Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I find out about an upcoming court case.

• 15-02-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Someone I know (but do not get on with) is appearing in court next month, or so I've been told. Is there some source of information that I can consult to find out exactly when his case is due?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Www.courts.ie lists some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Gautama wrote: »
    Someone I know (but do not get on with) is appearing in court next month, or so I've been told. Is there some source of information that I can consult to find out exactly when his case is due?

why do you wish to turn up to a court case of someone you do not get on with ?

Are you planning to heckle/shout abuse at them or just morbidly curious as to what sentence they will receive ? Are you the persons victim ?(in which case you should be informed of the court date)

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Gautama

Corkbah wrote: »
    Are you planning to heckle/shout abuse at them or just morbidly curious as to what sentence they will receive ?

Neither. I've never been inside a courthouse and I'm interested in seeing the legal process. As I know the person involved I'll have a very rounded view of the events. Unlike, say, somebody watching the Blade Runner case in RSA.
    Corkbah wrote: »
    Are you the persons victim ?(in which case you should be informed of the court date)

I've been a minor "victim" (to use your term) of this person on a number of other incidents on-and-off over the last 25 years or so. Mainly ASBOs, some theft and trespass. Those I've reported have been ignored by the Gardai. The few times I tried to resolve the issue myself the Gardai have told me that my actions "leave me responsible", i.e. in undoing his wrong I've left myself open to prosecution.

His "victims" this time have been animals. This time it's cattle. Cruelty and starvation. Despite the fact that the Dept of Agriculture have been delivering "free" (ie paid by the taxpayer) fodder to him once a week for months.

When he was in court last here his "victims" were donkeys. They could be heard bellowing with the hunger throughout the winter.

Al Capone was a murderer and a crook but was imprisoned for tax evasion. I'm sure his "victims" took solace that he served time for something.

Www.courts.ie lists some cases.

Not a great site, is it?

The case is for animal cruelty therefore I assume it's the Cork (:o) District Court, or maybe the Mallow court.

That's District 19/20:
    http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/16c93c36d3635d5180256e3f003a4580/bb6d7ad0f83a107880257975003a2daa?OpenDocument#No20

It gives the hours of scheduled sittings but no mention of the forth coming cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

DC cases wont be listed as there are hundreds. Only the next days cases are listed anyway.

You could try call the district office to find out, they may or may not be able to tell you but theres no way of finding out online.

Oh and, for what its worth, I think it is a great site. It may not find your buddy john smith who slaps cows arses but it serves the whole legal profession every single day. But whatever you say!

• Advertisement

NoQuarter wrote: »

Oh and, for what its worth, I think it is a great site. It may not find your buddy john smith who slaps cows arses but it serves the whole legal profession every single day. But whatever you say!

I worked in Web Development for 10 years. I've been using the internet for 20 years. I reminds me of sites from the mid-90ies.

Are you in the legal profession? If so, I would regard this as a mild example of how out of touch the legal profession are; obviously not as serious as the Patrick O'Brien / Fiona Doyle case, but a flaw on every level.

As for "slaps cows arses", that's another example. Last years case was worse than "slaps":

"They had no access to shelter over the winter period and were so hungry they were eating bark off the trees. Their health was very poor and they struggled to find water. They had a large number of internal parasites and they had various open wounds. Some donkeys had rain scald, one had a bleeding sarcoid and all the donkeys were treated for lice infestations. The Donkey Sanctuary worked closely with the Department of Agriculture over the last number of months to help bring this case to a successful conclusion."
    http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.ie/node/556

I worked in Web Development for 10 years. I've been using the internet for 20 years. I reminds me of sites from the mid-90ies.

Are you in the legal profession? If so, I would regard this as a mild example of how out of touch the legal profession are;
    Wow, a technology hipster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You've never actually sat in on a court case and you're asserting the legal profession is 'out of touch'. Is it just one shoulder you have a chip on?

Are you in the legal profession? If so, I would regard this as a mild example of how out of touch the legal profession are; obviously not as serious as the Patrick O'Brien / Fiona Doyle case, but a flaw on every level.

As for "slaps cows arses", that's another example. Last years case was worse than "slaps":

"They had no access to shelter over the winter period and were so hungry they were eating bark off the trees. Their health was very poor and they struggled to find water. They had a large number of internal parasites and they had various open wounds. Some donkeys had rain scald, one had a bleeding sarcoid and all the donkeys were treated for lice infestations. The Donkey Sanctuary worked closely with the Department of Agriculture over the last number of months to help bring this case to a successful conclusion."
    http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.ie/node/556

As Government web sits go its very good. The issue is a data one where mst district courts do not have the resources to put their lists up. The site is very easy to navigate for information on all high court cases (except family and asylum) it has a large database of recent high court decisions.

In relation to the legal profession being behind the times on tech, most modern court rooms have very advanced tech in place. In any High Court a large number of lawyers will be using iPads and it won't be long before the Judges are getting the papers to view on iPads.

Most HC registrars get the papers emailed to them, so they cn create the order there and then in court. Through tech most registrars are able to continue with their office works while in court.

It should also be remembered that the total cost of all courts in the country including wages and capital is about 110 million, the courts produce income in stamp duty etc. of 50 million and criminal fines levied and collected 16 million, leaving 44 million costs to the state, which I think is very good considering its a national organisation.

As Government web sits go its very good. The issue is a data one where mst district courts do not have the resources to put their lists up. The site is very easy to navigate for information on all high court cases (except family and asylum) it has a large database of recent high court decisions.

In relation to the legal profession being behind the times on tech, most modern court rooms have very advanced tech in place. In any High Court a large number of lawyers will be using iPads and it won't be long before the Judges are getting the papers to view on iPads.

Most HC registrars get the papers emailed to them, so they cn create the order there and then in court. Through tech most registrars are able to continue with their office works while in court.

It should also be remembered that the total cost of all courts in the country including wages and capital is about 110 million, the courts produce income in stamp duty etc. of 50 million and criminal fines levied and collected 16 million, leaving 44 million costs to the state, which I think is very good considering its a national organisation.

But, but, but... the Daily Mail said........

• Advertisement

O so true, the only issue now is you can add all and I mean all news media to that statement.

But is the daily mail available for digital download to an iPad running Linux?

O so true, the only issue now is you can add all and I mean all news media to that statement.

Dont like the new Indo layout neither then? :D

But is the daily mail available for digital download to an iPad running Linux?

I'm sure OP uses RSS feed. But I couldnt be sure, I'm way out of touch. Practically a dinosaur.

Despite this spending, something as simple as a schedule published online in beyond them. Do they still have wigs and cloaks? :D

They should flog some on eBay and reallocate their resources.

You've never actually sat in on a court case and you're asserting the legal profession is 'out of touch'. Is it just one shoulder you have a chip on?

Only when I'm half right.;)

Despite this spending, something as simple as a schedule published online in beyond them. Do they still have wigs and cloaks? :D

Wigs are essentially gone and were purchased, for the most part, privately. I've no issue with someone stating an opinion and backing it up even if I feel its wrong. It's clear your opinion, however, is based on nothing more than the courts website isn't as fancy as you'd like.

So anyway, enough of the jibes and banter.
    There is no easy way to find what I want? Just ring around the relevant DC phone numbers?
    I better not ask if there's a toll free number.

Wow, a technology hipster!

It may sound cool, but most IT professionals are glorified typists.

What does a wig or a gown have to do with anything. I payed for my own and wear them with pride why should I sell them to pay for a state website.

Ireland had a full searchable website for all post independence statutes years before the UK, it's an invaluable site for both citizen and lawyer.

• Advertisement

Despite this spending, something as simple as a schedule published online in beyond them.

But they do have a schedule published. It's called the legal diary. It just doesnt make much sense to do it for the district court where cases can last 2 minutes and there can be hundreds. Why schedule billy because he didnt display his NCT cert!??

The next days cases:
    http://www.courts.ie/legaldiary.nsf/0/15122677a21445ca80257b13003bbaf9/$FILE/Legal%20Diary%20Part%201%20180213.pdf

The following weeks cases in advance:
    http://www.courts.ie/legaldiary.nsf/0/15122677a21445ca80257b13003bbaf9/$FILE/Legal%20Diary%20Part%202%20180213.pdf

Oh and, I know the site is crap and stuff, but if you had just clicked the "legal diary" button which is kindly highlighted on the right hand side, you would see that it clearly says "[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Lists of cases for hearing in the District Court are available from the relevant [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]District Court Office[/FONT]".

[/FONT]

So anyway, enough of the jibes and banter.
    There is no easy way to find what I want? Just ring around the relevant DC phone numbers?
    I better not ask if there's a toll free number.

If its north cork it's more than likely District 20, yes you can use that ancient tech the phone and ring Mallow District court and use that ancient communication tool the mouth to ask a question. (I am amazed lawyers still use their mouth). The court should be able to tell you when the case is on, if its a jury trial it would be cork circuit court, there is a possibility it's district 19 which is cork city district court, all numbers are on the web site, so maybe 3 calls to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

Just popped in for some intelligent info and informed discussion and all I see is a bitching session.

Just popped in for some intelligent info and informed discussion and all I see is a bitching session.

Irony level: Expert
    Thanks Whore level ???

What else do you expect from boards!?

F*ck off, it's Saturday! I dont do intelligence on Saturdays :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

And there was I thinking ye were all reserved legal types.

And there was I thinking ye were all reserved legal types.

Kings Inn on Bolton street after they've been dining...

But they do have a schedule published. It's called the legal diary. It just doesnt make much sense to do it for the district court where cases can last 2 minutes and there can be hundreds. Why schedule billy because he didnt display his NCT cert!??

The next days cases:
    http://www.courts.ie/legaldiary.nsf/0/15122677a21445ca80257b13003bbaf9/$FILE/Legal%20Diary%20Part%201%20180213.pdf

The following weeks cases in advance:
    http://www.courts.ie/legaldiary.nsf/0/15122677a21445ca80257b13003bbaf9/$FILE/Legal%20Diary%20Part%202%20180213.pdf

Oh and, I know the site is crap and stuff, but if you had just clicked the "legal diary" button which is kindly highlighted on the right hand side, you would see that it clearly says "[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Lists of cases for hearing in the District Court are available from the relevant [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]District Court Office[/FONT]".

[/FONT]

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Apologies for the smart comments and ranting. Didn't mean to offend; just some wind-ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

he is not a regular try to be funny when not like you

Advertisement