Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tales of the Abyss

• 14-01-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

I just picked this game up for my 3DS two days ago and I haven't seen a thread here about it so I decided to make one.

First off, this is my first Tales of game so my standards for the series may be lower than what some of the veterans here might be expecting from the series. Having said that though, I'm really enjoying it so far. It reminds me a bit of the FF from PSOne era in a nostalgic sort of way.

The combat feels pretty fluid and fun. I really haven't had a full chance to play around with the various Cores and abilities (and I suspect I won't until my second playthrough) but it seems like there's a nice bit of depth to character leveling and progression.

Storywise it seems solid so far. I'm only around three hours in. I hate Luke and I'm pretty sure the developers wanted me to hate him. Rest of the cast seems pretty solid and the voice acting is actually quite good (well apart from MEU, who I guess was meant to be annoying). As a JRPG player I can obviously see the cliches of amnesia etc but I'm actually interested to see where the plot is progressing.

So far, I like the game and hope it continues to deliver for me. If it does then I will seriously be thinking about buying Tales of Innocence F on ps3 later this year and hope that Namco bites through the Microsoft money and brings Vesperia to PS3 as well.

What do you guys think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

I beat the ps2 original and I'm slowly making my way through the 3DS version. I thought it was quite good. I know luke is meant to be unlikable but I kept playing abyss when other tales games I've played have bored me in the first five hours.
    On Tales of graces F the story's meant to be naff because the protagonists are kids but supposedly the fighting is some the best the series ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Mind if I ask where did you get it? Been looking for it for ages.

It's sold out most places online but there copies knocking about in gamestops. There's going to be a reprint this month too.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

megaten wrote: »
    I beat the ps2 original and I'm slowly making my way through the 3DS version. I thought it was quite good. I know luke is meant to be unlikable but I kept playing abyss when other tales games I've played have bored me in the first five hours.
    On Tales of graces F the story's meant to be naff because the protagonists are kids but supposedly the fighting is some the best the series ever seen.

I think it's the fact that Luke is such a prick that makes you play more and more. As I've said I'm only at the start but stuff like
    luke being scared of killing people
    really develop the character nicely and I look forward to seeing more of such developments.

Oh damn, having kids as protagonist doesn't sound very appealing but will give the game a try. Hopefully they bring Xillia over, there was some serious hype in Japan about it.

@martineatworld: I bought it at gamestop in Midleton and they had lots of copies there. I know I searched for it in cork and only gamestop planned to have the game within a few weeks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

megaten wrote: »

Was the ps2 version released in europe?I don't think it was ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope, never got an EU release.

Was the ps2 version released in europe?I don't think it was ?

I modded my ps2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ah sweet,wish I'd done the same

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

i am around 12 hours in and loving it its a good reason to have a 3DS its the only game i played that the 3D really looks great and Luke is just a legend just love it when he goes on his rants ands starts kicking the crap out of Meu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Guy is one of the funniest characters I have every come across. Weirdest one too.

• Advertisement

I seen this on the us psn think I might get

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's worth noting that the PS2 game has some god awful load times so might be worth getting the 3DS version.

I seen this on the us psn think I might get

Go for the 3ds version if you have one. The frame rate in the world map can go into single digits.

Advertisement