Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

employ the unemployed at the polling stations!

• 28-10-2011 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Nice to see that most polling stations had retired gardai, teachers and various pillars of society that don,t need the money, so much for innovation, where i'm from its the same people every election running the polling, and they certainly dont need the cash, i've never seen these jobs advertised either, guess its who you know:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Nice to see that most polling stations had retired gardai, teachers and various pillars of society that don,t need the money, so much for innovation, where i'm from its the same people every election running the polling, and they certainly dont need the cash, i've never seen these jobs advertised either, guess its who you know:D

Fair comment but then again it is Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 36,020 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You're right, but we've always spelled nepotism with capital letters in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I contacted the returning officer in Dublin over a month ago (am unemployed) and was given a job.
    A quick email followed by a return call from them and they checked that i was on the unemployed register and I was given a polling place.
    Out of four there, one was a public servant.

Next time, email them! It takes a second.
    A very long day though (16hrs) but good money and I was delighted to get a days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

gambiaman wrote: »
    I contacted the returning officer in Dublin over a month ago (am unemployed) and was given a job.
    A quick email followed by a return call from them and they checked that i was on the unemployed register and I was given a polling place.

A very long day though (16hrs) but good money and I was delighted to get a days work.

That's good. I'm really not sure why it's not exclusively for the unemployed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Couldn't agree more OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

I wrote to the returning officer before the general election and never received a reply so I didn't bother this time around. However, in my polling station most of the returning officers appeared to be teenagers and people in their early twenties, so I guess they could have been unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Snakeblood wrote: »
    That's good. I'm really not sure why it's not exclusively for the unemployed though.

Yeah, had a good yap about it with those there yesterday.
    I understand there needs to be experienced people to act as presiding officers and as mostly PS people did that over the years I suppose that's going to continue for a while.
    The polling clerks are another matter though - there should be some link up between the returning officers office and the SW dept without a doubt.
    Once you have done it you are on their callback list for future polls - also you can apply for the count centres as well.
    So for instance, some people were getting three days work from these polls.

On a side note, I was very happy with the way the polling was conducted - the checks and balances were very stringent (as they should be) and it has restored my faith in the actual polling process!
    80% of people were asked for ID by my count, most had ID with them anyway along with polling cards.

I'd urge anyone who wants to do it to make the first move and contact their respective returning officers (council websites should give contact details) as this is the way it is at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The owl retired teachers busy at work today.

00052900-440.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There was a directive to each returning officer before the last general election to give preferential status to people from the live register when filling vacant poll Clark positions, which they did. Every new poll clerk at the polling station at which I was posted was out of work at the time. Can't be done when appointing new presiding officers, unless they have prior experience of working at a poll, simple though the job is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

fair play, unemployed myself and got the gig myself down in clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

I understand there needs to be experienced people to act as presiding officers and as mostly PS people did that over the years I suppose that's going to continue for a while.

The polling clerks are another matter though - there should be some link up between the returning officers office and the SW dept without a doubt.

Agree 100%.

Like yourself I was working yesterday.

I'd agree that the Presiding Officer should be experienced but Poll Clerks should be prioritised for the unemployed or formerly self-employed who may have no income/benefit/assistance whatsoever.

It should be pointed out however when the Tiger was roaring it was actually difficult to get people to fill all the roles.

As a footnote, I'm also involved in the North where the jobs are all advertised and spread out over a wide range of occupations and circumstances.

"Down here" (now where have we heard that recently!) it's heavily dominated by teachers, retired public servants and the like and never advertised.

Same old, same old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

i've never seen these jobs advertised either,

You shouldn't even wait for an advertisement,
    Just contact the correct person in the council.

As posted above why not make the first move.
    Don't wait for an advertisement, you put yourself forward next time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

May we ask how much is 'good money'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

mikemac wrote: »
    You shouldn't even wait for an advertisement,
    Just contact the correct person in the council.

As posted above why not make the first move.
    Don't wait for an advertisement, you put yourself forward next time

But who is the correct person? I would say most people would not know that there was paid work available. Like many things in Ireland you have to be "in the know". :mad:

(Unemployed myself and would have been very interested in working on the day)

The correct person is the Returning Officer, just call up the council offices and ask their name or email address

It would be one thing if unemployed people were getting rejected and the jobs going to connected people.
    But there is giving out going on here by people who didn't even apply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

The correct person is the Presiding Officer, just call up the council offices and ask their name or email address

It would be one thing if unemployed people were getting rejected and the jobs going to connected people.
    But there is giving out going on here by people who didn't even apply

I would have applied IF I had known that there were positions available! There was no info available beforehand.

Anyways, I will apply before the next election :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭donkey balls

They could have advertised the positions on the FAS website or in the national/local papers,Typical Ireland you have to search around to see what your entitled to imo a job like that should go to a person who is unemployed first and if the polling station cannot find a suitable person then offer it to the usual suspects teachers retired gardai etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

The jobs should be publicly advertised and given to the best candidates available not employment status. Although in saying that,if your retired or currently employed in the public service you shouldn't be able to get two paychecks from the state. And to the person who said they had trouble getting people during the boom, I NEVER saw any positions advertised and people never turned down easy money even back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

The correct person is the Presiding Officer, just call up the council offices and ask their name or email address

That's not correct.

The person to apply to for an electoral position is the Returning Officer for the particular constituency.

The Presiding Officer is the person who is in charge of your local polling station.

In fact, you may even be doing that job (PO) yourself if your application is successful!

I stand corrected :o

Happy to be corrected :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Two people employed at our poling station in Wicklow took the day off work to be there, this can't be right. Wonder if they declare their extra earnings to the revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

juuge wrote: »
    Two people employed at our poling station in Wicklow took the day off work to be there, this can't be right. Wonder if they declare their extra earnings to the revenue?

whats wrong with it? I have to say i get a bit annoyed with this attitude that people are only entitled to have one job/source of income, its a competitive world out there and nobody is 'entitled' to a job, you have to get off your arse and get after it. I have a full time job and a casual job which gives me a days work once or twice a month. I've occasionally taken a day off my full time job to work at the other job, I lose a days holiday and the second job is taxed at a massive rate, but I do it because the work is easy and i want the money. The unemployed guys who do this casual work with me take home almost twice what i do from it because they are not liable for tax and I'm happy for them.They are out grabbing whatever work they can and getting a few quid for their trouble, something more people should be doing rather than sitting at home begrudging those who chase it.
    We knew this election was coming for months surely people could have taken the initiative of applying for this work rather than getting all indignant now because it wasn't offered to the unemployed? remember that while receiving jobseekers you are supposed to be actively seeking work, don't expect it to come to you. And I'm not having a go at the unemployed, my girlfriend is out of work so I know how hard it is out there. She no longer gets any dole btw because she was means tested on my income, part of the reason i'm working every hour i can. Feels stupid now she didn't think of applying for this but certainly has no problem with others employed or otherwise getting it.
    O and since its a public job I'm sure the revenue know all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

I was a poll clerk while I was on the dole back in (I think it was) 1992.
    My dole was docked by almost the same amount as I earned for the day, so they most have improved they pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Just apply to the local council and you'll probably get it, even if you have to wait a year or so to get it. I know lot's of people who applied and got the job this year. I've been doing it for 3 years and it's always a great day. I do have a job but there are a lot of things I wouldn't be able to afford during the year if it weren't for working at the elections.

If you are thinking of applying, do it asap as there is a referendum in February apparently.

And yes the earnings are declared to the revenue, they dock your tax before you receive your earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

juuge wrote: »

I don't see a problem. People are entitled to take holidays from work. Some use it for vacations, I don't think there's anything wrong with using your holidays to earn a bit more cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

LOL. Every election.

I worked at my local polling station during the general elections whilst I was out of work. Out of 6 of us, at least 3 were unemployed, and at least one voter commented that she did not recognise any of the workers there from before.

A month or so ago I received a letter from the local returning officer that from any elections in the future they would be employing students and the unemployed, only keeping on one or two at each centre who had done the job before to have someone expereiced there. If I wanted the job this time, I would have had to reapply.

I went in thursday to cast my vote, and only two of the people who were working the general election were working, and not one of them, looked like a retired public service worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

May we ask how much is 'good money'?

Fella I know did it, hes 18. Only got it coz his mother works in the council an stuck his name down for it.. Think he said he got €552 for it, was over 500 anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Fella I know did it, hes 18. Only got it coz his mother works in the council an stuck his name down for it.. Think he said he got €552 for it, was over 500 anyway.
    WTF!? That's ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

nommm wrote: »
    I don't see a problem. People are entitled to take holidays from work. Some use it for vacations, I don't think there's anything wrong with using your holidays to earn a bit more cash.
    I don't know whether or not they were holidays or sick days. Either way I don't think it's right, especially in the current economic climate. If the income is undeclared then it's a revenue matter.

Advertisement