Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭WildIreland

whyulittle wrote: »
    Saw a Stoat this morning, bounding into the grassy central median of the M4!

Stoats are my favourite Irish mammal -- class animals!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Finished Angry Birds this evening - how did it take me so long to discover the joys of this game! :D

Downloading next one as I type.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Standing quietly out in the garden listening to hedgehogs snuffling around when I felt something on my foot. Switched the torch on to find the resident boar climbing aboard my boot. New boots with a strong leather smell must have got him excited, I've seen dogs try to mount peoples legs but this is a new one!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

You have a boar in your garden???? :D:D

Mothman wrote: »
    You have a boar in your garden???? :D:D

:D:D:D:D

I'm told it's the correct name for a male hedgehog, if it was a wild boar it would be in my freezer by now!!!!

• Advertisement

God I read that post so wrong. Had images of a pig climbing onto your boat......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Standing quietly out in the garden listening to hedgehogs snuffling around when I felt something on my foot. Switched the torch on to find the resident boar climbing aboard my boot. New boots with a strong leather smell must have got him excited, I've seen dogs try to mount peoples legs but this is a new one!:D

Down with that sort of thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

A first for my garden...going with Willow Warblers on these guys rather than Chiffchaff's because of the distinct eyestripe and other body colouring, legs are also lighter than that of the Chiffchaff... there were 4 of them bathing in my pond and mixing with Long-tailed & Blue Tits...

ChiffchaffG2.jpg

ChiffchaffG.jpg

ChiffchaffG4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

wish I'd had my camera with me this morning as I was standing outside. saw a small flock of birds approaching just off to my left and thought they looked like something unusual just with their size and flight.Turned out to be 6 snipes,unmistakeable with those bills, flew past me about 30 feet away ,saw them land on the hill too far away to even attempt a picture ,plus my previous experience with them ,proves them to be quite skittish.

I assume it was 6 juveniles, anyone seen that many before in one flock? I only ever saw singles before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

here's an interesting looking rock I came across. Holes made by :confused: mussels maybe ? or just water erosion? or erosion of parts made softer by mussels? All guesswork :o If anyone knows enlighten me!

07F59AAF9363446D96C45FACDD57410C-0000331913-0002971066-00500L-04D1F8B1DE4241D29016F1B766527D10.jpg

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    here's an interesting looking rock I came across. Holes made by :confused: mussels maybe ? or just water erosion? or erosion of parts made softer by mussels? All guesswork :o If anyone knows enlighten me!
    No idea, but did you do your bit by removing the plastic bottle? :)

Although if I went and did the same thing here at coast I'd need a number of bin bags :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Mothman wrote: »
    No idea, but did you do your bit by removing the plastic bottle? :)

Although if I went and did the same thing here at coast I'd need a number of bin bags :(

...should have removed it before taking the photo :pac: Shores are reasonably junk free there thankfully.. so I spend my time focusing on little bits of bones and creatures that have washed up, trying to figure out what they once were :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Bsal

I found alot of drowned Caterpillars this morning in my garden, poor things anyone know the type?

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

Bsal wrote: »
    I found alot of drowned Caterpillars this morning in my garden, poor things anyone know the type?
    A low confidence suggestion of Cabbage Moth, a dark form
    http://www.ukleps.org/Noctuids/2154s.jpg
    http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=4433

Could do with length and a close up of upper side and of head.

A low confidence suggestion of Cabbage Moth, a dark form
    http://www.ukleps.org/Noctuids/2154s.jpg
    http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=4433

Could do with length and a close up of upper side and of head.

Unfortunetly the Starlings in my garden had them for super so I cant get any more pictures. I bet your right though on Cabbage Moth.

Unfortunetly the Starlings in my garden had them for super so I cant get any more pictures. I bet your right though on Cabbage Moth.
    I knew they wouldn't go to waste :)

I spotted a Fox again today at Dublin airport, the second time in the last 2-3 weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Could be keeping the hare's in check.
    We nearly hit a hare on wednesday evening ran out in front of the car

Opened the front door to make sure my car windows were closed, and there was a large hedgehog sitting on the door step. The cat came when she heard the door open, leapt over it into the house and looked back out at it from inside.

Gave it a few extra cat biscuits and let it be.

No leather or boats involved here. :)

I was just checking out the sightings on irishbirding website and noticed alot of Brent Goose reports. They seem to be on there way here very early this year. The weather in there breeding grounds must be confusing them. Either its alot warmer or colder than normal up there.

• Advertisement

I went for a walk around Boora after sunset this evening, and nearly had my head taken off me! I think it was a Sparrowhawk, lined up my head and was coming straight towards it before bailing out about a foot away from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

whyulittle wrote: »
    I went for a walk around Boora after sunset this evening, and nearly had my head taken off me! I think it was a Sparrowhawk, lined up my head and was coming straight towards it before bailing out about a foot away from it!

do you coo and walk like a pigeon??:p:p

Don't know what was going on, but it was weird. Was walking along, looking around me and saw the bird on my left. It circled a small bit and then literally made a dash for my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I spotted a Fox again today at Dublin airport, the second time in the last 2-3 weeks :D

Twice in the last two weeks, I have seen a fox down near the O2 at the docks.

3 Hedgehogs in my garden last night, 2 juveniles and a big adult acting like one happy family. They must be getting close to hibernating. The juveniles seemed healthy and well fed.

Yesterday evening I discovered the 2 juvenile hedgehogs fast asleep in a hedgehog house I built a few years ago and had given up on. They have dragged an enormous amount of bedding into it so possibly will hibernate there.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Yesterday evening I discovered the 2 juvenile hedgehogs fast asleep in a hedgehog house I built a few years ago and had given up on. They have dragged an enormous amount of bedding into it so possibly will hibernate there.

Any photos of the house?!

tororosso wrote: »
    Any photos of the house?!

I used to have a little IR camera set up inside but it packed in a while back. I'll take a shot of the exterior when I get a chance.

Here's a pic of the box, I have a small IR camera set up covering the entrance, so hopefully I can get some video of the hogs coming and going.

picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=14165

• Advertisement

Caught the hedgehogs emerging this evening. The first one bolted straight out before I could start recording, the 2nd one stayed for a while. Terrible quality video stills, but thats what you get with a €20 IR camera!

picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=14169

picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=14166

picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=14168

Advertisement