Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattle stolen and returned in Tipp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Crossakiel wrote: »
    This is a really bizarre story, cattle were stolen and a few days later returned to a neighbouring farm, minus their tags, what scumbags would do this?
    http://www.agriland.ie/news/stolen-cattle-returned-to-tipp-farmer/

without even hitting your link, it sounds like there is allot more to this story, maybe monies due and animals lifted to speed up payment or the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I'm sure the first thing they do with stolen cattle is take out there tags . Why they left them back, maybe they have a conscious, or the shinners got to them

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Crossakiel

without even hitting your link, it sounds like there is allot more to this story, maybe monies due and animals lifted to speed up payment or the likes

Why would they remove the tags? I'd say it was cold feet by the boys who stole them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

We had a heifer stolen and left back in a pen about three weeks later , tags were still in . It was nothing to do with money owed or bad feelings , I think he just thought he would get away with it if we presumed she was lost in a boghole or something .

How do they get rid of the cattle then? The calves would be easy enough, just claim twins in a few births, but the cows would be a lot more difficult. You'd have to match the cow with a death of an animal of the same breed that wasn't reported to the department. Dodgy stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

This is a really bizarre story, cattle were stolen and a few days later returned to a neighbouring farm, minus their tags, what scumbags would do this?
    http://www.agriland.ie/news/stolen-cattle-returned-to-tipp-farmer/

They must have gotten cold feet - possibly local enough to the farmer i wonder??

Panch18 wrote: »
    They must have gotten cold feet - possibly local enough to the farmer i wonder??

That's what I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Perhaps someone having the Jones's (or maybe the bank manager) over to tea :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

How do they get rid of the cattle then? The calves would be easy enough, just claim twins in a few births, but the cows would be a lot more difficult. You'd have to match the cow with a death of an animal of the same breed that wasn't reported to the department. Dodgy stuff!!

Easy as 1,2,3 if you know the wrong people, plenty of unscrupulous souls around wanting to make an easy buck. Cops at our last meeting speculated there might be a boning plant in or around the border somewhere in the vein of the fuel laundering plants, to cater for stolen livestock particularly.

I don't keep cattle, but think if you have more than 4 sets of twins the Dept come out for a visit? Do they do any DNA tests I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

You'd need contacts very high up, to move a large number of cattle.
    So it's no ordinary joe that's involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I don't keep cattle, but think if you have more than 4 sets of twins the Dept come out for a visit? Do they do any DNA tests I wonder?

I had 3 sets of twins out of ten cows, I think in 2002 and I'd to DNA the 3rd set. They told me at the time it was highlighted because it was way above the national average of twin calvings. The 3rd set was a PB Ch set, a bull and a heifer, out of a CF 51 heifer. I'm amazed I can remember all that :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Scenario 1 - you have say, 3 cows die over a few weeks. Steal 3 cows, switch tags from dead cows to stolen cowss. Bury dead cows on your land. Problem solved.

Scenario 2 - Some of your cattle break into a neighbours. Neigbour has had enough and decides to sort you out. Puts cattle into pen and removes their tags. What do you tell the dept? :D

Please read before mods delete.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

This was on the news a couple of weeks ago http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1111/486055-carcasses-louth/

There were 21 cattle stolen in Monaghan last Thursday http://www.northernsound.ie/news/cattle-stolen-overnight-in-monaghan/

We had two bulls stolen earlier on in the summer from an out farm from a group of 34 :mad:
    We thought at first they broke out and contacted the neighbours. After 3 days of searching and no sign of them we reported them stolen to the Garda and Dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Whose cattle were they. He said he put the word out locally and 3 days later they appeared back that whoever took them must be feeling the heat.
    I don't want to libel anybody and am not saying anything bad about the farmer but did the thieves get afraid when they heard who owned them or did they think he wasn't bothered about them till he said he wanted them back. Who wouldn't want their stolen cattle back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Jasus, what is it with ye lads on the border! Is there no law in the place. Can't blame the RA for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭celt262

munkus wrote: »
    Jasus, what is it with ye lads on the border! Is there no law in the place. Can't blame the RA for everything.

Who else can we blame the foreigners ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

No we can blame the crowd on Kildare street in Dublin for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If thousands of tonnes of horse meat could enter the food chain then id say its not too difficult to get stolen cattle in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Lots of areas you would'nt go if you were not known. literally a tribal area. Drive in and you would be lucky to walk out. Once got into the wrong lane of traffic where you come off the M1 at Portadown heading for Armagh . No prob thinks I, just turn in the next side turning and spin around. Was a housing estate. Took about 15 seconds to do a turnaround, was the longest 15 seconds of my life, the southern plate was spotted in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Lots of areas you would'nt go if you were not known. literally a tribal area. Drive in and you would be lucky to walk out. Once got into the wrong lane of traffic where you come off the M1 at Portadown heading for Armagh . No prob thinks I, just turn in the next side turning and spin around. Was a housing estate. Took about 15 seconds to do a turnaround, was the longest 15 seconds of my life, the southern plate was spotted in seconds.
    Never had any bother in the North with a Southern plate and if I looked for directions they would actually travel with you to make sure you reached your destination . I will not stop at a traffic light on the N81 coming out through Tallaght much more dangerous than Belfast . 5000 Heroin addicts travel into central Dublin everyday at least there are some days the Orange order do not march and it only gets exciting when the marches are over .
    Dublin is pure dangerous with unfortunates on heroin .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

Agree Bog Man about Belfast. Last year I had to collect something from the Ards peninsula and on the way back through Belfast missed my turn for the M1 and realised I was heading into the center of Belfast. When I was stopped at a traffic lights I rolled down the window to ask a guy in a van in the lane next to me the way to go. He told me to follow him and he would put on his hazard warning lights at a particular junction. I was to veer left as he would be going right. Nice lad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

165% rise in cattle thefts over the last 12 months according to the department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I heard recently that the 21 cattle stolen belonged to a renouned politician who has an extra curicular in extortion. If the truth were to be known about them i doubt many people would be too upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Miname wrote: »
    I heard recently that the 21 cattle stolen belonged to a renouned politician who has an extra curicular in extortion. If the truth were to be known about them i doubt many people would be too upset.

I didn't know that mugabe farmed

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Rho b wrote: »
    This was on the news a couple of weeks ago http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1111/486055-carcasses-louth/

There were 21 cattle stolen in Monaghan last Thursday http://www.northernsound.ie/news/cattle-stolen-overnight-in-monaghan/

From what I hear the lorry was caught on camera and 3 men have been arrested for this. Not sure if its connected but the same day of the arrests Gardai discovered an illegal slaughter house somewhere in Louth where 4 men were found boning out beef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

From what I hear the lorry was caught on camera and 3 men have been arrested for this. Not sure if its connected but the same day of the arrests Gardai discovered an illegal slaughter house somewhete in Louth where 4 men were found boning out beef

That's good news. One of the Sargeants at our AGM was speculating there was such a plant along the border somewhere.

Advertisement