Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork/Kerry All-Ireland Football Final

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Cork by more then 5 points
    sneem-man wrote: »
    Our talking was done on the field...;)

Ya coulda at least looked happy afterwards - I've never seen so many of the All Ireland winning fans abandon Croke Park before their team is finished getting presented.

Heck everyone hates ya because you're too fudgecaking good:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Kerry by less then 5 points
    Sunday game team of the year.
    Diarmuid Murphy Dingle, Karl Lacey Four Masters, M Shields St Finbars, , Tom O Sullivan Rathmore , Tomas O Sea An Ghaeltacht, Graham Canty Bantry Blues, John Miskella Ballincollig, Dermot Earley Sarsfields, Seamus Scanlon Currow, Paul Galvin Finuge, Pearse O Neill Aghada, Paddy Kelly Ballincollig, Sean O Neill Clann Na nGael, Declan O Sullivan Dromid Pearses, Micheal Murphy Glenswilly

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Congrats Kerry, hard luck Cork.
    Who got man of the match on the sunday game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭helpisontheway

Tom O Sullivan and well deserved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Cork by less then 5 points
    A disappointing day once again for Cork football. Kerry tested out the ref early on and when Duffy wasn't punishing them they played on the edge and duly got away with some cynical fouls but at the end of the day Cork have only themselves to blame. Cork had too many wides and changes weren't made quick enough by the selectors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

not that long home and i am absolutely sickened i really think we kicked that game away, yes the kerry defence was superb but there was still many scoreable chances missed. kerry were very clinical in front of the posts and i certainly do not begrudge them their 36th all- ireland, what a county. i am truly envious.;)

i did think duffy was atrocious however - kennelly (had a great match and am really happy for him, why couldnt that dickhead morrissey just leave him be in the after-match interview) and tomas o'se should have walked, and o'sullivans two bounces before a superb point.
    those decisions probably wouldnt have affected the result too much as our forwards were too wayward in their shooting.

tom o'sullivan, what can you say, a really neat footballer, very slick on the ball - best corner back i have ever seen. definitely worthy of the man of the match. cannot believe he is 30, theres a man who minds his body, a fantastic example to any young footballer

as for cork, the only positives we can take is that we are a relatively young side (the kerry age profile is quite old, a good few over 30) with a lot of underage talent coming through the ranks. Colm O'Neill has the makings of a true great as does ciarán sheehan if he doesnt head down under. we will win an all-ireland within the next 3 years that i have no doubt. but sam is kerrys for the next 12 months and congratulations them, enjoy the celebrations. :)

corcaigh abú :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭lukin

Draw
    aDeener wrote: »

as for cork, the only positives we can take is that we are a relatively young side (the kerry age profile is quite old, a good few over 30)

corcaigh abú :)

We actually have quite a few around 30 ourselves (Quirke is 32, Miskella is 31, Lynch is 32, Canty is 30). We have nobody coming up to replace them.
    Most of Kerry's forwards are young (Cooper, Donaghy, Darren Sullivan, Tommy Walsh).
    I fear we will have a long wait to see Sam back on Leeside.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

lukin wrote: »
    We actually have quite a few around 30 ourselves (Quirke is 32, Miskella is 31, Lynch is 32, Canty is 30). We have nobody coming up to replace them.
    Most of Kerry's forwards are young (Cooper, Donaghy, Darren Sullivan, Tommy Walsh).

:rolleyes:

We have three All-ireland winning Under-21 teams to replace them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭lukin

Draw
    Orizio wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

We have three All-ireland winning Under-21 teams to replace them with.

Two:2007 and 2009. Kerry won it in 2008 but a lot of their players today never won an U-21 AI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

lukin wrote: »

did not realise miskella was that age :( (quirke being the keeper i wouldnt mind too much, keepers can play until 36/37 no problem.) that said though next year all 3 o'se's will be in their 30's, tom o'sullivan, griffin, mike mccarthy, scanlon perhaps, im not too sure. kennelly possibly back in australia, i wouldnt be that pessimistic lukin, keep the faith:)

so it looks like our problems for the future will lie in defence rather than in attack, polar opposite of the present! eoin cadogan to me appears to be an ideal replacement for lynch when he does call it a day. but will he stick to the big ball? what i would give to have had a 28 year old colin corkery on the pitch today :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Same old failings by this Cork team. In 19 years we have lost 4 AI's and won none. They are a pity at this stage. As a Corkman I was too young to remember the last time we won sam (1990) I was 4 and dont remember it unfortuntely. I am now worried that I wont live to see the day that Cork will win the AI. It makes me sick at the moment talking about it but when you are not good enough on AI final day, then you dont deserve to win title. Kerry have proven time and time again that they know what it takes to win an All Ireland. I thought this year would be Corks year but no again. This Cork team are now finished. They wont return from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

aDeener wrote: »
    kennelly (had a great match and am really happy for him, why couldnt that dickhead morrissey just leave him be in the after-match interview)

Glad to see that someone else in the country has the same opinion as myself. Morrissey is almost like he's looking for a job in the Sunday World the way he's going on over the last few weeks.

Great job by Kerry today, I couldn't be happier if I tried, but I'll say one thing about Cork, it's very close to the day that they're celebrating like we are today. Taking all of GAA football as it stands, and after the lessons they've learned today, its a very little amount of time before their captain stands up receiving Sam. They've played in one of the most honest All-Irelands in a long time and their time will come.

For today I'll celebrate, because I know, they'll get their revenge eventually (more then likely against us), and bring it on, the GAA needs some decent fair rivalry between honest teams.

Comiserations to Cork, but don't drop the head, don't forget Kerry went through 11 years of misery before the wheel turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Whats funny is you thinking that this Kerry team is anywhere near the greatest football team of all time.
    The standard of gaelic football over the last ten years has been very poor in general.

They can only beat whats in front of them, I agree standard of football is poor but that cannot be held against Kerry and their achievements. The record books don't lie and prove this has been a great era for this Kerry team and their domination on the game.

Cork were not good enough plain and simple, a major part of the game is taking your scores and Cork didn't have the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

LOL! :D Greatest team of all time, no. Did cork throw it away, imo, yes. :)

Never said they were the greatest, it is unfair to compare them to past teams on their ability but we can make a fair comment on what they have achieved and say it has been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Awake for the Train down...head splitting!
    What a 1st half. Brilliant scores, high intensity.
    The second half wasn't great, but that was down to tierdness and Kerry closing the game down.

Well done Cork, there's no doubt that they will win an All Ireland in the next 5 years.
    They have pace, strenght, skill but still lack a player or two. But should Lynch retire (a good thing for Cork IMO) Cadigan can easily come in, also Ray Carey is there if fit.

I think McStay came across as an old bitter Mayoman on the Sunday game, especially at Kennelly's challenge. Yes he got the Challenge wrong, but there was no intent. All these replays can be deceptive because its hard to judgh the point of contact. At the match it wass clear the elbow only came up that high after contact was made with the shoulder.
    Bad tecnique, but the right call by Marty Duffy to say "Calm Down"

I thought the ref was fair (which usually means he slightly favoured Kerry, as im fairly biased). He called a 1 or 2 soft free's for Kerry and a few for Cork as well. It was mainly the Cork fan's cries of injustice that lead people to beleive otherwise. Lynch could have (and should have) walked for his all out manhandling of Gooch in the first half.
    Likewise Tomás could have gone for his boot in on Canty. But this would have spoiled the game so he let it be.

Kerry's defence were awesome! 1-6 had a fantastic game, even after Tommy Griffin's poor start. Murphy made a vital save from Goulding that could have turned the match on its head.
    Cork's defence likewise, but gave away too many free's from leaving their man go past them and pulling them down. Cadigan looks a real prospect and made a super block on Tommy Walsh.

Midfield Turned out to be almost 50-50. Cork on top... Then Kerry... Then Cork again... Then Kerry again. Kerry just seemed to capitalise more on their possesion (51-49 according to the Sunday Game) from midfield then Cork did.

Kerry forwards played very well also. Galvin was magnificent, working like a Trojan and refusing to do something stupid with O'Leary (who was also v.well behaved I might add).
    Declan ran Miskella and Keiran O'Connor into the ground. Gooch was flawless from free's and set up most of our scores from play. Darran ran his heart out, and Tommy got the vital scores when needed. Finally Kennelly! What a story. To give so much up and to throw it all into the Kerry cause. Saw the interview on the Sunday Game and it brought tears to my eyes just watching it. (Disclaimer: This may have been the cause of drinking since 5 o'clock mixed in with emotion of the interview) He kicked two magnificent points (as well as a poor wide) but kept Canty quiet, which was the main thing.

Mi-Ádh Corcaigh- beidh bhúr lá agaibh fós.

Ciarrai Abú

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Draw
    Kerry's domination is getting boring. As Pat Spillane said yesterday, this All-Ireland win will have been forgotten in the county by Wednesday. Football and hurling are suffering from the domincation of Kerry and KIlkenny respectively.

It was a good final yesterday. I've heard some people are complaining about Tadhg Kennelly not being sent off (not here but on the radio this morning). In fairness, it was a red card offence but Cork have nobody but themselves to blame with the amount of wides they had.

I just hope somebody else can come through next year and bring a bit of romance back. No offence to the Kerry people but its boring seeing this team win time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Draw
    Its not getting any easier yet. That said, well done to Kerry. Well deserved win.

re DDC1990
    "At the match it wass clear the elbow only came up that high after contact was made with the shoulder.
    Nothing to do with bad technique. Bad "challenge". Were you wired up to ref when Duffy said "calm down"?
    Let it be said, Kerry played some terrific football. And they deserved to win. But absolutely no way you can condone Kenelly's challenge. And it was not just McStay who commented on challenge. Brolly and Spillane also agreed that Kenelly should have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

fantastic team performance from kerry and the best team won on the day. Cork can have no complaints.

This is Kerrys sweetest ever all ireland victory. and what a story for Tadhg, its one of the most amazing around. he was immense yesterday.

just so happy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Silas

Delighted for Tadgh. Saw his documentary Against All Odds last night on youtube again. Really good.

He probably will head back to Sydney now next year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Good man jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dhorgan3

Draw
    fantastic team performance from kerry and the best team won on the day. Cork can have no complaints.

This is Kerrys sweetest ever all ireland victory. and what a story for Tadhg, its one of the most amazing around. he was immense yesterday.

just so happy today.

I think the team that played the best on the day won :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

just so happy today.

Great feeling being a Kerryman today :):)

Draw
    newman10 wrote: »
    Great feeling being a Kerryman today :):)
    Aye, I'm sure it is. Enjoy it and the homecoming tonight.

I have a sinking feeling though that this week will drag! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

re DDC1990
    "At the match it wass clear the elbow only came up that high after contact was made with the shoulder.
    Nothing to do with bad technique. Bad "challenge". Were you wired up to ref when Duffy said "calm down"?
    Let it be said, Kerry played some terrific football. And they deserved to win. But absolutely no way you can condone Kenelly's challenge. And it was not just McStay who commented on challenge. Brolly and Spillane also agreed that Kenelly should have gone.
    1. Don't be rediculous, of course I wasn't wired up to Duffy, but its bloody clear when a ref is telling a player to calm down. He speaks sternly, holds both palms down and moves his arms up and down.

2. To be honest I couldn't give the proverbial what Pat Spillane or Joe Brolly say. Spillane thought Cork would win. He also said this All Ireland would be forgotton in Kerry by wednesday so he's clearly talking through his hat.

3. I never said it wasn't a bad challenge. It was but it wasn't intended to be. He was fired up, wanted to make an immediate impact and went to hit Murphy with his shoulder. Elbow came up, Yellow Card would have sufficed. But he was lucky to get away with it altogether.

Yes merely mentioned Brolly and Spillane to prove that McStay was not bitter. Not going to make a big deal about the Kenelly incident but don't dress challenge for something it was not.
    Either way he hit Cork player with his elbow. He should have walked. Does not make him a dirty player.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

We have no-one but ourselves to blame for losing yesterday, too many silly mistakes and a lack of All Ireland Final experience were the main factors in my opinion. Yesterdays match reminded me of the hurling final 2 weeks ago, Tipp had chances to put the game away but fell short when it came to the crunch. Cork dominated the game in the first 20 minutes of the second half in terms of possession but we couldn't score. Kerrigan, Goulding and O Connor were all guilty of missing easy chances. Colm o Neill had a great game but can't do it all on his own. Won some good possession but very little support from his team mates. Overall it's been a good year for Cork, we have a squad that is capable of winning an all-ireland, Counihan is definitely the man for the job and we have some great youngsters coming onto the panel. We will learn from this experience, Division 1 football next year will set us up nicely for the championship and the future looks good. When was the last time us Corkonions could say that about our footballers?????? Someone once said "You have to lose 1 before you win 1" hopefully this applies to us next year.

As for Kerry, comhgairdeas on your victory, had a great night in Citywest last night with Kerry lads, fine people that know how to win well and don't rub it in. Looking forward to being back next year and hopefully we won't leave it behind this time.

UP THE REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

now that ive had a chance to recover, ill post my thoughts on why kerry won this game.

kerry were the better team and deserved to win.
    cork just were no let to play football, kerry targeted their best players man to man.

kerry targeted Corks kick outs and how they noticed that Murphy had a tendancy to draw players in and then flick it to an over lapping wing back, ill never now. Cork didnt get the chance to do that the last day.

Miskella was not left to roam, Darran O sullivan put him on the back foot for the entire game, miskella was very little threat going forward.

they identified paddy kelly as corks key player. Killian young sacrificed his game to follow him everywhere and he ran himself into the ground.

They also indentified that if you stop canty, you stop cork, enter Tadhg who had a great game. He ran canty into the ground.

Very few players get the better of Thomas O Shea. Kerrigan was no exception.

Mike Mac kept O neill very Quite.

Tom Sullivan was immense. Griffan started slowly but then had a powerful game. The man to man match ups which beat dublin were evident again. Each and every one of the Kerry backs won their battle with 4 of them winning hands down.

Seamus Scanlon was brilliant. Paul Galvin was top class also and won an amount of breaking ball and did huge tracking back.

Cork kicked 14 wides, with Donnacha O Connor being involved in 6 of them (5 wides and missed another ball into him. in all fairness however, how many of these were actually "bad misses", i can think of 2, masters and the last kick of the game. alot of these came from way out, bad angles, kicks under pressure and players lacking in confidence. also a few of those were aimless balls that were not shots at goal (at least 4) that ran over the line.

For me, the 3 worst wides of the game were Paul Galvin, Tadhg and Donnacha, all who were within the 21 yard line. Paul also had a chance to take a handy point but ran on and lost possession.

Anthony Lynch was taken to the cleaners by Gooch who was out in front for every ball and that change should have been made quicker. Cadagin actually played really well when he came on.

very few, if any Cork players played to their summer standings, probably cos they were up against players who were the best they have played against all summer.

i think the early goal came too early, it drove kerry on and maybe got to cork. O Neill was hardly seen after it.

it generally was a clean game considering all the trouble in the last 4 games, 7 sendings off and 19 more yellows.

pitch was poor, alot of players were slipping on both sides. Gaa must do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

now that ive had a chance to recover, ill post my thoughts on why kerry won this game.

kerry were the better team and deserved to win.
    cork just were no let to play football, kerry targeted their best players man to man......................

Would agree with you to a certain extent, Cork made a big mistake by not pushing on after they scored the goal. The diagonal ball was replaced by wing backs and midfield running into corners and trying to walk the ball over the bar. This played right into Kerry's hands, there's no better team to stifle your play and then use their own game to destroy you.

Thought the ref was poor enough, Gooch won 2 or 3 very soft frees in the 1st half, reminded me a bit of Mulligan in the semi, I just hope these tactics don't become commonplace in gaelic football. Mind you he gave Cork some very debatable frees over the 70 so it probably evened itself out.

When the game was in the melting pot with 15 minutes to go you had the old warriors come to the fore for Kerry. What can you say about Tomas O Se, brilliant defending and the last point to put the game to bed. Cork don't have those type of players at the moment, it was always going to be a big gamble playing so many young forwards in an all-ireland but they had showed well all year and deserved their places. Thought Masters should've been on earlier. There was a point in it with 15 minutes to go and if he had got a couple of chances we missed he might've taken em and we could've got our belief back. Still we have a very young team and next year we'll be a year older and wiser!!!

Anydody read Canavan's article in The Star today, he thinks Tyrone will be kicking themselves because they would've really put it up to Kerry in the final had they beaten us, so sad and yet so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

Up the Rebels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Draw
    I was talking to a Meath man earlier, and he said, erra we know what its like ourselves to loose. I had to explain to him that he will not know what this feeling is like until the day that Meath loose to Dublin in an All Ireland final.

I think the only counties who really get that pain up to now are Armagh and Cork. Its bringing the biggest of the provincial rivalries to the big stage. It must feel great to win it, but absolutely devastating to loose it. I think loosing to Kilkenny in the hurling is easier to take for me than this loss.
    Anyway, anyone from Armagh up for a game of road bowling. Tyrone or Kerry wont beat us in that.

Advertisement