Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL DRAFT 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Team          SOS
     1    Indianapolis    0.5391
     2    St. Louis        0.5898
     3    Minnesota        0.5586
     4    Cleveland        0.5313
     5    Tampa Bay      0.5508
     6    Washington      0.4766
     7    Jacksonville      0.5000
     8*   Carolina          0.5039
     8*   Miami            0.5039
    10    Buffalo          0.5195
    11**  Kansas City    0.5117
    11**  Seattle          0.5117
    13    Arizona          0.4688
    14    Dallas            0.4727
    15    Philadelphia     0.4883
    16    New York Jets  0.5000
    17    Oakland          0.5039
    (Traded to Cincinnati)
    18    San Diego       0.5156
    19    Chicago          0.5273
    20    Tennessee       0.4609

* Coin flip between Carolina and Miami to determine 8th and 9th picks
    ** Coin flip between Kansas City and Seattle to determine 11th and 12 picks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Never have I been happier to lose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Syferus wrote: »
    I think you can put Romo and Austin above 90% of the league and Bryant clearly has the talent to be the same. Their running game is a combination of talent but ti's hard to think that having a very effective run game (when their FB is healthy) is much of a weakness over having to rely simply on a Christ Johnson or Adrian Peterson for productions.

If the Cowboys win this weekend they have all the tools they need to win the NFC, they're perhaps the only NFC team that actually has the balance that would be able to keep up with the Packers and Saints offensively as well as the 49ers defensively. The same goes for the Patriots in the AFC, indeed only the Steelers have the same balance the Cowboys do and they've managed to win two Superbowls and reach three in the past 6 years.

It's just inexplicable errors that cost them, which is something that's very hard to get your head around because they can play Superbowl-caliber football for 59 minutes and 30 seconds and then choke and throw away games they have no right losing.

They're record was 8-8 the epitome of average imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Xfire Elect

Pretty much every mock draft has Luke Kuechly going to the eagles, and I see it as a perfect fit. We need a linebacker to help us stop the run, and from what I've seen of Kuechly, he's a beast. Slot in straight away. The more pressing matter is his name, and how to pronounce it.

Another linebacker would be useful, Travis Lewis from Oklahoma could be a handy pick, but a safety is really needed, probably via the free agent market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Anyone know if Cliff Harris is going to declare for the draft after being suspended by Oregon at the start of the season? He was rated very highly at one stage but went off the rails a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

By the way, the Rams are trading whatever pick they get, #1 or #2. With Barkley gone RG3 is going to worth an even larger bounty to the plentiful number of teams desperate for a franchise QB.

Why would anyone want to trade with the Rams? So that they jump ahead of the Vikings who are 100% not going to pick RGIII? There's no team that will offer the Rams picks when they can just offer the Vikings a lesser deal in the next spot. As long as the likes of Washington or Miami get in before Cleveland they're grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to trade with the Rams? So that they jump ahead of the Vikings who are 100% not going to pick RGIII? There's no team that will offer the Rams picks when they can just offer the Vikings a lesser deal in the next spot. As long as the likes of Washington or Miami get in before Cleveland they're grand

you trade with the Rams to stop other teams from doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

McG wrote: »
    you trade with the Rams to stop other teams from doing the same.

I dunno,I just thought if Miami and Washington were going to get into a bidding war then they would just have the sense to do it at spot 3 where it'll cost them less. I hope to god the Rams do trade out because then Matt Kalil will fall to 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

davyjose wrote: »
    9th in yards per game, 12th in points per game. Austin is a half decent WR, Romo is a QB with all the tools in the world, but an inability to utilize them when needed. Bryant looks a talent, but has a long way to go to become elite. Running game is ok. But ultimately there is a distinct average-ness about the Cowboys.

You're in dreamland comparing them to both the best Offense and Defense in the NFC. And if (big if) they make the playoffs, they're a one and done team. Which, in fairness, is nothing new.

I think with the Cowboys and as a Boys fan its about the OLine

Colombo sucked , Costa Sucks, Holland isnt reliable , Dockery could go in Free Agency and Tryon Smith is a beast

We have to draft Dave DeCAStro or Reiff or J Martin , all could make sense even Peter Konz and play him at Guard and then at Centre ...we could draft twice on the Oline . A CB would be nice but a Stephon Gilmore could be got later

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I dunno,I just thought if Miami and Washington were going to get into a bidding war then they would just have the sense to do it at spot 3 where it'll cost them less. I hope to god the Rams do trade out because then Matt Kalil will fall to 3

I think the cost to the Rams of not getting Kalil is greater than the kings ranson they can get ....with a talent like Kalil protecting Bradford suddenly everytjing looks possible where with Reiff/Martin or someone else there is a bust factor

The Vikes need a Kalil or a Blackmon but the kings ransom they would get to allow whomever of Washington / Miami etc to pick RG3 would outweigh the benefit of the pick with Kalil gone and good recievers still out there

This is where Cleveland is the wild card....Jason Lacanfora and Adam Schefter have speculated that perhaps 4 1st round picks might be needed for Luck and RG3 may be the same or not much less.

Cleveland will have 2 x 2012 1st rounders and 2013 and 2014 1st rounder ...swapping their first 1st rounder in 2011 with a Washington will be a No 4 pick so they would be in the front seat to gain picks or try and move 1 or two places upwards for RG3 themselves

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    What would you think of Vontaze Burfict either, Mike? Been looking at some videos of him on YouTube and he looks interesting. Seems to be heading to the Ravens on many mock drafts as Hightower is projected to go a few places higher.

Could be more trouble than he's worth mind, apparently he has headbutted an opposing QB, talked shite to every player and official around and many scouts are backing away from him because of it.

I'm sure a kick in the hole from Ray Lewis would sort that though :pac:

This reminds me of Jimmy Smith situation last year ..id be more worried about his work ethic which even his own coaches have been quoted on but if he interviews well with the Ravens some of the mean streak may be liked by them in a way as they have a great locker room for that type of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are not babysitters [not aimed at you neilster]
    Everyone says the vets will keep the others in line but it's not their job

Besides I do not think Ray Lewis will be back next year. Or he'll be limited, horrible just horrible in pass coverage. And Ed Reed cannot tackle
    Sounds like blasphemy to criticize the greats but it's true

Besides Harbaugh tends to bench players for many different reasons. Act up in Baltimore and you'll be in Harbaughs doghouse.

If Vontaze Burfict wants to act up, cause drama and be undisciplined Rex Ryan can take him, he'll fit in there

I want Dont'a Hightower and Ozzie Newsome the GM just loves his 'bama players

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Average?! They have one of the most balanced (and best) offenses in the entire league. With hugely talented receivers like Miles Austin and Dez Bryant, not to mention a new touchdown machine in Laurent Robinson, a very good 1-2 at RB, supplemented by one of the best blocking FBs in the league. Romo is a top-tier QB, below the very elite but still more than good enough to do his fair share and make the opposition respect the pass and then some. On defense you've got among the best line-backing groups in the league in Bradie James, Keith Brooking and DeMarcus Ware.

They underachieve, sure, they've had more talented teams, sure, but it's very hard to say their roster is 'average'.

Cowboys need at least three new offensive line starters and an almost entirely new secondary. When both are poor you're in trouble. Romo is hit and miss, very average when the pressure comes on.

The Lions (my team) will have a lot of trouble this offseason. They're going to have to work out something with Avril and Megatron in terms of contracts. Then they need a new LT (Backus may retire), a RT, two new linebackers (given the number of free agents) and secondary still a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

neilster wrote: »
    I think the cost to the Rams of not getting Kalil is greater than the kings ranson they can get ....with a talent like Kalil protecting Bradford suddenly everytjing looks possible where with Reiff/Martin or someone else there is a bust factor

Totally agree getting Kalil in to protect Bradford and getting in a second WR to go with Llyod in FA would so so much for that offense. Laurent Robinson wont hang around in Dallas as a number 3 id say so that seems like a good fit to me without having to break the bank going for a D Jax or Welker type.

All of a sudden you have Jackson in the backfield , Llyod and Robinson as your widemen a solid #3 in Gibson and Salas or Amendola as your slot guy.

very quickly they can use most of the draft then on defense and the Rams could finally come good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

D3PO wrote: »
    Totally agree getting Kalil in to protect Bradford and getting in a second WR to go with Llyod in FA would so so much for that offense. Laurent Robinson wont hang around in Dallas as a number 3 id say so that seems like a good fit to me without having to break the bank going for a D Jax or Welker type.

All of a sudden you have Jackson in the backfield , Llyod and Robinson as your widemen a solid #3 in Gibson and Salas or Amendola as your slot guy.

very quickly they can use most of the draft then on defense and the Rams could finally come good again.

Robinson was cut by the Rams at the end of last season, couldn't stay healthy when he was there so i doubt either of them would really want a reunion

Vontaze Burfict is Aaron Curry 2.0. Has all the physical ability to be a dominating linebacker but doesn't have the brain or instincts to become one. He has a high chance of busting. 

OAOB wrote: »
    Robinson was cut by the Rams at the end of last season, couldn't stay healthy when he was there so i doubt either of them would really want a reunion

anyway it was just an example.

Plenty of decent WR talent on FA this year. Vincent Jackson, Dwane Bowe, Deion Branch (although getting on a bit) etc. my point being they can get somebody to complement Llyod without having to use draft picks, and with Kalil in that O Line and Jackson in the backfiled they sugddenlty become much better on offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I don't get this Rams stuff. Weren't there people calling for Saffold to be a Pro Bowler last year. He's their left tackle when fit, Smith played right (and was rubbish) when he played tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Giants fan.

Our main area of need will be linebacker, corner back, safety, OL (& depending on free agency maybe running back).

I have seen Lamar Miller from the U mocked to us in the 1st which i think is crazy sort of stuff. Outside of Richardson wouldnt take any of the HB's in the 1st. Personally LaMichael James in the 3rd round would be my addition to the RB's.

Depending in how far we go in play-offs Cordy Glenn (G) or Peter Konz (C) would be a nice addition to o-line in the 1st.

Markelle Martin from Oklahoma or Jonathan Banks from Mississippi would be good addition (if a slight reach) in the 2nd round to upgrade the secondary

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are not babysitters [not aimed at you neilster]
    Everyone says the vets will keep the others in line but it's not their job

Besides I do not think Ray Lewis will be back next year. Or he'll be limited, horrible just horrible in pass coverage. And Ed Reed cannot tackle
    Sounds like blasphemy to criticize the greats but it's true

Besides Harbaugh tends to bench players for many different reasons. Act up in Baltimore and you'll be in Harbaughs doghouse.

If Vontaze Burfict wants to act up, cause drama and be undisciplined Rex Ryan can take him, he'll fit in there

I want Dont'a Hightower and Ozzie Newsome the GM just loves his 'bama players

I can see your point ...there is a tendency to view Baltimore as a place to calm wild things but Jimmy Smiths rep was probably a bit OTT to start off with and Hightower may be graded higher anyway and Newsome as you say does pick from Alabama so all being equal Hightower might be the pick

would the Jets in the middle of the draft pick Hightower? Does he suit their scheme ? A replacement for Pace seems to be their priority. There isnt much pass rush talent this year as opposed to last which might make teams reach for linebackers instead?

neilster wrote: »
    . There isnt much pass rush talent this year as opposed to last which might make teams reach for linebackers instead?

Id say whats more likely to happen is that somebody looks great in the senior bowl and week leading up to it and is reached on as a pass rusher as a result

Similar to how we (The Eagles) seemed to have reached on Brandon Graham for similar reasons a couple of drafts back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Justin10

I like the Nick Perry pick at 18 as we aint going to splash out in FA for a pass rusher.

Burfict and Richardson I believe could turn out to be busts.

Why Richardson?

I dont think he has that break away speed. Also his juke moves etc to get separation are done at a very slow pace.

Dont get me wrong I rate him highly but, I think he is going to be slow.
    Also the main factor to be is the hype behind him. If he doesn't deleiver quickly the pressure will only get worse and worse.

In saying that look at someone like Spiller who has that break away speed but always seems to want to run horizontal then vertical.

Im not saying he is going to be a bust, but I beleive he may well be if taken high, but again like I said I think these two players could tumble down the board.

For instance the Saints taking Ingram, the value was too high to not take him at that spot and I think the same will be said for Richardson.

Thing that will help Richardson is the Coveted Pass rusher which dosnt seem to be many in this draft.

They are his only real weaknesses though. Wouldn't say hes slow either. Certainly not a speedster but not slow either. Is a top 10 prospect in my opinion but I wouldn't draft him there. Too easy to get a late round RB who will get the same production.

I can see what your saying with the hype. I think the same could happen to Luck. He'll be expected to perform great straight away and if he doesn't, the pressure will crank up.

The thing with Luck though is that the Colts where so bad this year that the 2011 year give him time to breathed but as with everything in the NFL that window closes pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Irsay says the Colts will draft Luck #1:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/07/report-irsay-has-already-decided-to-pick-luck/
    The Colts continue their search for a general manager, but the decision regarding what to do with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft may already be made.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen says it is “certain” that Colts owner Jim Irsay has already decided to draft Andrew Luck No. 1 overall. (We’ve learned that declarations about the No. 1 overall draft pick this early can be dangerous.)

The Colts are waiting to find out about Peyton Manning’s health, but Irsay apparently believes Luck is too good to pass up. Irsay sees “symmetry” in having the pick.

In 1983, the Colts drafted John Elway before trading him. 15 years later, the Colts took Peyton Manning. And now 14 years later, they plan to take Luck.

Of course, the Colts are better off saying that Luck is atop their draft board no matter where this goes from here. They could conceivably still trade the pick or Luck if another team gave them a monster offer and if Manning was healthy. Huge if.

We find it odd that an incoming general manager wouldn’t be the one making this decision. Then again, most people interviewing for the job wouldn’t want to pass on Luck either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Luck is pro ready, though, and there's a good chance he'll have at least one bedding in season behind Manning unless Manning's neck is made of glass come March. Luck's in a very good situation in the context of a consensus #1 pick of almost unparalleled hype.

The other question now is how angry Manning is about Irsay jettisoning the Polians and if Irsay saying the Colts are in 'rebuilding mode' will make him want to find a challenger with a hole at QB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Luck is by far the best NFL ready QB in the draft. of course the Colts (who know a little about the importance of having an elite QB) are going to draft him.

I don't think Manning will play again. Why risk his health for a couple years playing for a team in rebuilding mode solely to nurture his replacement? he's a dad, and a multimillionaire. It won't sit well with him retiring, but he could end up severely injured or worse, with one bad hit.

I've dealt with this over the course of the last few months. It's been hard. He's the reason I'm a fan of the game. But there's a silver lining -- Luck, and Irsay's cop on that the Polians were grinding the franchise into the ground -- and I embrace that.

Advertisement