Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

• 02-11-2009 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭

I didnt take me long to think up of the name of my new log.
    I think its fairly appropiate....

Upon reflection of my DCM performance,i have decided to take it "one step at a time" for the next 12 months.

Looking back,if i had of managed sub 3 last week,it would have been a minor miracle,3:14 has left a bad taste in the mouth tbh,but i have put that down to experience now,now i know what it takes to complete a marathon ( something that you need to actually do to understand it,as no amount of reading or talking prepares you for the final 6.2 ).

But,looking back at my training,the only thing i would change is that i didnt race any 10m or halfs.
    My thinking of it was that i knew roughly what times i would do for those races and thought why bother wearing myself out on races that were not going to shock me with the results,i figured that i would save my energy for the training runs instead.
    I now know that racing those distances would have served as fantastic training,of which i could never replicate on my own.

Over my 18 weeks training,i averaged 50m for the first 16 ( not including last 2 weeks of taper ),that coupled with the right races should be enough to get you sub 3 ( i think )

So now then...whats next ?

Well,
    I will be keeping this log going for 12 months,hopefully culminating in a sub 3 effort in DCM10.
    In the interim,there will be lots of short races,10 milers and a couple of halfs ( 1 in 6 weeks ).
    I am hopng to do Cork and Dublin next year...i am thinking seriously of aiming for 3:05 in Cork...then hopefully knocking those 5 mins off in DCM.
    None of this is confirmed,but DCM is certainly a target of mine ( i have to go back there and finish properly next time )
    If i cannot get to Cork or any other in the first 6 months of next year,i will just do Dublin.

How do i hope to knock minutes off 3:14 ?

Well...The plan is to knock a minute of my 5m & 10k,hopfully get my 10m down under 62 and get the half under 82 in prep for Dublin.
    If i can achieve those times and watch my pacing better,i am in with a better chance than this year.

Just a couple of quotes i heard recently that i think anybody attempting their first marathon should really listen to :

You don't always get what you think you deserve at a marathon.

The Marathon is a game of two halves - The first 20m and the last 6.2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I will wait until next week to set up some sort of training program for the half.

I went out for 4 slow (8:40p) miles on Saturday morning.Legs were very heavy but no side effects from Mondays effort.

I also did 6m this morning at 7:55p...felt much better.
    I will only be doing 4/5/6m recovery runs this week.

Next week,i will start picking it up a notch ( a small notch )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

now that sounds like a plan.
    best of luck with it , most people wil run at least 2 or 3 marathons before they atempt sub 3 so by dubin 2010 with another 11 months of running and some PB,s in the races you mentioned you should be perfectly primed to reach your goal time.
    hopefully i will be reaching these goals with you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck with the new log.

SUNGOD wrote: »
    now that sounds like a plan.
    best of luck with it , most people wil run at least 2 or 3 marathons before they atempt sub 3 so by dubin 2010 with another 11 months of running and some PB,s in the races you mentioned you should be perfectly primed to reach your goal time.
    hopefully i will be reaching these goals with you

I am sure you will SG,only a matter of getting yourself right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Looking forward to enjoying your thread again.
    What are your goals for nxt year ? Maybe a marathon like Rotterdam in april should be on the cards ?? If anything it would get you a bit of confidence back.
    12 months is along time to wait to get back on the horse. I was surprised you didnt race the half in KK........Lesson learnt i suppose.
    Plenty of races early in the year. Maybe cork would be worth a shot ??
    After having one bad experience you need to get a positive one. Your times over 5 miles and 10km are def 3 hour material.
    I really thought you would be 2.58-3.02 in dublin. But asc we know we all have bad days...........But on hte plus side your first marathon and a bad one in your eyes in 3.14 aint bad.
    An easy month will do you no harm at all. Recharge the batteries and get the real hunger back.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to enjoying your thread again.
    What are your goals for nxt year ? Maybe a marathon like Rotterdam in april should be on the cards ?? If anything it would get you a bit of confidence back.
    12 months is along time to wait to get back on the horse. I was surprised you didnt race the half in KK........Lesson learnt i suppose.
    Plenty of races early in the year. Maybe cork would be worth a shot ??
    After having one bad experience you need to get a positive one. Your times over 5 miles and 10km are def 3 hour material.
    I really thought you would be 2.58-3.02 in dublin. But asc we know we all have bad days...........But on hte plus side your first marathon and a bad one in your eyes in 3.14 aint bad.
    An easy month will do you no harm at all. Recharge the batteries and get the real hunger back.

Thanks VR,I hope to do 2 next year,we will see how things go.
    All going well,i will be back on that line in Dublin next year.(Cork being the other)
    I messed myself up last Monday,looking back over my splits,i was way to fast for the first 10m,very eratic and was killing myself without even knowing it.
    Training needs a few changes aswell,more 10m/half races and more MP runs

My goals for next year are to improve my times in all distances.....

Ah well thats not for now anyway,Doing very little this week and just build up slowly for the half down here in 6 weeks time.
    You coming down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

Best of luck with the new log. The last one was great so I´ll be looking forward to reading this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Sosa I think your right to leave your sub 3 attempt till next DM. From my own experience I wish thats what I did instead of flogging a dead horse. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good to see your back Sosa .
    New log, new goals, fresh start. Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Jaysus a rift of new logs popping up after DCM! Agree with Abhainn, a new log means a fresh start and a clean vision of your new goals. A halfM or 10m races as B goals would be good pace indicators for you

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

MCOS wrote: »
    Jaysus a rift of new logs popping up after DCM! Agree with Abhainn, a new log means a fresh start and a clean vision of your new goals. A halfM or 10m races as B goals would be good pace indicators for you

Best of luck!

Your reading my mind MCOS,thats the plan.
    I have a half in 6 weeks and a good 10 miler in Dungarvan at the end of January.

They are my immediate goals.

6m @ 7:30 Pace

Found this a struggle tbh,breathing ok,but the legs are still feeling heavy.
    Had to have a nap before dinner after it :eek:

I will take a day off tomorrow and do another 5/6 on Thursday at a slower pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Sosa,
    As always, you make a lot of excellent points that are worthy of comment.
    Sosa wrote: »
    I didnt take me long to think up of the name of my new log.
    I think its fairly appropriate....
    Great name, and a great way to approach training, or running a marathon
    Looking back,if i had of managed sub 3 last week,it would have been a minor miracle
    Looking at your training log I don't agree, I'm sure you're in much better shape than me
    ,now i know what it takes to complete a marathon ( something that you need to actually do to understand it,as no amount of reading or talking prepares you for the final 6.2 ).
    +1 here
    But,looking back at my training,the only thing i would change is that i didnt race any 10m or halfs.
    My thinking of it was that i knew roughly what times i would do for those races and thought why bother wearing myself out on races that were not going to shock me with the results,i figured that i would save my energy for the training runs instead.
    I now know that racing those distances would have served as fantastic training,of which i could never replicate on my own.

I think the main benefit would be pacing in a race situation - though if you're looking to do a really hard session a race is a great way to achieve that.
    Over my 18 weeks training,i averaged 50m for the first 16 ( not including last 2 weeks of taper ),that coupled with the right races should be enough to get you sub 3 ( i think )
    Yep
    So now then...whats next ?

How do i hope to knock minutes off 3:14 ?
    I think in reality you're much closer than 14 mins. A little bit too quick at the start = very slow at the end. I had a look back at my racing times for last year and I was only a little bit quicker this year, though in every case I finished in much better shape. This leads me to believe that my debacle last year was down to early pace.

Well...The plan is to knock a minute of my 5m & 10k,hopfully get my 10m down under 62 and get the half under 82 in prep for Dublin.
    If i can achieve those times and watch my pacing better,i am in with a better chance than this year.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the shorter ones, though they'll fit in nicely with most programs. I reckon your 10mile and half goals would easily see you doing a sub 3.

Just a couple of quotes i heard recently that i think anybody attempting their first marathon should really listen to :

You don't always get what you think you deserve at a marathon.
    and boy do I know what that means....

Looking forward to the new log, best of luck reaching all your goals!!

aero2k wrote: »
    I think in reality you're much closer than 14 mins. A little bit too quick at the start = very slow at the end.quote]

I bit off more than i could chew with sub 3,but i think i could have gotten a 3:05 out of it,if i had paced for that (properly) from the start i don't think that i would have needed to walk at all,straight away thats 8 minutes.
    I clearly hit the wall at 20 as everything just shut down on me,lesson learned,that may not have happened (or if it did,it would have been much later) if i set out for a 3:05...but then again.....who trains for a 3:05 marathon ?

Answer : Me

If i do 2 marathons next year,the first will be a sub 3:05 attempt.
    then,hopefully Dublin for another crack at sub 3.
    The idea is to train for sub 3 for the 3:05 and train for a 2:50/55 for the sub 3 attempt.
    If i cant do 2,i will just wait for Dublin and scrap the 3:05 approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

That's the right approach I reckon, pretty much what I did for Rotterdam and Amsterdam. Even though I fell short in the end I still think it was the right way to go, I was pitching my PMP runs at 6:45 rather than 6:51 for example and so 4:15/kms felt good on teh day.

I suppose my only question would be over teh choice of marathons - I get doing Dublin again to slay the dragon (again something I did in my 2nd year of running) but I'm not sure Cork is ideal for a fast race. It's pretty hilly and has been hot for the last couple of years. Not reasons not to do it but if confidence is fragile another result that's not in line with training could be tough to cope with and I'm pretty sure that Cork is a good bit slower than Dublin. Are you set on teh idea or would you look at alternatives? Longford is quite close to Dublin time wise but is very flat and traffic free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

On choice of marathon, what about edinburugh. Its a fast course, flights are cheap at the moment (in on the sat out on the sunday), there is support on the course (unlike longford). The date in may will give you sufficient time to enjoy some of the shorter distance races, ballycotton, national 10k etc etc, worth thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

Looking forward to the new log Sosa. Best of luck

That's the right approach I reckon, pretty much what I did for Rotterdam and Amsterdam. Even though I fell short in the end I still think it was the right way to go, I was pitching my PMP runs at 6:45 rather than 6:51 for example and so 4:15/kms felt good on teh day.

I suppose my only question would be over teh choice of marathons - I get doing Dublin again to slay the dragon (again something I did in my 2nd year of running) but I'm not sure Cork is ideal for a fast race. It's pretty hilly and has been hot for the last couple of years. Not reasons not to do it but if confidence is fragile another result that's not in line with training could be tough to cope with and I'm pretty sure that Cork is a good bit slower than Dublin. Are you set on teh idea or would you look at alternatives? Longford is quite close to Dublin time wise but is very flat and traffic free.
    wizwill wrote: »
    On choice of marathon, what about edinburugh. Its a fast course, flights are cheap at the moment (in on the sat out on the sunday), there is support on the course (unlike longford). The date in may will give you sufficient time to enjoy some of the shorter distance races, ballycotton, national 10k etc etc, worth thinking about.

Yeah,i have been told that recently alright.
    I am far from set on those two,open to suggestions.
    I would like to do Edinburgh in May,i must look into that later.

Can you fly to Edinburgh from Cork ?
    although the new road will be open in May,that will get us to Dublin Airport ( from waterford )( in 1:40...i'm told...is this right ? )

But before i get carried away with plans for two marathons,i will have to check in with the OH...realistically i would not want to leave it to long as Edinburgh will be sold out.
    I will leave it a week or 2,if i mention the word "marathon" anytime soon,she might just burn all my gear :D

Not interested in Longford...i like the crowds.
    Dukie wrote: »
    Looking forward to the new log Sosa. Best of luck

Thanks Duke...when are you starting yours ?
    Don't be shy !

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

Maybe I might, you never know...
    I could call it "Bambi's little feck legs" :D

Thanks VR,I hope to do 2 next year,we will see how things go.
    All going well,i will be back on that line in Dublin next year.(Cork being the other)
    I messed myself up last Monday,looking back over my splits,i was way to fast for the first 10m,very eratic and was killing myself without even knowing it.
    I am away that weekend. ~Typical. Take an easy 2-3 weeks and jog around the half in 90 min. I always try to take a few weeks off after a hard cycle of training.
    Dont worry bout your marathon time. You know your a 3.05 man at worst.
    What did you go through 10 m iles in ?

Plenty of races early in new year to get you sharp.

• Advertisement

I am away that weekend. ~Typical. Take an easy 2-3 weeks and jog around the half in 90 min. I always try to take a few weeks off after a hard cycle of training.
    Dont worry bout your marathon time. You know your a 3.05 man at worst.
    What did you go through 10 m iles in ?

Plenty of races early in new year to get you sharp.

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/17805597

Splits all over the place...realised after a while i better slow down..it was to late...damage done.

I have loads of races in the new year to keep me occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Can you fly to Edinburgh from Cork ?
    although the new road will be open in May,that will get us to Dublin Airport ( from waterford )( in 1:40...i'm told...is this right ? )
    You can fly to Barcelona from Cork (return), for the princely sum of €89.33.
    What a great way to celebrate the birthday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Interesting reading. Looks something like my first marathon last year, only 10 minutes faster. You were really flying until mile 15. Miles 3-9 look way too fast for a sub-3 (closer to 2:54 pace). Mile 24 = Soul destroying (I've been there!). With even pacing you'll comfortably get under the three hours.

