Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speical K diet

• 14-04-2012 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Okay so I am sick of cutting down to 1200 calories, running and walking and spinning like a mad person and still my weight remains the same

So I am thinking of doing the two bowls two meals two weeks but with bran flakes dont like special K

has anyone done it, does it work...I know your all going to go on about a healthy diet believe me I have one total stick vege but have an illness that counter acts all my good work....so just want to know about this diet and what people think...will be starting it on tuesday :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Terrible diet tbh. Awful.

If it does work and you do lose weight, you're pretty much guaranteed to pile it all back on (and probably more) not long afterwards.

The key to successful weight loss is sustainable 'dieting' ie. something you can do long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Waste.of.time.

Post up your current diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

It only works for people who are a healthy weight and want to loose a little amount of weight (which ends up being a lot of water weight and is replenished once the dieter resumes back) and thats assuming the person starting the diet has come from high calories so the first two weeks of a body going from high to low cals hasn't learned how to adapt to survive on bowls of cereal so its using more of its glycogen stores or whatever thats called, if you have lots to loose you know yourself that and 1200 a day + exercise and youre body is already used to a low cal intake and not loosing weight as a result it isn't conducive to sustainable weight loss.

I used to eat 1200 and exercise and it caused me to hit a majour plateau because my body got used to 1200 and x amount of calories burnt through exercise (*but changing the intensity, intervals and the types of exercise you do can shake things up) and I couldn't up my exercise or lower my calories because I was already at the bottom so I first.

upped my calories to 1300 non exercise days and 1500-1600 exercise days
    tried calories cycling
    Green tea diet pills (ha never again)

Nothing worked I was bouncing between two pounds for months, when I lost and then regained multiple times it was heartbreaking

My body had gotten used to my walking and cycling and couldn't deal with a BMR of 1600 and having net 700 calories to function on, in the end I joined a gym (doesnt suit everyone)but basically needed circuit training bootcamp type thing to push my body out of its comfort zone, forgot about calories for a while and concentrated on the nutrition of the food I was buying and portion control so I think that tackled the issue of me eating below my calorie needs with foods that spiked my blood sugar or used up energy too quickly and then my blood sugar was always up down up down now I better foods rather than less and do intensive workouts rather than a lot of calorie burning low-med intensity stuff I was used to and now used a lot of muscles I didnt before circuit training so my body is more of a calorie burning machine rather than me just eating lowest amount of calories to get by and hope for the best, but no one can tell you whats right for you, you seem pretty set on sticking to cereals but this is just what worked for me and I am finally loosing again not just loosing for two weeks and then stalling for 3 months again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

edellc wrote: »
    Okay so I am sick of cutting down to 1200 calories, running and walking and spinning like a mad person and still my weight remains the same

So I am thinking of doing the two bowls two meals two weeks but with bran flakes dont like special K

has anyone done it, does it work...I know your all going to go on about a healthy diet believe me I have one total stick vege but have an illness that counter acts all my good work....so just want to know about this diet and what people think...will be starting it on tuesday :)

The fact that you know that posters will "go on about a healthy diet" means that you probably already know what they think and you probably know yourself that your proposed diet is ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gravity10

1200 calories? That's just ridiculous. I'd hazard a guess that you are insulin resistant and your cells don't want to let go of their fat.

Watch the video with the evolution of man as the screen cap. It will teach you all you need to know.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/page/2

Drop your carbs down under 100 grams a day and force your body to burn fat naturally.

Grains are terrible for you btw, milk isn't much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Not worth it, all water weight loss so it's completely pointless.
    Also, if you've an illness that's effecting your weight maybe consider investing in meeting with a nutritionist. They'll be able to work out a diet suited to your needs. You don't want to harm your body in the name of loosing wieght.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Could you please post up your current height, weight, goals, activity and total current food intake.
    All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

WHY???

I asked about the special K diet, dont need to tell you anything about my weight , height or anything else as that is not what I asked....I am well aware of nutrition since I have been a vegetarian (a very strick one) all my life, I have never had an issue with my weight nor portion control, nor calorie intake, I never needed to worry... However I got pregnant and very sick and ended up with a life long illness and have been very sick since having baba, and I have stuck to my strict vege diet but no weight has come off, so I tried calorie control and no weight has come off....I know my exercise has decreased a lot since I became pregnant and has never picked up to where it was and it never will do back to what it was as I am a full time mum with no financial mean to send baba to creche nor do I have anyone to look after baba while I go to the gym, so walking, some running, the xbox connect (when baba asleep) and once a week spinning is the only exercise I can do.

I dont eat unhealthy, and I will not cut out carbs as they are part of a healthy balanced diet, I only ever eat brown carbs anyway, my downfall may be fruit as I know it contains sugars but fruit is also part of your 5 a day and part of a healthy balanced diet.

I just wanted to know if anyone has lost weight on this diet over the two weeks as a way to kick start the weight loss....my medication doesnt help as it piles the weight on so its an uphill battle all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Transform wrote: »
    Could you please post up your current height, weight, goals, activity and total current food intake.
    All the best

just want to apologies i didnt mean to sound rude in the other post but unless your a nutritionist I dont see how a boardie can help with these things, My only goal is to get loose a few stone as I am terrified of type 2 diabeties, I currently weight between 16 and 17 stone :( and normally weighed between 10 and 11, I dont really keep a food diary as such but I know what I eat is healthy and is portion controlled...I just want to be around for my baba to see him grow up thats all and to feel comfortable in my skin again.

However if you have a suggestion for a daily/weekly food plan that is strictly vegetarian, NO FISH/SEA FOOD, NO POULTRY, NO DEAD ANIMALS at all, only rennet free cheese, brown carbs only...I do drink milk half fat, and yogarts....then that would be much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Hi Op,

Do not do this diet, have tried it myself before and it's really just a quick fix.
    You will feel hungry and tired, and eventually get fed up and more then likely put back on the weight you lose from doing it (happen to me)

JMO but I think the best, and only healthy way for weight loss is to cut out junk food, eat plenty of fruit/veg/fish/nuts etc, and of course plenty of exercise. Allow yourself a treat also. mainly stick to high protein foods, I understand your are a vegetarian, so Try replace Fish and meat with other foods (can not recommend any as I'm not a vegetarian)
    If you think you wont stick to this may I suggest you joining Slimming World, Have not joined myself but have heard really good comments and results from it and apparently it's not to pricey to join either.

There is loads of different advice etc on the forum I suggest you browse through - has really helped me and the Posters are nice & friendly and 9/10 there advice is accurate.

When A person is asking "what your currently eating" "weight&hight" they are just trying to get more info about you , so they can give you the right info and advice. everyone is a different hight,weight, and we all have different life styles and enjoy different foods so it's important for the person to know a little about you before they can give any decent advice.

Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Also, if its type 2 diabetes, then stay away from ALL processed sugars. Not one of kellogs cereals are nutritious. Bran flakes are between 17 - 22% sugar as far as I know. (not to mention that bran is a brillo pad to your insides)

Posters are asking you for your current diet as people that say they are eating 1200 kcals very rarely are. 90% underestimate their food intake.

Also, yes, transform can help you in the area of food choices - he knows his stuff and will serve you better than most 'nutritionists' will.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

Transform wrote: »
    All the best

just want to apologies i didnt mean to sound rude in the other post but unless your a nutritionist I dont see how a boardie can help with these things, My only goal is to get loose a few stone as I am terrified of type 2 diabeties, I currently weight between 16 and 17 stone :( and normally weighed between 10 and 11, I dont really keep a food diary as such but I know what I eat is healthy and is portion controlled...I just want to be around for my baba to see him grow up thats all and to feel comfortable in my skin again.

However if you have a suggestion for a daily/weekly food plan that is strictly vegetarian, NO FISH/SEA FOOD, NO POULTRY, NO DEAD ANIMALS at all, only rennet free cheese, brown carbs only...I do drink milk half fat, and yogarts....then that would be much appreciated :)

Don't see how you can think weight, height, general calorie intake are irrelevant if your coming on to a nutrition board with querys about losing weight.

WHY???

I asked about the special K diet, dont need to tell you anything about my weight , height or anything else as that is not what I asked....I am well aware of nutrition since I have been a vegetarian (a very strick one) all my life, I have never had an issue with my weight nor portion control, nor calorie intake, I never needed to worry... However I got pregnant and very sick and ended up with a life long illness and have been very sick since having baba, and I have stuck to my strict vege diet but no weight has come off, so I tried calorie control and no weight has come off....I know my exercise has decreased a lot since I became pregnant and has never picked up to where it was and it never will do back to what it was as I am a full time mum with no financial mean to send baba to creche nor do I have anyone to look after baba while I go to the gym, so walking, some running, the xbox connect (when baba asleep) and once a week spinning is the only exercise I can do.

