Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hector Breakfast Show on RTE 2FM

• 29-09-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

So will anyone actually be listening to him when he starts the new breakfast show on Monday next?
    I appreciate that some people found the show he did with Tommy Tiernan very funny, but I for one will be switching to Ian Dempsey.
    I heard Hector being interviewed this afternoon and the Galway studios are being revamped - lino being pulled up and carpet being laid!
    The whole schedule for 2FM next Monday (i.e. Hector, Ryan T, Colm H, Larry G, etc) is being broadcast from Galway to launch the show.
    Is it a whole load of hype over nothing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Personally I loathe Hector but I can understand why he was chosen. He's got tons of energy and would be an ideal person to wake people up and make them alert with that bloody voice of his.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

That_Guy wrote: »
    and would be an ideal person to wake people up and make them alert with that bloody voice of his.

....or make them turn over to another station.
    Can't stand him personally either.
    The whole paddywhackery shyte he does is grating.
    He'll fizzle out quite quickly. I'll not be listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I thought I might like Pat Courtenay's new breakfast show on Nova because of everything I heard about him... the legend he's supposed to be etc. etc. ... I was wrong, however, as I found out when I listened to a bit of it.

I wasn't totally sure about Aidan and Claire coming to 98FM to present the Morning Crew there.. but it turns out they're doing a grand job - fair play to them.. I didn't think I'd enjoy the Strawberry Alarm Clock much, now that "Jim-Jim" is back on it... again, I was wrong - it's not bad at all.

So... difficult and all as it may be, I'm going to have to completely give this Hector the benefit of the doubt until I actually hear him present breakfast on 2FM. I hope it'll be good - hope it surprises everyone.

I know his producer - a very clever and creative guy - so with that in mind, and despite my slight reservations about Hector being the right man for the job, I think it actually has potential and I'm more optimistic than pessimistic about the show overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Bard wrote: »
    I thought I might like Pat Courtenay's new breakfast show on Nova because of everything I heard about him... the legend he's supposed to be etc. etc. ... I was wrong, however, as I found out when I listened to a bit of it.

I wasn't totally sure about Aidan and Claire coming to 98FM to present the Morning Crew there.. but it turns out they're doing a grand job - fair play to them.. I didn't think I'd enjoy the Strawberry Alarm Clock much, now that "Jim-Jim" is back on it... again, I was wrong - it's not bad at all.

So... difficult and all as it may be, I'm going to have to completely give this Hector the benefit of the doubt until I actually hear him present breakfast on 2FM. I hope it'll be good - hope it surprises everyone.

I know his producer - a very clever and creative guy - so with that in mind, and despite my slight reservations about Hector being the right man for the job, I think it actually has potential and I'm more optimistic than pessimistic about the show overall.

I agree totally with you... There is a lot riding on this for 2fm. He deserves a fair go... I'm not sure I could tolerate him early morning, but I'll wait and see. Not sure I could take him seriously when reviewing papers, politics or whatever he talks about though.. He can be funny, if he just doesn't over exaggerate his accent as he tends to do with Tommy T... I can't see him lasting the early shifts long term though... Who is he going to bounce off in the morning??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I wont be listening anyway..............
    "hawrse racin lads", "havin da craic",
    and shouting the names of small towns and villages around ireland.
    Surely they could have done better than this clown ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This show may take a more closer form to his and Tommy's original iRadio shows seeing as he brought i105-107's programming director, Alan Swan, with him to Galway as his producer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

I wish Tommy Tiernan had taken this instead of Hector. Can't stand the clown, nothing but an unfunny eejit! Supposed to be a bit of a dickhead in person too from anyone I know that's met him. I'll be listening to anything but him every morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knutsack

It's really really terrible. And as for this clever, hotshot producer of his :confused:

Everything about it stinks - the features, competitions, the links - are a complete embarrassment.

If that Hector character was carrying on like that beside you and your mates in a pub, you'd either get your coat and go or contemplate extreme physical violence towards him.

When 2 FM falls silent, as it surely must sooner or later and the frequencies are sold, the sorry tale of the post Ian Dempsey Breakfast era wil be one of the main factors leading to it's closure.

It's a tale of disasterous management, big ego/no talent presenters and hopeless production.

This Hector Show is the tin hat on the whole stinking mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shabba man

I find it difficult to believe that this is the breakfast show on a national radio station. I think it sounds like a bad commmunity radio station show, completely designed to appeal to the bog element. Everything about it is cringing, 'road of the day', wow, what genius came up with that? Hector himself is difficult to listen to, he has a stop/start type voice, there is no flow to what he says. It's truely embarrassing to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

Sad really, considering the great talent we have in this country. My view is RTE are afraid to give any younger presenters a chance. I mean it's considered the top of the ladder and I think RTE feel...he/she is only 25 too immature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

I try and look at the positives with most shows, but it's hard to find with this breakfast show.

Everything is delivered in this hyper ' having the craic heeey, we're all as mad a badgers' tone. Nearly every link has some reference to ' a lovely little road' or a 'driving trucks & tractors up and down this little country heeeey'

Hector is not a radio person. He does not have the skills to drive a show and is very ignorant to the different classes
    of listeners across the nation. It's rough & culchie and i can see why people say it's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,911 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I found him ok when he first appeared on the scene, now he's just annoying.

Won't be listening either.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 craggle

i listen to will leahy on the way home from work but i have to remember to change the radio from 2fm in the evening. if i hear hector screeching in the morning it puts me in bad form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

JAYSUS BAI GUESS WHAT CAR ENGINE THIS IS!!! (plays loud irritating clip 6 times). H'UP YA BOY YA NOW ITS TIME FOR WHICH ROOOAAD IN IRELAND HAS THE DEADLIEST NAME! (shít re-hashed jingle used for the past 5 years).

please kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,911 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"Put your sh1t town/village on the map".

No Hector, don't. Reason no-one has never heard of the place is cos its a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Coll79

Not sure why but I turned it on around 8.50 this morning. I'm not sh*tting you, there's a segment called "Cranky Car" where the Ginger Adonis gets the crankiest mothers, fathers, or workers in Ireland to call in and say why they're cranky lol!

If this absolute clusterfu*k of a show couldn't get any worse, the jingle to the segment is of "Gangnam Style" but changed to Cranky Car of course. Thank god i didn't hear that first thing Monday morning I would've wrote off the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Is Hector a standup comedian? I was just reading a list online of the top ten unfunniest comedians in the world, and he's n.o 2. The only other Irish rep was Tommy Tiernan at 9. Does Hector actually do standup though?

Advertisement