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/17805597

Splits all over the place...realised after a while i better slow down..it was to late...damage done.

I have loads of races in the new year to keep me occupied.

Up to 9 is prob ok but 9-13 is a gradual climb. I lost time pacing the marathon there because i knew from 07 that it was tough and it hurt me.

A ny fixtures for the new year ?

We might get in a long run in hte new year before the Dungarvan 10. Mrs wants to go on a holiday that week. Sad but i would rather run the 10 miler.

You were really flying until mile 15. Miles 3-9 look way too fast for a sub-3 (closer to 2:54 pace). Mile 24 = Soul destroying (I've been there!).

I was,and i knew i was going to fast,even though from 16 on i started slipping,i did that purposely as i thought that if i did a few slower miles that i would be ok.
    I started getting dizzy at the tail end of the 19th mile,had to stop...and then the wings got clipped !

Miles 3-9 was just naivety,it wont happen next time as i now know what happens when you go out to fast

as Aero2k said to me
    To fast at the start = Very slow at the end

5m @ 7:21p

Delighted with this as i have been really tired since Tuesdays run @ 7:30 pace and i was thinking that it was going to be a while before i run anyway decent again.
    I set out to do 8 min miles but found myself getting going after mile 1 so i clipped along nicely.
    Not going to get carried away though,i will do another 4/5 tomorrow but i will hold it to 8:00 pace.

I have been thinking about this half marathon and i am not sure if i will be up to a full on race.
    Its still 5 weeks away,i could be chomping at the bit by then...
    Who knows ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck with the new log. Interesting to see the splits from the marathon...at least its clear what went wrong....10sec/mile too fast may seem like not a lot but its the difference between your 5km race pace and your 5 mile race pace...think how far you'd get in a 5 mile race if you ran half it at your 5km race pace....

You've definetly got sub 3 and faster ability...I'm not going to say you'll run it comfortably or easily in your next marathon but I'm sure you will achieve it alright in your next, but now that you have experienced the last 6.2 miles of a marathon you know how tough it is and it will never come easy....when you hit 20 miles you've still got 42min of the toughest running mentally and physically to go you know it'll be brutal no matter how well prepared you are (if its not.....you've set the bar too low :)). Reading a couple of race reports from DCM of people who acheived their target and excelled.....none of it was easy on the day, they had to dig real deep.

Anyways, hope to see you at the Waterford HM and a couple of the 10mile races.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new log. Interesting to see the splits from the marathon...at least its clear what went wrong....10sec/mile too fast may seem like not a lot but its the difference between your 5km race pace and your 5 mile race pace...think how far you'd get in a 5 mile race if you ran half it at your 5km race pace....

Yeah,i'm going mad that i did that.
    Its not as if i thought i could keep up that pace all the way round or got cocky or anything,i just got caught up in the whole event and thought that i would just tail off a bit and everything would be ok,even though i know it does not work that way...again...my mind was not thinking straight,i was enjoyinng myself to much

You've definetly got sub 3 and faster ability...I'm not going to say you'll run it comfortably or easily in your next marathon but I'm sure you will achieve it alright in your next, but now that you have experienced the last 6.2 miles of a marathon you know how tough it is and it will never come easy....when you hit 20 miles you've still got 42min of the toughest running mentally and physically to go you know it'll be brutal no matter how well prepared you are (if its not.....you've set the bar too low :)). Reading a couple of race reports from DCM of people who acheived their target and excelled.....none of it was easy on the day, they had to dig real deep.

Big dissapointment that i put in that muh effort into the training only to fcuk it up on the day by not concentrating.
    Whatever about sub 3,3:05 was there for the taking but i will just have to wait for my next one.

Anyways, hope to see you at the Waterford HM and a couple of the 10mile races.

Yeah,i will be doing the half alright,dont know yet what kind of time i will be capable of in 5 weeks,hoping to have a right go,but i wont be rushing back to any sort of speed work for at least another 10 days.
    -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good luck with the new log sosa - i have to laugh, at one stage during the summer i thought we were both safe bets for the sub3...how wrong was I :) We both managed to screw it up..next year wha' - older and wiser.

• Advertisement

5.2m @ 8:28 Pace

My first run with Sungod in about 10 weeks,hopefully he has seen the end of his injuries now and get back running the way he was early in the year.

The run itself was nice and handy,as we both wanted...nice jacuzzi and sauna afterwards...lovely

Advertisement