Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

• 28-04-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a new smartphone and have been looking earnestly at the Desire and Xperia X10. Now that i've spotted this new Samsung phone its made me stop and wonder whether I'm better off waiting until June(The supposed release date for this phone). The screen looks absolutely stunning, makes the iPhone screen look cheap and dull. I wouldnt be a big fan of the housing though, too much 'chrome' around the sides and the back looks like an iPhone. In fact the interface with the Samsung TouchWiz UI looks cartoony with icons like the iphone too :( The spec is very impressive though except maybe the camera at 5MP, 8MP seems to be the norm these days but that wouldnt be a deal breaker for me.
    So what do others think?

Specs

Video

5 reasons to wait

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

*bump*
    Review here: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s-review-478.php

Excerpt:
    Final words

We tested the Samsung I9000 Galaxy S and it tested us in return. It bared its teeth at us and so did we. Ours was a grin. Easy boy, good beast. There goes the new leader of the Android pack. The Samsung I9000 Galaxy S has oomph to spare and even hardened geeks like us cannot help but acknowledge its compelling power.

Not only does the Galaxy have a performance edge over its competitors, it's probably better too in terms of usability thanks to TouchWiz. And the majestic Super AMOLED display is a great reason on its own to buy the Galaxy. Be warned though, you're unlikely to ever go back to TFT again. Meaning that at this point, the question to ask yourself is whether you're ready for a long-term affair with Samsung.

If you are looking for the ultimate Android device, there are very few things really to make you consider another handset.

Impressive response in this video:

Think it might be my next one when Android 2.2 Froyo is released for it later in the year!
    Adds flash support and stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

it looks like crap (seriously it looks like a bad iphone clone) however if the video is actually it response time then it will more then make up for it.

However I would be interested to know if it will get an upgrade to 2.2 at any point

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

it looks like crap (seriously it looks like a bad iphone clone) however if the video is actually it response time then it will more then make up for it.

However I would be interested to know if it will get an upgrade to 2.2 at any point

Yeah for such an amazing phone underneath it looks really tacky and cheap on the outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

It is getting Android 2.2 as I said, and I wish people would stop using the words "iPhone clone" seriously, iPhone isn't the be all and end all of touchscreen phones (don't take that to mean I'm saying Android or Samsung phones are either!)

How can you say if looks like crap when it has a bigger brighter screen, it's lighter, has the same button layout and such?
    They look almost identical to me physically, and Android looks like a good OS, Some people are just too hard to please:
    clipboard01qz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

BopNiblets wrote: »
    It is getting Android 2.2 as I said, and I wish people would stop using the words "iPhone clone" seriously, iPhone isn't the be all and end all of touchscreen phones (don't take that to mean I'm saying Android or Samsung phones are either!)

How can you say if looks like crap when it has a bigger brighter screen, it's lighter, has the same button layout and such?
    They look almost identical to me physically, and Android looks like a good OS, Some people are just too hard to please:
    clipboard01qz.jpg

I agree. When I saw the Galaxy S in the GSMArena review the first thing I thought was "God, that looks an awful lot like an iPhone".

While I don't particularly like the look of the iPhone, which in turn turns me off the look of the Galaxy S, I wouldn't go as far as to say the Galaxy S looks either "really tacky and cheap" or "like crap", as some of the previous posters stated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

does anyone here have one of these phones? care to share the pros/cons of it?
    battery life, camera, browsing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

I have it... First few days the battery life was terrible but I soon fixed that by turning off a few things and generally setting it up properly.

I now regularly use it to read Ebooks at lunch, music on the walks to and from places and the odd film or TV episode when I'm in bed.

So far it can do all that without skipping a beat. My only complaint is the manual only covers so much!

Web browsing is... good leaps and bounds beyond my old E71 thats for sure.
    Photo's seem good too but I'm not much of a picture taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yeah for such an amazing phone underneath it looks really tacky and cheap on the outside!

Coming from someone who has dropped his nearly every day, It's flexible, light and sturdy.

Would I prefer a heavy weight desire or a fragile iphone 4, no way!!

whats the story with Apps? or how you buy them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

whats the story with Apps? or how you buy them?

At the moment, the free market is only available but they have said paid market should be available in the next week or two.

I suppose the biggest negative the phone has (but isn't an issue for me) is that it doesn't come with a flash for the camera but I love the phone.

It is absolutely brilliant :)

• Advertisement

cheers folks.

Planty of reveiws on the net have it close or thereabouts with the iphone 4.

Pity theres no flash on the camera tho.

cheers folks.

Planty of reveiws on the net have it close or thereabouts with the iphone 4.

Pity theres no flash on the camera tho.

Yea but it's got reception, something you can brag about to iphone users:)

*bump*

Anyone else wanna add anything to this thread before i go ahead and purchase?!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Anyone else wanna add anything to this thread before i go ahead and purchase?!!

tried one in the shop and was really disgusted ..

a) How much of an iphone ripoff the OS is
    b) How yikky it felt in comparison
    c) How clunky and unresponsive the OS felt (it was pretty loaded of apps though)
    d) Felt huge in my hands.

BTW .. i generally really really like samsung phones I have one and I've had 2 before, but using this phone had me feel like i was using a chinese iphoney with 3g meh.

*bump*

Anyone else wanna add anything to this thread before i go ahead and purchase?!!:D

It is a brilliant phone and well worth it, I love everything about it, it feels nice in the hand, touch screen is brilliant, screen is amazing. All in all a bloody good phone :D

was.deevey wrote: »

c) How clunky and unresponsive the OS felt (it was pretty loaded of apps though)

BTW .. i generally really really like samsung phones I have one and I've had 2 before, but using this phone had me feel like i was using a chinese iphoney with 3g meh.

Completely disagree but there you go... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

*bump*

there is a proper thread on this in the android forum, probably best to read that first

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055952456

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭cantalach

was.deevey wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

WARNING: Strong language - not workplace/child friendly unless you're wearing headphones.

cantalach wrote: »

WARNING: Strong language - not workplace/child friendly unless you're wearing headphones.

Brilliant, so true to life:D

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

cantalach wrote: »

YouTube has blocked this video for Irish users - because of ComCast's so called copyright infringements?!

• Advertisement

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    YouTube has blocked this video for Irish users - because of ComCast's so called copyright infringements?!

Screw You Tube, here you go http://www.break.com/index/iphone-4-vs-htc-evo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MURDO

class. just class. F@~ckin prints money. lol

Advertisement