Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy Type-0

123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I must finish the first game before I get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Final fantasy 13 was a terrible terrible game and pretty much the majority agree. Will wait till this gets cheap.

I miss the days of good final fantasy games. FF9 was just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

joe123 wrote: »
    Final fantasy 13 was a terrible terrible game and pretty much the majority agree. Will wait till this gets cheap.

I miss the days of good final fantasy games. FF9 was just amazing.

so you're basing your opinion on this game based on a previous game which you thought was terrible yet every media outlet, every fan impression and every quote from the developer confirms that all the mistakes from ff13 were corrected in order to make this game pretty much an apology letter from SE to fans and restore confidence in SE's internal development teams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

That's just the thing though. Every media outlet is calling this an 'apology' for FFXIII, which isn't much of an endorsement in the first place. Looking at the features and at the demo, it doesn't seem to be doing much to set it apart from competition. Monster hunting and leveling has already been done much better in SMT. The mission-based gameplay isn't new either, nor is the time travel aspect. It seems like it's merely an ok JRPG, when Final Fantasy games generally strive for more than that. The only thing that really impresses is the battle system. But even with a few improvements, there isn't a whole lot to recommend it if you've played FFXIII.

I'll probably buy it, but not for a long while. I don't like the whole DLC layout for this game. Might wait for the super-de-duper version.

First off sorry if I seemed a bit aggressive, I thought you were just trolling but I was wrong.

Well I haven't played the game but from the demo I have to say it seems really fun. The side quests are a nice addition, there's puzzles too, recruiting monsters too seems pretty neat and most of all I like the light-hearted feel to it (check out the link I posted above). But I get where you're coming from. For me when I saw the demo section from Eurogamer impressions back from E3 and saw Noel walk around the time I got a really nice FF vibe out of it, almost like FF 12 but in HD.

Also I'm kind of a sucker for the Fabula Nova Crystalis lore (for which I criticise the original since it didn't really explain it well) and when I saw that this game focuses fully on Etro I was really happy. Lastly Caius Ballad is probably the first decent villain we get since Seymour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yeah, Fang was awesome. I got the impression she never believed they could save Cocoon and was trying to prevent Vanille going Cie'th instead.
    There's a bit too much lore hidden in the datalog which could have been used for a few sidequests on Gran Pulse. Speaking of which, I understood why there were no shops or NPCs on Cocoon but they really should have done something with Gran Pulse.
    I'm somewhat annoyed Lightning is only playable in the game's intro. Hopefully they'll release some good DLC but she should feature more in the main game.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

EDGE review isn't as scathing as the one for FFXIII but they cite the lack of challenge as a major downfall. Think I'll be giving this one a miss too so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should never base buying decisions on an EDGE review. They can often times be too harsh or totally off the mark.

For a JRPG review I'd much rather go with Jermey Parish at 1up:

http://www.1up.com/reviews/final-fantasy-xiii-2-ps3-xbox360

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You should never base buying decisions on an EDGE review. They can often times be too harsh or totally off the mark.
    Know what you mean. I don't usually buy anything until I've read a few reviews.

I often find it's the highlighted elements of a game that sway me more than the overall feel of a review and if I pick up on something that I dont like (such as the lack of challenge) then I'll steer clear.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For a JRPG review I'd much rather go with Jermey Parish at 1up:

http://www.1up.com/reviews/final-fantasy-xiii-2-ps3-xbox360
    Cheers for the tip. Only occassionaly browse 1up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

I'd be wary about criticisms on challange.

A lot of people told me they though XIII combat was boring and unchallenging but then I found out that they never deviated from the heal attack paradigms.
    The challenge for me in XII wasn't defeating enemies but defeating them quickly. I thought giving you a rating at the end of each battle made that obvious but I guess not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

EDGE's review for FFXIII was perfectly reasonable if you ask me. Seems like most just focus on the number at the end. There's a huge problem with the first 20 hours of the game which just can't be ignored and even when you get to the end-game content all you have to look forward to are samey hunt missions that mostly take place in the same area. At least FFXII managed a fairly successful marriage of exploration and monster killing. XIII was a grind in comparison.

edit: regarding XIII, I thought most publications said it was a really hard game? I found it to be anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So how are ye finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Anyone got it? Im holding off til I can pick it up cheap. Never thought id be saying that about a Final fantasy game.

Most reviews are saying the story is ****e which is nothing new really. Final Fantasy 10 was the last one that I thought was decent. The battle system for 13 is its biggest plus in most reviews so its a pity I didnt even like that battle system in it. Found it very basic (and yes I played around with it a hell of a lot)

I really hope the next true Final Fantasy game is good. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Bought this on sunday but was skeptical to say the least as i played 13 before and stopped half way through as was very bored of it.

After afew hours of game play its got me surprisingly hooked in, I thought serah would wreck my head but so far noel and serah are going well. Definetely feel with SE have addressed some of the issues from 13 and so far so good.

I bought this in game who gave me a voucher to trade this in for 45e before the 16/02/2012 so means i can trial it for over a week and if not into it can return and grab fifa 12 2nd hand for free.. not bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Changing the thread title so it's just Type-0 talk, all FFXIII-2 talk in the appropriate thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, does anyone reckon it could make it over here? I've seen a view videos and it does look interesting at the very least.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Sony Japan is holding a vita conference on the 9th. We could very well see an enhanced Vita version of Type-0. If we do, then it's deffinatelly coming out in the west

I'd prefer not to have to buy a Vita but according to IGN it might make it over here.

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/121/1213623p1.html

H. H. Asquith

Mario007 wrote: »
    Sony Japan is holding a vita conference on the 9th. We could very well see an enhanced Vita version of Type-0. If we do, then it's deffinatelly coming out in the west

Eh game is already Vita enhanced as far as I know.

every psp game available on vita psn store is 'vita enhanced'...it had crispier graphics thanks to the software emulation and the second stick is available to be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

A Type-0 port for Vita would be the final nail in the coffin for me getting one.

I guess that means Square won't port it to the PSP then if it's Vita Enhanced.

H. H. Asquith

Play.com apparently leaked 4 new vita games: Monster Hunter Portable 3, GTA Vice City Nights, Tales of Innocence R (localisation of the title) and Type-0 HD. Eurogamer and all other big gaming websites are all carrying the news. Mind you this is only 2 days before Sony's web broadcast on Vita

Advertisement