Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West General Election

• 11-01-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Thought it'd be good to have a big thread instead of small ones.

So who's the confirmed candidates?

Fianna Fáil:
    Eamon O'Cuiv
    Frank Fahey
    Michael Crowe

Fine Gael:
    Brian Walsh
    Fidelma Healy Eames
    Sean Kyne
    Hildegarde Naughton

Labour:
    Derek Nolan

Sinn Féin:
    Trevor Ó Clochartaigh
    and Thomas Welby and Joe McNamara added to my OP in the Galway West Election Superthread

Greens:
    Niall O'Brolchain(don't know if this is confirmed or not)

Independents:
    Catherine Connolly
    Noel Grealish
    Mike Cubbard
    Eamon Walsh
    Thomas Welby
    Joe McNamara
    Thomas King

Who are you considering voting for?
    Who do you think will get elected? (5 seater)
    Who do you like/dislike and why?

I'll be voting for the SF candidate first and Connolly and Nolan to get my preferences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Is Michael D stepping down?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Who's even in the running to be SF candidate? It's a bit short notice to be calling it in with an election looking like being 9-10 weeks away.

All told, it's a pretty ****ing depressing list of candidates with O'Cuiv (sic) as the only one who can have any degree of confidence, and that's mainly due to the pension not being hit and the general foibles of Connemara.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

píss poor choice.
    The only one that inspires any confidence for me is Catherine Connolly. Otherwise as SpongeBob said it's just musical chairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

TBH it is a prettey dismal list.
    FF (scum)will never get a vote off me.
    I have no confidence in any of those FG candidates.
    Nolan has no experience.
    I think O Brolchain is a clown.
    It appears Michael D is not running.

The only one there I think may be anyway OK is Connolly, but that is 1 possible seat out of 5.

Very dissapoiting for Galway west IMO, however I might vote in such a way to try and kick FF espically Fahey out, so might have no choice to vote FG................Perhaps the lesser of two evils:mad: but saying that things were not much better in the 80's when FG and Labour shared power and there was no banking crisis.

A no win election and everyone of those is only after €92k a year and does not give a fcuk about any of us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

After reading that first post I feel like the coach of the Pygmy Basketball Team trying to make a rousing motivational speech at the London Olympics :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

eagle10 wrote: »
    Is Michael D stepping down?

He's running for presidential candidacy AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I think that O'Cuiv is definately there. He is very popular among Fianna Fail voters and in Connemara in general.

Grealish will probably get there also. Even though he just pipped Margaret Cox for the 5th seat in 2002, he managed to double his 1st pref votes in 2007.

With McCormack not running, if Healy-Eames maintains her improved vote from the 2002 election to the 2007 election, she may get one of the 3 remaining seats but there is no clear leader among the FG candidates and a lot will rely on transfers.

Michael D was very popular and commanded a lot of votes from non-labour votes - it will be interesting to see how many of Michael D's votes Derek Nolan can pick up.

Michael Crowe was unlucky last time not to oust Frank Fahey and will probably poll better this time round. Catherine Connolly could be the dark horse here - she received 2000 1st preference votes last time round, and with a lot of disallusionment in Fianna Fail & Fine Gael, I think she has a chance of picking up the last seat. I would like to see her elected.

Sinn Fein are leaving it very late to pick a candidate - to have a chance they should be out campaigning already.

Votes & Results from previous elections: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galway_West_(D%C3%A1il_%C3%89ireann_constituency)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

A lot of Michael D voters may be tempted to vote CC, DN and CC might even end up splitting the vote with potential negatives for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What's the best way to make sure Crowe and Fahey don't get elected?

O Cuiv will and to be honest I don't mind him as much as if anyone in FF is honest, it's him.

So, how do we make sure the other 2 don't get in?

It's trickier since Michael D isn't running.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

What is C.Connolly's stance regarding the Galway By Pass?
    Thought i read somewhere before that she is opposed to it, but i'm open to correction. If she is, i'll be adding her to the long list of people i won't be voting for.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    Thought i read somewhere before that she is opposed to it.
    Guilty As Charged
    Independent Cllr Catherine Connolly proposed a motion calling for “urgent and immediate
    steps be taken” to establish bus routes on the Western Distributor Road. She also called for
    “clarification and updates” on when bus routes will be established on the Seamus Quirke Road.

The motion was supported and passed by all councillors but the discussion led to a debate
    on the controversial proposed Galway City Outer Bypass.

Cllr Connolly said the bypass would cost some €300 million and that this was “a waste of money”.
    She said if “a fraction of that” was spent on bus priority measures, and on increased bus services,
    there would be no need for the bypass.

She also said the bypass would not reduce traffic in Galway city and was really only about opening up
    land for development.

However Fine Gael Cllr Brian Walsh said it was “nonsensical” of Cllr Connolly to suggest the
    bypass would not alleviate traffic congestion.

“People visiting Connemara from the east or south of the country have to come through the
    city to do so,” he said.

What is C.Connolly's stance regarding the Galway By Pass?
    Thought i read somewhere before that she is opposed to it, but i'm open to correction. If she is, i'll be adding her to the long list of people i won't be voting for.

I hope you're not a one-issue swing voter. We need smart voting this time.

PomBear wrote: »
    I hope you're not a one-issue swing voter. We need smart voting this time.

That is a vital issue for the City, so i don't want anyone elected that can do the cause any damage.

That is a vital issue for the City, so i don't want anyone elected that can do the cause any damage.

but we need to be voting for politicians who are looking to what they can do on the national level. Local politics shouldn't really come into it.

Isn't that what Frank Fahy's campaigners say?

but we need to be voting for politicians who are looking to what they can do on the national level. Local politics shouldn't really come into it.
    This is not a parish pump issue.
    We can't ignore an issue that affects thousands of people.

This is not a parish pump issue.
    We can't ignore an issue that affects thousands of people.

true but it's a local issue not a national issue therefore it's not an issue for TDs, it's an issue for councillors.

Fail to run a city properly today, fail to run a country properly tomorrow.

Derek Nolan is no better may I add. There is no SPACE to improve public transport UNTIL the bypass is built no matter how much wind and piss Connolly and Nolan spout on the matter. :( The worst of all is the other C Connolly

http://www.galwayindependent.com/profiles/profiles/derek-nolan-%11-incoming-city-councillor/
    I think the bypass is just a diversion tactic and is distracting from the many other things that could be done to improve the traffic situation in the city."

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/mcnelis-keen-on-dail-run/

McNelis is better, proving that the left are not all morons like the Greens in Galway.
    “And, if that means a bypass, them I am in favour of a bypass. That is my opinion. I think it will create jobs and get the city moving. There have been too many mistakes made in the past

The Bypass is a vital issue, the lack of it strangles not only Galway City but all of West Galway. Nobody anywhere in the City and Connemara can say they are not affected by this mess.

Could have just guessed she was against it, she cycles everywhere.

Fine for her but I don't feel like getting drenched in this rain soaked country of ours.

Shes always been against the Air Show too, I wasn't going to vote for her in the local elections if she went for that anyway. Too many of them are against anything positive for the city.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Fail to run a city properly today, fail to run a country properly tomorrow.

The only people that i'm concerned with getting a bypass built is the transport minister and the county council.

Once you go into local issues on TDs, it's no different that voting for a TD who fixed a pothole for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭seanin4711

snubbleste wrote: »
    píss poor choice.
    The only one that inspires any confidence for me is Catherine Connolly. Otherwise as SpongeBob said it's just musical chairs.

Catherine- "I like to say No to everything" Connolly no wonder the country is in the state it is!

Isn't that what Frank Fahy's campaigners say?

He is one person i definitely would not vote for.

true but it's a local issue not a national issue therefore it's not an issue for TDs, it's an issue for councillors.

The elected Government can decide what does or does not get built.;)

The elected Government can decide what does or does not get built.;)

The elected county council will do what's best for Galway. The elected Dáil will do what's best for Ireland. We should vote accordingly.

The elected county council will do what's best for Galway. The elected Dáil will do what's best for Ireland. We should vote accordingly.

The elected council can do feck all without the elected Government providing them with the funds.

The elected council can do feck all without the elected Government providing them with the funds.

true but it's the council who put their case for such ideas before the government. TDs should be focused on national politics and we should not be giving them an excuse to promote parish pump politics by voting for them on local issues.

He is one person i definitely would not vote for.

What if he was the only candidate in favour of the bypass?

true but it's the council who put their case for such ideas before the government. TDs should be focused on national politics and we should not be giving them an excuse to promote parish pump politics by voting for them on local issues.

The bypass is not exactly parish pump politics, it's a vital piece of National infrastructure. I considered giving NOB a vote last time until he came out opposed to the road, he even used official mayor headed paper to lodge an objection. I imagine anyone with views like that would use the bigger platform to reinforce their personal objectives.

What if he was the only candidate in favour of the bypass?

Thankfully he is not :cool:

• Advertisement

The bypass is not exactly parish pump politics, it's a vital piece of National infrastructure. I considered giving NOB a vote last time until he came out opposed to the road, he even used official mayor headed paper to lodge an objection. I imagine anyone with views like that would use the bigger platform to reinforce their personal objectives.

but the bypass is far from what is in the national interest to get this country back on track, I think we need our TDs to have their minds on national interest and not what's good for their constituency.

Advertisement