Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 adlima

Hey guys. I'm currently out in the gulf working for the company. Some people don't find out where they will be going until a month or two before they leave, others find out straight away. Its depends on the position. There are a lot of schools out here and they are big. It's difficult to get a place in Dubai or Abu dhabi, even if you put them as your choice. Everyone wants to go there. Best of luck to everyone who's heading over for September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 458

Hi

Did anyone have an interview and take 24 hours to think about the job? When you replied to them, did they acknowledge your e-mail? I took the 24 hours thinking time. I sent them a mail saying I'd take the job, but there wasn't any acknowledgement from them that they received it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kitty111

adlima wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm currently out in the gulf working for the company. Some people don't find out where they will be going until a month or two before they leave, others find out straight away. Its depends on the position. There are a lot of schools out here and they are big. It's difficult to get a place in Dubai or Abu dhabi, even if you put them as your choice. Everyone wants to go there. Best of luck to everyone who's heading over for September.

Hi Adlima, what school are you working in? and how long are you working there? are you enjoying the work and life over there in the gulf? I ended up declining because I didn't realise that they can't guarantee a school so I was a little apprehensive about that. Also, a couple of my friends applied too and they said at the start they'd keep us together but then later on said they couldn't guarantee that. Anyways, I think it's probably not for me yet as I am just finishing college but I would defo keep it in mind sometime down the line. I'd love to hear about your experience with the company SABIS!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Redstrips

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm delighted for all of you that had your interviews and got offered places!

I myself am left very confused.......I got an email at the start of March saying they would be in contact over next few weeks about interview in Ireland. (I had passed telephone interview just before Xmas) But never heard anything for an interview, am quite disappointed! I sent away the garda data protection thing and reference checks were all done ect. Hmmmmmmm! Only thing, I didn't do the you tube video, perhaps this was my downfall! Has the above happened to anybody else? Or anybody else know any public schools in Dubai I could apply to? Apparently, you get paid better in them and better conditions???? :0

Redstrips wrote: »
    Hi all,

Firstly, I'm delighted for all of you that had your interviews and got offered places!

I myself am left very confused.......I got an email at the start of March saying they would be in contact over next few weeks about interview in Ireland. (I had passed telephone interview just before Xmas) But never heard anything for an interview, am quite disappointed! I sent away the garda data protection thing and reference checks were all done ect. Hmmmmmmm! Only thing, I didn't do the you tube video, perhaps this was my downfall! Has the above happened to anybody else? Or anybody else know any public schools in Dubai I could apply to? Apparently, you get paid better in them and better conditions???? :0

There's a thread in this forum about the Al-Najah private school in Abu Dhabi. Perhaps you could ring them and see if they're doing interviews. I'm not sure about Dubai. They said the competition for positions in the Choueifat schools in Dubai was strong and that there were a lot of applicants this year.

I didn't do the video CV myself I have to say. They never asked me to do it. I was in the same position as yourself a few weeks ago, I had heard the interviews had started, so I contacted them to see what the status of my application was. It would be no harm to follow it up. At least they can give you a clear answer as to where you stand. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mishmish1

Hi all,

I'm in the same boat. Completed application, phone interview, police check, references etc. Was told should expect face to face interview in March so was panicked to see they'd gone ahead without me. Anyway contacted SABIs offices to see what the story was. Was assured that if I was told I'd get interview, it would happen. Something about conducting the interviews in phases. I don't know, tbh have my doubts but there's hope in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Siobh78

Anyone Have any idea what the next stage in the process is after u get offered a job? Anything u can do on ur side to make the visa operation go quicker? Going away for a month during the summer so would love to get organised now!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Alia89

Hey everyone,

Any London applicants heard anything about interviews in London? Still anxiously waiting to hear back from them..

Siobh78 wrote: »
    Anyone Have any idea what the next stage in the process is after u get offered a job? Anything u can do on ur side to make the visa operation go quicker? Going away for a month during the summer so would love to get organised now!

I think, for the next stage, we get contacted directly by the school that we will be going to. At least that's what they said to me. I counted six weeks from the end of March so it's in late April. If you're going away before that, maybe you should contact them.

Mishmish1 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Completed application, phone interview, police check, references etc. Was told should expect face to face interview in March so was panicked to see they'd gone ahead without me. Anyway contacted SABIs offices to see what the story was. Was assured that if I was told I'd get interview, it would happen. Something about conducting the interviews in phases. I don't know, tbh have my doubts but there's hope in that.

