Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

embarrassed by your car??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I pretended to be embarrassed about owning a Corsa but in reality it's a good car, I drove it the other day and it was actually more firmly planted on the road then the Alfa, mainly because it has much better tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

How is the alfa doing now that you've mentioned it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

barura wrote: »
    How is the alfa doing now that you've mentioned it?

Still going well, no problems at all. Selling it for something a bit more fun fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fiona

Now this is one car from the olden days which I would be quite happy to be seen in, I used to think it was so cool when I was a young wan!

My Dad said it was a Datsun 160 J sss coupe but I am not so sure the ones on google look a little bit different, it's a Datsun of some description anyway!

datsun 1.jpg

datsun .jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I decided to take my car off the road and use the other halfs wee car every now and then. It's an 07 Opel Tigra...i get some looks and a fair amount of banter when i arrive into the work car park anytime i ever drive it. Slightly embarassing ! Extremely girly car + big lad driving = very out of place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

This is the funniest thread I have read in a long time, thanks to whoever started it, maybe because im 4 months pregnant i spend most of my time being emotional but this has made me laugh so much.
    Some priceless stories on it!!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Now this is one car from the olden days which I would be quite happy to be seen in, I used to think it was so cool when I was a young wan!

My Dad said it was a Datsun 160 J sss coupe but I am not so sure the ones on google look a little bit different, it's a Datsun of some description anyway!

datsun 1.jpg

datsun .jpg
    Ah the Datsun Cherry - our car of the 80s. You could see the road through the holes on the floor and it was class when you were a kid! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

RoverJames wrote: »
    I used to like that :o (except for the blue interior)
    Two or three people approached me when I had it saying it was great to see one of them about :cool:
    ........... is she still alive do you know?

I sold it to a buck from Wexford who was planning on driving it around while he restored another e34 touring he had. AFAIK, he bought a few other touring bits off a bmw-driver.net member not far from me for his project car at the same time so I say he had the boot of it filled with parts!

After that, I swore I'd never buy another car with a blue interior until I saw this one - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2799326

This was her in the snow last year, the e46 was parked up and this was the daily hack - it's great having a car that you're not afraid of getting a few prangs (not that it suffered any :cool:)
    DSCN1735.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Jaysus I would've been happy to be embarassed by my parents cars in the 80's but we didn't have one:D
    My first car was a banger of a Suzuki Swift but it was bloody brilliant having my own car. The one car I still miss is my old 1998 Fiat Punto Elx, yes I know it was a punto but I loved that car, first car I had that had electrics and power steering :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

I have a 13 year old lekkie gs300, and I am not embarassed.In fact I goddam love that car, and it's killing me having to part company with it now due to the lovely motor tax rates in this country.
    I feel like I'm letting her down- something she NEVER did to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My car is now nine and just keeps on giving - mint green Punto. So pretty and minty-fresh and drives a dream. Won't give it up til it's a rust-bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

This thread taps into how I feel about my car right now.

Its a '98 Nissan 200sx, in pink (aka red) with the laquer peeling off. It has a hole in the exhaust, its been slightly rear ended the paint has been taken off the offside front corner by my elderly neighbour. It also uses more fuel than an apollo mission.

In truth I am a bit embarrassed by it and I take a good bit of flak in work etc. but the problem is that there is nothing out there that is nearly as much fun to drive at that tax level, other than the same car in better condition.

Looks like it going to have to do until the GT 86 is launched here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I bought an ugly green 99 Mazda 323 saloon three years ago when some goon wrote off my car and I'm still driving it. It's passed two NCTs without any major hassle, starts every time and until it stops going (i.e. never) I have no intention of getting anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

This guy was embarrassed by his car! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

I've mentioned it here before but i'm driving a 660cc subaru vivio that looks like a shrunk micra and it's so cheap and very 90's japanesse, I know the friends laugh at me and I look a bit silly driving it (15 stone in a 15 stone car :D )
    But I can go buy something interesting on an other poilcy and i is only fifty to tax it for the few months,
    If it ever let's go a mid 90's toyota is where i'll be hoping to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

*** what people think. Many of them are happy with being enslaved by debt to keep up with the Jones'. Dont get me wrong, I like "nice" cars, but I'm not willing to get into debt for them and I'm lucky enough to have the skills to repair my own stuff. Of course the cost\benefit of this changes as my career progresses but I still don't see myself at a point where I will take out a loan to buy a car. Or anything for that matter, other than a house and even that can be precarious.

Each to their own as they say. If you are happy to stay in debt for a car or feel you have no choice, fair enough. But to me pi$$ing your heard earned money away to a bank for your life on a depreciating asset, to impress people that you don't know or like represents the ultimate in embarrassment.

Checkout the vid on this page. http://www.daveramsey.com/media/flash/elearning/drive-free/player.html
    Its very US-centric of course and exaggerated to some degree but it gives food for thought when you are considering taking a loan against a car.

/edit. Actually another consideration of course, especially if you have a family is crash rating. One could argue that the price of debt is worth it. I guess that's a judgement call that you can only make for yourself and family. From the research I've done, out '99 S80 fairs pretty decent against most new and nearly new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Maybe the thread should read:

Are people embarrassed for you by your car??

