Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council Water Conservation - What a joke!

• 12-03-2012 1:43pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was walking to to the shops today when I came across these.

What a joke. The DCC lads in the fan taking a break while the water is being wasted. We'll have to pay a water charge for this?

photo1vhy.th.jpg
    photo2ppo.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

Hard to tell from the pictures, but maybe they were repairing a burst main?
    Is that a pump in the second picture, for bailing out holes full of water?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

photo1gc.jpg
    By roealdo at 2012-03-12

photo2ddn.jpg
    By roealdo at 2012-03-12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It wasnt burst this morning and from seeing the lady who owns the garden to arrive home to discover this mess I dont think it was a burst pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

One burst main and water conservation is now a joke? Overreacting much?

I dont think it was burst and regardless if it was or not DCC are campaigning for water conservation yet their lads flute about while water is just pissing away from a hole in the ground.

If there is a leak isolate it. Its not hard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

godtabh wrote: »
    I dont think it was burst and regardless if it was or not DCC are campaigning for water conservation yet their lads flute about while water is just pissing away from a hole in the ground.

Is it possible that the burst pipe was fixed and thus a pump positioned into the hole to pump out the water from the hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Did you ask them what the story was?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

godtabh wrote: »

I think you are over reacting to what is clearly work in progress the fact they were on their tea break is irrelevant.
    The vehicles are unmarked which means it could be a private contractor carrying out an illegal connection to the distribution system. This is unlikely as the road surface has been identified for excavation by the yellow markings. Water will be lost for an invasive maintenance work the same as the human body blood will be lost if an artery has to be cut.
    Some leaks do not surface in the immediate area of the leak it depends on the subsoil type and the road surface let it be tarmac/ asphalt /concrete /
    Leak detection by correlation is not an exact science the pipe type and condition has to be known to get the distance to the leak.
    Looks like a sizeable water main judging by the equipment they have to hand.
    This could be a trunk main to a DMA and strict procedures have to be adhered to before the can be isolated Notices in local papers/Radio and fire departments Isolation could affect thousands of consumers.
    Repairing leaks on live mains is messy but when continuity of supply is paramount it’s the only way.

Advertisement