Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

• 23-09-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

Hi everyone,

I love boards but it hasn't really got an up to date thread about Slimming world so was hoping to start one up for support for anyone following the Slimming World Extra Easy Plan

I followed WW for yrs with little sucess so thought I needed to shake things up a bit so I decided to join slimming world
    I joined 2Wks ago and had my first WI on Tuesday and was down 3.5lbs I'm delighted with that and feel like the plan is working for me
    I'm still new to it so would love if anyone following the plan for a while could offer support and tips to newbies like me

Here's hoping for loads of tips and tricks

Thanks in advance everyone

Hoping there's loads of response
    Layla0509

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chumpster

Hi Layla,
    I joined SW last night so am pretty much in same boat as yourself...
    I have tried all the other diets & same old story...lose some weight & then pile it & more back on...Am going to give this a shot as sick of being fat :(

Would love to track our progress & swap ideas.

Looking forward to the pounds dropping off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Forgive me for sounding a little rude, this isn't intentional, but I feel I have to speak on this one........

Both of ye have previously tried gimmicky diets. Ye lost weight initially, but then put it back on. Ye're now after starting another gimmicky diet, and have lost weight initially........can ye see a pattern? Apart from handing over ye're money to some gimmicky diet company that is!

How about ye actually make a change for the better? It doesn't require any money really. It's my magic diet, I'm calling it "Read the Stickies in this forum and the Health & Fitness forum, as well as follow these forums/fora regularly, keep an eye on what the regular posters say and the advice they give, and adjust your diet accordingly".

It's a bit of a mouthful, granted, but it works and is far better than Weight Watchers, Slimming World and whatever the latest craze will be next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Frogdog wrote: »
    Forgive me for sounding a little rude, this isn't intentional, but I feel I have to speak on this one........

Both of ye have previously tried gimmicky diets. Ye lost weight initially, but then put it back on. Ye're now after starting another gimmicky diet, and have lost weight initially........can ye see a pattern? Apart from handing over ye're money to some gimmicky diet company that is!

How about ye actually make a change for the better? It doesn't require any money really. It's my magic diet, I'm calling it "Read the Stickies in this forum and the Health & Fitness forum, as well as follow these forums/fora regularly, keep an eye on what the regular posters say and the advice they give, and adjust your diet accordingly".

It's a bit of a mouthful, granted, but it works and is far better than Weight Watchers, Slimming World and whatever the latest craze will be next week.

You are being rude. Not everyone wants to eat paleo, so please, stop SHOVING it down peoples throats. Some people need the support of a weekly meeting and don't have the will power and self-motivation that a lot of people seem to have on here.

Paleo or clean eating is not for everyone. Some people like their carbs or their small sweet treat every evening. It is what keeps them ON the wagon. There is nothing magic about your diet. Just like any other diet, is damn hard work. It is even harder if you are not eating things you enjoy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

where did he say paleo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

bluewolf wrote: »
    where did he say paleo

It is pretty much all people talk about on this part of the forum, so I made an assumption.

Apologies if it was an incorrect one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pennylemon

Hey,

This thread didnt really get off to a good start did it? But I have to agree with both of you in a way. Different diets work for different people and that is the bottom line, there is black and white answers to keeping fit and slimming.

I did slimming world last winter and to be honest... I loved the diet and I lost 8 pounds in 5 weeks but I stopped going. I stopped because I found the lady doing the class seemed patronising and definately concentrated on the very overweight people rather that the ladies who were sizes 16 or so. I think I just didnt like the lady really.

But to be fair, the whole thing really wasnt for me as I do enjoy excercising and I love vegatables and really didnt need to be so strict with myself, I just needed to get fit and cut out chocolate. But I totally understood that other people need the comfort of a meeting to encourage them and promote willpower.

And for that I think this thread should be left for those who would like to discuss tips and receipes who are members of Slimming World. So for all the people who this diet works for, share your ideas.

Personally now I am reading Jason Vales Juice book, not going to follow his diet, but I am gonna start making some juices for breakfast as a nice way to kick start the day.

Its all about finding a diet that works FOR YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I joined Slimming World online as there's no class in my area. It's been over a week and I though they'd have sent me out books, etc but nothing. Wondering if I've wasted €75 now! All I've gotten is an email reminding me to enter my weekly weigh in - and I GAINED 4.5 lbs!! Really surprised as normally (yep, I've been on ALL the diets before) you lose the most the 1st week of the diet.