I'm known to give out about various modified cars, or german number plates etc. but in reality the people who have such items on their own car couldn't five a feck what I think! And more power to them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

At the moment I drive a 1995 Polo. I love it. I remember the day my dad bought it. He drove a really, really old Fiat Ritmo up to that point. Almost the whole bonnet was gone because of rust. Anyway I cried the day he bought the new Polo. I hated it. I was only 5 to be fair.

Ever since that day I've spent almost my whole time in that car. From getting lifts to and from school, lifts to soccer matches/training and so on. Then a few years ago I progressed on to driving it. It's only then that I realised how much I love it.

I don't bother with drives that are too far so it's a beauty for nipping around town. It fits through gaps that a lot of other cars won't be able to. It's easy-ish on the petrol. What it lacks in overall speed it more than makes up for in taking off. When you drive on your own it's a beast. Even when you have 5 lads going to a soccer match in it it still handles well.

Back 2 years ago my brother and I were given it pretty much. My parents reckoned they'd get nothing trying to sell it so it was easier just to give it to us. My dad moved up to a far nicer '10 Golf while we were stuck with the blue beast.

He has a lot problems with the Golf. He can't get used to the diesel and it cuts out a lot on him. Not as much as before but more than usual. I've never once had a problem with the Polo. It's almost impossible to stall it. I even started it one day in 3rd gear by accident. It went off without a hitch.

I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. I'll be gone off for the next two years to Wales/England and when I come back I expect to see the Polo in the driveway still. I won't be able to buy another car for about 3 years I reckon so I'm hoping they don't sell it in the meantime.

Here's a picture of an English version of my car. Not the manliest of colours. It has slightly faded over the years to become more purple than blue, but **** it I love it. The car has been in the family for 17 years (it's the same age as my sister) and I hope to keep it for another few years at least.

polo%20blue%20n%20reg%20front%20(Custom)%20(2).JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

polo%20blue%20n%20reg%20front%20(Custom)%20(2).JPG

**** yeah VW Polos! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Sounds like a brilliant car. Not sure why someone would have an issue with what you choose to drive. You can't go wrong with a car costing 400 and lasting 7 years.

I must admit to being slightly embarrassed by what my parents drove, but that's only because it kept on breaking down in the main street, and we all had to get out and help push start the old bird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

esharknz wrote: »
    Sounds like a brilliant car. Not sure why someone would have an issue with what you choose to drive. You can't go wrong with a car costing 400 and lasting 7 years.

I must admit to being slightly embarrassed by what my parents drove, but that's only because it kept on breaking down in the main street, and we all had to get out and help push start the old bird.

haha, i remember doing that also with my own parents car, but thankfully this corolla has never broken down, but after reading everybodys posts, i feel a bit guilty about being embarrassed now, i love it really :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Had one like this in green once upon a time, the GF would refuse to travel in it and if I dropped her off it had to be around the corner:

t3_3.jpg

I loved it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Of course the cost\benefit of this changes as my career progresses

What do you mena by this? Are you saying you feel the need to get a better car as you progress up the ladder at work??

.... don't think he does, I imagine if means the more if earns the more affordable car finance is so the cost benefit of not indulging isn't as much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Was always fairly embarrassed being dropped off to school in my mother's Austin Metro...

austin_metro_10_hle_blue_1985.jpg

It didn't help that she had to cram in me, my sister, three neighboring kids & 2 of our cousins in on school runs :D
    In retrospect, it was lethal, but this was before the country was rich and we couldn't really afford a people carrier, so we had to make do.

Was always fairly embarrassed being dropped off to school in my mother's Austin Metro...

austin_metro_10_hle_blue_1985.jpg

It didn't help that she had to cram in me, my sister, three neighboring kids & 2 of our cousins in on school runs :D
    In retrospect, it was lethal, but this was before the country was rich and we couldn't really afford a people carrier, so we had to make do.

Did she have to pump up the suspension after each run! My dad had quite a lot of these pass through his garage. The pump was always in constant use!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Don't remember that, I do recall there being a choke to start it though?

We went through at least three that I remember... We also bought one for parts that was kept in the garage, it ended up being our dogs 'house' where she slept for many happy years 'til it was scrapped (the car, not the dog).

Don't remember that,

It was a box kinda like a tool box with an arm on it and it has a tube with fluid and the mechanic in our garage used to pump up the suspension with it. Maybe im day dreaming and thinking of something totally different!

mrs crilly wrote: »
    It was a box kinda like a tool box with an arm on it and it has a tube with fluid and the mechanic in our garage used to pump up the suspension with it. Maybe im day dreaming and thinking of something totally different!

......... Hydragas_pump.jpg

Spot on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm in a 99 Corolla liftback with the ugly headlights and plenty of dings and scrapes. It's hideous but it goes.

For the 20k I've put on the clock and not counting the petrol, I've spent a grand total of €750 on her (including a new set of tyres and a post-passing the NCT service!).

Advertisement