Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

F3 wrote: »
    Guys, I understand your points of view, but I do not wish to put myself out there in a public contest. Please believe me when I tell you that I make all my points directly. I've no political aspirations nor do I look for recognition in what I do. This thread has been viewed 127,000 times and often upto 400 views per day. Alot of people keep themselves informed of this matter via boards. GUBOH has 800 members on its FB group, but it also has 3,000+ signatures from town people supporting our cause. not everyone has a face book page, boards is more accessible and far less complicated than Facebook.

Do not underestimate the value of this thread in reaching out to a wider audience.

Since this post on the 26th April ( 7 days ago ) this thread has been
    viewed 3,000 times

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I feel that time is getting closer to call a public meeting, but if we can wait a little longer to allow the TD's to do their job. Steven Donnelly, Simon Harris and Anne Ferris are all demanding answers from Eddie Seedy ( County Manager ) and Sean Quirks ( director of services in charge of the harbour) as we speak. If they fail to right this issue in early course, Then i feel no more GUBOH blue banners, it's GUBOH Red banners and public protest, and national media cover to save our town! Believe me there will be public meetings and plenty of them.

Freudian slip but it is Eddie Sheehy. :P

Freudian slip but it is Eddie Sheehy. :P

Oh, I thought he was Seedy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi folks

The mods have had some feedback about this thread going completely off topic.This thread is about the harbour in Greystones - Not coastal erosion in Greystones or Bray - Obviously some people feel that they are connected however discussion of the harbour is now getting completely lost. I would suggest that if you want to discuss coastal erosion starting a new thread

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Hi folks

The mods have had some feedback about this thread going completely off topic.This thread is about the harbour in Greystones - Not coastal erosion in Greystones or Bray - Obviously some people feel that they are connected however discussion of the harbour is now getting completely lost. I would suggest that if you want to discuss coastal erosion starting a new thread

Erosion Thread :)

Posts have been moved from this thread to the new thread.

If there are any issues please PM mango salsa or myself and we will be glad to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Just where we used to paddle and swim. It was full of families having fun. Now there is a fella cleaning a concrete jungle with no one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

Hi folks

Hello,

Given this thread is so large, would it help to have a sub discussion under Greystones & Charlesland, i.e. Harbour & Coast?

Going forward there is a great deal of interest in the harbour, cliff erosion, clubs, beach, cliff walks.

What needs to happen for this to take place?

• Advertisement

micandre wrote: »
    Hello,

Given this thread is so large, would it help to have a sub discussion under Greystones & Charlesland, i.e. Harbour & Coast?
    No need. It is a separate thread within Greystones & Charlesland anyway.

By moving the erosion to the north cliffs topic out of this thread is an attempt to disconnect it somewhat from its link to the new Harbour. Erosion of the north beach is news, there are views in respect to same, and it is connected to the completion of the new Harbour. I think the thread should remain here.

Where do you stop? Can we talk about the erosion to the green fencing already on the pier in this thread or will have to start another?

By moving the erosion to the north cliffs topic out of this thread is an attempt to disconnect it somewhat from its link to the new Harbour. Erosion of the north beach is news, there are views in respect to same, and it is connected to the completion of the new Harbour. I think the thread should remain here.

As it is just speculation that the Greystones harbour development is the reason for the erosion, it is a separate topic.
    The new thread has been started on the speculation that includes the Bray erosion.

Where do you stop? Can we talk about the erosion to the green fencing already on the pier in this thread or will have to start another?

That can be discussed in the new erosion thread that i linked to a few posts up.

Off topic posts are being removed.

Please use the PM function for moderation comments.

This thread is by far the most viewed in the region. This is because of the contributors, nothing else.

This thread is by far the most viewed in the region. This is because of the contributors, nothing else.

That's not an issue and long may it last. :)

Looks harsh due to the PPE that is being used.

Is that the harmful to the environment chemical symbol on the blue container?

Well I got a warning and then infraction for posting so my voice is not going to be loud. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

It's the corrosive hazchem label.

The workman doesn't appear to be wearing any goggles or breathing apparatus though. Possibly already diluted. It may be to stop the slipway becoming slippy, but without sight of the label any guess at the contents is just that.

My 2c on the split of the threads (mods may delete if they so wish): separating out the threads affords two focussed discussions on separate but related matters. Those who feel strongly on the amenity of.the harbour and its development have this thread. Those who want to discuss the erosion, likely causes and how it is addressed have a separate thread. No doubt there will be cross posting and.overlap, but those who care about both issues will read and post in both.

The workman doesn't appear to be wearing any goggles or breathing apparatus though. Possibly already diluted. It may be to stop the slipway becoming slippy, but without sight of the label any guess at the contents is just that.

