
    She said, "You have been given powerfull opiate based drugs, to control your pain" :eek: You are gonna feel a little bit weird, for at least a week.

Now Ive neven taken drugs, but I can now see how all that great music, was written under the influence of mind altering substances:)

Best of luck, Happy Cycling:)

I had One those Peri-umbilical(belly button) hernias repaired about 2 years ago. I was back on my bike in 3 days, low gears just spinning along.
    It was healing really nicely too, cycling was no problem.:)

Then about ten days after the opperation, I decided to go surfing.
    I tore the wound open,:eek: got s staff infection, and had to go in antibiotics for a week:(

The biggest problem, is recovering from the general anaesthetic.
    They didn't want leave me go home, after the opp.

Eventually, a drop dead georgeous registrar arrived,:D and noting my shaven musclar legs. She asked "are you an athelete?" :cool:
    She said, "You have been given powerfull opiate based drugs, to control your pain" :eek: You are gonna feel a little bit weird, for at least a week.

Now Ive neven taken drugs, but I can now see how all that great music, was written under the influence of mind altering substances:)

Best of luck, Happy Cycling:)

lol.....

• Advertisement

oooouccchh... had the o.p thursday avo,home today! Would not want to go through that again!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Yeah, it is inguinal and it is keyhole surgery

I had same done, and was back on my motorbike 2 days later and done an east european tour on it, when i came back i got the staples taken out.
    I would not recommend cycling a bike until it heals a bit, maybe a couple of weeks rest first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

oooouccchh... had the o.p thursday avo,home today! Would not want to go through that again!

get well soon man, lots of rest and plenty of playstation!

cheers.. i got 13 staples, and my bellybutton resembles a bit of jelly... just cleaned and re-dressed it. Ive a day of sport on tv to enjoy..

cheers.. i got 13 staples, and my bellybutton resembles a bit of jelly... just cleaned and re-dressed it. Ive a day of sport on tv to enjoy..

Good to hear that all went well - now loads of rest and patience.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nickhaydens

Hi guys,
    Im due for the operation in a couple of weeks. Its below my waist. I know it probably sounds like a funny question but for anyone that's had it, how long before one can have sex after the operation?

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Hi guys,
    Im due for the operation in a couple of weeks. Its below my waist. I know it probably sounds like a funny question but for anyone that's had it, how long before one can have sex after the operation?

Thanks

It will not interfere with your sex life.
    Just lie back and enjoy.

It will not interfere with your sex life.
    Just lie back and enjoy.

+1

+2;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭John32c

Different experience for me Im afraid..took 8 months to diagnose, I had in that time an MRI scan which was clear, bone scan clear, various blood and urine tests clear.....i then had open exploratory op start of July, inguinal hernia found and repaired and a smaller torn muscle repaired using shouldice technique..its now october...surgery pain seems to be gone still some numbness, but still sore and uncomfortable along and below one side of scrotum...was using stonger painkillers but down to using solpadeine when the chemist will give them to me after the 3rd degree

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement