Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Captain Slog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

4.98Km in 44:26 (8:55 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Conditions underfoot (and under-tyre) have taken a turn for the worse. I only ventured out to the club grounds on the vague off chance that some of the juveniles would have a sudden rush of blood to the head and actually turn up for training!! While I was there I took advantage of the opportunity to get in a sneaky 5 laps. There was now a nice 2-inch layer covering the whole field and progress was slower than yesterday. I enjoyed the run more though, and even toyed with the idea of doing a couple more. Sense prevailed and I packed up and skidded home to the open fire.

Total this Week: 9.96Km
    Total this Month: 28.59Km
    Total this Year: 1,533.98Km
    Runs this Week: 2
    Runs 161 out of 334 days (48%)

Average runs per week: 3.37
    Average distance per week: 32.23Km

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Damn, and I thought I was going to pass you out on the 1000 mile challenge :)

RayCun wrote: »
    Damn, and I thought I was going to pass you out on the 1000 mile challenge :)

The way I drive in these conditions you might have a better chance in passing me out on the road :D

Bring it on. I whooped Littlebug's a** last year (to 500 miles) with a sneaky 16-lapper on the 29th Dec during last year's freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Bring it on. I whooped Littlebug's a** last year (to 500 miles) with a sneaky 16-lapper on the 29th Dec during last year's freeze.

Oi this is between you and Raycun:mad: leave my (well whooped:o) a** out of it !

Joking :pac:
    Fair play for getting out in that weather and not breaking anything!

littlebug wrote: »
    Fair play for getting out in that weather and not breaking anything!

I had more hassle doing the 10 mile round trip than the 5 laps. Was a bit hairy so now looking for some other alternative.

The 200 metre circumference green in our estate is looking more and more inviting. Now how far would 33 laps of that bring me:rolleyes:

This year's running is not over yet:p

• Advertisement

5.18Km in 49:58 (9:39 min/Km) around Ballivor

A combination of cabin fever and downright bloody-mindedness brought me out for this run. It was “crunchy” underfoot, with icy stretches confined to people’s drives and crossing points at roads. Took it very handy. Just glad to be out and moving again.

Total this Week: 15.14Km
    Total this Month: 5.18Km
    Total this Year: 1,539.16Km
    Runs this Week: 3
    Runs 162 out of 337 days (48%)

Average runs per week: 3.37
    Average distance per week: 32.23Km

4.91Km in 39:41 (8:05 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Braved the back roads out to Frayne for the first time in about 2 weeks. Much of the field was free of snow, with only the more sheltered areas retaining a crunchy/slippery covering.

With the lack of miles in the legs this was a difficult outing. Average speed down but average heart beat up. Need to get a couple of weeks of consistent mileage into me. Any plans for a 10K PB this side of the New Year are now consigned to the realms of fantasy. I’ll be glad just for a decent run on the 26th.

Emphasis is now on completing the 1,000-mile challenge (currently at 959.44 miles) for 2010.

Total this Week: 4.91Km
    Total this Month: 10.09Km
    Total this Year: 1,544.07Km
    Runs this Week: 1
    Runs 163 out of 347 days (46.9%)

Average runs per week: 3.29
    Average distance per week: 31.23Km

I'll have to go for a run this evening :)

I'll have to go for a run this evening :)

Depending on how many places of decimal we are taking this to I estimate you would need to run 0.0406167973847 miles to overtake me :D

4.92Km in 36:38 (7:27 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Very cold. Took advantage of the small number turning up for training to get some laps in myself. Better to be shouting encouragement as they pass by me rather than standing around freezing waiting for them to come back into view. The kids always get a kick out of me making an effort

Total this Week: 9.83Km
    Total this Month: 15.01Km
    Total this Year: 1,548.99Km (962.4977630631906 miles)
    Runs this Week: 2
    Runs 164 out of 348 days (46.9%)

• Advertisement

9.99Km in 1:16:04 (7:37 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

D*mn you Sporttracks 3.0!! Normally this distance, on uploading, would be rounded up to 10.xxKm. If I’d known of this new non-rounding feature I would have run the extra 100m myself….

A very cold evening. Not feeling the love at all. Still, keep the head down, not long now to 1,000 miles. If the forecasted snow doesn’t scupper my fiendish plan, that is.

This is the first 3-run week since early October. The secret of my success prior to the DCM was consistency, increased number of weekly runs, and consequential increased mileage. Need to get back into that groove again.

Races on the horizon: Navan 10Km, 26th December 2010; Meath Senior Cross Country, 16th January 2011; Raheny 5 Mile, 30th January 2011.

Total this Week: 19.82Km
    Total this Month: 25.00Km
    Total this Year: 1,558.98Km (968.7052612383736 miles)
    Runs 165 out of 350 days (47.1%)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Extra 10m, dont feel so bad - god im such an accountant, i need to get a life. Fair play though good to see you back in the swing of things

Two weeks to do 32 miles - no problem

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Extra 10m,

Doh!!!

I knew the marathon shouldn't have been 262miles:D Decimal places suck :rolleyes:

Two weeks to do 32 miles - no problem

You'd think so. If I get grounded again for a week then the pressure will be on.

5.01Km in 39:11 (7:50 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

This must be the coldest daylight run I have ever done. It was –1 when I started and it went down to –2 as I was finishing. The cold is playing dicky with my breathing, slowing my pace, which in turn is playing dicky with my calves and right thigh.

Pleased to get in a 4-run week at last. I fear I’ve lost a lot of the gains from the marathon training. Won’t know for sure until I have a few consistent weeks under my belt.

The finish of the 1000-mile challenge is in sight, but tantalisingly just out of reach. If I manage to get in 10 x 3-mile runs/trudges/stumbles I should manage it.

Total this Week: 24.83Km
    Total this Month: 30.01Km
    Total this Year: 1,563.99Km (971.8183309467456 miles)
    Runs this Week: 4
    Runs 166 out of 353 days (47%)

Average distance per week: 31.01Km

5.13Km in 39:42 (7:45 min/Km) Club Grounds

Have a bulging disc in my neck/upper back at the moment. The pain is sucking the joy out of life. That about puts paid to the 1,000-mile challenge for 2010.

Total this Week: 5.13Km
    Total this Month: 35.14Km
    Total this Year: 1,569.12Km (975.0059651629214 miles)
    Runs 167 out of 361 days (46%)

Average runs per week: 3.19
    Average distance per week: 29.92Km

Sorry to hear about the disc trouble. How did you do on the 5 mile and 10k targets?

Maudling Musings

2010 was a mixed bag in so far as running was concerned. The high point was the Dunboyne 4 Mile on 28th March. That day everything just clicked. The weather and running gods smiled. The low point must be that sinking feeling around 16 miles into the DCM when I knew it was going to be a long, long struggle just to get to the finish line.

Training wise saw August coming in at nearly 250Km. The LSRs for the DCM helped this in no small measure. It is noteworthy that my 5 mile PB came in September. Just shows what consistent mileage and regular runs can do.

2010 in summary:

Target|Actual
    4 runs per week|3.19 runs per week|
    32K per week|29.92Km per week|
    Complete 2010 1000-Mile Challenge|975 miles|
    Break 50 minutes for 5 Miles|12th September 2010, 48:12 Bohermeen AC Rennicks Cup 5 Mile|
    Break 60 minutes for 10K|26th June 2010, 1:04:29 Dunshaughlin 10K|
    Weight below 100 kilos| Saw 99.x Kilos momentarily flash up on the scales sometime in September|

What now for 2011?

Pick up where I left off with a minimum of 4 runs per week, with the consequential increase in mileage.

Be more targeted with my racing. While all races should be enjoyable (afterwards if not during) they don’t all have to be a priority. Training should not suffer because of a non-priority race.

I’m loath to put forward target times for this year. They were somewhat of a monkey on my back in 2010.

And finally

A special word of thanks to you, dear reader, who has accompanied me on this journey through 2010. Without the thought of you peering over my shoulder I would not have achieved half the things I did. ;)

Apologies MCS I've been ignoring you! Guilt has kept me out of the training logs for the past month.
    I know exactly what you mean about time targets :(
    However, as far as next year goes... we have 1000 miles to run ;)
    Just get that disc sorted first!

• Advertisement

Disc finally beginning to behave itself and... the flu strikes....

B*gger.

All plans of doing Raheny 5 are now out the window. Tentative plan now is (as soon as flu allows) getting in some decent weeks of regular running, building the mileage to a respectable level. A couple of races in mind in March. How may of them I'll actually race as opposed to run is up for debate. Hope to be firing fully for Dunboyne 4 Mile on March 27th while "featuring" at Meath Senior Cross Country on 6th and making a guest appearance at club's 5 mile on Paddy's Day.

Now, where's that Lemsip....

b*gger indeed that is bad luck :(

Mind yourself mcs. Don't rush things... all in good time.

b*gger indeed that is bad luck :(

Mind yourself mcs. Don't rush things... all in good time.

Ta for that. Good sense is prevailing. It's a long year ahead, with many races and runs available. Would be nice have at least 1 mile done by now, though:(

Ventured out for the first time this year. To describe the experience will only take one word. DOMS. I’d love to say it was great to be out again but I have lost so much in terms of fitness and mental fortitude that the longest stretch without stopping was 2Km.

Monday 7th February 2011 – 5.01Km in 39:55 (7:58 min/Km)
    Tuesday 8th February 2011 – 5.01Km in 39:47 (7:56 min/Km)
    Thursday 10th February 2011 – 5.02Km in 40:16 (8:01 min/Km)

Will be confining my training to the club grounds until such time as I can string a 5Km together.

On a more positive note, at least I have some mileage done this year now!

The “plan”, such as it is, is to build up the mileage slowly, with the hope that I’ll be able to finish the Club’s 5-Mile Race on Paddy’s Day and maybe even enjoy running (not racing) in Dunboyne at the end of March.

If all that works out then I intend to follow the early part of the training plan I used for DCM2010 to get the weekly runs up to 5 per week, and weekly mileage around 30 miles or so. Longest runs will be of the order of 90 minutes. I’ll then target some races later in the year. Any races in the meantime will just be for the hell of it. With the extension of the Meath Road Race League out to 15 events I’ll be kept fairly busy race wise, particularly if I want to compete in all of them.

Total this Week: 15.04Km
    Total this Month: 15.04Km
    Total this Year: 15.04Km
    Runs 3 out of 44 days (6%)

Average runs per week: 0.48
    Average distance per week: 2.39Km

Good to see you posting again

Good to see you posting again

Jeez!! Only just pressed <enter> there. You doing sprint training now?:D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome back :)

Well hey! Good to see you're back in action!

Well hey! Good to see you're back in action!

Like a bad smell I never go away, I just get masked for a while:D

• Advertisement

5.02Km in 37:47 (7:32 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy, Co. Meath

Surprised myself with the pace of this one. The perceived effort was the same as last week’s stumbles so was heartened to see the difference in pace (approx. 30 secs per Km faster). One swallow doesn’t finish your dinner so I’ll keep trudging onwards along the road to fitness recovery.

Total this Week: 5.02Km
    Total this Month: 20.06Km
    Total this Year: 20.06Km
    Runs 4 out of 44 days (9%)

Average runs per week: 0.48
    Average distance per week: 2.39Km

Advertisement