Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drink Of The Week

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Locamon wrote: »
    havn't found anyone selling it in Dublin -any suggestions?
    The Czech Inn, funnily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

BeerNut wrote: »

Last time I was in there....quite a while ago... they didn't have it -will try there again at the weekend:D

Definitely seen it there, in the fridge behind the downstairs bar.

Definitely seen it there, in the fridge behind the downstairs bar.

Will post how it goes:) I well believe they have a bottle alright but I have spotted the stuff in a few places but they wouldn't sell it:confused: Said it was only for display -or maybe for the staff:pac:

Will post how it goes
    Don't put yourself out on my account :) I'm convinced they only give it to tourists for a laugh.

• Advertisement

Don't put yourself out on my account :) I'm convinced they only give it to tourists for a laugh.

tried it as a tourist myself but actually found it is great as a pick up after midnight... a red bull without the caffeine overdose... as long as you don't have more than 2!!

Love a drop of Becherovka... got hooked on it in Prague but havn't found anyone selling it in Dublin -any suggestions? A few bars do have bottles but only for display and don't actually sell it

Funnily enough they don't sell it:(

Sorry! Hope you found something else nice to drink.

Sorry! Hope you found something else nice to drink.

sure did:D have to make a trip back to the Czech republic I think, though nearly every bar in Poland sold it as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Hit the local offie's Cooler today ... looking forward to a nice few beers over the next couple of nights.

Chimay Red 7%
    Chimay Blue 9%

Gloiath Bitter 4.2%

6 Mooseheads 5% which I have always thought nice thirst quenchers and good value.

Then spotted a new brand (on me that is) Baltika. It appears to be a whole range of beers and they are all numbered.

I got Baltika No 6 Porter 7%
    & No 8 Wheat Beer 5%

Was going to finish there but noticed the lack of Irish beer. Had another quick look and low and behold they had some Arainn Mhór so I had to support the local lads too.

Got the Bán 4.2% which I'm guessing is a Pale Ale

And also the Rua 5.2% which I'm guessing is a red Ale

but have no idea ... anybody know???

Looking forward to cracking these open.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Danska vodka. It's beautiful, with 7up or soda water. Haven't been able to source it here yet though. I usually get a bottle or two from Spain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I stand by 10 YO Jameson, straight, at room temperature, no ice, no water. Its so smooth.

Was going to finish there but noticed the lack of Irish beer. Had another quick look and low and behold they had some Arainn Mhór so I had to support the local lads too.
    Well not really. It's made in Belgium. The label is pretty damn disingenuous.
    Got the Bán 4.2% which I'm guessing is a Pale Ale
    Paler than pale ale -- it's a blonde.
    And also the Rua 5.2% which I'm guessing is a red Ale
    Along those lines.

Belgium :eek: ... That's just not Criket ... I mean Hurling

It actually states no where on the label where it's made. Just says Brewed in the EU which is quite vague :mad:

Then says

Arainn Mhór Island
    County Donegal
    Ireland

which is more of a statement of where the Island is :rolleyes:

Also their website has been suspended. Think I'll boycott such devious marketing tactics in the future.

The Baltika Porter was nice though ... slightly on the sweet side but nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Belgium :eek: ... That's just not Criket ... I mean Hurling.

Oh yea an then some

Fanatic Baltic porter :) and it dirty little secret is its a lager or at least a form of one

It actually states no where on the label where it's made. Just says Brewed in the EU which is quite vague :mad:

Then says

Arainn Mhór Island
    County Donegal
    Ireland

which is more of a statement of where the Island is :rolleyes:
    Yeah. My take on it is here, and my amateur legal interpretation is here.

Think I'll boycott such devious marketing tactics in the future.
    If you can spot it. This sort of thing is designed not to be noticed.

Yeah. My take on it is here, and my amateur legal interpretation is here. I contend that "the average consumer" would be led by this wording to believe that the beer was Irish-made,

Well I certainly was caught out by it ... but hey don't call me average ;)

There is no way that you can tell it is not an Irish beer by the label? :mad:

I've tried the Bán and did not find it anyway exciting so it will not be a hard one to ignore in fututre.

oblivious wrote: »
    Oh yea an then some

Fanatic Baltic porter :) and it dirty little secret is its a lager or at least a form of one

On a second taste(2nd bottle) of this I could really get what was like molasses or just treacle mixed into it. Gets quite sweet after a while and a bit sickly. Still better than a Heineken though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Very nice drink indeed, can't believe the range was new to you though.

I've seen Baltika Ice in my local offie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Love a drop of Becherovka... got hooked on it in Prague but havn't found anyone selling it in Dublin -any suggestions? A few bars do have bottles but only for display and don't actually sell it:confused:

Hi

I had this beer in "Le Cirk" bar on Dame Street. It's very nice indeed, sorry if anyone else has already said this but I'm in a hurry!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

rubadub wrote: »
    I like beamish, and I always thought if it costed MORE than guinness more people might try it, it has a weird stigma attached to it.

ahh beamish the student's stout. i love it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

A PSG - as invented by a couple of lads in Portugal last year

1 measure Pernod
    1 measure Galliano
    1/2 measure blue curacao
    Ice
    In a tall glass and topped of with lemonade

- Class and refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

DBCyc wrote: »

+1 Absolutely loved it.

A properly chilled chablis, huggled up in bed, snug and warm......?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

A delicious white russian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wine_Guy

Altano 2006, Portugeuse table wine, Red..
    Had last year and it was a nice firm red, but over the last few months, these tannins have died down, leaving an interesting mazipan/almon nose and a velvety texture....wow and only 9quid

I've had a very interesting journey of late with different Portuguese wines (it helps that my parents emigrated there years ago). What I keep stocking up on are the half-bottles of Vinho Verde- even the ubiqitous Gazella properly chilled is lovely in the evening when you come in from work. I know that most people take the piss out of Matteus- but they host an annual Rose competition- and bottle the winning entries as quarter bottles which tend to be low volume limited edition wines that get snapped up. I'm not fond of the fortified wines- or the incredibly sweet desert wines- and have tended to play safe, though why bother when even the regional table wines can be a revelation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 paddyronan

Havana club mojito great kick start to a good night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MOHPremierWine

McGuigan's Signature Shiraz
    A friend gave me this last week, and I blind-tasted it amongst other wines from Australia(a tough job but someone has to do it!). I was blown away to discover that it is currently in Tesco, reduced to €6.99. It knocked the socks off wines twice its price.
    Made by a great wine-producing family down-under; I believe they have some connection with Armagh.
    Atttractive aromas of vanilla and blueberry. Full-bodied, inky blueberry (ie sweet/savoury), plums, lead pencil, coffee, vanilla. Firm tannins. Really complex, amazing value at this price. ;)

Advertisement