Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

ah yes, thats what I see, a very dominant bitch, surprised she hasn't peed on him lol. Do dogs have scenting glands? I know that huskies usually have a black mark on their tails, which is where there used to be a scent gland, but the gland itself isn't there anymore, just the mark remains, to remind them of their wild, wolf existence ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

muddypaws wrote: »
    A beetle dropped on the sofa last night, just missing my head, I went to bed very soon after. We have loads of beetles at the moment, as well as spiders everywhere. And my dogs are useless at keeping me safe.

I'm not fond of creepy crawlies: What to do if a bug crawls in your ear

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I'm not fond of creepy crawlies: What to do if a bug crawls in your ear

I am not clicking on that, I'm not, I'm not, I'm not :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

muddypaws wrote: »
    ah yes, thats what I see, a very dominant bitch, surprised she hasn't peed on him lol. Do dogs have scenting glands? I know that huskies usually have a black mark on their tails, which is where there used to be a scent gland, but the gland itself isn't there anymore, just the mark remains, to remind them of their wild, wolf existence

No I don't think they have scenting glands because they're not cats!! :p I'm sure I would have heard about it by this stage if they do. She plays with him until she gets tired and then plays with him at 50% capacity taking lots of breaks so sits or stops what she's doing and just stands there taking a breather! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Someone locally took in a cat they found wandering and put it on Facebook trying to find the owners or someone to take it as they can't keep her. The latest update is that they're putting her back out today. What the feck is wrong with people? All they'll be doing is confusing her and dumping her on the street. I've suggested a rescue to them but no response as yet. It's the same apartment complex as we found Poppy in.

I'm really hoping it's just a case of the cat having sneaked out of one of the apartments and not a case of the place becoming a dumping ground for cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Buntys been sick again the past few days, started sneezing on saturday and her eye started running on sunday, was away on holidays and didn't get home til tuesday and brought her to the vets that evening. Vet thinks it could be an infected tooth but since she was in good form and eating she just gave her antibiotics and was told to hold off on a dental for a week or two.

She would only eat chicken yesterday and today she's a bit off form and didn't eat anything. Poor thing is still sneezing and she has a discharge from one of her nostrils. I went and bought all sorts of meats and smelly foods to tempt her and not a pick until I sat down with my fish fingers dinner, she sat staring at me until I gave her some and the little fecker cleared two full fish fingers minus the breading that I had to pick off. So not only am I going hungry but my dinner went cold while I picked off all the breading and handfed her. At least I'm happy knowing she's eaten something. :rolleyes:

Ringing the vets first thing in the morning again to see what to do next. I'v a feeling a dental on monday morning, fingers crossed it's only a few teeth to be pulled and nothing more sinister as she did say her right lung sounded a little off. She's not long recovered from a uti a few weeks ago and her lung sounded a little off then too but she said it could just be scarring from flu she had as a kitten as she had no other respiratory problems at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Our old boy jake had really bad cat flu as a kitten and has scaring too, he gets bouts of snottiness, with sneezing and raspy breathing, shot of anti biotics, few tablets and he's fine in a week.
    He's very raspy too tonight, and sneezed a bit too, so looks like another vet visit.
    Grey fluffy kitten has gunky eyes, vet thinks it's just conjunctivitis rather than flu (she's not vacc'd as I can't afford it and she was supposed to be going to a new home, who were going to do it all, which has fallen through) so looks like I'll be paying for that too once this clears up.
    On the up side vet didn't charge me for the visit!
    Just €15 for cream and tablets to clear it up.

Bailey is 3 weeks post op today. There's one area of the park that I can't let him off lead for the time being because of the bushes - I haven't let him off there for nearly 2 months now for fear he could eat something that could do damage while his mouth was healing after the first biopsy, then the second and right up until now after the op.. Earlier on he was excited to see somebody (he was on lead by my side so wasn't going anywhere) she decided to hold him tightly by his collar with one hand on either side thinking she was Cesar Milan or something. I was terrified he'd try to pull free and basically get boxed in the side of the face....but so annoyed the words didn't come out! :mad: Kicking myself now for not saying something to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Had an awful evening. My parents are away for the week and my sister who just came home from oz is minding meg. Anyway she rang me in work saying she couldnt find meg and eventually found her in field in front of our house but she couldnt walk and there were loads of flys around her. She got her into the house and she said her breathing was very shallow and she wasnt sleeping just lying there. Told her to call vet and he said he thought she might have had heart attack and to bring her up. I was still in work now crying so my boss told me to take off.
    Poor meg wagged her tail when we were carrying her out to the car, she loves going to my house cos she is allowed on the couch! Crying all the way to the vets as are my sisters... he checked her heart and said it was weakened and she definatly had a heart attack, he then said he was going to shave under her tail because he was afraid fly had layed eggs and sure enough there were loads of them. Most disgusting thing ive seen. He said they would have hatched by morning and she would have fly strike.
    Good news is she is still with us and he said she should improve with medication but to not let her out on her own as she is still weak. Had her out on lawn when we got back to see if she would go to the toilet but she just went over to my car to try and go home with me! Would have brought her back with me but my moms house is much quieter. Even though she is 15 im not ready for her to go. I got her when i was 13 and she is the reason i love dogs.

nala2012 wrote: »
    Had an awful evening. My parents are away for the week and my sister who just came home from oz is minding meg. Anyway she rang me in work saying she couldnt find meg and eventually found her in field in front of our house but she couldnt walk and there were loads of flys around her. She got her into the house and she said her breathing was very shallow and she wasnt sleeping just lying there. Told her to call vet and he said he thought she might have had heart attack and to bring her up. I was still in work now crying so my boss told me to take off.
    Poor meg wagged her tail when we were carrying her out to the car, she loves going to my house cos she is allowed on the couch! Crying all the way to the vets as are my sisters... he checked her heart and said it was weakened and she definatly had a heart attack, he then said he was going to shave under her tail because he was afraid fly had layed eggs and sure enough there were loads of them. Most disgusting thing ive seen. He said they would have hatched by morning and she would have fly strike.
    Good news is she is still with us and he said she should improve with medication but to not let her out on her own as she is still weak. Had her out on lawn when we got back to see if she would go to the toilet but she just went over to my car to try and go home with me! Would have brought her back with me but my moms house is much quieter. Even though she is 15 im not ready for her to go. I got her when i was 13 and she is the reason i love dogs.

I am sorry. But thank goodness she was found, and got to the vet. I hope she recovers.

• Advertisement

Oh Nala that's awful, I'm so glad she was found.
    Hope she continues to improve, I have known a dog had a heart attack, and while he was weak after it, he lived a good couple of years on meds.

She had a full check up few months ago including bloods and everything was great so hopefully she will recover. Just want to wake up tomorrow and she's eating and up and about. Vet was great. I'm so gratefull we have a good vet, he so could've said to leave her till morning and see how she was especially when it was 8pm but he was waiting in clinic for us and only charged €70 including 2 types of medication. Another vet i know charges €80 for out of hours consult alone!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jeez nala, that's horrible, but where there's life, there's hope, and it sounds like you acted very quickly which has to have helped too.
    Bloody flies, they're disgusting :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Nala, hope he's okay, paws and fingers crossed here for you

Well, there's not going to be any walk this morning! Heavy rain and thunderstorms, both dogs and me say NO!

Tried to get them out for a wee this morning - not a hope of it:D

OMG poor Meg!!! You must have been terrified!! :(

I thought for a min this morning Lucy had some weird gut infection/disease after a bizarre looking poo....you know the type of thing you've never heard of until the vet tells you they have it and it's going to cost 1k to fix.... Then I remembered she'd been munching on their new favourite treat - watermelon!!!!! :pac:

Sadly poor meg died this morning. She had an anneurism (dont know how to spell it) and passed away at 8. My sister called me in the morning so i was with her when she went. We burried her in a field next to the sea. She loved the beach so much and was down there only 24 hours before.... cant stop crying and i think i have to work later :( rip meg wish i had another 15 years with you x

:(:(:( RIP Meg xx

RIP Meg, run free xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

So sorry to hear that nala:( rip Meg xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Rip Meg xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I'm so sorry Nala! :(<3

-

Does anyone ever feel like they got an interesting idea for a thread, but don't post it up because you feel like it'll end up causing massive arguments eventually? Lol.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I'm so sorry Nala. RIP Meg, run free at the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

RIP Meg. Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

RIP Meg x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

RIP Meg. And your poor parents away as well :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Nala, I am so sorry for your loss. Please take comfort from the thoughts of your fellow dog lovers.

Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

So sorry Nala - Run free Meg (she looks like my girl which makes me even sadder)

So sorry to hear that, RIP Meg. X

Arggghh anyone want a puppy!!!!!!!!

Woken at 7am even though hubby left them out at 6 when he went to work!

She's been uncivilised since! Dug up my herb box, destroyed a watering can nozzle. She was only out to do a wee!!

Poor Tara is being tormented as well!

Be glad when my son wakes up and we can get them out for a walk!!

• Advertisement

After running themselves stupid for the best part of an hour, they are now fast asleep (phew!!)

Elly was very gymnastic catching daddy long legs!

Total damage done this morning ( in the 10 mins they were outside alone)
    2 flower pots demolished
    Herb bed destroyed
    2 watering nozzles annihilated

Oh the joys of having a puppy:-P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement