Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how reset a mac to factory settings without disc

• 15-05-2010 3:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭

does anybody know how to retore your macbook without the cd???? i lost the cd and i need to retore to factory settings

if you can help

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

You can get a copy of the disc off a friend, and it'll work. Alternatively, buy Snow Leopard and get an upgrade as part of the process (I'm assuming you're on Leopard atm)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

im not shure weather i have snow leppard on my mac:S i have mac osx 10.6.3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, 10.6 is Snow Leopard. You are fully up-to-date.

You can't "reset" your Macbook without an install disc. What's wrong that you want to do this?

im selling my mac just want to do it propper so its new the way they want it

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Create new administrator account ( new user ) and delete all other user accounts including old admin a/c.

• Advertisement

how do you create a new user on a mac?? iv logged out but there is no option to make a new user ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Go to System Preferences > Accounts

Click the lock and enter your admin password

Click on the + symbol below the list of users on the left

Create a new admin account called Spare or Maintenance or similar

Ensure that you have copied/back up all of the info that you need, as you're about to delete it all. Don't forget the contents of email accounts and bookmarks of all browsers as well as the obvious docs, music and pics.

Log out of your current user account and log back in under the new Spare account.

In the Accounts System Preference, select the user account that you want to delete and click on the - (minus) symbol under the list of users. Choose the delete option, and go and make tea - it may take up to 30 mins to finish deleting, if you had a lot of data.

Note that you won't have deleted the third-party apps that are installed, such as Photoshop etc, so decide whether you want to keep the discs and pass on the installed copies to the new owner (illegal), or either pass on the discs and licence keys, or delete the installed copies and keep the discs and licence keys for your new Mac (legal).

cheers for that mate :) great help

please help

its not letting me delete my current account and i have created 2 new accounts and im clicking the minus sign !!!

please help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A V A wrote: »
    please help

its not letting me delete my current account and i have created 2 new accounts and im clicking the minus sign !!!

please help
    Are you logged in under one of the new accounts when you are trying this? And have you made one of those accounts an admin?

• Advertisement

yes im logged out and how do you make them a admin when i click the lock at the bottom its asks me the admin code of my other main account which i used before

Advertisement