Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service light reset. [all models database]

• 06-03-2010 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

I think a good idea for a thread for all the different models out there.

I used to know the VW one, it is something like press the trip button with the ignition off. Turn on ignition, release button, press again and turn the clock adjuster to the right.

Someone will probably set me right now!

Anyway, if you know of the proper sequence for any model please put them up in this thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Woo, this thread will keep me busy for a while.

Rover 75

On a Rover 75, you need to short pin's 4 and 8 on the ODB port for about 4 seconds to reset the basic oil change. About 15 seconds for the Inspection.

I'll root out the MINI/BMW service resets soon. Have them in a file here somwhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

BMW 3 series (E90/1/2/3), 1 series (E81/2):
    (With all doors closed)
    Turn ignition on, engine not running. Wait until check control warnings go out in instrument cluster. Hold down trip reset button (left of instrument cluster) for about 10 seconds, a yellow exclamation mark inside a triangle should illuminate and then the service items will be displated on the instrument cluster.
    When service item is illuminated in cluster, push "BC" button on end of indicator stalk and "Reset?" shold illuminate - release and hold to bring up rotating clock symbol in cluster. "Reset" then flashes to confirm - use the up/down slider on the indicator stalk to select different service items.

BMW 5 series (E60/1):
    (With all doors closed)
    Identical to procedure above, use trip reset button on cluster instead of "BC" button on indicator stalk.

The above procedures should work for any of the new BMW's that feature "CBS" or Condition Based Servicing not mentioned here - if one procedure doesn't work the other will.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

That e90 routine also works with the R55/56/57 MINIs, or in otherwords, Hatchs from 2006, Clubman from 2007, and Convertible from 2008 onwards. It should theoretically also work with the new Countryman too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I forgot the Renault Trafic.

Ignition on, press throttle fully to the floor, then press the brake pedal 3 times. Throttle to kept pressed down as brake is pressed.

Don't know if this works on the Vivaro/Primastar as well or other Renaults

That e90 routine also works with the R55/56/57 MINIs, or in otherwords, Hatchs from 2006, Clubman from 2007, and Convertible from 2008 onwards. It should theoretically also work with the new Countryman too.

The only thing is that 2 little people appear on the cbs display - you have to push the "BC" button on the indicator stalk to get rid of them before you reset the service lights - it won't work otherwise.

• Advertisement

BMW 3 series (E46), 5 series (E39), X5 (E53) and Mini (R50/2/3):
    Press and hold the trip button (left of instrument cluster) and turn key to position 1. Watch for RESET to appear. Release the button, then press & hold it again. Wait for the RESET to flash. Release the button, and then press & release (do not hold down). Service interval should then be reset to next interval.

Brake fluid is also overlooked - to check when it's due, push the right-hand button on the cluster when the service information is displayed, just after you turn the ignition on. If the brake fluid is due, replace fluid and repeat above procedure to reset indicator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Peugeot - 106, 206, 307, 406, 607, 807.

AFAIR This works on above models from 99-00 and onwards.

With engine off hold on trip button, turn key and you'll see a + over a - sign with a 0 beside it. Turning again a countdown timer starts from 10. When timer hits 0 start the engine and the service light is reset.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Most Volvos up to 06.

Most models up to 2001
    -Ignition position I
    -Press and hold in the reset button for the trip odometer
    -Ignition position II
    -The SRI starts flashing when the reset button for the trip odometer has been pressed for 10 seconds.
    -Release the reset button for the odometer within 5 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded.

2001 onwards.
    -Ignition position I
    -Ignition position II
    Note! Turn the key to position II within 2 seconds
    -Hold the reset button for the trip meter pressed in until the original value has been reset
    Note! For all vehicles 2003 model year a general yellow lamp will light when the reset button must be released.
    -Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 4 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when restting has succeeded.
    -If the trip meter is already reset the reset button should be held in for a minimum of 10 seconds and a maximum of 14 seconds.

After 06--needs an OBD tool that will reset Volvos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Audi A4 B5 Model 1995 - 2002

This is the procedure to reset service and oil message:
    on the instrument board we will call the left button #1 and the right one # 2.
    -press button 2(right and switch on the ignition while keeping the button pressed,the display will show you "oil service
    -release button 2 and PULL(not push) button one tll that you will se cleared oil service
    -press again button 2 to display service message
    -release button 2 and PULL button one until message is cleared
    -switch off ignition key
    -done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭patrickc

i know on the 00 Opel/Vauxhall astra and a 05 one, so presume all are the same its just hold the reset trip button, turn key to position one, keep holding button and the INSP light should flash to say it's been reset.

voila start car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭patrickc

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Most Volvos up to 06.

Most models up to 2001
    -Ignition position I
    -Ignition position II
    -The SRI starts flashing when the reset button for the trip odometer has been pressed for 10 seconds.
    -Release the reset button for the odometer within 5 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded.

2001 onwards.
    -Ignition position I
    -Ignition position II
    Note! Turn the key to position II within 2 seconds
    -Hold the reset button for the trip meter pressed in until the original value has been reset
    Note! For all vehicles 2003 model year a general yellow lamp will light when the reset button must be released.
    -Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 4 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when restting has succeeded.
    -If the trip meter is already reset the reset button should be held in for a minimum of 10 seconds and a maximum of 14 seconds.

After 06--needs an OBD tool that will reset Volvos.

AFAIK the 97-98 S40 needs a tool to do it, but as above works with my 01 S40.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

patrickc wrote: »
    AFAIK the 97-98 S40 needs a tool to do it, but as above works with my 01 S40.

Nope 97-98 is as above.

01 S40 is the same model as a 97/98.No major facelift in the S40 from 97 up to 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

New Transits and Ford cars(some)

Hold down accelerator and brake with ignition on for about 30 seconds and you will see the spanner flashing. Then leave go and thats that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

MK5 Golf (once it's not on longlife)

Is Switch Ignition off
    Press and hold the 'reset trip(0.0)' button
    Switch ignition on
    Release the button
    Then press the 'min' button

And hey presto. For longlife you need to use Vagcom or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Onkle wrote: »
    MK5 Golf (once it's not on longlife)

Is Switch Ignition off
    Press and hold the 'reset trip(0.0)' button
    Switch ignition on
    Release the button
    Then press the 'min' button

And hey presto. For longlife you need to use Vagcom or other.

Pretty sure it's the same procedure for most VAG cars around the same age. I've definatley done something similar on the current model Passat.

Thanks to all who have posted. This thread will be very, very handy for those cars that the mechanics forget to reset!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Anybody know how to reset the service light on a 05 \SAAB 93 would it b the same as an opel ie hold the trip while turning on the ignition !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Darsad wrote: »
    Anybody know how to reset the service light on a 05 \SAAB 93 would it b the same as an opel ie hold the trip while turning on the ignition !
    Not sure how to on a 2005 model but for a 2003 you do the following.

Press customise on the SID. Select system settings. Service info. Select reset service info. If the option to reset isn't there you'll need to change the date to a date beyond the 'Days to service',the reset option will then come up. After you reset it put the date back to normal. (to change date press and hold the info select button when the date is displayed. )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Bonito wrote: »
    Not sure how to on a 2005 model but for a 2003 you do the following.

Press customise on the SID. Select system settings. Service info. Select reset service info. If the option to reset isn't there you'll need to change the date to a date beyond the 'Days to service',the reset option will then come up. After you reset it put the date back to normal. (to change date press and hold the info select button when the date is displayed. )

I think you have to press the brake pedal to get the service menu up. I'm not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Darsad wrote: »

Its different depending on you spec and engine.

Post your engine type and if you have an 'info' button on your steering wheel or not and I'll tell you which way to do it..

IMO its easier if people post up the car they want to know rather then just lashing up lots of random models.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Its different depending on you spec and engine.

Post your engine type and if you have an 'info' button on your steering wheel or not and I'll tell you which way to do it..

IMO its easier if people post up the car they want to know rather then just lashing up lots of random models.

Tks will do when i see it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Nissan Tino

I used the below method a few months ago.
    1 Switch ignition on
    2 Switch radio on
    3 Start engine
    4 Switch radio off
    5 Press & hold info button
    6 Turn volume button at least 30 clicks until self diagnosis menu is displayed.
    7 Release info button
    8 Use joystick ( circular disc between map & info buttons) to select Confirmation/Adjustment, press enter by pushing down on joystick .
    9 Select service, press enter.
    10 Select reset, press enter.
    11 Press Back to return to main menu.
    12 Switch ignition off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

Toyota Yaris 2008

Turn ignition on
    Select Trip meter A by pressing odometer button.
    Turn off ignition
    Press and hold odometer select button and turn on ignition
    Trip A diplay now shows six of these
    which disappear one by one as you hold in the odo button.
    When all six
    disappear let go the odometer button.

The service icon is now reset for another 15,000kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did it today as I'm changing oil tomorrow.

First find the diagnostic port
    6cb24.jpg

Turn key to position 2 so you can see the service light come on. Leave key in this position.
    32318.jpg

Use 2 metallic paper clips, one in hole 7 and the other in hole 19
    03aa9.jpg
    87881.jpg

Connect the clips to each other for about four seconds, no longer than 10.
    Separate clips

Sit back in the car, look at the light - voila!
    c3a49.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭v240gltse

Introduction

SID 2 and SID 3 units will display "TIME FOR SERVICE" when a service is due within 600 miles. This message is displayed once the car has travelled a certain number of miles since the last service.
    On vehicles from 1995, the system also takes into account the number of days since the last service. If 365 days have passed since the last service, and the message has not been triggered by the odometer, "TIME FOR SERVICE" will also be displayed.

Resetting the TIME FOR SERVICE message

This message can be reset easily if required, with the odometer monitor and day counter (if applicable) being reset. You may wish to do this if it has not been done by the garage carrying out the service, or if you are performing the service yourself.
    To reset the TIME FOR SERVICE memory:
    • Press CLEAR once to remove any messages which may be on the screen.
    • Hold down the CLEAR button on the SID unit.
    • After 4 seconds, the unit will beep and "CLEAR" will be displayed.
    • After 8 seconds, the unit will beep again and "SERVICE" will be displayed.
    • Release the CLEAR button to complete the reset.
    Note: This is part of the Saab's service procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

if you need to find out on some of em and u cant find em pm me...i got most cars service and inspection resets on autodata

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

bmw 5series e60 2003-2010

turn key to position 1
    hold in trip button for 10 secs then release when you see oil can
    hold trip again for 5 secs until you see RESET? release
    press once more to reset each service item eg brake pads,oil etc

to find the diagnostics menu turn key to pos1
    press indicator stalk to display the date.
    hold in trip button for 10 secs until you see fgregister0.1
    press trip button 19 times until you see LOCK ON. CODE
    add up the last 5 digits of the cars chassis code
    this is your code,press in your code eg 27.you will see LOCK OF
    now you will have access to alot of diagnostic menus and displays
    eg coolant temp/revs/litres in tank/outside temp/inside temp/average weekly miles/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

turn on ignition and leave dash to settle , press left Mileage button and hold........and hold..... til CFG flashes , either 01 , 02 or 03 , 02 is service interval of about 10k-12k . Press and hold til the mileage display returns .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

D4D Landcruiser. (The one I did was 08)

Set Odometer to trip A.

With ignition off press and hold trip button. Turn on ignition and keep depressed until all the dashes on the display count down and service light goes out

New golfs its actually in the menu just scroll down and reset. All you need is common sense:)

• Advertisement

Plug wrote: »
    New Transits and Ford cars(some)

Hold down accelerator and brake with ignition on for about 30 seconds and you will see the spanner flashing. Then leave go and thats that.
    *If its a Transit don't start it for 2 minutes after as it can fry the ECU, there was a TSB on this before.*

If a mod can edit my original post that would be great.

Advertisement