Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Heater- recommendations

• 25-11-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Living in an apartment with storage heaters which are a complete disaster, no need to go over old ground there- I think the storage heater issue has been discussed plenty of times here. Would anyone recommend a small electric heater to heat a fairly big living room in an apartment?

Which should I go for? Convection/oil filled? I know nothing about input/output.

Appreciate if anyone would recommend one they've bought or can pass on any advice they might have!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 iomo

Most of the electric heaters have 1500 Watts and thus the heating output (BTUs) are fairly similar. I'd say there is no big difference in generated heat between an oil-filled radiator and a ceramic or infrared heater.
    On the other hand oil-filled heaters are much safer because there is no exposed heating element and neither gets hot enough to cause burning wounds unlike infrared or ceramic ones which can get really hot (some contain protective casing tho, like EdenPURE).
    So anything you choose make sure it is safe to use even in an unattended room.
    As for myself, I was deciding between DeLonghi TRD 0715T a.k.a Dragon Model review and EdenPURE Gen3 review. Bought the DeLonghi one because of the better price and programmable timer, can set the radiator to start heating the room an hour before I arrive from work. :)
    And I don't really believe in the EdenPURE's air purification function. Maybe it worths it, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Thanks Iomo, was looking at a few over the weekend. Think I will go with an oil filled over a convection as I've been told the convection heaters eat electricity, even though the oiled filled take longer to heat the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rehab1000

Hi Guys,

Living in an apartment with storage heaters which are a complete disaster, no need to go over old ground there- I think the storage heater issue has been discussed plenty of times here. Would anyone recommend a small electric heater to heat a fairly big living room in an apartment?

Which should I go for? Convection/oil filled? I know nothing about input/output.

Appreciate if anyone would recommend one they've bought or can pass on any advice they might have!

Thanks!

I'm looking at rointe heaters. Haven't got one buy reports are good. Check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would suggest a convection heater with fan assist, my sisters place has one and its highly effective at providing a swift solid background heat.

http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/vortice/electric-convectors-59723-234150.html7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

What are convection heaters like on electricity? Say you had it on for a few hours each evening to heat a main room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Convector heaters are usually 2KW, so 2 units per hour while heating from cold.
    You're in a apt. with storage heating, so you're paying almost 20cents per unit for day units. So about 40c per hour until the room warms up and the thermostat starts clicking on and off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Remember too that you are trying to heat the air, not to radiate heat to surfaces.

Radiant heaters will tend to heat whatever's directly in the beam of IR rays coming out of the heater itself. So, you will feel very warm if it's pointing at you, and not at all warm if it's not. They don't necessarily heat the air very effectively at all.

An oil-filled radiator will heat the air mostly by warming air close to the radiator itself and convecting it upwards.

A convector heater is similarly good at heating air.

All in all, I would go with either one of those two types. The heat output should be quite similar and the cost of running should be too as there's nothing magic about the technology, they're just a resistance heating something and the energy that goes in has to come out somewhere, none of it mysteriously disappears.

Radiant heaters however can lose heat by just heating the wall opposite them or solid surfaces near by rather than the air.

Oil radiators are generally much safer too due to lower surface temperatures as described above.

That being said, don't cover an oil radiator or put it near curtains or other flammable objects. They run a LOT hotter than a water filled central heating radiator!

Advertisement