My 2c on the split of the threads (mods may delete if they so wish): separating out the threads affords two focussed discussions on separate but related matters. Those who feel strongly on the amenity of.the harbour and its development have this thread. Those who want to discuss the erosion, likely causes and how it is addressed have a separate thread. No doubt there will be cross posting and.overlap, but those who care about both issues will read and post in both.

Regardless of the validity of your post Mike, I bet you do not receive a warning on pm. If I posted it I would have. Some of us seem to be singled out. Yes next warning accepted mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Well it doesnt work! That surface is extremely slippery!

Hi folks

Thr erosion is not "completely off thread" it is very much at the epicentre of this entire thread, and I request that you allow it back. If the harbour works were completed and the community were having no problems, then this thread would not have the traffic it does. This thread is thriving because unfortunately the project is in trouble. Very serious trouble. The erosion on the north beach was expected by the experts and it was a term of the planning permission granted for the project to go ahead that 30,000 m3 of stone shingle must be placed to combat the initial effects of erosion after the new breakwaters were built. This was to protect the environment. After that upto 6000m3 of single is to be placed annually there after. I calculate that 42,000 M3 of single ought to have been placed by Sispar. They only placed 10,000M3 in 2008. (I estimate the cost to Sispar in complying with this condition at €500,000+) These are facts. This single thread allows all problems associated with the cessation of works at the harbour due to economic difficulties to be reported. The reluctance by Sispar to continue funding the project is causing amoungst other problems fir the community, a significant environmental disaster. This was warned by the experts before works commenced, and it eas mandatory for them to do it. They have decided not to and the public need to know this. We need a central thread to quote from historical posts on such very important issues. By you splitting the thread, this cannot be done. The "some feedback" you received, please get them to PM me. If they would like I will meet them personally to discuss the scale of the problems with the harbour and the importance of having such matters teased out on this thread. This is not about moderating, this is about really understanding the value of having all such topics discussed in the one place. I appeal to you return the posts you have removed and allow this very very relevant matter, be discussed on this thread. I urge you to meet internally on this issue. I will agreed meet all moderators to discuss this issue. Please return the status quo. Regards F3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

DD9090 wrote: »
    As it is just speculation that the Greystones harbour development is the reason for the erosion, it is a separate topic.
    The new thread has been started on the speculation that includes the Bray erosion.

That can be discussed in the new erosion thread that i linked to a few posts up.

It is not speculation. It is a fact, and was thoroughly explored at the ABP oral hearings. Experts both for and against stated categorically that construction of the breakwaters would dramatically increase erosion at the North Beach and cliffs.

The breakwaters alter the marine topography so significantly that WCC and Sispar's experts proposed the 30,000 m3 initial beach nourishment to be followed by 6,000 m3 per year merely to contain cliff erosion to below the historic datum of 600mm per year.

That is on the record. If I am able to find it, read it, and quote it, then so should the mods rather than making such an ill-informed comment and basing the split threads decision on it. The evidence is there, and you guys are going against it.

In due course I will submit my arguments, with supporting evidence, to the appeals procedure.

There is a motion being put to the meeting of wicklow county council next Monday (14th May) calling on the County Manager to ask Sispar to landscape the building site. This meeting is in Wicklow and is open to the public.

Who is putting this motion forward Fiachra ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

I hear it is Grainne McLoughlin. The meeting starts at 2.00pm at the county buildings opposite the Coral Leisure Centre on the northern outhskirts of Wicklow town.

It would be good for some of those who want to see such measures implemented to be present to support her and whoever is seconding.

I hear it is Grainne McLoughlin. The meeting starts at 2.00pm at the county buildings opposite the Coral Leisure Centre on the northern outhskirts of Wicklow town.

It would be good for some of those who want to see such measure to be present to support her and whoever is seconding.

Well done Grainne. I would love to attend but the timing is impossible.

Everything I have posted recently has been deleted so I am hesitant to post anymore. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Well done Grainne. I would love to attend but the timing is impossible.

Everything I have posted recently has been deleted so I am hesitant to post anymore. :(

Agreed on both counts....

I don't understand why there is so much surprise and shock about deleted posts!?
    Off topic posting is against the forum charter and repeated offenders will receive infractions.

• Advertisement

The motion is in the names of Grainne McLoughlin and George Jones. It will have the full support of Tom Fortune. So three of four local councillors will support the motion and it is to be hoped that the fouth (Derek Mitchell) will not oppose it.

With that level of support it has a very realistic chance of being passed. The only opposition will probably be from the county manager who wont want to comply.

Advertisement