Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Good interview, I'd like to hear Kendrick over some Neptunes production :)

Just being listening to this track;

He really has got some future ahead of him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

horsebox09 wrote: »
    Good interview, I'd like to hear Kendrick over some Neptunes production :)

Just being listening to this track;

He really has got some future ahead of him

great song from a class mixtape that is.

ye he really does, my only fear is that maybe he has set the bar too high with his mixtapes and section 80 that the album might disappoint somewhat similar to j.cole, who's work pier to his album is better than most other modern day rappers careers.

j cole went the commercial route on the album though for me and it was a huge letdown imo, a part of me cant see lamar going as commercial as cole did on his debut so thats a good thing for me.

i honestly havnt been this hyped for a debut album/rapper for years, he is my current favorite rapper by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

great song from a class mixtape that is.

ye he really does, my only fear is that maybe he has set the bar too high with his mixtapes and section 80 that the album might disappoint somewhat similar to j.cole, who's work pier to his album is better than most other modern day rappers careers.

j cole went the commercial route on the album though for me and it was a huge letdown imo, a part of me cant see lamar going as commercial as cole did on his debut so thats a good thing for me.

i honestly havnt been this hyped for a debut album/rapper for years, he is my current favorite rapper by a long way.

I agree with all of that man, I'm really interested to see what Kendrick has in store on his debut

I don't think he'll go too commercial with it, maybe a Drake or a Pharell feature, but I can see it being similar to Section.80

And I agree on J Cole, to be fair his debut had some great stuff on it, but it was really forgettable overall

Yeah seems like the majority of hip hop heads, from underground listeners to more casual listeners, are hyped over Kendrick, which is something you don't normally see with upincoming rappers nowadays, he deserves the acclaim though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Section.80 was a solid solid Mixtape/album, that will be hard to top in fairness.
    horsebox09 wrote: »
    Yeah seems like the majority of hip hop heads, from underground listeners to more casual listeners, are hyped over Kendrick, which is something you don't normally see with upincoming rappers nowadays, he deserves the acclaim though

Well put, very few artists that have mass appeal and "underground" support equally. The Game is probably up there but few other rappers.

I agree with all of that man, I'm really interested to see what Kendrick has in store on his debut

I don't think he'll go too commercial with it, maybe a Drake or a Pharell feature, but I can see it being similar to Section.80

ye he said in an interview with jay rock recently (its on this thread somewhere) that he is going to continue on from section 80 so your dead right there mate, thats great for me because i loved the whole concept/story behind section 80 so hopefully the album will be even better.

but ye i expect some commercial material with maybe a drake etc to gain some radio presence but look these days that has to be done if a rapper wants to sell somewhat well.
    And I agree on J Cole, to be fair his debut had some great stuff on it, but it was really forgettable overall

defo some good stuff on it alright, the likes of breakdown etc were class but for me the bad outweighed the good which was a shame because he really does have the talent to produce a classic, it still was a number 1 album though just not enough of what his core fans wanted really imo.

but it was my biggest letdown of 2011 because i really was expecting something class on the level of other great debuts like illmatic, doggystyle, get rich etc.

i bought the album back in sept, and honestly found myself listining to the same 3 or 4 songs and then going back to his mixtapes.

true, i think the man just makes good music. I dont think iv seen a thread on a rapper here where nearly all the post have being positive.

• Advertisement

came across a fella called BJ the chicago kid today he is pretty good r'n'b soul element to his music but 2 of his songs ft lamar and their very good, very different from lamar but good.

also came across this snippet of a frank ocean song ft lamar on youtube also sounds good, wouldnt mind hearing the full version of this.

all new material, might have slipped under the radar for a few of us.

talks touring with drake and how cartoons and cereal was originally for the album!

cartoons and careal is a class song if that good of material is being left out, i cant wait to hear what actually makes the album.

video coming soon for the cartoon and cereal song too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

not really on board with kendrick, need to really sit down and listen to the mixtape again.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    not really on board with kendrick, need to really sit down and listen to the mixtape again.

you should man, give his earlier stuff a try too.

have you listened to section 80 at all or do you just not like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

ye have listened to section 80 a few times, found myself skipping quite a few songs, in fact listened to it again the other day kind of forcing myself to sit all the way through without skipping tracks.
    ive been known to do that though, not surprising for me to catch on to something after listening to it on and off for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Absolutely loving these new tracks, especially Cartoon & Cereal, if he isn't supporting Drake I might cry.. :(

Hugh Cream wrote: »

ye have listened to section 80 a few times, found myself skipping quite a few songs, in fact listened to it again the other day kind of forcing myself to sit all the way through without skipping tracks.
    ive been known to do that though, not surprising for me to catch on to something after listening to it on and off for a while.