I dont eat unhealthy, and I will not cut out carbs as they are part of a healthy balanced diet, I only ever eat brown carbs anyway, my downfall may be fruit as I know it contains sugars but fruit is also part of your 5 a day and part of a healthy balanced diet.

I just wanted to know if anyone has lost weight on this diet over the two weeks as a way to kick start the weight loss....my medication doesnt help as it piles the weight on so its an uphill battle all the time
    As they say on dragons den -"and with that I have to say I'm out".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

So you think having two meals consisting of sugar flakes and processed carbs each day is going to help you lose weight, and you don't want to talk about the alternatives?

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Can I jump in here as I am in a similar position? :o

Two weeks ago I was told by my GP that I am now a diabetic type 2 but he says I can reverse it if I lose 2 stone.

I am walking/jogging each morning for 30mins and walking in evenings for 30 mins

Here are my details:

Male
    42yrs age,
    Height 5, 11
    Weight 16 stone 2 pounds

Average eating is as follows:

Breakfast
    Large Bowl possidge with fruit
    One slice whole meal brown dread with diet sugar free marmalade or banana
    Tea/coffee

Midmorning snack
    Apple or yoghurt, tea/coffee

Lunch
    Tin sardines, 2 slices wholemeal brown bread or else 2 egg omelette
    Banana,

Afternoon snacks
    Raw carrots, item of fruit

Dinners
    Spaghetti bolognese
    Boilded potatoes, chicken (usually fried in sunflower oil on a pan), carrots, beans
    Cabbage and lean ham spuds
    Turnip ham spuds

Supper
    Bowl of all bran or weetabix
    Tea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Can I jump in here as I am in a similar position? :o

Two weeks ago I was told by my GP that I am now a diabetic type 2 but he says I can reverse it if I lose 2 stone.

I am walking/jogging each morning for 30mins and walking in evenings for 30 mins

Here are my details:

Male
    42yrs age,
    Height 5, 11
    Weight 16 stone 2 pounds

Average eating is as follows:

Breakfast
    Large Bowl possidge with fruit - SUGAR + SUGAR
    One slice whole meal brown dread SUGARwith diet sugar free marmalade or banana SUGAR
    Tea/coffee

Midmorning snack
    AppleSUGARor yoghurtSUGAR ??, tea/coffee

Lunch
    Tin sardines, 2 slices wholemeal brown breadSUGARor else 2 egg omelette
    BananaSUGAR

Afternoon snacks
    Raw carrots SUGAR, item of fruit SUGAR

Dinners
    SpaghettiSUGARbolognese
    Boilded potatoesSUGAR, chicken (usually fried in sunflower oil on a pan), carrotsSUGAR, beansSUGAR
    Cabbage and lean ham spudsSUGAR
    Turnip ham spudsSUGAR
    Supper
    Bowl of all bran SUGAR or weetabix SUGAR
    Tea - with sugar??

Do you feel me??

Your type 2 diabetes can be reversed, but not with this 'diet'

that is a lot of bread, potatoes, and stodgy grains
    And caffeine would play havoc with sugar insulin levels[/Quote]

wow I never knew tea coffee impacts on blood sugar levels

I must drink 6 mugs tea daily and 2 or 30mugs coffee,

regarding bread I always feel deprived and hungry without bread, very frustrated about bread :-(

regarding bread I always feel deprived and hungry without bread, very frustrated about bread :-(

T2DM is a serious condition and it needs serious effort to reverse it.

Your body is insulin resistant and all those carbs aren't going to help reverse that. You want to avoid all refined carbs (anything sugary or starchy) and try and replace that void with as many vegetables as possible. Don't worry too much about unrefined fat intake - try and avoid processed food as much as you can.

The more exercise you do, the better. Make yourself some exercise goals - short term at first, and then long term - small steps along a long path. Add resistance training to your regime - getting stronger and increasing muscle mass will help you burn extra calories and alleviate the metabolic burden on your adipose (fat) tissue.

T2DM might just be a diagnosis to you now, but if you let it progress, the complications keep on getting worse and will really impact your quality of life. You've got a chance now to turn things around - take hold of it and give it all you can.

mloc wrote: »

Your body is insulin resistant and all those carbs aren't going to help reverse that. You want to avoid all refined carbs (anything sugary or starchy) and try and replace that void with as many vegetables as possible. Don't worry too much about unrefined fat intake - try and avoid processed food as much as you can.

The more exercise you do, the better. Make yourself some exercise goals - short term at first, and then long te
    rm - small steps along a long path. Add resistance training to your regime - getting stronger and increasing muscle mass will help you burn extra calories and alleviate the metabolic burden on your adipose (fat) tissue.

T2DM might just be a diagnosis to you now, but if you let it progress, the complications keep on getting worse and will really impact your quality of life. You've got a chance now to turn things around - take hold of it and give it all you can.

thanks for the advice my ?gp said similar about it progressing a lot worse unless I change things,
    funny I suffer from bad sleep I mentioned to him about my big addiction to tea coffee and he was not concerned, I'd love to suit tea coffee I know in past I had a growing liking to a circuit or a bar every time I had a tea break, vicious circle of feeling wore out and needing a quick pickmeup.

I'm actually very emotional about this and would do anything to change my life around before its too late. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Well at least you know you need to change. That's the first part of the battle.

I don't think it's a good idea to cut all starchy carbs out straight away as you'll feel deprived. Cut out one a week starting with bread.

I don't think it's a good idea to cut all starchy carbs out straight away as you'll feel deprived. Cut out one a week starting with bread.

I agree with this... make gradual changes, but stick to them and be consistent. Keep going in the right direction.

I'm not overly concerned about the tea or coffee, although if it's not black then there's extra calories right there in the milk/sugar. Having said that, it's no harm reducing intake of caffeine gradually too... try having cold water instead of coffee and working decaf tea in to replace the normal stuff. If you want to keep some caffeine in your diet, you could dry drinking green tea "black"... it's a different taste but nice when you get used to it.

I'd suggest keeping all caffeine intake to before 5 pm to start, as a good nights sleep will be essential to sticking to your diet and exercise program.

Agreed, if the only thing you changed was the bread you would be laughing

mloc wrote: »

The more exercise you do, the better. Make yourself some exercise goals - short term at first, and then long te
    rm - small steps along a long path. Add resistance training to your regime - getting stronger and increasing muscle mass will help you burn extra calories and alleviate the metabolic burden on your adipose (fat) tissue.

thanks for the advice my ?gp said similar about it progressing a lot worse unless I change things,
    funny I suffer from bad sleep I mentioned to him about my big addiction to tea coffee and he was not concerned, I'd love to suit tea coffee I know in past I had a growing liking to a circuit or a bar every time I had a tea break, vicious circle of feeling wore out and needing a quick pickmeup.

I'm actually very emotional about this and would do anything to change my life around before its too late. :-(
    any tips what to eat that will fill me instead of bread? thirtipttgd million dollar question

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

any tips what to eat that will fill me instead of bread? thirtipttgd million dollar question

Bread doesn't fill you at all! any good protein or fat source will fill you right up, I always make sure to cook extra meat during dinner, so there's always some around the next day to eat if needs be. Eggs are fantastic 3 minutes in the microwave with salt and black pepper and you can have perfect scrambled eggs.

Bread doesn't fill you at all! any good protein or fat source will fill you right up, I always make sure to cook extra meat during dinner, so there's always some around the next day to eat if needs be. Eggs are fantastic 3 minutes in the microwave with salt and black pepper and you can have perfect scrambled eggs.

I never eat three eggs all together in my life, unfortunately I also have high cholesterol :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

Irish Homer,

FWIW, I will give you a quick personal bio for 'inspiration' if you will.

Nov '11
    Age:43, overweight by 3 stone, elevated cholesterol, high blood pressure, blood glucose level -high - after blood tests came back Doctor told me he was going to recommend statins if my next blood test came back with similar results - handed me the food pyramid chart and told me to follow that and get a bit of exercise.

I said to myself - **** this, I am not going to go on meds for the rest of my life and I started to research. Both myself and my diet.

Apr '12 - blood work came back after last tests. Weight is fine, cholesterol is marginally over what the doc says is acceptable but a decrease of nearly 20% in bad chol and an increase of 32% in good chol., BP normal, blood glucose is fine. No need for statins.

I made 2 dramatic changes;
    1. Exercise - I am cycling, walking, hiking alot and I love it.
    2. I 'discovered' Loren Cordain, Rob Wolfe and Mark Sissons - the paleo movement.

Result: In six months I have changed my life but more importantly my future.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭meijin

I found this thread to have some good ideas and the guide linked in first post will give you structured approach to changing your diet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Can you not just cope without bread? You're hardly going to be writhing in agony. I don't get why people say "I'm not giving up X because I feel X without it" etc. Just deal with it, you'll get used to it in a week or so probably. I'm afraid losing weight is a case of no pain no gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

Advertisement