Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did they get rid of the glass milk bottles that the milkman delivered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

coyle wrote: »
    the weird and wonderful things you could get from them; cream, orange juice, milk, yoghurt, eggs (wtf!)
    We had a separate egg delivery man.
    Splendour wrote: »
    I hated when people put out yogurt cartons to cover their bottles; it totally slowed us down! Didn't mind a one piece thing but them bloomin' individual things drove me crazy!
    Another thing I hated was when people didn't wash their bottles 'cos we had to put our fingers in 'em to pick them up-ugh!
    We put the lids out but we did clean all the bottles. A good few rinses not put in the dishwasher like Hayacith Bucket!
    grenache wrote: »
    We got our milk straight from the bulk tank! Fresh from the cows tits!
    Thats a terrible way to talk about your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

We got eggs from an egg man as well. He use to deliver a cheep version of the TV guide with them It was always wrong.

The birds in my estate now chew through the fcekin cartons. Jesus they are resourceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I remember in primary school and for a bit in secondary getting the crates of milk bottles delivered in the morning for 11 o'clock break, there was also orange junce delivered. Mmmmm ice cold milk in the morning yummy.
    I think they stopped the bottles because of the amount of caustic soda used in sterilising the bottles, it was really bad for the enviornment and then it became cheaper to produce cartons which also required an awful lot less work on the part of the Dairy... CMP milk in glass bottles FTW...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Does anyone remember a brief fad in the 70s for milk delivered in plastic bags that you put in a special jug?
    You can buy milk in bags here in the UK, reduces waste. Also milk is sold in bags quite a lot in the US and Canada.

I can still buy milk and orange juice in milk bottles here in the shops and regularly buy the OJ. I'm sure I've seen milk bottles in some shops when I've gone home to Ireland.

Don't ever remember milk bottles from the milk man though just the tetra paks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Having withdrawl symthoms from no longer getting a milk bottle?
    Tempoary help is available LOL
    See: http://www.knottingley.org/letters/milkbottle_museum.htm

...and it had to happen sooner or later.
    Milk in a bag - as mentioned above!
    See: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-512190/End-milk-bottle-Supermarket-begins-selling-milk-BAG.html

Apparently in the states, they make a big thing out of still giving you your daily stuff within glass.
    For example: http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Dairies-Glass-Bottles-Milk.htm

They also produce an eye opening link as to why plasic might not be good!
    Link: http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Plasticizers/Out-Of-Diet-PG5nov03.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Because of Aphex Twin "I would like some milk from the milkman's wife's t*ts.."
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

I blame the EU rabble rabble rabble rabble,

No to lisbon - bring back our glass bottles!

Those damn Swedes, inventing tetra pak and criticising our blasphemy laws,

Those damn milkmen roiding our wimmins

Those damn birds, pecking though our lids

That Damn Mary Harney, drinking all our cream

Bring Back DeValera

Rabble rabble rabble rabble

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Long Onion wrote: »
    Bring Back DeValera

Rabble rabble rabble rabble

LOL Stuff Dev, Bring back Michael Collins!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I was astounded to find that in the UK they still have milk men that deliver milk to your door. I couldn't believe it!
    Novella wrote: »
    What?! In the UK?! Still?!
    I have a milkman who delivers milk to my door! :)

Actually, not only are there milkmen delivering to your door, they still deliver in glass bottles over here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

As kids we had milk delivered on horse & cart. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

The glass bottles had UHT milk, but nobody likes that because it's sh1te. :pac:

Maybe in backwards land or something.

Ours was delivered in glass bottles, direct from the dairy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i miss them, when you got the christmassy tops on them in december, or when you came down and you could see that birds had been picking at the lids, awww

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Actually, not only are there milkmen delivering to your door, they still deliver in glass bottles over here!

The big problem that I had in the UK, years ago, was living on the fourth floor of a Victorian building, and being too lazy to put the empties out each day, then having to suffer the wrath of the folks in the dairy shop when about 100 milk bottles got dumped on their counter every few weeks.:eek:

I remember getting milk in bottles from Athboy when we lived in Ballyfermot, would have been until around 1992/93. My parents still have the Millennium '88 and Italia '90 bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Milk men still do exist.

Yes, they were gotten rid of like 24 years ago.

I have a italia 90 commemorative bottle and a millennium one too.
    we have one of the italia 90 bottles in the glass case ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Arthur Peanut

I found a milk bottle, It says M.B.L. on it, your common or garden milk bottle, it has letters and numbers stamped on the bottom. Anyone know what they mean?

The numbers and letters are:

IGB

1312 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Got Milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

It means you brought back a two year old thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Novella wrote: »
    My milk has always been delivered in cartons :confused:

How long ago was this?!

When 'always' doesn't include when you were young, that's when you know you're getting old :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

was the primary motivation to ban the glass milk bottle.

Milk producers never wanted to move from the glass bottle because of customer resistance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The-Rigger wrote: »
    They love those foil tops!
    What did they do with them?
    They cleaned them up, flattened them out and put them onto a giant parobola so they could focus sunlight onto wilderbeast and rebel militia, a primitive but effective death beam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone else remember the cream at the top being so thick that the milk wouldn't come out until you got a spoon at the cream. And there there'd be blobs of it on your breakfast.

The MBL I believe stood for Milk Bottlers Limited.
    Anyone else remember the cream at the top being so thick that the milk wouldn't come out until you got a spoon at the cream. And there there'd be blobs of it on your breakfast.
    Yep, this was because the milk was unhomogenised. Nowadays, milk goes through a homogenisation process which disperses the cream within the milk rather than letting it build up on top.

The Athboy milk I mentioned in my previous post, when it moved to carton form, boasted that it was the only unhomogenised milk available, this would have been mid 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Definitely tasted better from glass and the satisfying press of the foil caps - fresh and cold!

Ah those were the days...

/skims iPad - hmm actually, I'll take modern luxuries over bottles :)

I wonder why milkmen were needed in the 80’s though? Was it cheaper in bulk or that it came from the dairy without shop middleman? Feckin' birds though - always getting stuck into the cream top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

now these I do remember : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57113880

Milk did taste a lot better from bottles than cartons

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WWC1

One of our more "interesting" neighbours used to steal the glass milk bottles from ours and other doorsteps. She'd appear not long after the milkman had put putt'd away in his truck and off she'd go at high speed with the stolen bottle clink clinking under her arm

We nicknamed her Dawn Run :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Could be this reason

probably not though;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Why did they get rid of the glass milk bottles that the milkman delivered?

Because the scangers used to smash them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

My nanny told me that the birds would peck the tops. I'd say its cheaper to produce the cardboard container so thats why.

Also I think the milk tasted nicer from the bottles because back then the farmers didnt add water to the milk;)

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    My nanny told me that the birds would peck the tops. I'd say its cheaper to produce the cardboard container so thats why.

They certainly did, I remember my mother complaining about the "fecking birds." I looked it up once before, apparently there's a creamery in the west who still make unhomogenised milk. I think it's only available locally but I'd be curious to see if it's the same as I remember it.

God I'm only 26 and I sound like I'm 56! :eek:

Advertisement