Wondering if I would be better off doing Slimfast? Though I'd have to be on them for 6 months to lose the amount of weight I have to lose. Or hoodia tablets, anyone tried those?

Done Weightwatchers, Unislim before and really don't want to go to classes, can't take the humiliation of if, I used to often come out in tears when I went there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

pennylemon wrote: »
    Hey,

This thread didnt really get off to a good start did it? But I have to agree with both of you in a way. Different diets work for different people and that is the bottom line, there is black and white answers to keeping fit and slimming.

I did slimming world last winter and to be honest... I loved the diet and I lost 8 pounds in 5 weeks but I stopped going. I stopped because I found the lady doing the class seemed patronising and definately concentrated on the very overweight people rather that the ladies who were sizes 16 or so. I think I just didnt like the lady really.

But to be fair, the whole thing really wasnt for me as I do enjoy excercising and I love vegatables and really didnt need to be so strict with myself, I just needed to get fit and cut out chocolate. But I totally understood that other people need the comfort of a meeting to encourage them and promote willpower.

And for that I think this thread should be left for those who would like to discuss tips and receipes who are members of Slimming World. So for all the people who this diet works for, share your ideas.

Personally now I am reading Jason Vales Juice book, not going to follow his diet, but I am gonna start making some juices for breakfast as a nice way to kick start the day.

Its all about finding a diet that works FOR YOU!

Incorrect. Weight Watchers etc are not supposed to be about diets per sé, they're supposed to be about changing ATTITUDES for LIFE. A diet to me suggests denying yourself something in the short term for a result. We all know that a diet is IMPOSSIBLE to follow for your whole life. STart making better food decisions, execising more and it will become second nature and the NEED for counting points etc will subside.

fonril wrote: »
    I joined Slimming World online as there's no class in my area. It's been over a week and I though they'd have sent me out books, etc but nothing. Wondering if I've wasted €75 now! All I've gotten is an email reminding me to enter my weekly weigh in - and I GAINED 4.5 lbs!! Really surprised as normally (yep, I've been on ALL the diets before) you lose the most the 1st week of the diet.

Wondering if I would be better off doing Slimfast? Though I'd have to be on them for 6 months to lose the amount of weight I have to lose. Or hoodia tablets, anyone tried those?

Done Weightwatchers, Unislim before and really don't want to go to classes, can't take the humiliation of if, I used to often come out in tears when I went there before.
    Slimfast really isn't an option. Educate yourself on food & nutrition, incorporate a little bit of exercise. There's no point in being reduced to tears - what made you cry? Embarrassment? Shame? What is it? Honestly, I'm trying to lose weight myself at the minute, have about 4 stone to lose, and I know a fair bit about food, just need to put it into practice.

Try and make good clean decisions for you breakfast, lunch and dinner. Allow yourself a takeaway once a week if you wish, as long as it's not a TOTAL blowout. Be nice to yourself. You'll feel much better when you're putting better food into your body and exercising. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pennylemon

AnnaGram85 wrote: »
    Incorrect. Weight Watchers etc are not supposed to be about diets per sé, they're supposed to be about changing ATTITUDES for LIFE. A diet to me suggests denying yourself something in the short term for a result. We all know that a diet is IMPOSSIBLE to follow for your whole life. STart making better food decisions, execising more and it will become second nature and the NEED for counting points etc will subside.

AnnaGram,

The word diet does not mean "fad diet" or the type of diet people pay money to follow... it literally means what you put in your mouth! Hence what I said about finding a diet that works for you! You've been able to figure out what might work for you and I totally agree because thats what I do, eat healthy and excercise with the odd treat. You seem to have an issue with the word "diet". Anyway, some people don't have the ability to stop their bad habits and therefore need some guidance and help from a points system or a group meeting.

This lady started the forum to swap ideas about slimming world, lets leave her to it please.

• Advertisement

pennylemon wrote: »
    AnnaGram,

The word diet does not mean "fad diet" or the type of diet people pay money to follow... it literally means what you put in your mouth! Hence what I said about finding a diet that works for you! You've been able to figure out what might work for you and I totally agree because thats what I do, eat healthy and excercise with the odd treat. You seem to have an issue with the word "diet". Anyway, some people don't have the ability to stop their bad habits and therefore need some guidance and help from a points system or a group meeting.

