Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decomposed grass runoff

• 29-03-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I stored my grass clippings in a spare wheely bin the year before last and ended up with a horrible smelly substance consisting of a lot of liquid and soggy rotted grass. I drilled holes in the bin and collected the liquid. How can I use this. I poured some on a small patch on the lawn and it seems to have burned it. The grass went yellow. I assume it can be used diluted with water then as a fertiliser. Any ideas on the ratio.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

this run off is a farmers nightmare and is usually collected into septic tanks and it can ruin and pollute rivers and kill fish. this is one of the reason round bales as opposed to pit silage took off years ago as farmers had to connect their silage pit to a septic tank for this run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 nudelude

So I should pour it down the toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭fatoftheland

It's not a septic tank at farm level. It can be spread on grass if it's diluted with water. We spread it at home every year with no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

OP,
    jump onto google and you'll find the ratio to dilute it to. I've seen it discussed before.
    Also the wheelie bin idea sounds poor as there will be no access for microbes or worms to digest the rest of the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Why don't you compost it?
    Composting would reduce it to stuff you can use as potting mix.
    You need to mix it with woody/brown stuff like twigs dry leaves etc to get it to break down.
    http://www.compost-info-guide.com/beginner_guide.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 31 nudelude

Thanks for the replies. I did a google search but I was using search similar to the thread title. When I searched just now I discovered its actually silage effluent or slurry. It can be diluted 1:1 and no more than 50 litres poured on 10sq metres.

Advertisement