Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geneaology course UCC?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Oh it's news to me that there is a course on genealogy in Cork!

It looks quite comprehensive, though I'd question the need to go into a couple of those topics for beginners.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Interesting looking course. Have to wonder why the history parts of the first three sections are included unless it's to explain about the Milesian descent myth, annals genealogies etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This looks slightly similar to the UCD course?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    This looks slightly similar to the UCD course?

Not really - it's only a one term thing, whereas UCD's course is 6 10 week modules over 3 years. The first term of UCD's course wouldn't cover everything on that list in detail because it's the beginner's class.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Thanks for the replies

I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth my while doing it as I'm doing my own family tree or if I've enough with what I can find on line.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mrkdips

Hi there
    I did this course last quarter of 2011 and found it really interesting. Like some of the posts I did wonder about the need to go into the history but after a few weeks it began to show that knowing what was happening in ireland or the relevant county really helps to understand the data you are researching. Well worth doing -Tony McCarthy is the lecturer and is a well known genealogist and has written many books - he was the original founder of Irish Roots Magazine.

Definitely worth a try out - I still refer to the notes

• Registered Users Posts: 22 davidjcie

I also completed the course. I thought it very ggod and well worth while. Tony McCarthy is a very good lecturer and knows his subject.

Advertisement