This lady started the forum to swap ideas about slimming world, lets leave her to it please.
    That's fair enough. It wasn't clear from your post that's the sort of 'diet' you meant...

And yes, I DO have an issue with the word 'diet' used in the 'fad diet' type way as it's a quick fix and solves/changes nothing.

AnnaGram85 wrote: »
    SThere's no point in being reduced to tears - what made you cry? Embarrassment? Shame? What is it? Honestly, I'm trying to lose weight myself at the minute, have about 4 stone to lose, and I know a fair bit about food, just need to put it into practice.

What used to upset me about WW classes was the part where they'd cheer for the ones who lost that week and just ignore the ones who'd gained or stayed the same. I did WW strictly for a whole 12 months the last time I tried it and was the exact same weight at the end as I was at the start, despite weighing exact portions & going to the gym.

I'm limited in exercise now because of an operation I had on my back (can only do walking or exercise bike, no high impact stuff) and with 10 stone to lose it just feels far too insurmountable a problem. Even if I was to lose 1 lb a week, it would take me 140 weeks, that's nearly 3 years of feeling deprived and miserable. I know it has to be done but I'm feeling really depressed about it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dixie456

hey layla

wondering if i can join in! only started slimming world this week and loving it so far. its the first time in a long time that im cooking proper meals without using jars etc. l dont feel hungry at all and feel 10 times better already.

i know alot of people think they are gimmicky diets but iv learned so many healthy recipes already this week and even if thats all i get out of it it wil be worth it.

would be great to track progress etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Blue8439

Hello!

I joined slimming world about three months ago and i have to say it has been the best thing i've ever done! Before I joined, I was doing weight watchers online, which was fine but I was having very small losses and I just got fed up with having to weigh and measure EVERYTHING that wen't into my mouth - I could not spend the rest of my life doing that!

Slimming world has just changed my eating habits completely. I eat so much food, all filling and healthy and 'free' and most days will have a small bar of chocolate and/or light crisps and i still see amazing losses. At the beginning I found it hard to get out of the ww frame of mind and accepting i can eat as much pasta as will fill me! Although fruit and veg are the superfoods, I think it's great to have a plan that will promote all sorts of healthy foods as 'free'.

In the three months I have lost close to 2 stone (hoping to get that this week. gone from an 18 to a 14/16), which i think is amazing, especially since I had already been eating healthy with ww beforehand. I know different plans work for different people but this one is definately for me, long after this is finished I will have learned healthy eating habits for life :) Good luck to everyone! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lanoche

I went on the first meeting and suscribe and bought the book with all the brand.
    I haven't went again. I'll do it be myself and it works for me so far 6 pounds in 6 days.
    I eat everything and drink everything
    it really looks like a life changing, i like it after all the diet I've done I fell like maybe it's the good one.

find a good friend and meet her evry week and exchange with her, it's more personnalised.
    You know what it's good for you I'm sure, be strong.

Layla0509 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I love boards but it hasn't really got an up to date thread about Slimming world so was hoping to start one up for support for anyone following the Slimming World Extra Easy Plan

I followed WW for yrs with little sucess so thought I needed to shake things up a bit so I decided to join slimming world
    I joined 2Wks ago and had my first WI on Tuesday and was down 3.5lbs I'm delighted with that and feel like the plan is working for me
    I'm still new to it so would love if anyone following the plan for a while could offer support and tips to newbies like me

Layla0509

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FMcM

I have been with slimming world since the end of April and I am now 2 stone 2.5 lbs lighter, it is a healthy eating plan more than a diet. It is so easy to follow and you never feel as if you are denying yourself as you can still have treats just in smaller quantities. I had very high cholestrol and it has helped to bring it down into ythe normal range. I wasn't able to exercise as I have a bad back so I am very pleased with the results. My BMI is down to 25.7 I hope you stick with it, it takes a few weeks to get used to what you can eat but then it becomes second nature as you don't have to measure or weigh any of the free foods. After the first month I was starting to slow down and my resolve was weakening I then discovered Skinny Cow ice creams at 3 syns each which kept me sane through the summer, now my treat of choice is a curly wurly out of the fridge at 6 syns. This keeps my sweet tooth satisfied. If I go for a meal out I usually go for chicken with cashew nuts and boiled rice (chinese) or a fish dish with vegetables and potatoes. I do avoid bread and instead have two alpen light bars for my healthy B. I eat loads of 0% fat youghurts with lots of fruit mainly blueberries, strawberries and bananas.
    Hope this helps, keep up the good work, its worth it and you will feel much healthier.

Layla0509 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Layla0509

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayDonegal

Hi everyone,

Just today signed up for slimming world online. havent had much time to look through same on the internet but wondered has anyone here followed slimming world online

also i have signed up for the 3 month program and am hoping to do the extra easy food plan..

with regards to what food to eat/avoid etc how many points syns etc in food, does this info have to be checked online or does slimming world post out this "new starter" meeting book???

any help or comments would be great thanks
    mg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Hi

I just joined online too! I'm a bit disappointed already to be honest.

I'm not really sure what Extra Easy really, is it being able to eat from both red and green days without weighing anything???

Also under the heading of "Hidden Syns" it states that smoothies are not syn-free nor is fruit in a can yet on free foods all the fruits I would use in a smoothie are free, some are even super-free so are they referring to shop-bought smoothies? Also, is canned fruit not free in it's own juice?

I'm a bit annoyed that I've had to email them already or am I just thick??

Any ideas???

Hello

Looking for some advice please, just joined Slimming World online and am confused (or maybe just can't believe:eek:).... is Extra Easy eating both Red and Green foods together without having to weigh say pasta if you were having a Red day?

I'm afraid to believe it's true!!

Anyone clarify please???

Also do you ever make a smoothie with Free fruit and Fat Free Yogurt. In one section online it talks about "hidden Syns" and states that smoothies are NOT syn-free? Surely this means shop-bought ones? It doesn't clarify on the website. It also says that canned fruit isn't syn-free but I thought canned fruit was in it's own juice? Very confused now.

I've emailed them because I feel a bit annoyed to be honest that it's not particularly clear.

Any advice from you guys greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Lee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FMcM

Extra easy is the orange plan in the book, the green plan is for vegetarians and the red plan is for people who like a lot of meat so extra easy suits most people, lots of free foods such as lean meat, fish, chicken, eggs etc along with pasta rice and potaotoes. You must take at least 1/3 super free foods ie fruit and veg with any meal.
    The syn value of foods is based on calories and fibre content so a piece of fruit is free but when you make it into a smootie you breakdown the fibre so it has syn values, same as juice has a syn value even if you make the juice yourself. hope this helps...:)

• Advertisement

mullingar wrote: »
    It also says that canned fruit isn't syn-free but I thought canned fruit was in it's own juice? Very confused now.

A lot of canned fruit is actually in syrup, not juice and again perhaps it's syn-valued due to being too easy to digest. It may seem daft but if you think about it, you could easily have a smoothie that contained 2 or 3 bananas and knock it back whereas you wouldn't really sit and peel and eat 3 bananas in one sitting....so I suppose the logic is that if it's in a smoothie or perhaps in the canned form (which usually means the fruit is skinless and softer) then it's too easy to over indulge.

I'm loving the Muller Light fat free yogurts, which are free and are yummy with a bit of chopped banana in, (esp. the toffee flavour) so perhaps you could have those instead of a smoothie?

I've lost 6lbs in the 5 weeks I've been doing Slimming World, not the fastest loss but I'm not feeling very deprived either so it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Having previously been a ww follower for too many years to remember I switched over to slimming world mainly due to the crap ww leader in our town. I love SW its so easy. Any cravings seem to have almost gone, I think this is due to eating more fruit and veg. I dont usually eat between meals as I am satisfied from each meal for a much longer period of time and dont get hit with any sudden pangs of hunger. I stick religiously to the 1/3 of a meal been either veg/fruit and I believe this is key. Weight loss is slower but is easier achieved and for me has stopped breakouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayDonegal

Hi Mullingar,

I am totally lost with regards to slimming world online. I work long hours and havent had much of a chance to read up on it as much as i would like to but like that im pretty disappointed with it all.

