Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gotham font anyone?

• 04-09-2005 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Anyone got the Gotham font? I just need 4 quotes of a couple of lines each, done in the font. Should take no more than 2 or 3 minutes if someone were to type them up and email me a decent sized jpeg of the end result.

Let me know thanks,

Al.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I should have been more specific. It's the Hoefler and Frere Jones Gotham font. I really don't want to spend $199 for just for 4 quote lines. I've been intrigued since I read an article in CA Graphic Design mag and a quote from a design firm that 80% of their clients opt for the Gotham font. So I want to do a test on visual appeal of various fonts for another forum I'm a member of.

http://www.typography.com is their website btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

have this font ... not sure what your asking?

• Advertisement

As per the original post. I need someone to type up a number of quotes i have (I'm talking inspirational quotes of a couple of lines each) in whatever package, and email me the resulting jpeg or pdf or whatever. I then want to do a blind test on a web page, where I list 10 or 20 other quotes along in different fonts and see if people pick the quotes done in the Gotham font. It's just an experiment I want to do and need someone with the Gotham font to do up 4 or 5 quotes for me. I'll send you the quotes via PM or email...

Thanks.

Al

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Secret quotes... I'm intrigued...

Well I think you should send the makers of the font an email

but for what you are discribing I would be breaking the licence agreemet for the font...

Sorry for being a square :(

FYI: Its worth every penny - a great font!

Velcrow wrote:
    Well I think you should send the makers of the font an email

but for what you are discribing I would be breaking the licence agreemet for the font...

Sorry for being a square :(

FYI: Its worth every penny - a great font!

ho hum then,I guess I will forget about my little test then.

Just read the EULA, pretty restrictive. Looks to me that a design house couldn't even send a proof using this font via email.. would I be correct in that?

PS - you don't have to apologise for sticking rigidly to the EULA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

You could try get in contact with the compay who made the font, maybe they would be interested in letting you do it for free, seeing as It'd be a plug for their font. Worth a shot

• Advertisement

Shrimp wrote:
    You could try get in contact with the compay who made the font, maybe they would be interested in letting you do it for free, seeing as It'd be a plug for their font. Worth a shot

I might do alright but these guys don't need plugs for their font with their impressive client list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

i know im not helping alleepally, but for what its worth i think that is a distinctly ordinary looking font and can't see any reason to use it over a bog standard helvetica, arial, tahoma, verdana etc.

dangerman wrote:
    i know im not helping alleepally, but for what its worth i think that is a distinctly ordinary looking font and can't see any reason to use it over a bog standard helvetica, arial, tahoma, verdana etc.

I wonder what the fuss is too, but this quote from a designer in London that 80% of their clients choose it over any other font in a first round proposal with 20 to 30 ideas, sets my mind racing and wondering why.. hence my wanting to do a blind test. But I'll just put it on the backburner as it seems that even if I bought the font myself I couldn't even use it on a website anyway.

well yes, you can over hype ...
    but to be fair it is well designed.
    It is having its 15 mins of fame just like "the sans", "frutiger", "avenir"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i wouldn;t be surprise if you couldn't get some sort time/use sample of it enough for your purposes... google it

Advertisement