Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My college course... (A 3rd-level student's insight)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Louisew97 wrote: »
    I'm mainly thinking of business and Spanish but also considering spanish as part of tsm at the moment .if you could give me some information on subjects lecturers pros/cons and anything else that would be great :) gracias

I graduated last year in TSM French and Spanish, so I can tell you about Spanish. What I will say to you is that if you're going to study a language in college, particularly Trinity, you really do need to know what you're getting yourself into. I won't lie. I do have a bit of a bee in my bonnet after my experience and I really did not know what studying a pure language degree entailed.

When you're studying languages in Trinity, the first year comes across as being quite balanced with grammar, language classes and 1/2 modules in literature. However, after 1st year, the overwhelming emphasis of this course is understanding, reading and producing arguments in relation to the Spanish/French literature on your course. That's great if you like literature. I like reading myself because the sheer emphasis on literature really did not help my communication skills in Spanish. Of course, it might have helped my understanding of the language, but it was my own efforts to meet Spanish people, go to Spain and having a genuine interest in learning the language myself is what has made me fluent in Spanish today-not the Trinity course, believe it or not. Sorry if I sound really negative, but I was definitely disillusioned by the course and was glad to have finished in the end. At the end of the day, if you want to learn Spanish, it's up to you to learn it and you can feel in the degree that they already expect you to have a high fluency in the language after you enter, or at the maximum, second year of college (which is tough on the beginners). I was very lucky to have been an exchange student in a Secondary school in Spain and exposed to Spanish at a young age. This definitely helped.

Now, Business and Spanish would be a different kettle of fish because you would be focusing on learning communicative Spanish for business and, also, you are expected to go to Spain for a year on Erasmus, which will do wonders for your Spanish provided you have a genuine interest and are willing to learn the language.

Edit: I should have also mentioned that there are language classes (Grammar and Translation- 2 hours a week) and oral (1 hour a week), but by third year, you will be mostly translating literary texts from English into Spanish and Spanish to English in class and for homework. The grammar points might be discussed in class. In fairness, I did find translation did help me with my grammar bur grammar translation is really the only method through which the language is taught, and, as a trained language teacher myself, grammar translation on its own does not develop communication skills. All the classes are taught mostly in English, except for the oral classes. Again, I have to call a spade a spade, for the level that you are expected to leave with, 1 hour of spoken Spanish a week is not helpful (classes can be a hit and a miss) and all the classes should have really been taught through Spanish insofar as possible. Literature study is the speciality of this course/department, except for the odd linguistics and Spanish History module.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Course:
    Bachelor of Business (Honours) in Accounting & Finance IT Tallaght

Number of students:
    Started with about 80 when I was in 1st year may have changed since then. In years one and two you will have lectures with only half of the total number of students are we are split into two class groups.

Hours:
    Varies from between 17-20. Very manageable as lectures are spread over Monday to Friday.

Course Content:
    In year one you will study a wide array of business areas including accounting, law, economic,s business administration, business maths and computers. You do not need to have studied any subjects business wise at leaving cert level. I didnt do accounting myself and had no issues. Also in year one additional tutorials are provided in accounting and business maths . This involves smaller group sizes with a lecturer which really helps anyone struggling with the basics. Business admin accounting and economics in addition to every other subject are taken from scratch. From second year onward the range narrows to mainly cover the areas of accounting (both financial and management) financial investment tax and auditing. The course provided you get the relevant grades enjoys a large amount of exemptions from professional bodies. In 3rd and 4th years a wide range of speakers are brought in to give us advice on employment opportunities and further study options. So far in third year some of the speakers included EY BOI Chartered Accountants of Ireland NUIM and Davys Stockbrokers.

IT Tallaght operates very differently from some of the larger colleges. I am on a first name basis with every single one of my lecturers. If you don't understand a point the lecturers are happy to go over any point. No one is the class minds if you ask a ton of questions. Many of the lectures are delivered in secondary school sized rooms so it feels alot more personal. Even in the large lectures rooms which seat about 140 there is never more then 40 or 50 people.

One final point which I feel very important to be included is that people shouldn't be put off by the low points. Plenty of people in my year myself included scored in the high 300s or low 400s. There are plenty of reasons why people chose to do this course other then its low points requirements. The course has provided me with an in dept knowledge of accounting. I look forward to starting fourth year in September. Any questions about the course or college in general i will be happy to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

I think it was about 390 (2010), but I've heard they've gone up since!

Class sizes:
    Fluctuates year to year, 60 started with me, we're finishing with 65/66. Numbers stand around the 70 mark for this year's 1st year group.

What it's like:
    Great for anyone who's interested in education. A very practical course. Depending on the semester, you would average about 5 modules per semester. One of which is professional development which focuses on both practical experiences and reflecting on your own practice. Modules cover: foundation studies, language acquisition, sociology, psychology, creativity, theoretical perspectives & the dreaded dissertation to name but a few!

For a 4 year degree, you cover a multitude. Assessments differ depending on the module but continuous assessment & an exam seems to be the most popular assessment method. ECCE is the type of degree that if you put the work into your modules you'll reap the benefits come your final year. Although modules are stand alone and there are very few continuations of modules, come your fourth year you can see the links between modules in first year to date.

First year & second year are largely spent on campus with a few work placements beginning in your second semester of first year. In your third year of the degree, you spend a semester off campus on placement. There are options to go abroad, but many of the students use it to dip their toes into whichever career path they are thinking about. Fourth year is mainly focused on you as a childcare worker, how you perceive the various modules & of course your dissertation. There is a lot of support available, especially during fourth year from both lecturers and supervisors.

Personal:
    Although classified as an Arts degree, the B.A. ECCE is an education based degree. It's a perfect foundation level degree for someone who wants to work with children but is unsure of whether or not they want to go and become a primary school teacher. The degree can be tough at times, but if you put the work in you should never be too swamped with work. I think we had 22 hours at most of lectures a week over the 4 years, but you need to be able to read as you're expected to read so much during the hours you're not timetabled to be in college!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 caitlinc_97

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I do Science Ed in UL and have friends doing PE, what to you wanna know? :)

Tough but if you enjoy it won't seem half as bad, very physics, the lads have gymnastics modules, swimming modules, all sorts of stuff! Pretty full timetable
    compared to business/arts, 30ish hours a week??
    The education modules can be a bit boring but if you stick with it its really easy to get an A

I'm hoping on doing Biology in UL but everyone keeps nagging me about the lack of career prospects and the course isn't very popular! Your opinion would be greatly appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Anyone have any info on Business studies with German in TCD? Any help would be great, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Louisew97

@Solomon Pleasant
    Hey, I study Business and Spanish in tcd so i can give you a decent enough insight.
    In first year you take 4 business modules and 2 language. business are Economic Policy, Maths&Stats, Organisation &managment, and an elective (choose between law, sociology or politics). Economics is easy, Maths will be a breeze if you have done honours, O&M is a bit of a pain as its not too interesting but its the only proper business part. For the language one module is grammar& syntax.This is great as there is generally just 15 of you directly with one teacher very easy to learn in. The other one should be culture/history/litreature.
    Second year you have 8 business modules like finance, accounting, innovation, organisational behaviour, marketing. you can also pick between economy of ireland and more maths( great for those who want to drop maths). Language remains the same.
    Its important to note that your end of year grades impact on where you study abroad.
    3rd year abroad. 4th year 50/50 language and business (havnt got there yet!)
    I really enjoy my course overall, but there are some things which i dont like. I only have 3 contact hours a week with spanish which i find too low, also languages are marked VERY hard. I fail as often as I pass, but the whole class is like that.
    You should contact trinity and arrange a day to follow the lectures of business and german to see if youd really like it :)
    If you have any more questions feel free to ask me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

Anybody have anything on international commernce ? Perhaps with spanish.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

Louisew97 wrote: »
    @Solomon Pleasant
    Hey, I study Business and Spanish in tcd so i can give you a decent enough insight.
    In first year you take 4 business modules and 2 language. business are Economic Policy, Maths&Stats, Organisation &managment, and an elective (choose between law, sociology or politics). Economics is easy, Maths will be a breeze if you have done honours, O&M is a bit of a pain as its not too interesting but its the only proper business part. For the language one module is grammar& syntax.This is great as there is generally just 15 of you directly with one teacher very easy to learn in. The other one should be culture/history/litreature.
    Second year you have 8 business modules like finance, accounting, innovation, organisational behaviour, marketing. you can also pick between economy of ireland and more maths( great for those who want to drop maths). Language remains the same.
    Its important to note that your end of year grades impact on where you study abroad.
    3rd year abroad. 4th year 50/50 language and business (havnt got there yet!)
    I really enjoy my course overall, but there are some things which i dont like. I only have 3 contact hours a week with spanish which i find too low, also languages are marked VERY hard. I fail as often as I pass, but the whole class is like that.
    You should contact trinity and arrange a day to follow the lectures of business and german to see if youd really like it :)
    If you have any more questions feel free to ask me!!

I PMed you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ Annalise Nutty Switch-hitter

Construction management or Construction economics (Dit) or Agricultural engineering(Tralee)or Construction and project management(NUIG)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emmakehoe1996

looking for a bit of an insight into Agriculture science UCD if anyone here has done it or is doing it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭joe14

any sports science students out there?Would love to hear you're experiences about the course you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Does anyone have information about Immunology in TCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

Does anyone have an insight into NanoScience TCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ianfagan88

Anyone got anything to offer on Sciene in Maynooth ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Hi guys I'm a little confused as to what to put down on my CAO. I'd love to do Accounting in NUIM or Law too! Problem is I'm stuck between the two. I know there is a Law and Accounting course which is my first choice but this is incase I don't get the points (does anybody have information regarding transfers, website leaves a lot unanswered).

Also is there anybody in either course that has realised something about the course they didn't know before?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Elemonator wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm a little confused as to what to put down on my CAO. I'd love to do Accounting in NUIM or Law too! Problem is I'm stuck between the two. I know there is a Law and Accounting course which is my first choice but this is incase I don't get the points (does anybody have information regarding transfers, website leaves a lot unanswered).

Also is there anybody in either course that has realised something about the course they didn't know before?

Have you put Arts down so that you could pick the two that way?

Have you put Arts down so that you could pick the two that way?

I have but how likely is it that you will get the transfer? I think I read that you need to get 50-60pc in order to transfer. Are the exams hard?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I have but how likely is it that you will get the transfer? I think I read that you need to get 50-60pc in order to transfer. Are the exams hard?

Well I managed to do it! I only know once person from my group of friends when I was in first year who didn't. If you work hard you should be fine.

Well I managed to do it! I only know once person from my group of friends when I was in first year who didn't. If you work hard you should be fine.

Thanks everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Hi, Has anyone done or is doing quantity surveying? Just trying to find out what it's like and what sort jobs/salary you can get from it.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi, Has anyone done or is doing quantity surveying? Just trying to find out what it's like and what sort jobs/salary you can get from it.

Thanks

My uncle actually happens to be a quantity surveyor. Works in Galway. His hours are very nice and I would say he has done very well out of it. He has a few cars and a nice big modern house in the countryside. Need to have your logical maths mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mcd16

Hi Im starting this in Sept. Has anyone done one. Any info re it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

My uncle actually happens to be a quantity surveyor. Works in Galway. His hours are very nice and I would say he has done very well out of it. He has a few cars and a nice big modern house in the countryside. Need to have your logical maths mind though.

Is he working with a construction company? I see you can also get county council and insurance brokers jobs with the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 k88

Hi sorry if there's already been a post, this thread is so hectic! :P
    I'm interested in doing science next year, my worry is that I only do Biology for leaving cert and I'm scared that I won't be able to keep up with Chemistry? I enjoy studying and stuff but will I be way far behind seeing as a lot of people have probably done Chem at LC level?

Is he working with a construction company? I see you can also get county council and insurance brokers jobs with the course.

Construction company yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ormarred

Anyone doing this course or doing it in September? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LifeasaPigeon

k88 wrote: »
    Hi sorry if there's already been a post, this thread is so hectic! :P
    I'm interested in doing science next year, my worry is that I only do Biology for leaving cert and I'm scared that I won't be able to keep up with Chemistry? I enjoy studying and stuff but will I be way far behind seeing as a lot of people have probably done Chem at LC level?

I'm just finished first year of science in UCD so I'm afraid that's the only one I can answer for! I did do chemistry for the LC but plenty of people in my course didn't, and by the end of just the first semester everyone was pretty much caught up :) If you haven't done chemistry before, you do Introductory Chemistry in the first semester, and many people who did it claimed to rather enjoy it! The lecturer is lovely too :) and then in the second semester, everyone does Basis of Organic Chemistry, so everyone is on the same page by then, and some people who had only started chemistry in college were actually finding it easier than me and other people who had done it for the LC were, so you really have no need to worry about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 k88

I'm just finished first year of science in UCD so I'm afraid that's the only one I can answer for! I did do chemistry for the LC but plenty of people in my course didn't, and by the end of just the first semester everyone was pretty much caught up :) If you haven't done chemistry before, you do Introductory Chemistry in the first semester, and many people who did it claimed to rather enjoy it! The lecturer is lovely too :) and then in the second semester, everyone does Basis of Organic Chemistry, so everyone is on the same page by then, and some people who had only started chemistry in college were actually finding it easier than me and other people who had done it for the LC were, so you really have no need to worry about it :)

Thanks so much! Another quick question if you don't mind, how did you find the exams compared to LC exams? I know they're obviously different but for me anyway, I always did well in small exams based on a few chapters rather than an actual full paper covering everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The Grimm

Sorry everyone, I have posted this a few times but in the wrong place.......

I am interested in doing an undenominated engineering course in either UCD, NUIG, UL, UCC or Trinity and was wondering does anyone have any feedback? Are all the colleges considered equally as good? Or does any of the colleges specialise particularly well in that field?

NUIG includes computer science so that's a plus as I think this is an area I might be interested in.

Does it matter which college you have obtained your degree when going for a job?

Any feedback gratefully accepted good, bad or indifferent? I have no preference as to where I will do the degree but would love to hear other experiences so I can choose.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I've just finished the leaving cert and still considering different courses at this point. If anyone has any information or experience of Global business-Germany in DCU or international business with german in DCU it would be greatly appreciated as I am thinking of applying for one of these at least.Thanks!

Advertisement