Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of garden waste

• 03-05-2007 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I've a few hedges, shrubs, climbers and small branches to cut back next weekend....it will probably fill 4-5 black bin liner bags. Too much to put in my back wheelie bin.

I suppose I could take it to the local dump, but will they charge me?

After all its just stuff that will de-compose anyway but I have nowhere to let that happen.

Don't really want to burn it as most will be green...any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,401 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Get a shredder. It'll all fit in one bin bag then, or else you can compost it or use it as mulch. It's amazing how much of a reduction in volume you can achieve with one of these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

There are special trucks that collect from certain points around dublin ,trees ,grass and shubbery. I think it's something got to do with the brown wheelie bin project thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Got a local recycling plant? they take all that green stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

zabbo wrote:
    Got a local recycling plant? they take all that green stuff.
    any idea how I find out if one is near me?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Call Kildare County Council on 045 980200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Thanks....had a look at the Kildare CoCo website and they have a link to Siliot Hill Recycle Centre. They charge €183/Tonne, min charge €3.66.

Shouldn't cost me that much as its all clippings & small branches

A shredder in Argos costs €110. Hardly worth it if I can dump them all in bags for less than €10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

chop it up small, put it in bin liners, tie the tops, place where it is out of sight, punture it liberaly, next spring you will have top quality compost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Mocking Burd

Tenner's about right - I've brought up to 6 bin bags there and it costs no more than that. Turn right up the slope after the weighbridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Whereabouts is Siliot Hill?? I'm in Clane

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

dublin city council do a free garden waste collection on saturdays from 10am - 4pm on Tolka Valley Road which is probably a bit too far from you but it might help someone else out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 shanahap

Hi.
    Does anyone know if this service on Tolka Valley Road is still running, In 2006 it was supposed to be only for the summer.
    Dublin City Council's website has not been updated about this since 2006.

irishbird wrote:
    dublin city council do a free garden waste collection on saturdays from 10am - 4pm on Tolka Valley Road which is probably a bit too far from you but it might help someone else out :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

shanahap wrote:
    Hi.
    Does anyone know if this service on Tolka Valley Road is still running, In 2006 it was supposed to be only for the summer.
    Dublin City Council's website has not been updated about this since 2006.

yeah, it is still running and they appear to have extended it, i have seen the truck there on sundays aswell. brilliant service - so a big yeah to DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shanahap

Thats good news. All I need now is the trailer!

QUOTE=irishbird]yeah, it is still running and they appear to have extended it, i have seen the truck there on sundays aswell. brilliant service - so a big yeah to DCC[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

irishbird wrote: »
    yeah, it is still running and they appear to have extended it, i have seen the truck there on sundays aswell. brilliant service - so a big yeah to DCC
    Anyone used this Garden Waste collection truck on Tolka Valley Road this year?
    I drove up there twice yesterday (Sat) and there was no collection truck, the half-torn notice indicated that the Collection Area was moved to 200 yards down the road but no sign of a truck of any kind, anywhere.
    Though... there were two little plastic bags of leaves sitting in the spot where the truck was supposed to be!

Any update on this service? It's still listed on dublinwaste.ie
    In fact, any green waste disposal options in or around Dublin 9 or 11 would do, I tried the Bring Centre on Collins Ave and they don't take garden waste. :(

Advertisement