Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

embarrassed by your car??

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Well 6yrs ago hubby went into a garage and signed all the paperwork for a brand new Cordoba, i walked out and said i didn't really want it as if i scratched it he'd kill me so he furiously went back and cancelled it. Went to the shop to get Sunday dinner that weekend and bought a 92 auto Micra paid €600 and i loved it, used to move the s60 to drive the micra instead even though everybody thought i was mad.

A month after i had it a tractor reversed into it causing €700 worth of damage to the front end which the guy insisted on paying. 6 yrs later we have a new car so i've just given the Micra to family and in 6 yrs its had 3 ncts and cost a total of €360 to get through all of them and i've spent another €70 in the garage. It passed its 3rd nct since i bought it last mnth so its a real bargain and i want it back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well I think I will be on the other side of the fence here. :(

I got last year a 98" mondeo for 500eu. Spent 200eu to get ncted and full service with few bushings done. I jumped in to it after skyline which went offroad. It's a grand car even now. We haven't spend a penny on it so far all year. It is driven everyday and it eats up miles like a tank! Great car, but when I was driving it ( after Nissan ) the only thing I wanted to do: put a gun in to my mouth... It's bland, boring and feels like a brick, I am not evan talking about 20 horses, which left in the stables since 98... I don't like to take it if I meet new people as it looks like a scrapyard on wheels. :(

I was going to Carlow 2 weeks ago to pick up a puppy dachshund. I really did not wanted to take ford, as the seller would have second thoughs about us and to what sort of home will puppy go if people drive such a crap on wheels. ( i know i would second thoughts )No matter what anyone will say, but car can make opinion about you. I am not saying car has to be a top of the range merc. I am just saying that car should be nice, clean looking and tidy.

For now I still love my bargonics ford. It saved us a ton of money last year. If it will pass nct this year with no big investments, then we might squizze one more year out of it. Though I will try to talk in misses to buy something nicer this year. She was kind enough to give me back my mx5, as ford was just making me depressed as hell, but I really want her to drive something nicer.

I guess most of you will call me stupid, but hey... I am petrol head, and I do love nice cars. For me A to B cars are the biggest tourcher you can ever do to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Meh, I take a perverse pride in the Corolla. It's like a badge of honour in recession time Ireland. I'll buy something nice when I can afford something nice but having a family it's a fairly low priority. Would rather be able to bring the missus and kids on a family holiday than upgrade the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sleepy wrote: »
    Meh, I take a perverse pride in the Corolla. It's like a badge of honour in recession time Ireland. I'll buy something nice when I can afford something nice but having a family it's a fairly low priority. Would rather be able to bring the missus and kids on a family holiday than upgrade the car...
    Well I would buy a better car for misses instead of holiday. Holiday is only for 1-2 weeks max, where's you will be sitting in car everyday for years. She would be safer in better car, have better quality of drive, better mood.

In fact misses was in car accsident. She crashed head on with another car after sharp ****y corner. Medics, Garda were saying in one voice: the only reason she walked out of this crash with just few bruises was that Mercedes clk. it had more airbags then then screws in it. If she would be in one of those tiny little old bangornics yoke I might have no misses shadowhearth.

Everyone has their own way of spending money. And fair play to anyone who can drive bangornics. Fair play to them, for me it's just torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fiona

RoverJames wrote: »
    ......... Hydragas_pump.jpg

Spot on :D

Bringing me back Rover bringing me back! have not seen one of them since i was about 13!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Found out today that the hinge on my passenger door is broken. My sister opened the door too quickly a while back that must have done the trick.

Only a week after the window got stuck as well. Awfully embarrassing pulling up to a car park and having to get out of the car to get the ticket because you can't roll down the window at all.

I think this song will sum up most cars in this thread, including mine.

Sample lyrics:
    I've paid for it about 9 times, different mechanics
    Too much of a job, some say they just couldn't handle it
    I need some shocks on the back, I need some works on the brakes
    My passenger side window sometimes it just don't wanna raise
    I hear bumps and crunks, pings and ticks and things
    I got a hole in my muffler and other minor things
    Like my electrical rear view mirror don't move like it 'posed ta
    Even the objects in that motha****a need to be closer
    I'm satisfied with my ride I don't ask much
    But people talk and they diss, they heckle it loud
    But

[Chorus]
    I'm rollin
    Car not stolen
    Probably never will be it's much to old and
    Smokin weed and feelin fine
    In my Lacville 79
    I'm rollin
    Gas runnin low
    But I try to keep it white and Vogue's like foldin
    Hopin freaks will get inside of my Lacville 79
    I went looking for a trade-in but they called my shít a bucket
    Got back in that hoe, and cranked it up and said fúck it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I sold it to a buck from Wexford who was planning on driving it around while he restored another e34 touring he had. AFAIK, he bought a few other touring bits off a bmw-driver.net member not far from me for his project car at the same time so I say he had the boot of it filled with parts!

After that, I swore I'd never buy another car with a blue interior until I saw this one - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2799326

This was her in the snow last year, the e46 was parked up and this was the daily hack - it's great having a car that you're not afraid of getting a few prangs (not that it suffered any :cool:)
    DSCN1735.jpg

Mate there is nothing remotely embarrasing about that car. Its a BMW Touring with cool wheels:cool:

My Astra is scratched to ****, the paint's peeling, its constantly covered in muck (I live up a country lane) the inside is perpetually filled with discarded red bull bottles, old newspapers and half eaten sandwich wrappers,one of the wing mirrors is held on with duct tape, My granda superglued a Padre Pio thing to the dash 'for safety' but he put it over the check enging and oil lights so im constantly having to lean over whilst driving to see the ****in things, i have to start it in the mornings by rolling it down the lane and a while ago a friend wrote "Matt cardle on tour" in the dirt on the side of it and no matter how much it's washed that is still visible...but i love my ****in car. I'd proudly roll up anywhere in it.

Why are you eating the wrappers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

veetwin wrote: »
    Mate there is nothing remotely embarrasing about that car. Its a BMW Touring with cool wheels:cool:

It's the whiteness of the car, if it was any other colour I wouldn't have gotten any sh*t over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's the whiteness of the car, if it was any other colour I wouldn't have gotten any sh*t over it!
    White tends to work with '80s German metal, IMO at least.

• Advertisement

I used to like it, it's relative uniqueness appealed to me, I only went out to get some breakfast the Saturday I bought it :pac:
    (I actually bought it without test driving it such was the appeal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

RoverJames wrote: »
    I used to like it, it's relative uniqueness appealed to me, I only went out to get some breakfast the Saturday I bought it :pac:
    (I actually bought it without test driving it such was the appeal)

I spend an awful long time mulling over the purchase of a car!!

yourpics wrote: »
    I spend an awful long time mulling over the purchase of a car!!

... as we all should, quite a few times I've seen a yoke advertised and just bought it after a quick look over. All relatively cheap (very most of them) ones though.

Advertisement