Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ares TAR-21 Tavor Review-Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Hi guys,thanks for the excellent info re the Tavor, mine arrives next week, can you clarify what you have done for the rear sling point? As far as I can see it is simply a hole in the rear stock of the gun.

Does the eotech fit easily, it appears that you have put it on with both a rail and without, is that correct?

used a rail for all the mounting of optics, i simply used 10mm spacer to rise the optics up a bit,

you can use the rear sling point in a number of way, hear are a few examples...

65743717.png
    n556585963_47335_747.jpg
    n5575819176368909915.jpg
    n5135055878400238289.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

any one see the reveiw in this months airsoft international??

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

Hey guys,

My Tavor is after breaking, and I did use 8.4v battery, what i found out about my Tavor from MIA is that is dosent have resistor o_0 [WTF?!]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

First of all, I'd like to thank you. That one line has made me laugh louder and harder than I have done for weeks. Not the bit about it being broken, I empathise seriously about that, but the rest of it. Oh the things I'd like to say about it...

Did he say where this mythical resistor is missing from? I don't own an Ares Tavor (yet) but a cursory look at the exploded diagram shows no sign of any resistor being mounted in any part of the assembly for any reason.

What exactly seems to be the problem? How is it "broken" and what were you doing when it happened?

• Advertisement

im going to assume you ment fuse, the tavor does not have a fuse as stock, none of the star/ares stuff does, never been a problem for me, would only be an issue if you locked up and still keeped trying to fire,

if you brought it from MIA it should be under warrenty so take it back

p.s did your tavor lock up in semi?

Agreed. A lot of people even take them out altogether since they're often more of an inconvenience than anything else. I've seen (and used) plenty of AEG's where the fuse was either removed or shorted over and never seen a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rossism

Anyone elses tavor having trouble with semi?

mine stops shooting after a while ,although it kicks back in after changing to full auto.

Is it only me or is anyone else having this problem?

i go have that problem it has dropped off a little but still get it from time to time, seems to be a problem with a horizontally mounted motor, issue happens with other gearbox like this, making shore i fully conpress the trigger and not lightly tapping it to fast helps cut this out for me, i will be installing a mostef in time from experiance this can help as well

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Is there not a mosfet in it?

I ask as Firekitten mentioned in her review that it had a mosfet.

I was looking/playing with this the other day and was tempted. Found it to be a little heavy (Im used to the g&g cqb-s anyways!), but I have to admit the easy spring change is what is making me want to buy this guy.

• Advertisement

the tavor does not have a mosfet it has a micro switch for the tigger system the same as all the other star/ares aegs i've, interesting the slr and fnc are know to look up as well

fuse :D sorry I took wrong word as iam not Irish and english is my second launge.

It seems that cables that conncet battery are brocken inside, I did twist them to close the tavor proply.

Take it back in and get it repaired or replaced. Thats not the kind of thing that should happen in the first few weeks of ownership so it may be s simple defect.

NakedDex wrote: »
    Take it back in and get it repaired or replaced. Thats not the kind of thing that should happen in the first few weeks of ownership so it may be s simple defect.

In few days :(

Iam quite unhappy about this gun...

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭maciek87

I`m not quite sure now about, but I always thought that TAR have both micro-srutut-switch AND masfet...? No...?

the tavor does not have a mosfet as stock, the tavor has a micro switch in its trigger mechanism same as the rest of the star/ares line and in the m249

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rossism

Anyone know how to change the position of the red dot in the mars sight?

rossism wrote: »
    Anyone know how to change the position of the red dot in the mars sight?

there are 4 screws on it, 2 of them are for laser and other two are for reddot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Dont like the mars?

Rock and fecking roll...

dsc00264aqg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Darth Phoenix

Hi Firekitten,
    Finally somebody who has changed their tavor 21 mars sight. Colud you put up some tutorials on how to change it as i heard it involves alot of work to do it right......
    Regards from an aimless tavor 21 user :(

• Advertisement

not that much work, have a look at the review http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055595962

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Darth Phoenix

Oh god ty ty ty ty ty ty ty ty ty ty ty ty ty ty :D:D.
    I owe ya a bottle of bb's for that.
    Thanks again Puding ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Levy613

Hi

I have just purchased a Tavor TAR-21 and have had loads of problems with the firing, be it in either semi or auto mode.

I am using the 8.4 battery as recommended and it is still the same.

Been talking to Zeroone airsoft who I have purchased it from, but they are also having the same problems with the rest of the Tavor's TAR_21 that they stock.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks very much.

what problems you have with semi and auto? is it locking up ? need a bit more imformation to be able to help, if you read the review thread i go over the lock up problems i had

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Had to post here I'm sorry.

