Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence question

• 04-05-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

A quick one, My dad got his licence approval and went down the post office and paid it. My question is can he go to the gun shop with the receipt and pick up his gun or does he have to wait for the actual licence?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Some dealers allow/do it, but technically he has not got the license he has a grant letter only. I always say it doesn't hurt to wait the few days to get the actual license, and then collect.

Up to the dealer really. The grant letter says the license was granted, and the receipt shows the fee was paid so the license coming is only a formality.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

If its his first rifle or first in that caliber the dealer won't know legally how many rounds he is allowed to sell your father and if your father is allowed a moderator for that rifle or not so best wait a few days and everyone will know whats what.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

Cheers lads, it's a shot gun he has, I'd say he may wait till next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I've collected my last few guns with the grant letter and receipt but as other posters have said, it's best to wait a few days for the licence. It usually only takes three or four days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Hunter21 wrote: »
    If its his first rifle or first in that caliber the dealer won't know legally how many rounds he is allowed to sell your father and if your father is allowed a moderator for that rifle or not so best wait a few days and everyone will know whats what.
    I tend to buy ammo in every shop i go into just to spend a few quid there as the ammo will be used anyway, im yet to meet a dealer in this country who ever asked about my ammo limit and as i have 2 licences back to back in the plastic slip they have never taken them out to check ether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

I tend to buy ammo in every shop i go into just to spend a few quid there as the ammo will be used anyway, im yet to meet a dealer in this country who ever asked about my ammo limit and as i have 2 licences back to back in the plastic slip they have never taken them out to check ether

Some don't even look at the licence.

Heard one fella when asked for his licence "sure it's on your computer so it is", and off he walked with .223 ammo.

Thereis 1 or 2 places i dont get asked for the licence anymore but thats because they know me, wouldnt think that would be done if the person was not known in the shop. Hope not anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

Thereis 1 or 2 places i dont get asked for the licence anymore but thats because they know me, wouldnt think that would be done if the person was not known in the shop. Hope not anyway!

Do they not have to write it into the book?

I've never been asked about my ammo limit

I think they are ment to, was in a shop yesterday and he said if they do ever get around to checking the flick through the book and never read it

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

There's one fella near me who fills in his book like a monk writing a feckin scripture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

the grant letter worked for me the dealer took it and it was my first rifle. just give him a ring and ask him. best of luck with the new gun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thereis 1 or 2 places i dont get asked for the licence anymore but thats because they know me,........!
    Do they not have to write it into the book?
    On those two points. Every dealer will write it into his book. Whether that is done in front of you or when you leave or even at the end of the day. They get in ammo, and must account for every round sold and to whom. They would not risk their license by not having completed logs should they get inspected by An Gardai.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement