Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

• 16-03-2008 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

With Game-Stop selling the Xbox original at €20 a pop why not set yourself up with the ultimate home media centre system aka XBMC for free, you'll wonder how you ever managed without it, you also of course are able to use it as a gaming system too if you ever get time after watching all the stuff you have ;)

I've put together this guide which I hope you might find useful.
    This should work for every Xbox original, it doesn't matter what version it is.

Warning: This will invalidate you warranty!!, messing about with electrical goods is dangerous, do not try this unless you are sure you know what your doing!!
    If you kill your Xbox I ain't taking the blame baby, its your choice!!

Ok first of all here's a check list of stuff you need for this project :-

1) Xbox original (doh!)
    2) Pc with IDE hdd connections
    3) Torx 20 screwdriver
    4) Blank cd and burner
    5) Ndure-3.1.rar - get it from Xbins using Auto Xbins - browse to /XBOX/Console Based Applications/exploits/_Packages/Kingroachs Installer/
    6) xboxhdm_v1.9.zip - Get it from here
    7) Iso Recorder - download it here
    8) Latest T3ch build of XBMC - here - XBMC 8.10 Final - Atlantis Build. Fill in the verification box to download
    9) An ftp browser, I like Filezilla
    10) Slight update, I've noticed the last few Xbox's I've done with this method there has been issues because the console hasn't been on the latest, or Live-Enabled dashboard. It might alleviate potential problems if you use a later era game, & use the XBL settings to Live-Enable the console if not already done, & then proceed with the mod [EnterNow]

Ok lets get started.

1) Unpack the ndure,xboxhdm and xbmc files and install Iso Recorder.

2) Fire up the Xbox and got to Settings > System Info and find out what kernel your box is running (the line starting with K:X.XX...) :-

kernal_5101.jpg
    My Xbox is running kernel 5101

3) Now run Ndure, check everything except in the kernel selection box - make sure to select the correct version you noted down in the previous step.

ndure.jpg

When the wizard prompts you where to save to, choose the xboxhdm\linux folder you unpacked in step one above.

4) Now copy the ndure.txt file attached to this post to \xboxhdm\linux\ndure and remove the extension, just should be called "ndure", delete the ndure.htm file in there.

5) Go to the main xboxhdm folder and double click make-iso-win.bat and wait for it to do its thing. When its done you should have a new linux.iso file in you xboxhdm folder. If you installed Iso recorder earlier all you need to do is just double click it and burn.

linux.jpg

Ok, now for the fun stuff,

6) Copy a music track to the Xbox hard drive and remove the cd and switch off the Xbox

7) Take off the cover making sure to remove all 6 screws, if its very tight you didn't remove all six!

six_screws.jpg

Unscrew the hdd holder (underneath the ide cable) and unscrew the drive.

lid_off.jpg

8) Boot the Xbox up and start playing the track you recorded to the hdd earlier and then press pause (also make sure there is no cd/dvd in the Xbox dvd drive) . This unlocks the hard drive and is essential.

9) Boot the pc up off the cd you burned earlier, when you get to the screen below disconnect the ide cable from the Xbox to its hdd and connect the pc ide cable to it (must be connected to the end of the cable).

***IMPORTANT*** - The Xbox hard drive MUST be connected to the primary ide cable at the end otherwise it wont be seen by xboxhdm (cd rom on the secondary ide cable)

connect_hdd.jpg

****NOW HOTSWAP THE DRIVE****

hdd_pc.jpg

Now select option 1, if it complains about resolution, ignore it and hit the spacebar to continue.

Now type xbrowser

All going well you should see the screen below (sorry for poor quality)

install_ndure.jpg

Choose ndure, hit enter and select ndure on the next screen too.

Choose option 1 to install ndure.
    It will complain that no backup was done and will then backup the existing hdd image and then will copy over the ndure files.
    This takes about 5-10 minutes and nothing happens on the screen. Go get a cup of coffee and wait for it to say its finished.

10) Connect the hdd back to the xbox ide cable and power it off.
    Power it back on, all going well you'll get the standard Xbox boot screen followed by UnleashX.

unleashx.jpg

If you got this far, time to get excited, the end is in sight!!
    Note : the power light goes orange in modded boot. If you press the eject button when its off it will boot to the standard Xbox screen, pretty cool eh ?
    Note the IP address on the bottom left of the screen.

11) Ok now to put XBMC on there, you have two choices, either install it as an application in Unleash X or to install it so it boots directly to XMBC itself, probably the most common choice.

Fireup your ftp browser and go to the Xbox IP using user : pass as xbox:xbox and port 21.

If you want to install XBMC as an app in UnleashX copy the entire contents of the XMBC folder you unpacked earlier to e:\apps

If you want the Xbox to boot straight to XMBC (preferred by most) just copy the entire contents of the XMBC folder to e:\dash (good idea to back up the files there in case something goes wrong) choosing yes to any overwrite prompts.

xbmc_copyover.jpg

Ok, now for the moment of truth.............

Power off the Xbox and reboot..if you see the image below...have fun - you just got the best media centre money can buy..for the princely sum of 20 yoyo's!!

success.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rosboy

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Fantastic guide! Really does make it sound easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks o1s1n, its nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be initially.
    XBMC really is incredible, I cannot imagine not having it now, it really is that good and at 20 euro, you've nothing to loose by installing it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Tazer

Can this play games from the HDD?

*********************IMPORTANT*****************************************
    If you have a very old version (4XXX) of the dash then this softmod may not work.

kernal_5101.jpg
    My dash is 5960

If it is very old, then you can update it by either playing one of the later Xbox 1 games or by playing online , either will auto update your dash.

4034 dash is known not to work at all with this softmod so MUST be updated.

Here's a few screen caps from the box I modded today (see http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=Default_Controls#Xbox_Controller for how to make a screen cap and other stuff)

Homepage while stuff is playing

home1.jpg

What shall I listen to next..

music.jpg

Maybe I'll watch a film..

films.jpg

Or maybe a TV Show..

tvshows.jpg

Whats the weather forecast?

weather.jpg

When playing music I can have some pretty cool visual effects

visualisations.jpg

Most formats are supported

visualisations1.jpg

• Advertisement

Tazer wrote: »
    Can this play games from the HDD?

Erm, that would be an ecumenical question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

well i would recommend connecting the chassis ox the xbox to the pc chassis by somthing metal or else you could have a lot of static floating around. also one some machines this just wont work in my experience, might try it again though even though ive already bought splinter cell and hacked myself action replay
    ive seen it work with a 3.5 inch ide enclosure before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

great post man , i still have two xbox's in the house and i might give this a try on one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

XBMC is possibly the greatest example of what is possible when enough geeks get together to work on something for the benefit of all.

it will play ANYTHING you throw at it (except HD video, the CPU and memory aren't quite up to it) and oddly enough kvcd's due to a slight incompatability with the media player, but aside from that, anything goes.

connect it to your home network and quite literally the world is your oyster. I don't know anyone who has one who would go back to using anything else.

Add to that the component video cables you can get on ebay and you can set XBMC to NTSC mode and up the video resolution of the GUI to 1080i and it will even upscale DVD's and DivX's to that too, you just can't beat it, and for 20 notes, why on earth would you? :D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Holy crap awesome guide! :)

I have an orginal xbox with a busted dvd drive and no controllers....

Is there anyway I could make this work? The controller ports are usb right? so i could wire a usb socket onto one of them?

Maybe I will just buy a more working xbox :p But it would be nice to make this one work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

Super guide Longfield. Good to see many people using the ole XBOX with XBMC.

Edit: A mis-read of the thanks system can make it read very different!!

If you have music on the Xbox hdd then yep you could install XBMC on there no probs, you could pick up an xbox remote for a tenner from Game-Stop I think.

Tbh, I never use the remote I have, the normal gamepad can do so much stuff in XBMC I prefer to use it instead.

That said for €20 I'd just keep your current one for spairs and buy one from Game-Stop, you won't regret the purchase for one second once you get XBMC on there :)

ongarite wrote: »
    Super guide Longfield. Good to see many people using the ole XBOX with XBMC.

Edit: A mis-read of the thanks system can make it read very different!!

Thank YOU, here have a thanks thing from me!, you helped me a lot with the first Xbox I modded.

i have the same thing to say about ongarite :)

although i couldnt make the hotswap work on my last xbox (which i then broke trying to install a modchip and ongarite saved me)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Longfield, GameStop should be paying you commission :D I modded mine with the XBOX action replay because I don't have a desktop pc. XBMC is good but I don't share your huge positivity for it lads. I don't have mine hooked up to my wireless Eircom modem that's probably why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Has any one ever replaced the hard drive with a bigger one? Can you recomend any good guides for doing it? Cheers

This should be useful :- http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/203286

Guide isnt the easiest to follow but uses pretty much the same stuff I used in the guide above, only real difference is that you copy the xbox c and e drives to xboxhdm linux folder (overwriting the existing ones) and copy the eeprom.bin (go to programs in XBMC and browse to the ntds folder and load up Unleash X and you can backup your eeprom.bin in that to the hdd) .

Then when you boot off the cd connect your new large drive and install xbox filesystem (its one of the options on the cd boot screen).

I'm half thinking of doing it myself, if I do, I'll probably document the process here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Can you suggest a good lockable hard drive to replace the one in the xbox with?

VanZan wrote: »
    Can you suggest a good lockable hard drive to replace the one in the xbox with?

Here ya go, more compatible drives than you can shake a stick at:-

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list&sort=dateadded&desc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thanks Longfield!

Btw i came across this when i was searching through Longfields link, seems to be a really detailed FAQ about xbox modding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

:(

All i am getting when i try to xbrowser is:

root@Xbox-HDM:/1 xbrowser
    Looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hda...
    Looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hdb...
    No disk drive found on /dev/hda
    Please connect a drive and try again!

We will now search /dev/hda for an xbox partition table.....

No xbox-partition table found on /dev/hda

Done!!!
    root@Xbox-HDM:/3

:pac:

Edit: this is what happens when you miss a step and dont check your kernel version. I am stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

is the media stored on the hard drive [do u ftp it ?]

Only use i can see is if i was able to stream media to it, i know its possible with XBMC, have u tried that OP?

You can stream media to xbmc win a cat5 and a little setting up on the xp side. Vista can be a bitch though!!

:(

All i am getting when i try to xbrowser is:

root@Xbox-HDM:/1 xbrowser
    Looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hda...
    Looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hdb...
    No disk drive found on /dev/hda
    Please connect a drive and try again!

We will now search /dev/hda for an xbox partition table.....

No xbox-partition table found on /dev/hda

Done!!!
    root@Xbox-HDM:/3

:pac:

Edit: this is what happens when you miss a step and dont check your kernel version. I am stupid.

Nope thats not it, are you connecting to the primary ide controller at the end of the cable, and did you pause the playback on the Xbox before hotswapping the drive?

Also, are you sure the drive is being detected at all, reboot the pc and go into th bios and see if the drive is there, first time I did this I hadn't connected the cable right and couldn't figure what the problem was until I tried again , next time making sure the cable was pushed home.

Everything is streamed, it all just works perfectly over your lan.
    Make sure to share the source though, I created a user with name xbox and pass xbox for each media share and set this up as the default in network settings (smb) on XMBC.

Yep i paused the playback on the jimi hendrix file (not cd)

Using an IDE on primary for the CD Drive
    And am using another seperate xbox IDE cable for the PC to xbox connection.

Drive is being detected

Your cd drive should be on the secondary ide controller and the hdd the only thing on the primary ide controller, it wont be detected otherwise (its really frustrating I know).
    I'll edit the guide to make that clearer, should have said that.

K i tried swapping them the other way around and im getting the same thing. I cant understand how its not detecting the cd drive when thats what im booting off.

Edit: what master slave settings should i be using on the cd drive?
    it was on slave, trying again

im having probs myself, just gonna wait for splinter cell

• Advertisement

Its working now. Longfield is the master, what my drive should have been set to.

Advertisement