Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LipoTrim Weight Loss - Any advice?

• 25-07-2008 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Has anyone used this Lipotrim meal replacement product? My sister in law was on it for 2 weeks and by the end of it she had lost weight but looked awful. She couldn't sleep, she was getting cramps in her stomach and was having terrible mood swings....although, that may not have been lipotrim!!:p Anyway, she stopped because she has 2 young kids and her energy levels were gone completely. Thing is, when she stopped taking it, she put the weight back on plus more. I checked it out on the net and apparently it was being investigated here but no report on it yet. How is this possible? it should only be used by extremely obese individuals who need assistance. Anyone have advice on it or had a good experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Bad bad idea. I do know a few people who have lost weight on it, but they have all tended to put the weight back on quickly.

It's a very low calorie diet. They are very close-mouthed with the details of what's in the various packets and bars, but I managed to get the details, and most of the meals are under 150 cals each, so three a day is only 450 calories, which is starvation level. The meals themselves aren't even good nutrition, they have a lot of dextrose and maltadextrin (both sugar) and modified maize starch etc. They add a sprinkle of vitamins so they can claim they are balanced. You'd be better off eating proper food and taking a multivitamin and some fish oil.

I'm told the Irish Medicine's board investigated it, but it's sold as a food, so they are not actually breaking any laws, even though the stuff is a total scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As mentioned it is simply a food, so there is nothing anybody can do. I could similarly make sachets with 500kcal of flour in them and sell them strictly to pharmacies and nothing could be done about it. Special K could have ads saying have a bowl a day and NOTHING else, and nothing could be done.

I have to admire the scumbag degenerates for the great idea of restricting sales to pharmacies, they really do know how to prey on the ignorant and abuse the notion and expectation people have of pharmacies. The pseudo-pharmaceutical marketing they achieved is clever but quite disturbing.

I wonder if any pharmacies have boycotted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Bubble19

I tried lipotrim because a friend of the family lost 6stone while on it (has since put it and more weight on) didn't like the whole not eating anything for a number of weeks wouldn't recommend it as its not healthy!!

I know your on the topic of Lipotrim but i just said i let you know if your looking for a good bit of weight loss with eating a number of healthy food products try 'The Sacred Heart Diet' its used in America for overweight people going for surgery to get healthy its ab brilliant google it for more details!!

Would defo recommend this...Best of Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Bubble19

Oh just something i personally found really funny regarding Lipotrim...

Someone once said the only thing you will loose and never get back on lipotrim is 65euro a week...

As ive tried this diet i would defo have to agree!!:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kiars

Just started Lipotrim Maintenance today and not finding it too bad- i can have 2 shakes/bars and my own meal. im having a bar for brekkie, shake for lunch and then a healthy meal for dinner-trying to drop a stone so hopefully this will kick start me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wonderwoman

I'm writing an article on Lipotrim for a (respectable!) Sunday newspaper. I'm looking to speak to people with no much weight to lose who were given the product (it was designed for seriously obese people) and suffered side effects or put the weight back on afterwards. Please PM me by tomorrow morning if you would like to contribute. Many thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Moved from here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055342551

This forum is for any media interaction wonderwoman.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Moved back.

Best of luck with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

OK, I've merged this back to the original thread. Drop me a PM if you've any more queries or concerns wonderwoman.

Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

I'm writing an article on Lipotrim for a (respectable!) Sunday newspaper. I'm looking to speak to people with no much weight to lose who were given the product (it was designed for seriously obese people) and suffered side effects or put the weight back on afterwards. Please PM me by tomorrow morning if you would like to contribute. Many thanks!

get your facts straight , designed for people who have over 2.5 stone to lose

while i dont agree with this diet and many others , even what im on , if it gives people a kick start then well done , if it educates you on the good foods in life , even more respect

not everybody has the will power to stick to a balanced diet , u last a week and then crash and burn , some keep going and lose the weight and are here now preaching about how easy it is or what u should or should not do

as i said on a diff thread , my cousin lost 70kg on a diet like this , never been healthier , got all tests on heart and organs etc excellent health , and over a year later hasnt put any of the weight on

why do people on here always state the negative ????? never about some who actually do change after been on this diet or others.

im not pissed off or having a rant :)

you can be as fit and healthy as u want , gym 5 days a week , eating perfect , losing weight and then get a smack of a truck

if u change for the better then well done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wonderwoman

Thanks. I wasn't looking to start a discussion here about it. I'm looking for people with a BMI of less than 30 to PM me if they had side-effects from the product -- Lipotrim was designed for people with a BMI of over 30 and chemists shouldn't be giving it to people with less to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Fatloss08 wrote: »
    not everybody has the will power to stick to a balanced diet , u last a week and then crash and burn , some keep going and lose the weight and are here now preaching about how easy it is or what u should or should not do

If they dont have the willpower to eat a balanced diet then what happens when they come off it? Gain a few more stone and go back on it? Thats the problem people have with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

davei14

yes people cant stick to it because they have so much to lose , and the though of 6,8,10 months to lose the weight is dis-hearting and they colapse to usual

i know what ur saying , people will fail and pt weight back on , but thats not the diet its the individual

some will never put it on , but people never talk about the people who do good

its just the bad , me for one when i lose 25kg , i will watch the scales every week , eat less carbs than b4 and eat more veg , and excercise and make sure i stay around that weight

its when u let urself get 30 kg overweight its very hard to think , ahh cool i'll have it off in 2 years

people always want results fast in anything not just weight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

davei14

yes people cant stick to it because they have so much to lose , and the though of 6,8,10 months to lose the weight is dis-hearting and they colapse to usual

i know what ur saying , people will fail and pt weight back on , but thats not the diet its the individual

some will never put it on , but people never talk about the people who do good

its just the bad , me for one when i lose 25kg , i will watch the scales every week , eat less carbs than b4 and eat more veg , and excercise and make sure i stay around that weight

its when u let urself get 30 kg overweight its very hard to think , ahh cool i'll have it off in 2 years

people always want results fast in anything not just weight

there is also the question of how to get over a messed up metabolism, going on that sort of calorie deficiet is not going to do you any good .. Also there could potentially be serious muscle loss, you even said yourself in another thread that you needed to keep your calorie intake high in order to avoid loosing muscle, so can you imagine using lipotrim?

Regarding the point about wanting to see quick results or loosing motivation, sorry to be blunt but thats crap, people dont put on huge ammounts of weight overnight so shouldnt expect to loose it either, eat clean and exercise hard and just suck it up and wait for the results - they will come quickly if you work at it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Molly133

Hey guys! I saw your posts and they are all negative about Lipotrim. I was on Lipotrim as I was sick of being over 19 stone. I got tired very easily, my weight was depressing me and I got fed up of having to go to "special" shops to buy clothes and ending up paying about €40 for a T-shirt. I decided to go on Lipotrim and it has given me back my life. Yes, I did try severial diets before Lipotrim including Unislim and Weight watchers. But when you have about 8 or 9 stone to lose, losing a half a pound a week on Weight Watchers isn't very encouraging.

I went on Lipotrim and lost just over 8 stone. I'm now a healthy 11 stone for my height. It has given me back my life and now I can go into any shop I want and pay much less for my clothes.

I had to endure so many family and friends' contineous nagging about this diet so I went to the doctor for a check-up. My cholestrol was down to 3.7, my bloods were a very healthy 15, my blood sugar was perfect and my heart and lungs couldn't have been healthier. That was after five months on Lipotrim. And my muscles were just fine, thank you.

So whatever your thoughts are about this diet, don't discourage people if they want to do it. Being overweight/obese is not all about eating too much. I ate twice a day, but it was what I ate that made me put on the weight. And to all those people out there thinking why don't overweight people get off their asses and exercise, I'd like to see those people exercise with 19 stone on their bodies. It's not easy and it can do more damage than good as it puts strain on the heart. As for the €65 a week. A person would easily spend that on food a week; going out for lunch, eating at home and even going out on a Saturday night. All adds up. So thats my (long) story on Lipotrim! Hope it helps someone out there.

I'm writing an article on Lipotrim for a (respectable!) Sunday newspaper. (it was designed for seriously obese people)
    get your facts straight , designed for people who have over 2.5 stone to lose
    Lipotrim was designed for people with a BMI of over 30 and chemists shouldn't be giving it to people with less to lose.

Please fully research this, especially if you are supposed to be a wiriting an article for a paper!

I have heard it is for people with a BMI of 25 & above, there is no mention of actual weight, sometimes an estimate is mentioned. If you go to lipotrims own page you will get this calculator

www.lipotrim.co.uk/bmi_caculator/index.htm

I put in my height, 5'11'' and my current weight 12.5stone, and was told
    You are overweight, action is required. Consider using Lipotrim maintenance formulas.
    :eek: Best off to the chemist with my fat ass in my 32" jeans to starve myself....:rolleyes:
    Molly133 wrote: »
    Being overweight/obese is not all about eating too much. I ate twice a day, but it was what I ate that made me put on the weight.
    So in your case do you think it was down to eating too much? If what you eat is calorifically dense food and your portions are too big then you are eating too much. Congrats on the weight loss BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Molly133 wrote: »
    Hey guys! I saw your posts and they are all negative about Lipotrim. I was on Lipotrim as I was sick of being over 19 stone. I got tired very easily, my weight was depressing me and I got fed up of having to go to "special" shops to buy clothes and ending up paying about €40 for a T-shirt. I decided to go on Lipotrim and it has given me back my life. Yes, I did try severial diets before Lipotrim including Unislim and Weight watchers. But when you have about 8 or 9 stone to lose, losing a half a pound a week on Weight Watchers isn't very encouraging.

I went on Lipotrim and lost just over 8 stone. I'm now a healthy 11 stone for my height. It has given me back my life and now I can go into any shop I want and pay much less for my clothes.

I had to endure so many family and friends' contineous nagging about this diet so I went to the doctor for a check-up. My cholestrol was down to 3.7, my bloods were a very healthy 15, my blood sugar was perfect and my heart and lungs couldn't have been healthier. That was after five months on Lipotrim. And my muscles were just fine, thank you.

So whatever your thoughts are about this diet, don't discourage people if they want to do it. Being overweight/obese is not all about eating too much. I ate twice a day, but it was what I ate that made me put on the weight. And to all those people out there thinking why don't overweight people get off their asses and exercise, I'd like to see those people exercise with 19 stone on their bodies. It's not easy and it can do more damage than good as it puts strain on the heart. As for the €65 a week. A person would easily spend that on food a week; going out for lunch, eating at home and even going out on a Saturday night. All adds up. So thats my (long) story on Lipotrim! Hope it helps someone out there.

its great that you were able to shed those pounds and your body will thank you for it, but saying you couldnt exercise at your starting weight is not true, believe me ive been there and i managed to loose 5st thru diet + exercise. Also, if someone is obese it means they are taking in too many calories, thats a simple fact and it doenst matter if you only eat one meal a day, in fact taking in excess calories over fewer meals will only slow metabolism further! Anyone i know who tried lipotraim or simfast put all the weight back on as they went back to old habbits once they reached their goal .. its great that you are managing to keep the weight off but many dont....

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

On thi diet at present trying to shift a few pounds, this is my third week and no problems with it so far.
    First week lost 11Ibs, second 4Ibs and at present I'm at 13stone 6Ibs.

I have been running every second night (6k) along with the diet and the weight seems to be shifting.

If you have the will-power I would say go for it, have a shake at 11am & 6pm and over the space of the day (Black Coffee or Peppermint Tea), though going alright.

Earlsie

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

i did this for 2 weeks and lost a stone,,came off it and kept the stone off tooo,,it just gave me the kick start i neeeed to get fit and healthy again,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ibbie

Hi Guys,

I did lipotrim for a week and a half but was so hungry and dizzy today that i ate- so annoyed as i was planning on going another week:mad: so i plan on walking alot next week i've already lost 7lbs but would love to lose another stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Molly133

corkcomp wrote: »
    its great that you were able to shed those pounds and your body will thank you for it, but saying you couldnt exercise at your starting weight is not true, believe me ive been there and i managed to loose 5st thru diet + exercise. Also, if someone is obese it means they are taking in too many calories, thats a simple fact and it doenst matter if you only eat one meal a day, in fact taking in excess calories over fewer meals will only slow metabolism further! Anyone i know who tried lipotraim or simfast put all the weight back on as they went back to old habbits once they reached their goal .. its great that you are managing to keep the weight off but many dont....

Each to their own. In relation to exercise I did start exercising after a month which is what the experts advise. After a few months I was swimming 5 days a week and going to the gym 6 days a week because my body was able to handle it. I wouldn't have been able for it at 19 stone. Also, if people think that this is the easy way out then you obviously haven't tried it. It's tough and your social life is non-existant. But, again, the doctor's medical exam confirmed I was healthy. Also, I've kept the weight down. And you know the old saying, don't knock it unless you've tried it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I think it all depends on the individual person. We all know that some diets suit certain people and others suit others. I for example am flying along on WW for the last3 months and have lost nearly 2 stone but I know two of my friends who hated the diet and it didn't work for them.
    I think the problem many people have with this diet is that it teaches you very little about changing your eating habits for the better. You also lose weight exceptionally fast which can (please note I said can, not does) cause its own problems.
    My bf went on it last year for just over a week and lost a stone in one week. No matter how you look at that, it cannot be healthy! He gave it up the second week citing continuous headaches, sick tummy and various other complaints regarding the digestive system. He was also sleeping over 10 hours a night (normally survives on 7) and was still exhausted. Personally as someone close to him I was over the moon when he quit. But I will state again that I base my opinions on the bf's experience and another friend of mines with the diet. Neither found it good and both suffered minor health side effects while on it including those stated above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭confuddled

Ah Lipotrim - my pet peeve!

Lipotrim was originally intended to be put on prescription only, so that you would have to do it under your doctors supervision. However due to the fact that it's not a "medicinal product" it falls into the "food stuff" category - however there were worries that it would be abused so a restriction was put in place so that it could only be sold through pharmacies - the idea being that the pharmacist would be able to supervise those taking it.

It is designed as a treatment for obesity, where the options are limited and losing the weight, even in an unhealthy way, is better than keeping it on (kinda like gastric band surgery - where the risks of surgery are high but not as high as the risk of staying so obese).

What has happened is that pharmacists are not restricting it to obese people - and people go on it to lose a fast stone or two before their wedding or their christmas party or whatever. I work in the medical field and I've seen people with kidney damage, bowel perforations etc. from using Lipotrim - people who didn't need it. :mad:

There are healthier ways to lose weight but by the same token systems like this have their value - treatments for obesity are so limited and if something like lipotrim gives you the kick-start you need then great.

For those of you who are just carrying a few extra pounds - please don't do this. You might do yourself some serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

How do you get a bowel perforation from using Lipotrim?
    Not trying to be snarky, genuinely interested.

confuddled wrote: »
    Lipotrim was originally intended to be put on prescription only
    They may have led people to believe that but...
    Lipotrim involves the use of nutrient-complete formula total food replacement products, developed in Britain by qualified nutritionists and experts in weight management
    Any "expert" would know that it is simply food and does not fall under any medicine laws/restrictions. The Irish Medicines Board investigated it but are unable to do anything, since as said, it is simply food. Similarly there is NOTHING to stop kelloggs recommending people to only eat 500kcal of special K per day with the aim of losing weight.

there were worries that it would be abused so a restriction was put in place so that it could only be sold through pharmacies
    I firmly believe it is sold in pharmacies for 2 reasons, price fixing, and to promote the faux-pharamceutical branding around it. People will pay more for stuff from pharmacies, they consider them drugs. It is a very smart (and sickening) tactic, if it was priced like that in supermarkets people would be more likely to realise it is simply a overpriced food. It would be alongside complan etc and the price per kilo would make it stand out a mile. People put a ridiculous amount of trust in pharmacists and doctors too, they are simply business people out to make a profit like any other business.
    What has happened is that pharmacists are not restricting it to obese people
    Most will follow the guidelines, they state just overweight, not obese, a BMI of over 25. At 5'11'' about a month ago I qualified for lipotrim since I weighed 12.5stone, yes no typo! 12.5stone I was still wearing 32" jeans then no problem.

A short 9 stone person could qualify, so would a 50stone man, the bizarre thing is that these "experts" would put them both on the exact same amount of calories per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Scrumptious

I was on lipotrim for 4 months and lost 4 stone. In my own little way, because of the weight loss each week, I enjoyed it.

After the five months I went on maintenance and was still doing well but then collapsed one night and had to be taken to hospital. It turned out to be gallstones and I had to get my gall bladder removed. My consultant said that he has seen this in a few other people who have been on lipotrim and he advised me for my own health not to continue on it for at least six months.
    I checked with my pharmacy and gallstones is not one of the side effects listed with lipotrim yet when I have mentioned it to others and done some searching online I discovered it is common enough.

I attempted to go back on lipotrim after Easter this year but found it much more difficult this time around and couldn't stick to it. Depressingly so I have no put back on the 4 stone and more since then.

I would still say to someone if you are really and truely very unhappy and can't find it in yourself to do something slow and steady like WW to try Lipotrim and see how you get on but realise that it is more than likely a once off chance and you have to re-educate yourself in your eating habits, no-one else will do that for you. If you do try it though make sure you go to your doctor and get a check up and don't ignore any illness that you may get - I had been feeling sick for a month or two on and off and didn't put two and two together.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shellita

I used Lipotrim for 6 months and lost 7 STONE but unfortunately when you finish the diet it is so hard to keep it off. I joined weight watchers and went the gym but the weight kept creeping on.

I know multiple peolpe who have done Lipotrim but not one could keep the weight off.

I just got a gastric band so no more large portion sizes for me :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement