Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat 06 - Any advice appreciated?

• 28-07-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

I have a passat 2006 that has been causing my problems for the best part of a month. Basically i put in the key and starts up and then cuts out. Now this is not regular, i could go 2/3 days grand no probs then next mornning wont start and will usually take 5/6 goes to eventually get her going. Now ive taken to a VW dealer who checked her out last week did the computer tests etc and said my problem was fuel pump relay, which they duly replaced and cost me € 250.
    Guess what happened next morning same thing again car wont start same problem as before, so i paid them 250 for nothing. now they have it in again and say it might be the immobilizer
    Now im not a car expert, but why couldnt they have told me that the first time they checked or could they not see that?? they tell me im looking at over € 1000 now if it is, christ i am depressed. Am i being taken for a sucker by the dealer you think or have they being right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Well for a start, they owe you €250.
    Secondly, thier mis diagnosis has cost you your car to be out of action for 2 days. (Or however long)
    Ask them how they can guarentee that they have fixed the problem, and what the problem was exactly.
    Are they a miain dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 liver09

My thoughts exactly, ive paid 250 to fix a problem..problem not fixed surely they should credit this against what the real problem is!! maybe a mechanic might tell me is it possible to diaognise all problems first time round?
    They are a vw main dealer in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Zonda999

liver09 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly, ive paid 250 to fix a problem..problem not fixed surely they should credit this against what the real problem is!!

Absolutely, they should do that. You told them about the problem and it was assumed that the problem would be fixed in exchange for 250€. The problem still persists so you're certainly entitled for that money back or in exchange for the problem to be fixed fully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Sounds very similar to a mates Passat, plagued with random electrical issues that left him stranded more than once. His solution was getting rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

Sounds like faulty steering column which is common enough for that era of passat. I know a fella who had to get it done and it cost circa €1,100.00. I hope it doesn't happen to mine (Touch wood).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Sounds like a simular problem that I had with a 06 Passat, Check out the tread that helped me out with getting a solution to the problem

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055611762&highlight=dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 23 liver09

Moanin wrote: »
    Sounds like faulty steering column which is common enough for that era of passat. I know a fella who had to get it done and it cost circa €1,100.00. I hope it doesn't happen to mine (Touch wood).

You were bang on..just got a call from dealer..fault in steering column linked to immobiliser. Said part is € 1000 but is seeing can he get it covered under warranty, that will depend on how they view it as Car warranty is up by 1 year. Fingers crossed!!! its money i could well do without having to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

liver09 wrote: »
    You were bang on..just got a call from dealer..fault in steering column linked to immobiliser. Said part is € 1000 but is seeing can he get it covered under warranty, that will depend on how they view it as Car warranty is up by 1 year. Fingers crossed!!! its money i could well do without having to pay

Hopefully you won't have to pay. Has the car a full main dealer service history?
    I don't inderstand why VW do not recall these models. It's probably because it would cost them a fortune!

Advertisement