Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alberto Del Rio

• 25-11-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

i have to say this guy is the best thing in wwe presently he has brillant gimmick, great on the mic and can work well also in the ring

his debut has been the best in a long time and i hope he will get world title reign soon

i love his feud with rey which might continue or if not a feud with edge or taker would also be good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Best thing on WWE TV right now and a nailed on future World Champ. He has the lot. He should win KOTR to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

flahavaj wrote: »
    Best thing on WWE TV right now and a nailed on future World Champ. He has the lot. He should win KOTR to start.

KOTR's back?Class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Its a Raw special on Monday next.

I like Del Rio. Has the entire package. I was really annoyed that they gave away the first match with Rey on SD though. Had all the elements needed for a great PPV match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Don't know if I'd say he's the "best" thing right now but he certainly has all the potential in the world to become a heavyweight champion in the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Saw him in a match at the 02 last March (I think) and thought he was awesome in the ring (no mic work that night). Very intense performer.

Has to be a KOTR finalist at the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Since Punk left SD he has been the best heel and mic worker there is

A KOTR final with Bryan would be great

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Since Punk left SD he has been the best heel and mic worker there is

A KOTR final with Bryan would be great

Oh that it would! And given a decent amount of time it could be an epic match and could show just how good Del Rio is in the ring!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea must say Del Rio is brilliant , He got so much heat so quickly when he arrived which is hard to do these days. I think wwe are playing on pushing him as a massive heel for ages and then turn him face to take over after Rey leaves for the hispanic sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yea must say Del Rio is brilliant , He got so much heat so quickly when he arrived which is hard to do these days. I think wwe are playing on pushing him as a massive heel for ages and then turn him face to take over after Rey leaves for the hispanic sector.

If they have any sense won't they just throw a ton of money at Mistico and hope he can fill the Rey void?

Del Rio is awesome though, one of the few reasons to watch SD these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I love it when he refers to Rey as a little chihuahua. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I love it when he refers to Rey as a little chihuahua. :pac:

You mean this :D:

smackdown_rey_mysterio_007_original_medium.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Del Rio is great. His gimmick is great, he looks the part, holds himself like a champion, and is being booked very well. All the attributes of a future world champion.

As Christian pointed out, he's the "mexican JBL" aka "Juan Bradshaw Layfield" :pac:

I haven't seen him wrestle in-ring enough to say just how good he is, but having not heard one bit of backlash he must be at least good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

He's very similar to MVP when he first debuted in a lot of ways imo:good gimmick,decent in the ring,great talker and is very over as an arrogant heel.

Hopefully WWE dont find a way to botch him as badly as they've botched MVP.

Hopefully WWE dont find a way to botch him as badly as they've botched MVP.

As long as he doesn't make a crack at the dr administering the wellness policy test he should be ok :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Rjd2 wrote: »
    If they have any sense won't they just throw a ton of money at Mistico and hope he can fill the Rey void?

replacing rey is going to be a bit a harder than just finding the next short mexican guy with a mask, mistico is very good but would just be seen as a rey rip off by most fans imo, wwe have tried the short masked wrestler thing before and it failed everytime with the like of aguila, juventud guerrera even ultimo dragon didn't get over in wwe to even a fraction of the extent of mysterio, they have two masked mexican guys now down in fcw, one is called mistico btw so it will be interesting to see how over they get if or when called up to the main roster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Don't know if I'd say he's the "best" thing right now but he certainly has all the potential in the world to become a heavyweight champion in the next year.
    Was about to say this TBH.

I guess in a way I feel he's stale because he's still feuding with Rey in that ****e rivalry. Whenever he moves on I'm sure I'll like him again.

He will be a champ some day.

Best thing about him is his announcer. Really like that guy in a way where he probably has a ****load of charisma but can only be Alberto's ring announcer.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    replacing rey is going to be a bit a harder than just finding the next short mexican guy with a mask, mistico is very good but would just be seen as a rey rip off by most fans imo, wwe have tried the short masked wrestler thing before and it failed everytime with the like of aguila, juventud guerrera even ultimo dragon didn't get over in wwe to even a fraction of the extent of mysterio, they have two masked mexican guys now down in fcw, one is called mistico btw so it will be interesting to see how over they get if or when called up to the main roster

True enough.

I wouldn't expect Mistico to start drawing instantly even a fraction of money that Rey does these days, but he does have a big profile in Mexico so at least in that neck of the woods they would have someone who is a draw for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

He's a very good wrestler!

Here he is against Crocop from a few years ago in Pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Love the guy, never thought he would take to the WWE so fast from Mexico. Boy was I wrong.

The quality is not great and the music choice won't be to everyone's taste but here's some clips of Alberto in action back in CMLL when he was known as Dos Caras Jr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

His name is Alberto Del Rio

But you

You already know that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

that german suplex at about 1:12 is immense

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry to bring up a old thread please close mods if need be but since his move to Raw, Del Rio seems to have been pushed firmly down the picking order and kinda lost since the draft. Truth seems to have over taken him as one of the top heels on Raw along with Punk.

Do you still think it will be his "destiny" this year to win a world title?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Do you still think it will be his "destiny" this year to win a world title?

I think he will win the Raw Money in the Bank ladder match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I can appreciate his in-ring abilities and I love Ricardo Rodriguez' role in his character but the whole 'My name is Alberto Del Rio, but you already knew that.' thing is really getting on my nerves

Voltwad wrote: »
    I can appreciate his in-ring abilities and I love Ricardo Rodriguez' role in his character but the whole 'My name is Alberto Del Rio, but you already knew that.' thing is really getting on my nerves

True, he has lost his shine since his move to Raw really.

I'd like them to bury Del Rio and push Masters instead.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Hes lost a bit of momentum. His gimmicks (the car, the ring announcer, etc) are stale already...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

I think he needs a new finisher, arm bar doesn't really scream main eventer to me, still expect him to take gold at summerslam though

jmolloy wrote: »
    I think he needs a new finisher, arm bar doesn't really scream main eventer to me, still expect him to take gold at summerslam though

It just needs to be driven home as a devastating manouvre. If the Cobra can get over and wins matches then so can a cross arm-breaker. He just needs to win every match with it; no escapes.

ADR's lost a lot of momentum since not winning at WrestleMania/moving to RAW. Been completely lost in the shuffle. That, and his promos are now kinda grating. He's installed his catchphrases (which are great) but he says absolutely nothing new, and nothing of substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It just needs to be driven home as a devastating manouvre. If the Cobra can get over and wins matches then so can a cross arm-breaker. He just needs to win every match with it; no escapes.

ok fair enough submission finishers can be brilliant if sold right(crossface for example) cobra works ok for a comedy act like santino so is sold for differently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I do not see him as being lost in the shuffle at all.

It seems people want new people pushed to be multiple title winners on arrival to the WWE. It was nice to see a newcomer win the Rumble, but the correct thing happened with him not winning the WWE title.

He needs a few mid card fueds before he can make the next step, and as Show and Kane are kind of "gate keepers" to the Main Event, he is positioned nicely at the moment.

If Del Rios push continued, would Truth be where he is now? How long did Truth have to wait for this push.

Unless your name is John Cena, or are a 3g wrestler, or a freak of nature like Brock, you have to bide your time, and earn your push. Alberto is doing this at the moment.

Advertisement