Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosnaree hotel being demolished?

• 11-10-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Drove past there twice today and Tinnely Demolition were in setting up their equipment.
    Will be weird without the place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

kbell wrote: »
    Drove past there twice today and Tinnely Demolition were in setting up their equipment.
    Will be weird without the place.

For ever associated with this incident, it won't be missed.

January 21, 1987
    Two men blamed for terrorist crimes in Northern Ireland were shot and killed in the Irish Republic as they drank tea with two companions, both of whom were wounded in the attack, police said. The two gunmen escaped from the Rosnaree Hotel in Drogheda, 30 miles from Dublin. The dead men were identified as Thomas Power, 32, and John O'Reilly, 26, both of whom were linked to the outlawed Irish National Liberation Army. There was speculation that the shooting resulted from a feud within the INLA, a splinter movement of the Irish Republican Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭furiousox

Bit of an eyesore at this stage, wonder what they'll build there instead?

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

the rosnaree is the place to be , if you want to be shot while having your tea:D

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

come to the rosnaree, the first 2 shots are free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Even in it's "prime" it was a kip. Will not be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Had some great nights there back in the day but that's for another discussion.
    I heard they were putting in a nursing home there but couldn't get planning permission???

Saw the demolition crew there yesterday evening and I'm glad they're knocking it. I agree the place is a total eyesore at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

Rosnaree = Europa?

If so glad to see it go. Nice location though - I hope something nice comes up there, and not another shopping center or apartment complex! With all that road frontage, I think it will be a great location for some sort of open plan garden center or something nice to look at as you approach town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Big multi story nightclub, attract people from all round. look at time in naas

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

furiousox wrote: »
    Bit of an eyesore at this stage, wonder what they'll build there instead?

I've heard there's to be a nursing home built on the site...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I've heard there's to be a nursing home built on the site...
    There goes the neighborhood!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    There goes the neighborhood!

You mean it can get any worse?

It will always be associated with that shooting. I remember it like it was yesterday, its hard to believe that was almost a quarter of a century ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Thread of the day!

ooops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

TommyT wrote: »

It will always be associated with that shooting. I remember it like it was yesterday, its hard to believe that was almost a quarter of a century ago.
    I was joking! Much better than more apartments.

Wrong!
    It will be forever associated with DJ Maurice, LJ Ray and Theeeee Place!:pac:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭2hellr2conaght

Many hotels like this will be demolished as it is cheaper to take this course of action than to keep it closed and pay the rates. Alot of new hotels built in the last few years will meet this faith also. There is a rumour that a very very large hotel in south Dublin will be knocked by the end of next year. This hotel is still open at the moment but its in the hands of a UK bank who will just sell it for its land value.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

On a semi related note, the Bettystown Court hotel is going to be closed midweek for the Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I always remember it for being brought there as a child for dinner, and playing the flat top space invaders machine in the bar.
    The guitar fair was held there as was many a show, in the function room when it was renovated.
    When you were 16/17 getting into thee place was some achievement which meant you had one up on your Lucianoes going mates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

i saw Joe Dolan there, great nite boss

delly wrote: »
    On a semi related note, the Bettystown Court hotel is going to be closed midweek for the Winter.

Really? ...Any more info on that

Actually just saw there is a thread in the Meath section about the aforementioned...Please throw any comments in there. I wonder will that affect the gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭washiskin

Ah...Fantasy Gaaadens on a Friday night in my teens. Covered in sunburn from carrying golf bags in Baltray all day to get enough dosh to go.

The "cool" set dancing - well arms waist high in a click stance and one foot heel tapping while looking at the ceiling.

The girlies in white and flourescent with white shoes doing the FG shuffle to Madonna.

The rush to the jax for the slow set.

The same alu lad in the wine jumper in for his weekly perv.

The waiting in the car park for the bus back into town and the walk up the hill to Finians Paaaak.

Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

Actually just saw there is a thread in the Meath section about the aforementioned...Please throw any comments in there. I wonder will that affect the gym?

Technically, shouldn't this thread on the Rosnaree/Europa be in the Meath forum as well....? ;)

Anyhoo, the For Sale sign on the site says that there is planning permission for a 100 bed nursing home - maybe the owners think they'll have a better chance of selling it as an empty site rather than a rundown building?

gipi wrote: »
    Technically, shouldn't this thread on the Rosnaree/Europa be in the Meath forum as well....? ;)

Anyhoo, the For Sale sign on the site says that there is planning permission for a 100 bed nursing home - maybe the owners think they'll have a better chance of selling it as an empty site rather than a rundown building?

yes...correct on all counts...mods?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

It only became "Thee Place" a quarter of a century ago, before that it was less successful nightclubs (Visage and Fantasy Nights). It's heyday was 1985 to 1992, where it attracted REGULAR customers from as far as Belfast and Galway. It had the first LASER LIGHTSHOW in the country and also led the way in PARTY Nights(Beach, St. Trinians, Toga, to name but a few).

It was so bad, in the 80's, that Dublin bus companies depended on runs to the Ross, Wed to Sun, to stay in business, even though half their passengers failed to get in.

This was the first instance of the Celtic Tiger, albeit 20 years ahead of it's time.

Sorry to see it go.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭sudzs

washiskin wrote: »
    Ah...Fantasy Gaaadens on a Friday night in my teens.!

Omg, the memories! :o Was it fantasy Gaaaardens before or after it was Theee Place?

Hmmm...fantasy gardens then thee place I think?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wiesiekg35

Hi I'm from Polish worked there as a kitchen porter and later as a cook I have a huge soft spot for this place cool people fond memories cool city pity that this hotel is no longer there I would gladly have worked back in 2006-2009 if anyone knows people who worked there, please I greet them with Polish JACK ime

I meant, of course, europe hotel

• Advertisement

thanks ... nice to look at and if you know someone who worked there? happy to come back to Drogheda to work but I have no contact at all and it is what it is now? know that the back was a slaughterhouse where she is now?

Advertisement