Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vets in Dundalk

• 04-08-2008 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi all,

Really need a quick response on this one.I have a 6 year old golden labrador male, and he is very skinny, not going to the toilet, even though we got tablets to cure constipation off a vet and he isnt walking with us. He sits refusing to budge.

My dad mentioned that he may need to be put down. That really scared me so can someone please tell me of a good vet in Dundalk or surrounding areas.
    I dont have a load of money but im willing to pay as much as I can to get him well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My previous vet isnt great so if I could have any suggestions.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your dog, doesn't sound to me like he would need to be put down though.

I'm not to sure about vets in Dundalk, the name Brian Jones springs to mind not sure where he is based but I think it could be Dundalk, one of my friends highly reccommends him.

If all else fails Allpets on the Donore Rd in Drogheda are fantastic, their number is 041-9810000

In the meantime try and get him to drink plenty of water even use a syringe if you have to, and try him woth some hot chicken or ha, something tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Puppies

Michael Cahill - Dundalk 042 9357000 very good vet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

The Veterinary center on the coes road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Thanks guys really appreciate it.

Is that one on the coes road the one with Orla Brennan, she won some award a few years ago. Sure I will give one of them a shout and I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

Puppies wrote: »
    Michael Cahill - Dundalk 042 9357000 very good vet

Michael Cahill, alphonsus road down by the redempt church...............oh my good, the nicest and most caring vet ever. needed a vet in a hurry one day and my usual was shut so dropped in here and he went out of his way to be helpful. have been to quite a few vets over the years and some of them can tend to be dismissive of the animals but he nearly over does it. call s them baby and chats to them like they're kids. i would go no where else again. it's nearly a pleasure to have a pet ill he just restores your faith in animal lovers. I adore my animals like children and it's nice to think that i'm leaving them with someone who cares as much as i do. there is another vet in the town who hasn't been mentioned here who i think is the animal worlds version of harold shipman!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spottykatt

Avenue road vets(042)9339648

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭sudzs

bettedavis wrote: »
    Michael Cahill, alphonsus road down by the redempt church...............oh my good, the nicest and most caring vet ever. needed a vet in a hurry one day and my usual was shut so dropped in here and he went out of his way to be helpful. have been to quite a few vets over the years and some of them can tend to be dismissive of the animals but he nearly over does it. call s them baby and chats to them like they're kids. i would go no where else again. it's nearly a pleasure to have a pet ill he just restores your faith in animal lovers. I adore my animals like children and it's nice to think that i'm leaving them with someone who cares as much as i do. there is another vet in the town who hasn't been mentioned here who i think is the animal worlds version of harold shipman!!!

Oh no!!! I went there a couple of times and found it too much! Couldn't fault his vetinary skills but I couldn't stomach the cutesy poochy poo talk! Though I wonder if I sent the husband in with the dog would it be the same of would there be a more "manly" consultation.

But yes, good vet but pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Graceland

I always found the vets on the Avenue Road really good. My dog had to have three operations within a couple of years for cancer and they always did a good job. I would definetly recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

We use Brian Jones in Blackrock (beside the entrance to Ard Na Mara) He is an excellent vet and easy on the pocket. He was reccomended to us by a neighbour, who has been using him for years.

Hey guys.

Thanks very much for all your help. I ended up going to the one on the coes road who I wouldnt particularly recommend. Seemed too interested in their pockets than my Frankie, who unfortunately lost his life to cancer last Friday afternoon while getting x rays taken. Although there is a worse vet in Dundalk who I would avoid at all costs. Best not say it here but PM me if you want the name.

I will definitely try one of your suggestions if I was to get another dog.
    Also if you know anyone looking to give a golden labrador a good home we would be only too happy to oblige.

Nicest dog in the world and im going to miss him dearly.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

I found the guys on the Ave rd quite rough and uninterested in the animal. Im also looking for a new vet.

