Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF Aengus O'Snodaigh has claimed €50,000 in expenses for Printer Ink

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

He printed his leaflets on regular printers rather than using the big industrial photocopier that everyone else uses. Lazy and stupid.

He didn't break any rules however and doesn't do it anymore.

Just how many leaflets did he need to print in 2007 and 2008?

Is there corresponding paper costs to go with these leaflets?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

golfball37 wrote: »
    An expense from 5 years ago brought to light the same week polls show SF as gaining ground on FF.

I'm not suggesting anything of course but if this expense had been accrued in the current climate then Mr O'Snoddy should be removed from office.

2007/08 was a different time in economic terms however.

I mentioned that earlier, but yes, the timing is very interesting, as are the sources of the initial information that the journalist had.
    Also the fact that Micheal Martin is calling for a full investigation smacks of the double standards within FF.
    That doesnt make what AOS did right btw.

He printed his leaflets on regular printers rather than using the big industrial photocopier that everyone else uses. Lazy and stupid.

He didn't break any rules however and doesn't do it anymore.

That doesn't make what he did morally and ethically right however. Especially when you consider the climate we are now in (and indeed were in at the time)

It is very difficult now for SF to take the high moral ground against excessive use of funds for expenses, borrowing from the IMF etc when they have a person in their ranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Here's the Morning Ireland audio, for anyone who missed it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

kippy wrote: »
    I mentioned that earlier, but yes, the timing is very interesting, as are the sources of the initial information that the journalist had.
    Also the fact that Micheal Martin is calling for a full investigation smacks of the double standards within FF.
    That doesnt make what AOS did right btw.

Is it not a case of those who throw stones should make damn sure they aren't in a glasshouse?

Perhaps the timing is 'suspect' - but then the timing of McGuinness' remarks about Gallagher were equally suspect. That's politics - use information to maximum advantage.
    If O Snodaigh hadn't been slipping ink cartridge into his pocket every time he was in Leinster House there wouldn't be a story in the same way as if Sean Gallagher hadn't tried to claim he had severed all ties with FF, and he had never been more then a lowly grassroots member in the first place, his fund raising activities on behalf of FF would also have been a non-story.

The simple fact is SF have raged about everything, including the abuse of expenses, allowances and perks - and indeed the whole system is absurd - but SF TDs appear to be just as willing to 'work the system' they so enjoy ranting about. This has the effect of making their public statements so at odds with their actions that they just look like all the rest of our 'working the system' public representatives rather then the genuine alternative they like to present themselves as being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Thanks for the link, altho it's very difficult to listen to, either there is a terrible echo on his line or he is stuttering at a frightening rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I think if he is not a thief then this is a sign of the future if SF ever got into power.

SF have nothing but competent for the middle class, they will waste all our money and squeeze us with taxes until we can't give any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

I don't like his toner, sure he said things have changed now and he's turning over a new leaf but its taken him 3.2 million to be exact. Just goes to sure the laser faire attitude of our politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Christ,

People saying he should have used recycled cartridges etc.

Why not just ****ing email his rubbish propaganda out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Dunno what more pathetic, O'Snodaigh or Martin's desperate attempt to keep himself relevant: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/ff-leader-calls-for-inquiry-into-osnodaighs-use-of-printer-ink-541529.html

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Is it not a case of those who throw stones should make damn sure they aren't in a glasshouse?

Perhaps the timing is 'suspect' - but then the timing of McGuinness' remarks about Gallagher were equally suspect. That's politics - use information to maximum advantage.
    If O Snodaigh hadn't been slipping ink cartridge into his pocket every time he was in Leinster House there wouldn't be a story in the same way as if Sean Gallagher hadn't tried to claim he had severed all ties with FF, and he had never been more then a lowly grassroots member in the first place, his fund raising activities on behalf of FF would also have been a non-story.

The simple fact is SF have raged about everything, including the abuse of expenses, allowances and perks - and indeed the whole system is absurd - but SF TDs appear to be just as willing to 'work the system' they so enjoy ranting about. This has the effect of making their public statements so at odds with their actions that they just look like all the rest of our 'working the system' public representatives rather then the genuine alternative they like to present themselves as being.
    I dont disagree with anything of that.
    Power corrupts etc.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Manco wrote: »
    Dunno what more pathetic, O'Snodaigh or Martin's desperate attempt to keep himself relevant: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/ff-leader-calls-for-inquiry-into-osnodaighs-use-of-printer-ink-541529.html

The Fianna Fáil leader Micháel Martin called for an inquiry into the matter.

As said in comment number 3

Until Michael martin comes clean on bertie & the rest of his FF friends, Maybe he should stay quite.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Christ, its only going to get worse now with the announcement of a referendum. His printer will be on overdrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Have the Shinners never heard of email? Saves an awful lot of paper and erm . . . ink . . .

mary lou has just come out and said he did not realise the value of ink cartridges, that's her defence, pathetic.

SF out of touch with the common man, they don't know value of ink cartridges:D

mary lou has just come out and said he did not realise the value of ink cartridges, that's her defence, pathetic

She also passed the blame on to "the system".

mary lou has just come out and said he did not realise the value of ink cartridges, that's her defence, pathetic.

SF out of touch with the common man, they don't know value of ink cartridges:D
    Thats indicitive of the problems.
    Politicians know the value of very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

But, but, but - how does someone "on the average industrial wage" not notice that they are spending more than their wage on printer ink?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There is a serious stINK about all this.

JustinDee wrote: »
    She also passed the blame on to "the system".

it's like the poverty trap, he is stuck in the Leinster House trap, with corruption all around him he just could not help himself.

• Advertisement

I think the worst could be yet to come.

His Dry Cleaning bill will be through the roof, those cartridges leak like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

The real issue with this is that it was resolved about 2 years ago and it's still the best Michael Martin could come up with.

As far as I know in most situations recycled cartridges are not an option due to warranty issues with printer manufacturers.

It's still a crazy figure, The only way I can figure it working is if they were using a inkjet style printer though to go through that amount of ink, especially with the fact that it was happening on a daily basis. But to use that type of printer on that scale would be absolutely insane.

I still can't help but think it's just a drop in the ocean. They all had their perks, we just need people to get pissed off enough to leak them.

There is a serious stINK about all this.

It is certainly an even bigger blot on their political image . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It's toner at issue, not ink afaik. Full colour laserprinter cartridges.

Given that common sense tells us he didn't use that much toner for his constituency needs, there's really only two questions arise:

1. If he got actual cartridges, or claimed for same.
    2. If it's actual cartridges, where did they end up - SF HQ or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

golfball37 wrote: »
    An expense from 5 years ago brought to light the same week polls show SF as gaining ground on FF.

I'm not suggesting anything of course but if this expense had been accrued in the current climate then Mr O'Snoddy should be removed from office.

2007/08 was a different time in economic terms however.

So it was ok to spend 4 or 5 times more than anyone else in 2007/2008.
    But of course this is SF we are dealing with where it was ok to kidnap and murder people 20/30 years ago. :rolleyes:

Your argument might have some weight if it weren't for the fact he refused to pay back some of the cost in the last couple of years. :rolleyes:

If any printer went through this amount of ink/toner then it would be in rag order and if it is a laser then it has a counter which could verify his claims it was all user by himself.

Also over on politics.ie somebody who worked with him mentioned a leaflet printing machine which would even lead to more questions why he was then printing on lasers/inkjets when he had a leaflet printer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

So they are pretty much the highest party average for claiming expenses, they have shady developers linked with them who have ruined peoples lives, they are still in denial of some of the most horrific acts on this island, they engage in extremely dirty politics (last minute destruction of Sean Gallagher's Presidential bid) and one of them claims more in two years for ink then a huge portion of their support would earn in total wages over two years.

Who is the new FF?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

alastair wrote: »
    It's toner at issue, not ink afaik. Full colour laserprinter cartridges.

Given that common sense tells us he didn't use that much toner for his constituency needs, there's really only two questions arise:

1. If he got actual cartridges, or claimed for same.
    2. If it's actual cartridges, where did they end up - SF HQ or elsewhere.

It's actual cartridges, he physically took them from the Dail. It's unlikely that they were used for SF HQ as if that was the case all the SF TD's would be taking them so it wouldn't be so noticeable.

The amount of ink he took would have meant that his printer was running every minute the constituency office was open and you would have to wonder how any sane/intelligent/normal person wouldn’t realize that there are more cost effective ways of printing. Who really sits at their office PC and hits print on a 15,000 unit jobs, it would be so infeasible.

But the ink cost would just be the tip of the iceberg, there is also paper and delivery costs which would make the ink costs seem tiny.

I feel the Shinners need to come out and explain this situation or every time Mary-Lou stands up to complain about the government’s spending no one will listen. It really is time for our political parties to lead by example and cut the people milking the system, but I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

4.3kwh South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

O'Snodaigh insists that this is all above board and he was merely printing information for use in his local constituency.

The only stuff from O'Snodaigh I ever got through the letterbox was the standard election stuff.
    I'd love to hear what he's printing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

I feel the Shinners need to come out and explain this situation or every time Mary-Lou stands up to complain about the government’s spending no one will listen. It really is time for our political parties to lead by example and cut the people milking the system, but I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

He should apologise, pay the money back and move on. I can't stand SF but I ain't going to demand his resignation cause that would involve a bit of class from him and he has none. Pay the money back to us, and we will call it quits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've seen 3.5 million pages of A4 mentioned, a 1000 pages of "80 gm" paper weights 5 KGs so that's 17.5 tonnes of paper. Where was he getting the paper? How did he get it from a to b? Then there is the distribution of same, was it done door to door by SF volunteers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement