Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The top 100 video games of all time

• 18-01-2013 7:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Xzbeat

I don't normally go for these kind of lists, but this one looks pretty decent:

http://gamewise.co/games/top-rated

Loads of old classics in there such as Earthbound, Metal Gear Solid and Goldeneye. Personally I'd like to see Final Fantasy 7 a little higher.

What would your top 10 be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Xzbeat wrote: »
    I don't normally go for these kind of lists, but this one looks pretty decent:

http://gamewise.co/games/top-rated

Loads of old classics in there such as Earthbound, Metal Gear Solid and Goldeneye. Personally I'd like to see Final Fantasy 7 a little higher.

What would your top 10 be?

In before the flurry of complaints about mgs4 and gow3 featuring so high up the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Baldur's Gate isn't on it anywhere? Something definitely wrong there.

very Nintendo-centric list.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

One of the better lists I've seen imo but it's still missing some gems

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

MGS4 above Half Life and Deus Ex? Seriously? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Must go through and see how many I've played/own.
    In before the flurry of complaints about mgs4 and gow3 featuring so high up the list.

On a side note, seeing gow3 mentioned here reminds me to ask, what do people think is meant when they see gow? God of War or Gears of War? Or does it depend on what system you play. I always read it as God of War.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's user voted so is more a measure of how popular a game is than if it's any good at all. FFVII for example is a good game but there's so many better games in it's genre. However it's a fan favourite so is well up that list. Goldeneye as well, everyone loved it but time has not been kind at all to that one. You can tell it's american centric as well since it's so Nintendo focused.

In other words it's terrible and not really worth discussing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

10 Mario games and not even a mention of Halo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭johndoe99

where's: Silent Hill, Sonic The Hedhehog, Call of Duty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    10 Mario games and not even a mention of Halo!

Proper order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Here Come The Pretzels

A best games list sans Street Fighter 2 or Doom 2 is a strange one to say the least.
    Ive never played Smackdown vs Raw but allegedly its its better than Street Fighter 2. Who Knew?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm pretty much a defender of MGS4, but so high on the list, and ABOVE MGS3? Nonsense.

Only GTA game in their top 100 of all time is GTAIV: The Ballad of Gay Tony? Over Vice City and San Andreas? Nonsense.

No Assassin's Creed 2? Nonsense.

I know these things are subjective, but man that's a shockingly poor list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Penn wrote: »
    I'm pretty much a defender of MGS4, but so high on the list, and ABOVE MGS3? Nonsense.

Only GTA game in their top 100 of all time is GTAIV: The Ballad of Gay Tony? Over Vice City and San Andreas? Nonsense.

No Assassin's Creed 2? Nonsense.

I know these things are subjective, but man that's a shockingly poor list.

Yeah man, the list is made by bunching together the games with the highest voter's score average. Some of the games that got in there have as low as 35-40 votes. What happened is that young kids went on and gave top marks to their favourite games, hence, the bias towards newer games and the shockingly disturbing amount of Pokemon games in it. The list is as worth as an empty 7UP can is to an elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Obviously made by a nintendo fanboy, no dungeon keeper on the list means the entire thing is garbage imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

To get something approaching a truly accurate top 100 list, I think you'd need to get about a dozen men in their 30's and 40's who have been gaming all their lives on a wide variety of hardware and across a wide variety of genres. Put them in a room and let them thrash it out. Otherwise you just end up with a bunch of more recent titles and/or biggest selling games etc.

I say that as someone who in no way fits the above bill, by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Proper order.
    Maybe for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

These type of lists are always way too subjective - diversity in games & genres, loyalty towards certain platforms etc.
    There's some excellent games I'll never play.
    I'll now destroy my credibility by saying Modern Warfare 2 is probably my favourite game but hey it's an opinion!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

No Ico? Suppose it was too simple for them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Maybe for kids.

Right, because Halo is the sophisticated, mature choice for the discerning, adult gamer :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I find discussion of these lists pointless as all they really are is a way of finding out what's currently fashionable as opposed to what's truly great. Ocarina seems almost like a Citizen Kane these days. It's status as the greatest evar is so firmly established that it becomes almost a self-perpetuating thing with no-one really prepared to question it. Although it's interesting to see that FFVII's mystique looks to be wearing off. I wonder if that's down to its over-exposure post-2006 or is it indicative of something else?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Demon's Souls at 67 and Half Life 2 above Half Life? No Dark Souls? Pitiful.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ah heyor, no Doom or Quake?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pretty much every GTA game should make a top 100 list. I've played a handful of the games on that list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Starcraft at 47; Portal 2 at 58, Diablo 2 at 79, Bio Shock at 99. Yea; I got some issues here with the list...

Missing on the top of my head Doom, Quake, Never Winter Nights, Baldurs Gate, multiple elder scrolls games, Syndicate, original Command & Conquer and Red Alert, Xcom, Ultima etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

snausages wrote: »
    I find discussion of these lists pointless as all they really are is a way of finding out what's currently fashionable as opposed to what's truly great. Ocarina seems almost like a Citizen Kane these days. It's status as the greatest evar is so firmly established that it becomes almost a self-perpetuating thing with no-one really prepared to question it. Although it's interesting to see that FFVII's mystique looks to be wearing off. I wonder if that's down to its over-exposure post-2006 or is it indicative of something else?

These X Greatest EVER! things are always silly, but Citizen Kane is still one of cinema's greatest masterpieces, and I've never heard a strong argument against that status (and yet it was displaced from top spot in the latest iteration of Sight & Sound's top whatever films of all time poll.)

IMO OoT is remarkably overrated, being a lesser game than both Link to the Past and (my admittedly more controversial opinion) Skyward Sword. Even with its legion of fans, that game has detractors with serious arguments, unlike the Welles movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The only lists i value are when people list their own favorite games/movies etc, just to see what individual people like. Always subjective, neither wrong or right. Personally i always have a different top 10 when i think about it and try to put it down. Besides my top 3 favorite games there are about 10-20 games that i could switch about any order and still be happy with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Xzbeat

San Andreas has to be one of the most over-rated games of all time though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

One positive is seeing Punch Out on it :D I poured so many hours into that game over my life so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Where is Elite, Tetris, Starglider, New Zealand Story, etc?
    Maybe it should be called the "Top 100 Games of the last 20 years" (not quite a catchy title though)

• Advertisement

• Surprised that Mass Effect 1 or 3 isn't on that list. It's disappointing that the original ending to ME3 overshadows just how great the rest of the game was. Also point and click adventure games, the likes of Monkey Island and Grim Fandango, never get a look in.

Advertisement