Ye he might grow on you in time. Could be a case of you enjoying his debut when it's released and then actually get into his older stuff. I was like that with kanye when I first started listening to him , it's only really in the last 2 years I became a real kanye fan and actually appeiciate how good his music is bar that auto tune album which is terrible IMO.

@prettyboy , +1 on that ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

At least the 3 of us can get a "WE WANT KENDRICK!" chat going in the o2.

I must say, I missed the boat originally with K-Dot. I've been a Jay Rock fan for a few years and always liked Kendrick's verses on his tracks, but when the album came out I missed it. Shocking really considering I was IN California at the time. It was only when I got home, was at a mates gaf, was nicely medicated ;) and heard ADHD for the first time, I was like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck". Downloaded the album and absolutely loved it. His work on 'The City' is just incredible aswell. I got goosebumps the first time I heard it.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    At least the 3 of us can get a "WE WANT KENDRICK!" chat going in the o2.

I must say, I missed the boat originally with K-Dot. I've been a Jay Rock fan for a few years and always liked Kendrick's verses on his tracks, but when the album came out I missed it. Shocking really considering I was IN California at the time. It was only when I got home, was at a mates gaf, was nicely medicated ;) and heard ADHD for the first time, I was like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck". Downloaded the album and absolutely loved it. His work on 'The City' is just incredible aswell. I got goosebumps the first time I heard it.

He really did make the city track his own absolutely killed it in every way imaginable.

Tbh it was great having Lamar on the red album because it would have introduced him to some of games fan base which is good because he still is relatively unknown in many ways.

The fact that he is a confirmed feature on detox will also boost him putting him on a huge global hip hop stage with arguably the most anticipated album in hip hop history.

I remember hearing look out for detox and just taught man he can fuc*ing rap his hole off!

pharrell on section 80, few months old but iv only come across it today.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

pharrell on section 80, few months old but iv only come across it today.

That's one hell of an endorsement. Especially for the producer that was in the studio. Being told by Pharell that your beats are excellent, you could see the dude was excited.

And the best part, Pharrell was being genuine.

looks like all of black hippy have signed to interscope and aftermath in now a joint venture with their original label top dawg entertainment.

so this means lamars debut will be on aftermath, i expect a hold up now because it means obvious studio time with dre which is good but i just hope dre and interscope dont ruin lamars or black hippys style by having too much of an influence.

lamar said the album will be picking up from where section 80 finished somehow with that muppet jimmy iovine involved things might be different.

http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blogs/kendrick-lamar-black-hippy-sign-deal-with-interscope-records

Great news, more or less confirms Dre will be producing for the album (maybe exec?). Just hope there are no delays, will be good to finally see a new album from a west coast artist on Aftermath.

(maybe exec?)

ye that is a very real possibility now, we have seen dre's work on his other artists debuts so when you think about it we could be in for a real classic!.

also the possibility of dre exec producing schoolboy's debut is equally as exciting for me. being listening a lot to schoolboy lately , he is quality.

jay rock just missed out with his debut though, a shame because orignally jay rock was taught of as the flagship artist for black hippy, i think lamar and schoolboy have overtook him now if we are honest.

this could be a good a move for dre as it is for black hippy because dre's work of late has been cat imo, on em's and 50s albums. the move could spell the end for slim da mobster though, he isnt on the level of any black hippy members and he might struggle to get a release just like lamont did.

Yeah the news is actually just kicking in now, I always thought it would be released under Top Dawg and for a good while I thought that Dre wouldn't have the same kind of involvement he had with Game and 50's debut albums. I really hope Dre will act as exec producer on this, would be good to hear 4-5 tracks produced by him :)
    the move could spell the end for slim da mobster though, he isnt on the level of any black hippy members and he might struggle to get a release just like lamont did.