am confused totally. back to the drawing board.
    mg

I would not imagine that you will be posted out any info, there is a slimming world ireland number available on their site and you can ring that to double check. Weightwatchers on line dont post out books all the info is available on line sio I wouldnt be suprised if its the same.
    You really have to take time to read all the info you can it does take time for thigs to fall into place. Smoothies are not free food you need to either syn them or omit them from your diet. Or you can make your own using 0% fat natural yogurt with either fresh or frozen fruit not tinned. There are 3 plans extra easy, original and green, extra easy is the one they are promoting as best but the choice is yours. And no the EE plan does not mean you can choose from both original and green food lists. Feel free to ask me any questions and I will answer, but I suggest if ye are serious about this and dont want to have wasted yer money set some time aside and do the research. This plan does need time and effort as most meals need to be cooed from scratch using fresh ingredients. However if you are organised it will be no prob. Best of luck its easy to stick to so its worth the effort to start.

Hi Astra,

Thanks for the response(s)!.

I'm deadly serious about it for sure but the EE is just not that "easy" to understand. I feel stupid but all that I can see from the 7 day EE menu online is that you are eating pasta & meat, potatoes & meat etc.,. I did SW years ago and am very familiar with the red and green days so I just feel I'm missing something with the EE plan. At no place/point on the website does it really explain it other than by saying you can choose unlimited amounts of chicken etc, and pasta, rice potatoes. It mentions the Free & Superfree food aswell. It's very poorly explained. I have mailed them but await a response. What then is the EE plan? I'm sticking with red or green days at the moment.

Thanks for your help, much needed and appreciated!

Astra,

Somebody also got back to me in relation to smoothies and seemingly you cannot count a smoothie, albeit, homemade as FREE food, it has to be given a Syn value, something to do with fibres in the fruit. The fat free yogurt doesn't matter either, it's the fruit that has to be given the syn value. I noticed that last night on the Syn list, pureed/blended fruit is a Syn.

Thought I was doing great things having smoothies (:

Galway/Donegal

Don't give up, stay with me here:) We'll crack it. I'm waiting for SW to get back to me. I got the latest magazine and it's not explained in that either about the Extra Easy plan.

Another poster, Astra, has been really helpful too.

Anyway stay on board, I did SW years ago via postal subscription and did the red/green day and it is really brilliant. Because I can't comprehend the new EASY plan, I'm sticking with red/green days just now.

Come back :p

Hi again dont feel stupid, I enrolled in classes and the leader sits down with all newbies for 1/2 an hour and goes through the book which we get a copy of. I dont ever have smoothies but somewhere I did read/hear that they are not free as they are easy to overindulge on I just presumed that it was the shop bought ones. The main rule with slimming world is that 1/3 of your meal must be made up of free fruit/veg. Free foods are all meats trimmed of fat, quorn products, fruit and veg fresh/frozen. Fish, rice pasta noodles and potatoes are free too fat free yogurt and fromage frais is free as is quark and cottage cheese. Each day you pick one food from a healthy extra "a" list and one fromhealthy extra "b" list. A consists of some low fat dairy products, I usually just use skimmed milk for tea during the day. B consists of some cereals like 28g porridge grains or some bread/rolls which have to be whole meal/grain and weigh no more than 57g. You are allowed 15 syns per day each syn is 20 calories so approx 300 calories a day. I would use these syns for olive oil/sauces ect and sometimes a treat. You can eat from the free list as many times during the day as you want but to be honest I struggle somedays to manage 3 meals as they are so filling. I havent tried the red or green days as I find the extra easy is flexible enough for me. Best of luck hope sw gets back to you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

fonril wrote: »

I've been looking at the site as I'm considering joining. It looks like you only get a book sent out if you join as a gold member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Joining slimming world has been the best thing I've ever done. I joined in July and I've lost 2 stone, only 1 stone to my perfect/target/healthy weight. I've never lasted this long on a diet(i hate using the word diet for slimming world,because its not-its a new healthy way of life for me) and because of this I know I will lose another stone and I KNOW I will keep the weight off.

It helps that we have a great consultant, she's really hands on, everyone in the meeting get along and we all talk daily on the closed facebook group,I love going to class now to see all those shrinking ladies and gentlemen too :)

Best decision I have ever made! Would love a forum here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement