Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming work in Australia

• 31-05-2010 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hey everyone.

I'm going to Australia for a year in November. I'm just wondering where the best place to find fruit picking/farming jobs would be. I've never worked on a farm before but I know you have to do some form of farming work to get a 2nd year visa. Thinking of trying to get a job in this sector when I arrive the way I'll have it over and done with. Any information would be greatly appericated. :)

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Best to make connections in a city first, get word off a mate on a farm who works for someone decent. The farm labour industry is pretty unregulated and open to tonnes of abuse from dodgy employers, particularly in Queensland .

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Thanks for that. I also heard some hostels give you contact information about farming/fruit picking work as well. I'll look into it more. Any other information would be greatly appericated.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lynyg18

hi im just back from farming in oz, and found most work in south australia, working with poatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Efaol89

www.harvesttrail.com.au Thats a good website but just remember not all the jobs listed on the website (eg nanny) are counted as the regional work.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anfieldrd

Thinking of heading to Oz in october for a few months, maybe just north of adelaide for the harvest season. Any tips or advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 RaZZTheKiD

im in queensland now with my girlfriend, we are here a week and looking for some work doing farming, so if any can help???

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

check www.gumtree.com.au the farming section on that has alot of work available

make sure you have your own transport as this is generally a huge plus you will find it alot easier to get work if you have your own car.

im currently on my last 3 weeks of regional work i will ask my employer if he has anymore work available and let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

I'm heading to Melbourne in a few weeks, and my plan was to get the farm work out of the way first, rather than renting a place in Melbourne only to have to move out to the sticks a few weeks later.

there doesnt seem to be much info on it, alot of the gumtree adds have been up there for weeks, and I noticed some Irish lads put up adds looking for farm work, must be tough to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I also heard some hostels give you contact information about farming/fruit picking work as well. I'll look into it more. Any other information would be greatly appericated.

If you find out which hostels have the contact info, send them this way;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RaZZTheKiD

Im in Innisfail which is about 1 hour south of cairns and they have a few working hostels that get you work, its mainly banana or sugarcane farms that you work on but its fairly decent pay, between $18 and $20 p/h

sometimes you could be waiting for work for a week or 2 but i got a job within a week and while i was waiting for permanent work i was doing a couple of odd jobs to get me by

the hostel im staying in is called "codge lodge" and is the best one in the town, definitly the cleanest aswell!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

This is the PDF that lists the acceptable postcodes for work.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1263.pdf

It also lists the jobs that are acceptable for this work.

My postcode is on this list in Victoria. I'm a one hour drive, or one hour on the train, from Melbourne. The rural work requirement of the 2nd WHV doesn't have to involve travelling to the middle of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 me24

If you are looking for fruit picking work a good way to start is through hostels in the regional postcode areas. The hostels will usually have it on their website if they organise fruit picking, etc. Farmers usually contact the hostel when they are looking for workers because it saves them the bother of having to advertise and deal with applicants. The hostels normally run transport to the farms each day too, probably for a small fee. Just remember you have to actually stay in the hostels for them to organise the work for you!

Fruit picking can be either hourly pay or contract (paid for what you pick). It can be long days and hard work, especially if you are thinking of doing it in summer. But it is one of the main ways to get your second year visa so has to be done!

Working on a farm is another option. This work is usually in more rural areas and often transport is required. Gumtree, TAW, harvest trail, job4travellers are some good job sites to get you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

This is the PDF that lists the acceptable postcodes for work.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1263.pdf

It also lists the jobs that are acceptable for this work.

My postcode is on this list in Victoria. I'm a one hour drive, or one hour on the train, from Melbourne. The rural work requirement of the 2nd WHV doesn't have to involve travelling to the middle of nowhere.

Hi sweeper,

A friend of mine is desperately looking for rural work round Melbourne. Just wondering if your place is looking for people and if it is would you be able to send me the contact details.

Cheers

Advertisement