Slim will never release a major label album, definitely not with Aftermath anyway.

• Advertisement

I listened to section 80 3 or 4 more times over the week there and jesus what a piece of work it is.

Every single song is on point from the lyrics to the beats to everything. It is really really well made I can't wait to see what his album with Dre working with him will be like.

I did a complete 180 on him, was not a fan when I first heard him at all until I listened to section.80

He performed a new track at SXSW, 'Staircases' produced by The Neptunes.

I listened to section 80 3 or 4 more times over the week there and jesus what a piece of work it is.

Every single song is on point from the lyrics to the beats to everything. It is really really well made I can't wait to see what his album with Dre working with him will be like.

I did a complete 180 on him, was not a fan when I first heard him at all until I listened to section.80

you really did man, wasn't long ago when you were saying lamar is only as good as will.i.am and timbaland lol.:)

good interview, liking how he's sticking to his own camp. Every indication so far that this will continue on from section 80 like he claims it will.

you really did man, wasn't long ago when you were saying lamar is only as good as will.i.am and timbaland lol.:)

Yes, but I think I was mixing up Lamar and Cole as I am not that much of a fan of Coles rapping still.
    For example K Lamar does not sing half as much as Cole, hence the Timbaland/Wil.I.Am (I use signing very very liberally obviously) But Coles production is great, he makes good music.

Section.80 is a step above, the second I heard it I did a 180. The rest of his stuff is mostly good but that album is immense.

Is it right that he did not really sign with Aftermath, the parent company was bought by Aftermath?

Yes, but I think I was mixing up Lamar and Cole as I am not that much of a fan of Coles rapping still.
    For example K Lamar does not sing half as much as Cole, hence the Timbaland/Wil.I.Am (I use signing very very liberally obviously) But Coles production is great, he makes good music.

Section.80 is a step above, the second I heard it I did a 180. The rest of his stuff is mostly good but that album is immense.

Is it right that he did not really sign with Aftermath, the parent company was bought by Aftermath?

Cole doesnt seem to be popular here anyway. I like his work prior to the album, his mixtapes are better than a lot of rappers albums in recent years. 1 or 2 of cole's mixapes are not far behind section 80 to be fair imo.

but ye cole doesn't really sing, he really just goes with the melody, its not like he tries to hit notes or anything. A lot of rappers do the same tbh but ye cole's production is great but in my eyes he is a good rapper too despite a let down of an album.

dont know about aftermath buying top dawg, first i heard of it man.

I should give Cole a second/third chance (considering my u-turn on Lamar and them working together and more in the future)

http://allhiphop.com/2012/03/08/top-dawg-entertainment-signs-joint-venture-deal-with-aftermathinterscope/

They signed a deal with them, so it is not really like Lamar (and Black Hippy) signing with Dre really in a sense.

It is a best of both worlds sort of thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

So i've finally also gotten around to listen to Section.80. It's decent, it dips in places, but there is definitely some quality there. Going to listen a few more times before I give it a proper review so to speak.

But, I will say one thing, he should not be using beats produced by Dre (not the headphones, he can use them all he wants :)). Whoever his production team is now, he should stick with them. I dont think Dre's style of production would suit Kendrick at all.....epecially what we have heard in the last few years from Dre.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Whoever his production team is now, he should stick with them. I dont think Dre's style of production would suit Kendrick at all.....epecially what we have heard in the last few years from Dre.

Agreed, best production I have heard in ages.

I would even reject a Premo beat too if it went his way unless it was a good fit.

• Advertisement

im very cautious of the move myself despite lamar telling us several times the album will have the same sound as section 80 and will more or less continue on the concept.

but its now inevitable that dre will have some sort of beat/influence on this album. We have seen it before with all of dre's artists debuts, lamar will be no different.

The thing that excites me about the collaboration of the two is the fact dre will have to come up with something different for lamar and tbh i think he will have no problem in doing so.

Take eminem for example, dre's beats are always different to say that of snoop, game or 50 etc for em. They are pretty much tailor fitted for em's style, i think the same will happen with lamar.

my main worry about the interscope move is the likes of jimmy iovine, without a doubt he will pushing for some sort of commercial presence in this album imo especially the way hip hop is now.

Advertisement