I was a big fan of the "idea" of having a Tavor. But after holding one, firing one, and being fired against, it is literally the biggest pile of ****e for €480 I've seen.

On first pickup, I wasn't overally impressed with the rubbery feel. But I got over it quickly, it was a Tavor, and Mac made it awesome. However I noticed that the mag supplied with it would not stick in, tried my midcaps, same. The mag catch is flimpsy at best and rubbish. A good ol dboys mag stuck in but that would be an annoying problem.

The cocking handle is just confusing and sounds filthy. You go to rack it back and it goes back a little, then grinding forward, and in view it a filthy compressed spring that makes it operate, not a pretty sight.

The iron sights on the rifle are extremely poor and ancient looking. Theres literally one big long piece of metal that flips up on the front, and a very ****ty rear sight, completely useless and very poorly designed/made.

The MARS sight is so poor and disgraceful, if I got it with a €40 springer I'd complain. It has 3-4 settings for "brightness" but it is a TINY dot, that gets no brighter or dimmer. For me its the piece that makes the rifle important and beautiful, it looked good, but functioning was pants, I'd love to tear it off and slap a PROPER WORKING Eotech onto it.

There was a number of buttons that pushed, but did nothing that I could see. I watched as one lad went through a stressful perdiod trying to get the batteries in, the design point of view looks retarded for how the battery inserts.

So thats the woes and tribulations BEFORE the thing even got fired, which is what infuriates me even more, and firmly put in my mind
    A)Never buy a Tavor from Ares
    B)Never buy from Ares/Star

On roughly 8-10 occasions I came within 30 feet of a Tavor. And the enemy got the jump on me, and before I could react 20 rounds were of at me, first time round I called hit and walked away, thinking " I didnt actually get hit, must have hit a mag". Second time around though I realised i didnt get hit, and dropped the target.

Third time, Alan, had his rifle aimed at my chest yet I got bursted in the neck and cheek. The next engagement with alan, his BB's missed me completely from about 14 feet. This happend numerous other times. The hop up on those guns are complete and utter tripe.

Two Tavors were out tonight, out of the box, and could not hit jack ****. With hop fully off, they shot straight into the air. What use is that? Its fair enough saying right you need a hop fix, but I've been told the hop up on #EVERY one of these rifles in this country is fail. 6 different people, tonight another 2, experiencing hop up fail.

Seemingly word I received was that alot of Tavors shipped wihout any hop up unit or some part, epic quality management fail.

Have to say for that sort of money I'd expect more then the heap of junk Ares are selling. Greatly dissapointed cause I was looking forward to having a go of one then picking one up, will not be touching this with a barge pole.

I'll hope that the TSI one is a bit better, as in its hop up unit works,,you know..the most ****ing essential thing in a rifle.

OK firstly.... you seem to put a lot of unsubstatiated opinionated crap in that post... ill start from the top...

Rubbery feel? erm What?

the ares midcap that came with mine is the best mag I own, over CA, mag, and other brands... brilliant, feeds great, the mag catch is different, but works perfectly..

the iron sights... have you actually looked at them? **** bit of metal? erm, its fully ajustable for elevation, remember its buis? crap? sod off mate, they are extremely accurate and precice iron sights...

yep, the mars is crap. eotech? no, that looks ****, put an acog on, atleast its used.

cocking handle? well something was jammed, guess waht? the battery wire was probably catching the bolt mech at the rear,.. easy to do, but fixable, it doesnt grind, and by the way, REAL GUNS HAVE SPRINGS ON COCKING LEVERS, DUH.

buttons that do nothing...

handguard: laser press switch
    behind mag: bolt cover release which holds it back, also, gearbox de-tensioning feature like ICS m4s...

top rear is NV mount, not buttons, the rest is easy enough for even a masada fanboy to work out...

trials and tribulations with the battery? well he must have been rather daft, its fairly easy to do... pin out, battery in, done....

Im sorry you dont like it, but these all seem personal winges regarding a weapon.

The performance issues you mentioned ive heard of, but cannot really empathise, as my weapon performs perfectly as adversited.... with NO work outside the box bar setting the apparently non existant hop....

ever consider alan maybe cant shoot for ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well I took the rifle for a few rounds at the start, and was not impressed from the word go at the ridic elevation that was experienced. I would trust my girlfriend to be able to shoot me from 10 feet, so the actual user is no issue, it was visable how shocking the rifle was, and that from about 5-7 feet, aimed at my legs, it managed to crack my neck and cheek.

Obviously its a peronsal opinionated post, everyones is, yours right there is.

It does have a poor rubbery feel to it, where you can actually squeeze the rear of the rifle and it presses in.

The Areas midcap on the one I took out, would not lock into the rifle, and my mags wouldnt lock in either. Mag catch felt very flimsy, and looking inside, was commented that it didnt look the best of shape.

The mere fact you said accurate and precise, then ironsight, in relation to an airsoft gun was a tad bit lol there to be frank. A skinny front ironsight pops up from the front, and a small rear one comes up from the back, flipped around, that could not even been seen properly through the mars, maybe they were not setup right, but they are absolutely shocking looking, an did not look effective what so ever in use.

The cocking lever was pants, I felt I'd break it pulling it back too hard, and it would only got a fraction, then the bolt cover would open, it defies the point of having the whole exposed cocking lever there with the ****e looknig spring. Why not, like an mp5, have only the room it needs to move back and forth, instead of the whole length of the front assembly, when it moves like what 4 inches?

Every time on release, it actually felt like it was grinding. And Yes real rifles was use springs, but would it take much to cover it up, it looks like a springer childs toy and is a serious eye sore.

There was two or three buttons on the rear end of the rifle, that seemed to have no function, and looked completely out of place....the front end laser button? does it actually work? didnt see no laser.

He wasn't daft with the battery, its a retarded design, pulls the wires,over the motor, then down, granted after some time you can owrk it out quickly, but its just seemed over complicated.

Like you said yours is fine, but the amount of fails in this country, and from reading in other countries, is a bit of a joke considering the price of the thing.

And of course they are personal whinges, but they are valid ones, ironic you call me a masada fanboy....but I knew the first response to my post would be yourself, with a hostile sly response....the traits of a fangirl.... : /

One working sports lines out of twenty doesn't make sportlines good, they are still ****. For a rifle that costs nearly €500 , to put that into perspective, thats THE most expensive rifle available on the irish market today afaik, from a "supposidly" high end manafacturer, you'd expect some quality in performance minimum.

Three guys got rifles, with no hop up units, like, there was no actual units in the rifle, what is that about?

I've noticed a trend with the Tavors. It seems those who got them upon launch are having no problems but anyone who got them after that are seeing more and more reliability issues. I've heard several accounts of hop failures and a few of the hop simply not being there as well as a couple of others.

While I am itching at the bit to get one, I think I'm going to hold off for a while. This could be a case of Ares not realising the demand for the Tavor, or at least underestimating it, and their QC slips for a while as they rush manufacture enough to keep up with orders. It might right itself in a month or two and everyone has happy, glowing reports like those who have the initial batch are dishing out.

Hopefully this isn't a CA job. Ares/Star are nothing if not innovative and have one of the most interesting ranges out there (an M200 and a Tavor released in the same month, beats another M4 variant). I'd hate to see them go south based on their QC.

cocking lever: as i said, battery wire trapped behind the transit frame of the bolt cover, fix that, its fine.
    also why cover the spring? real rifles dont? fecking poser...
    iron sights through mars... wrong... you can see them through it CLEARLY, they cowitnes....

squeezy body... what?

It seems ireland got a bad batch, which is suprising.

I cant comment again on the things you raise, as you dont get it it seems.

This is silly, you're basing this all on lemmons, when plenty are happy with them, i invite you to use my tavor when i see you next... please take it for the day to use... you will see a huge difference... I have working hop, working mag catch, brilliant build quality and operation with my weapon which was one of the first into the UK.... mine works, ive done nothing to it but change from 328 to 370 for an event and back... and that was a dream to do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

TheDoc wrote: »
    It does have a poor rubbery feel to it, where you can actually squeeze the rear of the rifle and it presses in.
    TheDoc wrote:
    There was two or three buttons on the rear end of the rifle, that seemed to have no function, and looked completely out of place....the front end laser button? does it actually work? didnt see no laser.

Sorry to ask this, but are you sure you were using a Tavor? I've played with FireKitten's ... I could quite confidently club a CaveTroll to death it without worry of flexing.

Secondly, yes there is a laser button and the "buttons" to which you refer at the back of the rifle are actually pins. Perhaps you might want to re-examine the Tavor and learn what is what before slatting it wholesale ...
    The mere fact you said accurate and precise, then ironsight, in relation to an airsoft gun was a tad bit lol there to be frank. A skinny front ironsight pops up from the front, and a small rear one comes up from the back, flipped around, that could not even been seen properly through the mars, maybe they were not setup right, but they are absolutely shocking looking, an did not look effective what so ever in use.

Yes; accurate + precise + ironsight. I've used them to satisfaction. I would also add the words fire & laser into the sentence as well.

Edit: btw things like missing hop units are f*ck ups. But those are Ares f*ck ups, not the AEG itself that's at fault ...

Advertisement