Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft rifles for sale on Capel Street, Dublin

• 24-04-2008 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen it myself (not in that area much) but a friend of mine just sent me a photo of airsoft rifles on sale in a Polski Sklep on Capel Street, Dublin. Near the bridge, I believe. If anyone is in the area, can they confirm that, and if they are true AEGs or springers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Probably the usual overpriced junk to be honest. I wouldn't expect much more

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

I was talking to a Polish friend and he says that airsoft gear in Poland is a lot cheaper. I'm thinking that if it's a Polish shop then they might be importing the stuff from Poland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Must be about 10,000 Polski Skleps in Ireland now, be more original polish people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

dont people working in them refuse to server non polish people, ive heard such anyway

Lads, please keep any polish/poland stereotype or rumours/hearsay out of this thread, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Considering all airsoft guns come from hk or japan anyway, I cant imagine polish airsoft is cheaper.

Feck it, we have it cheap enough anyway with clones, what do people want?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

They're probably just crappy spring yolks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Was walking by a shop near Christ cathedral(sorry i'm not that good with the auld names) and i saw a g36c being placed on the front window, not sure if it was a AEG or springer. Also no idea of the name of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was walking by a shop near Christ cathedral(sorry i'm not that good with the auld names) and i saw a g36c being placed on the front window, not sure if it was a AEG or springer. Also no idea of the name of the shop.

Do you mean Christ Church? I'm up there every day, where abouts was it? Wouldn't mind checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

I'm wondering if seeing AEGs everywhere isn't just some sort of symptom of rabid obsession to a sport ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

i'm more worried that its encouraging fools (scumbags) to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

o1s1n wrote: »
    Do you mean Christ Church? I'm up there every day, where abouts was it? Wouldn't mind checking it out.

Sorry yeah Christ church. Eh now i'll only be able to give you the general area, i'll point it out to you on some form of map, you'll have to wait till this evening though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

horgan_p wrote: »
    i'm more worried that its encouraging fools (scumbags) to buy them.

While I do share your concerns to a degree I don't think that just because a shop is in what some people may view as a dodgy area it means that it's going encourage scumbags to go out robbing grannies with airsoft rifles. Nearly all of the walk in airsoft shops in Dublin are in what snobbier observers might describe as less than salubrious areas i.e. Blanch, Bray, Cabra. I've not seen the shop in question, but I'd be less concerned about where it is than I would be about who is running it and whether their motivation is to make a quick buck off the legalisation of airsoft or whether they are genuinely interested in supplying decent airsoft equipment.

I would point out though that, in my opinion, the airsoft market in Dublin is already well supplied with retailers, and I would be quite skeptical of any new retailer opening who wasn't planning to bring something significantly new and different to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

and i find the use of scumbags etc very snobby, how do you fine define one as such?

fair enough if you mean someone who is going to use the item for mis use, but hopefully not just because of location of birth etc or manner in which you speak.

i noticed eirsoft in cabra is located in a housing estate similar to which i used to hang around in, not everyone from these places is "scummers"

id be weiry of going to skirmishes and getting dirty looks because of the way i talk or because of what im wearing...

then again could work as a positive, might be afraid to shoot me incase if knock your block off

p.s i wouldnt :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

I dont think people are referring to place of birth/area you live, its more the type of person who thinks there part of the mafia because they act like a thug and think there well 'ard, and itimidate people just because they walk past.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

just a difference of thought then, cause i dont classify them as scumabgs, or even hard

hard ones are the ones that stay quiet usually, or in this threads topic, alot of polish blokes :)

might pop in some time see what they have for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

It is cheaper to buy airsoft in Poland. However its all in relation to the economy. We earn more, we pay more. Their shops have different prices. One for their own people & a higher one for exports. Taxes are different. Same as Spain & France.

Mind you some of my Polish neighbours are big into airsoft, its a huge hobby over there. They don't yet have a cap on the power limit. Fair play to the Poles. As long as they don't import over powered airsoft, wouldn't mind having a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think it's actually called Mini Store? Anyway, yeah, they've got a couple of CYMA rifles, although I can't for the life of me remember which ones, and a couple of pistols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭little buda

cheapo springers,also mini aegs+ plastic aegs.(sorry for bad pics, taken on phone)
    when i asked what joule they were??? aaaaaaaa....i dont know. was the answer i got. so i think there just in it to make a quick buck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i highly doubt the pistols are over 1 joule anyway, not sure about the cyma mp5 or the others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

its the usual stuff you see in all the back stores,
    the more accessories it comes with the more you need to stay away,
    if their charging over 20 quid for the mp5 then its a rip-off, and snipersight will testify to that, he got one for free in a special offer with another gun(that one was good quality) and the handguard fell off, the battery just stopped working, scope rail cracked, extendable stock wont stay locked, the power is such that you can fire and put your hand out to catch the fired bb(it didnt even register power on a chrono it was so weak),
    and the piece de resistance-the red dot, its actually a hinderance becasue its so bright and has no settings, its like a flash light shinning in your eye,

from that experience i wouldnt touch any of those guns, especially when i keep seeing the same ones, all being priced ridiculously high

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

The Cyma mp5 is an ok model. Free models tend to be free because the sender knows they are damaged.
    Purchased one of these several years ago. Its rated at 0.5 joules. Has a decent rate of fire. It's range is crap, about 30-40 feet using 0.12g bb's. It won't except 0.20g bb's, they stick in the breech. If you want a really cheap option for cqb it would be ok. 2 of these would deny an area. It's light enough to carry 2. It weighs 1.3 kg fully loaded with a high capacity 240 rd mag.
    Normal price for these tend to be in the 35-50 euro range. Its not easily upgraded, but can be with a little work. These tend to be used as kids toys. Its a popular model in Poland. Favoured as a holdout.
    I'm not sure why, possibly the high rate of fire.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Saw some today in a shop in the square tallaght. Funniest thing was that my cameraphone flashed when i took the pic, and when i went onto the next shop i was getting something in, a rather large gentleman approached me to ask if i was taking pictures of him :eek:

30042008010kf7.jpg

is the shop in the spuare called gadgets n gizmo's by any chance??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

is the shop in the spuare called gadgets n gizmo's by any chance??

Thats the one

yea, we've known about the place in the square for a while now, cheap stuff at over inflated prices to be honest, the're closing down soon anyway.

i bought a m9 gbb (bell i think)off them over a month ago in there so called "last day,closeing down sale" had mag problems, any very slow recoil but its complety metal do for €120

apparently this place was just mentioned on radio 1, tuned in just in time to hear the presenter say goodbye to the person that rang in about it, anyone catch it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

kdouglas wrote: »
    apparently this place was just mentioned on radio 1, tuned in just in time to hear the presenter say goodbye to the person that rang in about it, anyone catch it?

Joe duffy kicking off about airsoft again!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement