Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable to connect laptop to TV

• 27-02-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I am looking to connect my laptop to my TV but am having trouble finding the right cable (at the right price).

My laptop has both a VGA and a HDMI port (as does the TV) - however, what I'm not sure about is whether I also need to buy a cable in order to transmit the sound from the laptop to my TV speakers?

I had a quick look on Elara to get a standard VGA cable but can't seem to find one. They do have this HDMI - DVI cable, although I would need to buy an adapter with this as well. Could anyone let me know if I would need an audio cable with this also?

Thanks & much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭airbus125

Hi,
    If u buy an HDMI cable it will transfer both sound and picture to your tv. A VGA cable will only transfer picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Definitely HDMI, the analog VGA video quality is inferior to the digital HDMI signal.

komplett.ie is selling HDMI cables from €11.99 (incl. VAT and delivery)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Excellent. Thanks a million lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Some €2 shops stock HDMI Cable for.....
    €2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Ya HDMI, do not buy one of those stupid expensive cables... the prices some of them go to is absolute madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

I get mine online, on ebay or similar. If you go into a shop here looking for a 5 metre cable you should consider bringing the IMF along with you. For some reason they have a fairly hefty price on them

j

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Power city sell the 2 mtr cable for roughly a fiver, and 3 mtr for €12, bought the shorter version and fairly sturdy connections, can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

Hi folks,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I am looking to connect my laptop to my TV but am having trouble finding the right cable (at the right price).

My laptop has both a VGA and a HDMI port (as does the TV) - however, what I'm not sure about is whether I also need to buy a cable in order to transmit the sound from the laptop to my TV speakers?

I had a quick look on Elara to get a standard VGA cable but can't seem to find one. They do have this HDMI - DVI cable, although I would need to buy an adapter with this as well. Could anyone let me know if I would need an audio cable with this also?

Thanks & much appreciated.

I'm in a similar situation but my laptop only has VGA and 3 usb ports. Is it possible to get a USB to HDMI adapter?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Moanin wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation but my laptop only has VGA and 3 usb ports. Is it possible to get a USB to HDMI adapter?

Thanks
    You can get a VGA cable with a audio headphone jack. I got one for a fiver on ebay.
    Just check that the jack will reach your headphone ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Moanin wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a USB to HDMI adapter?

You can get a USB graphics adapter with HDMI or DV-I out. However, these are not very powerful GPUs, OK to watch a movie but not for gaming.

Elara have some in stock, i.e. this one for €80 (incl. delivery)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Buy vga to vga ,male both ends, ten euro approx, ,peats ,maplins pcworld.
    TRY resolution 1024x768, refresh rate 60mhz, graphics settings , advanced , right click desktop,to acess grahics card settings,, works fine for me, youtube, dvds etc
    i see no point in getting a usb to hdmi unit.
    some hardware bargain, shops sell 2meter hdmi 5 euro.
    if using vga u can use 3.5 to 3.5mm audio cable, or 3.5mm to rca audio
    depends on your tv connectors, for sound,use audio lineout or headphone audio out from the laptop.
    I get a great picture using vga on my tv..
    For fastalkerchat just use vga out.You may need to go to tv menu,audio in,volume to set volume from rca or 3.5mm connector.

Advertisement