My dog is v big and its quite difficult moving him, do any of the vets call out or would they charge an arm and a leg to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

Hey bored-s,
    sorry to read that your dog didn't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dogsbiz

I personelly have experience with the vets on the coe's road and I have to say there are a mixed bunch. All the girls are really nice and the polish vet could not be more helpful. When going to vets you really need to ask yourself what exactly are you paying for. A fake happy front or a vet that knows ther stuff and will treat your animal to the best of their ability. Most of the veterinary practices in Dundalk are good, just not all the vets in them. (If you know what IM saying)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Very sorry to hear you lost your dog :-(

Mr Magnolia:

Very sorry to hear you lost your dog :-(

gipi:

Hey bored-s,
    sorry to read that your dog didn't make it.

Thanks both of you for your wishes.

Dogsbiz: I know exactly what you mean, the polish girl was lovely and was in tears when she had to break the sad news so she obviously cars for the dogs (unlike the main vet it seemed who couldnt really care less and was very rude basicallly!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭sudzs

I found the guys on the Ave rd quite rough and uninterested in the animal. Im also looking for a new vet.

My dog is v big and its quite difficult moving him, do any of the vets call out or would they charge an arm and a leg to do so?

I found the woman there, Maggie, to be great! Not so happy with the older man though.

but drove past today and the place has been demolished!!! :eek:

Anyone know where they are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spottykatt

Anyone know where they are now?

New building right next door to old one!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Oishbosh

Michael Cahill - Dundalk 042 9357000 very good vet. Brought our new Puppy to him last week. He spent lots of time with the puppy and time explaining everything I need to know. Was very impressed with his skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jets799

anna the polish vet has opened her own clinic on the eco road, she is great and does the best in town as far as i can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭event

jets799 wrote: »
    anna the polish vet has opened her own clinic on the eco road, she is great and does the best in town as far as i can tell.

yep, id second this.

missus used her last week for a new pup, was quite cheap and very nice/helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 racingboo

We also go to Michael Cahill with our four cats (used to be six), and his approach to animals is genuine and sincere. I know some people find the cutesy talk too much, but it's just the way he talks to animals, he's very focused on the job on hand and uses the soothing talk just to calm them.

I think a vet is like a doctor, you really need to find someone you click with. The things which some people love about a vet would be the exact things which put others off her. I think we're blessed to have so many good vets in Dundalk, to suit every personality.

As for cost, I do not agree with a previous poster that Michael Cahill is pricey. While he doesn't run a billing system and you therefore have to pay for the consultation then and there, if you're just upfront and honest with him about your budget and cost limit, he'll be honest in return with your options.

He always also explains the nuts and bolts of treatment to me, which I appreciate.

I should add I've never been to another vet in Dundalk, but I've never, never had reason to want to find elsewhere to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 c.j.coyle

Hi guys,Does anyone know a phone number for Anna and is she still on the eco rd,Dundalk?My budgie broke her claw and i would Appreciate any help on this matter.Thanks in advance.C.J.Coyle

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

c.j.coyle wrote: »
    Hi guys,Does anyone know a phone number for Anna and is she still on the eco rd,Dundalk?My budgie broke her claw and i would Appreciate any help on this matter.Thanks in advance.C.J.Coyle

try 042 9337763

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭mada999

jets799 wrote: »

yup i'd recommend Anna also

• Registered Users Posts: 2 c.j.coyle

Thanks guys.Unfortunately my budgie died from shock i think.Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Sorry to hear CJ

Would also recommend Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

My Cocker Spaniel bitch has had 7 beautiful brown and white pups a month ago (Father a King Charles, both pure bred) Does anyone know how much the Parvo injection costs as I want to get them done soon). Never had dogs before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Ring her and ask

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MugMugs wrote: »
    Ring her and ask

Just did and got a good price for the 7 puppies Parvo injections. 20 e each. Cheers.
    Unless someone has a cheaper place?

• Advertisement
Advertisement