Thanks Mishmish for your reply....Just wondering did you email or call them? I've emailed them twice and no reply, was thinking of calling them tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mishmish1

Thanks Mishmish for your reply....Just wondering did you email or call them? I've emailed them twice and no reply, was thinking of calling them tomorrow.

Emailed them to no reply and then called office. Not fair to be strung along! Keep in mind when calling that weekends are different over there, think it's either thurs/fri or fri/sat. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cj2007

Hello!

Sorry if this has already been answered but I have just found out about Sabris and went to their website but cant really find many answers!! I am studying a degree in business..What kind of position could I apply for with them?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JezZCaa...X

RWNS wrote: »
    Mines not till Thursday.. What are hoping to teach over there?

Well, I got the job anyway & I presume I'll be teaching English because my degree is in English & Media!

They said in the interview I'd be told of what school I got in the last week of April. I said Dubai or Abu Dhabi but I kinda wish I stressed Dubai more; heard better things about it! I'll just wait & see!

Woo! Roll on August! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

hey all. I'm currently teaching here in the emirates, in Abu Dhabi.. yes its very up in the air about which grade you will get really until you get here.. for example I was told I would get grade 6 upwards... but when i got here I was given grade 1... on my second year now and its great.. people who are going for kindergarden I would say its hard going.. they are realy just babies here when they are sent to school at 3 yrs old.. plus side to kindergarden though is that you have a helper.. not all grades have this.. but in Kindergarden you really need them- for toilet accidents and the likes !!!!!

Mishmish1 wrote: »
    Emailed them to no reply and then called office. Not fair to be strung along! Keep in mind when calling that weekends are different over there, think it's either thurs/fri or fri/sat. Good luck.

So I finally received an email today from SABIS saying my application was unsuccessful, left very confused! Has this happened to anyone else? :mad:

P.s. Anybody else know of any other companies hiring in Dubai where you dont need a teaching qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Alia89

Hi, I havnt heard anything back from them, I'm getting really nervous now. I really want this, the last email I got was how they're still interested in my application, I've heard some UK applicants have already started hearing back from them.shall I email them again? Don't want to seem too persistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bluebee

Redstrips - I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't get a position with sabis, maybe something better is going to come up for you. I don't know of any other UAE companies but have you looked into China and other Asian countries? In some countries you would have to pay for flights, I think sometimes Korea will pay upfront for them though. Good luck anyway!

Alia89 if I were you I would definately email them as soon as possible, and reiterate how keen you are to work for them. I actually did this a few times until I received a face to face interview date. Persistence can never really be seen as a bad thing, I hope! Email anyone who initially emailed you back. One thing I'm just thinking now, if you had previously stressed that you only wanted to work in Dubai etc, stress that you are flexible in terms of location. This might be very important at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bluebee

hey all. I'm currently teaching here in the emirates, in Abu Dhabi.. yes its very up in the air about which grade you will get really until you get here.. for example I was told I would get grade 6 upwards... but when i got here I was given grade 1... on my second year now and its great.. people who are going for kindergarden I would say its hard going.. they are realy just babies here when they are sent to school at 3 yrs old.. plus side to kindergarden though is that you have a helper.. not all grades have this.. but in Kindergarden you really need them- for toilet accidents and the likes !!!!!

Hi Maggie, I found this post really helpful, thanks:) I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions! Did you find it easy to settle into work and the lifestyle? Do you have a good social life with your colleagues? I'm not too worried about that side of things but it would be nice to get a general idea....

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sinead2312

seanfada wrote: »
    Yeah they started doing it this year. They can sends you all the instructions or you can follow them on twitter @teachingindubai or search for them on twitter with the email address careersgulf@sabis.net

Hi Sean,
    First time using these boards but have heard alot of people are working with Sabais. I was just wondering how you went about getting in contact with them to begin with? Did you just email them with your details??
    Thank you for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sinead2312

Hey, new to this so just wondering if anyone could help me. I am really keen to work in the UAE starting in Sept this year. Hopefully I havent left it too late. Just wondering how you went about getting in contact with Sabis. Ive went onto the website and registered and then it allows me to summit an application to different jobs but this doesnt sound right?? How do I go about giving them my CV and so on..
    Would greatly appreciate any help.
    Thank you :)

• Advertisement

Sinead2312 wrote: »
    Hey, new to this so just wondering if anyone could help me. I am really keen to work in the UAE starting in Sept this year. Hopefully I havent left it too late. Just wondering how you went about getting in contact with Sabis. Ive went onto the website and registered and then it allows me to summit an application to different jobs but this doesnt sound right?? How do I go about giving them my CV and so on..
    Would greatly appreciate any help.
    Thank you :)

I did the same thing way way way back in December of last year. You want to be making a general application and not applying for different jobs. You should contact the e-mail address in your post. Ask them if they're still taking applications, but the Ireland interviews were a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 adlima

kitty111 wrote: »
    Hi Adlima, what school are you working in? and how long are you working there? are you enjoying the work and life over there in the gulf? I ended up declining because I didn't realise that they can't guarantee a school so I was a little apprehensive about that. Also, a couple of my friends applied too and they said at the start they'd keep us together but then later on said they couldn't guarantee that. Anyways, I think it's probably not for me yet as I am just finishing college but I would defo keep it in mind sometime down the line. I'd love to hear about your experience with the company SABIS!

Hi kitty 111. Ya its difficult for them to tell everyone where they will be based immediately. They'd have a fair idea of how many new teachers they need for each school, but some current teachers don't decide on leaving until closer to the summer, so there is always positions popping up. Everybody applies for Dubai or Abu dhabi, but sabis have so many schools around the gulf it's very hard to get a position in these cities. Also, when you sign a contract, you sign to the company. You can be based anywhere after that.
    Life is good out here, but you work very hard. I'm here 3 years and i'll be out here again next year. I won't say what school or country i'm in, as i'd be easily identifiable. My experiences of the school are not too bad. It's extremely challenging at times but it's a job at the end of the day. Anybody willing to work hard and has a lot of patience, will get on fine over here. It's a great experience to have when you leave here. Well it will be for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

adlima wrote: »
    Hi kitty 111. Ya its difficult for them to tell everyone where they will be based immediately. They'd have a fair idea of how many new teachers they need for each school, but some current teachers don't decide on leaving until closer to the summer, so there is always positions popping up. Everybody applies for Dubai or Abu dhabi, but sabis have so many schools around the gulf it's very hard to get a position in these cities. Also, when you sign a contract, you sign to the company. You can be based anywhere after that.
    Life is good out here, but you work very hard. I'm here 3 years and i'll be out here again next year. I won't say what school or country i'm in, as i'd be easily identifiable. My experiences of the school are not too bad. It's extremely challenging at times but it's a job at the end of the day. Anybody willing to work hard and has a lot of patience, will get on fine over here. It's a great experience to have when you leave here. Well it will be for me anyway.

This sounds good to me and I'm really looking forward to it now :D. I'm just wondering if anyone that was offered a position has done anything with their degrees yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

Hey all, anyone heading Dubai this august? I'm a qualified primary teacher, got a job in Dubai - I applied months ago though to be safe through teachanywhere, I think thats why lots of people find it takes so long to get a job, took me 3 months of just waiting. Any tips or anything for me for anyone around there? Are the schools tough going? My friends say it's ok and have a great life there , but I've heard stories from the higher up richer schools about very unruly students and even a student getting their own way because of who his parents were. . .

, but I've heard stories from the higher up richer schools about very unruly students and even a student getting their own way because of who his parents were. . .

I've been wondering about this myself. What to do if a student offers me a "gift" to pass their exams. Thought about it long and hard. In the end, just don't accept it. Get them to work like everybody else and pass on merit.

If I get fired because I didn't take a bribe......well.....then that's the schools problem. Who's going to teach their class for the rest of the term. I don't care who the kid's parents are. You have to stand up to a bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

458 wrote: »
    I've been wondering about this myself. What to do if a student offers me a "gift" to pass their exams. Thought about it long and hard. In the end, just don't accept it. Get them to work like everybody else and pass on merit.

If I get fired because I didn't take a bribe......well.....then that's the schools problem. Who's going to teach their class for the rest of the term. I don't care who the kid's parents are. You have to stand up to a bully.
    If you're going working for Sabis we were warned never to take gifts from the students or parents or accept dinner invitations so I don't think you will face a problem from the school anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyLorr20

Hey guys,

did anyone get offers today from schools? I was emailed today from the school in Khalifa, but still unsure of what students I'll be teaching, just wondering if anyone heard the same or similar? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 afordy

Hey LadyLorr20, I got the same school, Khalifa city A. I dont think we're going to find out what students we will be teaching until we get over there, I could be wrong though. :)

LadyLorr20 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

did anyone get offers today from schools? I was emailed today from the school in Khalifa, but still unsure of what students I'll be teaching, just wondering if anyone heard the same or similar? :)

When did you do your interview. Did you ask for Khalifa? I haven't heard anything yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyLorr20

Thanks Afordy, at least I know others in similar situation. :)

Hi 458,

I did my interview in March and I had asked for abu dhabi or dubai (I heard they were most popular) and they said they would try their best. Have you had your interview yet?

Advertisement